Fallout 4 being weird since upgrading from 4070 to 7900XT

Go to solution Solved by Salted Spinach,
15 hours ago, fastfishy2 said:

1) Quick search points to Weapon Debris being an Nvidia Physx/Gameworks exclusive feature. It makes sense that you are not affected if this feature is bugged... if it will not work with your GPU to begin with

https://steamcommunity.com/app/377160/discussions/0/458606248626425072

2) FO4's in-game vsync might be overriding your settings in Windows or Adrenaline. Disable the game's vsync

In Fallout 4 (and any other Bethesda game on the Creation Engine) V-Sync is forced on with no option to disable it without editing the config files. Problem is the physics and other aspects of the engine is tied to your FPS so disabling V-Sync thus increasing FPS over the set limit can cause allsorts of undesirable consequences. In Skyrim it caused serious issues (dat bumpy cart ride) and in Fallout 4 it seems to mess up lockpicking, accessing terminals, making you move at hyper speed and other things.

By default Fallout 4's V-Sync limits your FPS to half of your monitors refresh rate. For example i have a 144hz monitor so with V-Sync on i'm limited to 72fps max at all times.

The abovesaid behavior suggests that FO4 might disregard your display settings and force itself to match the display's 75hz reported refresh rate. (It will not halve a 75hz refresh rate because it is already lower than 120hz)

Follow the guide to get rid of the game's vsync so that it obeys the  Windows and graphics driver settings. That reddit post suggests to get rid of all vsync due to input lag and rely on a framerate cap. I'll let you decide if its worth it.

Quick search also shows the existence of mods that allow an uncapped framerate without breaking the game physics

I dont play FO4 myself

Managed to get a 7900XT on steep discount and got a good price for my 4070, so here I am with a Radeon for the first time in 8 years. 

Loving it so far, however there's a couple of things that are taking a bit of adjusting to.

Fallout 4 in particular is behaving a bit odd.

1) There is no option anywhere for "weapon debris" so I can't turn it on, even though I now have a GPU that's not affected by the weapon debris crash bug.

2) When I run the game in fullscreen mode, it runs at a capped 75 fps. This is a problem because I have my monitor set to 60hz, I have Vsync forced, and Fallout as usual starts being weird with physics above 60 fps. It obeys the 60fps limit when in borderless window, but I'd prefer to run it fullscreen because it seems to run a bit smoother that way.

If you know any solutions to this, please let me know. I did DDU the nvidia drivers before shutting down the PC and removing my 4070, so there should be nothing left of them.

23 minutes ago, fastfishy2 said:

Managed to get a 7900XT on steep discount and got a good price for my 4070, so here I am with a Radeon for the first time in 8 years. 

Loving it so far, however there's a couple of things that are taking a bit of adjusting to.

1) There is no option anywhere for "weapon debris" so I can't turn it on, even though I now have a GPU that's not affected by the weapon debris crash bug.

2) When I run the game in fullscreen mode, it runs at a capped 75 fps. This is a problem because I have my monitor set to 60hz, I have Vsync forced, and Fallout as usual starts being weird with physics above 60 fps. It obeys the 60fps limit when in borderless window, but I'd prefer to run it fullscreen because it seems to run a bit smoother that way.

If you know any solutions to this, please let me know. I did DDU the nvidia drivers before shutting down the PC and removing my 4070, so there should be nothing left of them.

Uhhhhhhh my best guess is nvidia control panel reinstalled drivers before you shut down? How long did you wait before shutting down? Also you never mentioned reinstalling amd drivers.

Although to be fair, @kb5zue, as far as im aware, if he had no gpu driver the game wouldn't even launch. Mine always defaults to microsoft basic display adapter, which has NO direct X OR openGL OR vulkan support.

58 minutes ago, fastfishy2 said:

What's your Windows refresh rate ? With VSync on there's no way the game will run above that...

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

29 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

What's your Windows refresh rate ? With VSync on there's no way the game will run above that...

59.95 hz. Monitor can go up to 75 but I have it set lower in display settings.

I will also note this is according to the steam FPS counter, and Adrenaline records the last average framerate for fo4 as being 75. Theres no screen tearing happening though.

1 hour ago, kb5zue said:

You mentioned using DDU to remove the old Nvidia drivers but you didn't say anything about installing the Adrenaline software/drivers for the 7900xt.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/software/adrenalin.html

Take care and good luck.

I did install the adrenaline software and AMD drivers as soon as booting up with the new card.

I used DDU's "remove and shutdown" option after which I removed the 4070. Theoretically it shouldn't have had a chance to reinstall any Nvidia drivers. And I definitely have Radeon drivers installed.

I did have it working on fullscreen for a bit, then I changed a setting for vsync in Adrenaline and it's been whacky ever since. I did check that it's set to enforce vsync, so I'm not sure what it's doing.

26 minutes ago, fastfishy2 said:

I did install the adrenaline software and AMD drivers as soon as booting up with the new card.

I used DDU's "remove and shutdown" option after which I removed the 4070. Theoretically it shouldn't have had a chance to reinstall any Nvidia drivers. And I definitely have Radeon drivers installed.

I did have it working on fullscreen for a bit, then I changed a setting for vsync in Adrenaline and it's been whacky ever since. I did check that it's set to enforce vsync, so I'm not sure what it's doing.

Disable everything in Adrenalin to test, I think the game has a Sync option if you need it

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

2 hours ago, PDifolco said:

Disable everything in Adrenalin to test, I think the game has a Sync option if you need it

everything in adrenaline is already disabled except for the sync option and antialiasing override (because I don't like TAA)

have you tried installing just the drivers and not the whole adrenalin package? I just got a 6700xt and something similar happened where the OpenCl.dll file was somehow corrupted or missing. I just DDU'd my AMD drivers again, installed just the drivers for my card and suddenly my card supported OpenCL again.

My guess is that AMD's autodetect software is a bunch of bullshit

Hopefully this helps!

7 hours ago, fastfishy2 said:

everything in adrenaline is already disabled except for the sync option and antialiasing override (because I don't like TAA)

Could you try disabling everything to check if stutters come from here ? I've also had issues in some game with sync...

1 hour ago, PDifolco said:

Could you try disabling everything to check if stutters come from here ? I've also had issues in some game with sync...

I'll disable everything in adrenaline and see if I can get the game to behave again. I'm also trying to find out how to do the equivalent of "prefer maximum performance" that I could do on my Nvidia cards, but there's no option for that in adrenaline software.

Just now, fastfishy2 said:

I'll disable everything in adrenaline and see if I can get the game to behave again. I'm also trying to find out how to do the equivalent of "prefer maximum performance" that I could do on my Nvidia cards, but there's no option for that in adrenaline software.

Ok

In Adrenalin you get "max performance" by tweaking PL and clocks/voltage, but that won't do anything for massive stutters

What you could look at too is in GPU-Z what's shown as power, voltage and "perfcap"

15 hours ago, fastfishy2 said:

1) Quick search points to Weapon Debris being an Nvidia Physx/Gameworks exclusive feature. It makes sense that you are not affected if this feature is bugged... if it will not work with your GPU to begin with

https://steamcommunity.com/app/377160/discussions/0/458606248626425072

2) FO4's in-game vsync might be overriding your settings in Windows or Adrenaline. Disable the game's vsync

In Fallout 4 (and any other Bethesda game on the Creation Engine) V-Sync is forced on with no option to disable it without editing the config files. Problem is the physics and other aspects of the engine is tied to your FPS so disabling V-Sync thus increasing FPS over the set limit can cause allsorts of undesirable consequences. In Skyrim it caused serious issues (dat bumpy cart ride) and in Fallout 4 it seems to mess up lockpicking, accessing terminals, making you move at hyper speed and other things.

By default Fallout 4's V-Sync limits your FPS to half of your monitors refresh rate. For example i have a 144hz monitor so with V-Sync on i'm limited to 72fps max at all times.

The abovesaid behavior suggests that FO4 might disregard your display settings and force itself to match the display's 75hz reported refresh rate. (It will not halve a 75hz refresh rate because it is already lower than 120hz)

Follow the guide to get rid of the game's vsync so that it obeys the  Windows and graphics driver settings. That reddit post suggests to get rid of all vsync due to input lag and rely on a framerate cap. I'll let you decide if its worth it.

Quick search also shows the existence of mods that allow an uncapped framerate without breaking the game physics

I dont play FO4 myself