Show off your latest purchases

9 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

I realized it just after I posted and didn't edit fast enough. :P

O well, TF3 still dankass overall.

I'll take your word for that, haven't tested it yet.  Until then, my Windforce is masterrace :P

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

13 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

I'll take your word for that, haven't tested it yet.  Until then, my Windforce is masterrace :P

I love this cooler. I bought one that was off either a 7950 or 7970 (can't remember which), and after a simple dremel to part of the heatsink and VRM/RAM plate to fit around a DVI connector and some caps, respectively, the temperatures are incredible. With MX-4, the hottest temp I've seen is 65C with the fans moseying along at 33-35%. It may not be as quiet as something newer, but given the 75mm fans and the fact that the heatsink is narrower than the fans, it's freaking impressive.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

On February 27, 2017 at 3:33 PM, Vulrax said:

Recently Bought Wallpaper Engine

What's that?

On March 1, 2017 at 6:23 AM, Princess Cadence said:

Now with the recent release of the GTX1080ti I feel stupid with one of these in my hand right now:

Reveal hidden contents

UYDB0vG.jpg

But it was no purchase for what is worth, it was a trade, my old Maxwell Titan X plus a Zotac GTX 1070 Founders Edition for it, only 1 month used. The guy who bought it regretted and needed to retrieve some cash to pay off his car fix, and when trying to sell it he got a great offer but the person thought it was the Maxwell one, so my brother made a deal with him, he sold my old Titan, got my brothers 1070 which he wasn't even using much, just plays CS:GO and LoL so our old GTX 560ti was enough replacement.

he did go through it all to give me the XP as a birthday gift and also we can use my rig for the single player AAA no need for two high end rigs so it was a cool deal, we just need a beefier 4k TV eventually at the end of the year, playing with this at the 40ich 1920x1080p is the definition of overkill, and yes the 1080ti made us both more upset than happy, at least we still have the only card that can trade blows with it xD

You shouldn't feel bad since you still have a very good graphics card.  ?

Especially if your brother was so nice and went through so much effort to get it for you.  

I'm very tempted to get a 1080 ti for 4K gaming even though I just got a 1070 last June since the 1070 isn't really enough for 4K depending on the game.  

Though I also need a 4K tv or monitor.  ?

On March 1, 2017 at 8:57 AM, tmcclelland455 said:

I can't fucking wrap my head around the 11GB bullshit. 10GB? Okay. 12GB? Sure. 11GB? Who the fuck was drunk this time?

Me either.  I want a 1080 ti but I know that 11GB would drive me nuts.  lol

On March 1, 2017 at 11:24 AM, M.Yurizaki said:

If we have a look at the Titan XP block diagram, you'll notice there's 12 memory controllers. Each of those memory controllers goes to one of the memory chips. Memory in a GPU is basically one big happy RAID0. Since the 1080 Ti is a neutered Titan XP (I mean, it has to be), NVIDIA simply lopped off one of the memory controllers or they lopped off one of the ROP units and lopped off a memory controller as well to avoid another 970 fiasco.

I mean, the PS3 had 7 SPUs instead of the Cell's planned 8 in order to maximize yield.

But couldn't they have made it 10GB instead of 11?    10 is still better than a 1080 but without that odd numbered ickyness...

On March 1, 2017 at 0:09 PM, M.Yurizaki said:

11 is a prime number. Prime numbers are fun. Silly people and their even numbers.

It's still an odd number.  I HATE odd numbers...  They hurt my possibly OCD brain. lol

How are they "fun"?  ?

17 hours ago, tmcclelland455 said:

I realized it just after I posted and didn't edit fast enough. :P

O well, TF3 still dankass overall.

How can you tell what it is with no label?

17 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

What's this to be used for if I assume it's not as powerful as your 780?

2 hours ago, deadmoo5e said:

bestaende-bestikkstativ-hvit__0247585_PE

What is that?

16 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

But couldn't they have made it 10GB instead of 11?    10 is still better than a 1080 but without that odd numbered ickyness...

Because you'd get worse performance.

Each memory chip is tied to a memory controller. The bandwidth of the GPU isn't the bandwidth per memory chip. It's the combined bandwidth of all of the memory chips. If you went with 10 GB, which would involve lopping off another memory controller (unless you can find a combination of 11 chips of equal size that totals 10GB), you'd get 440 GB/s rather than 484 GB/s.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Because you'd get worse performance.

Each memory chip is tied to a memory controller. The bandwidth of the GPU isn't the bandwidth per memory chip. It's the combined bandwidth of all of the memory chips. If you went with 10 GB, which would involve lopping off another memory controller (unless you can find a combination of 11 chips of equal size that totals 10GB), you'd get 440 GB/s rather than 484 GB/s.

Would that make that much difference in performance?  

Just now, Bleedingyamato said:

Would that make that much difference in performance?  

Probably at worst 10%, but I think it would be an incredibly stupid decision to to lop off 1GB of VRAM and 48GB/sec in bandwidth just because people are annoyed it's not an even number.

35 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

It's for a budget build I'm doing.  

And yeah, it says Twin Frozr III in the corner. 

31 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Probably at worst 10%, but I think it would be an incredibly stupid decision to to lop off 1GB of VRAM and 48GB/sec in bandwidth just because people are annoyed it's not an even number.

If that 48GB/sec would only be at most 10% I could live with it.

At least from a strictly VRAM perspective even 10GB is a bit overkill isn't it?  11 even more so?

26 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

It's for a budget build I'm doing.  

And yeah, it says Twin Frozr III in the corner. 

Nice.

The Twin Frozr III is unique to the 680?

Just now, Bleedingyamato said:

At least from a strictly VRAM perspective even 10GB is a bit overkill isn't it?  11 even more so?

Nice.

I dunno.

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

What is that?

Something to put your dish washer brush in

11 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

That didn't stop AMD from putting 8GB on the RX 480 when it doesn't really need it. Or other cards.

But again, dropping the VRAM from 11GB to 10GB just because you're annoyed it's "not even" is a stupid design decision.

I brougt 2 Greggs (UK Bakery lol) sausage rolls & a slice of pepperoni pizza!!! mmmmm

Just got a zte axon elite. 

images.jpg

It's a bit older. 2015, has an SD 810, 3GB RAM, a 1080p 5.5" display. But it's one hell  of a step up from a moto g with an SD 400, a GB of RAM and a 720p display. 

Plus, I got it new for 180$ shipped. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Guessing skillz.

35 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

They used it for both teams. Guess which card is which (options are 680 and 7970).

eksdee.png

epeen.png

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

23 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

That didn't stop AMD from putting 8GB on the RX 480 when it doesn't really need it. Or other cards.

But again, dropping the VRAM from 11GB to 10GB just because you're annoyed it's "not even" is a stupid design decision.

8GB though gives it enough to account for games now or in the near future that may need that much VRAM or close to it.  Even 10GB is more than enough.

Spoiler

image.png

Looking at this chart from the RE7 benchmark topic you can see even at 1080p it seems to use a little over 4GB.  With almost 6GB at 4K.  It's hinting at trend towards higher VRAM use I think.  

So having 8GB is hardly too much.  Even 10 on a 1080 ti would keep it relevant plenty long enough.  

Though I do admit that however minor a drop I suppose I'd prefer an even amount of VRAM without any performance drop.  Since that isn't possible I assume I can see how it's better to have 11GB than a lower performing card.  

10 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Guessing skillz.

They used it for both teams. Guess which card is which (options are 680 and 7970).

Is the bottom card the AMD one?

3 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

8GB though gives it enough to account for games now or in the near future that may need that much VRAM or close to it.  Even 10GB is more than enough.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png

Looking at this chart from the RE7 benchmark topic you can see even at 1080p it seems to use a little over 4GB.  With almost 6GB at 4K.  It's hinting at trend towards higher VRAM use I think.  

So having 8GB is hardly too much.  Even 10 on a 1080 ti would keep it relevant plenty long enough.  

Though I do admit that however minor a drop I suppose I'd prefer an even amount of VRAM without any performance drop.  Since that isn't possible I assume I can see how it's better to have 11GB than a lower performing card.  

I would argue that it's not needed. I've seen a lot of comparisons of texture qualities between maximum and high (or the one below it) and almost always there's barely any quality differences. I would wage if you had a blind test, a lot of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference. And yet despite that, you get a huge increase of VRAM consumption. If I were to put any theory as to why this is happening, I look back at when Doom 3 had an "Ultra quality" texture patch. It offered almost no improvement in quality over the "Very High" setting because all that was happening was that "Ultra quality" was just the textures without texture compression. Texture compression is not only lossless, but predictable. And it's probably a "free" feature these days.

I would also argue that people need to let go of their OCDness for "even" amounts. Otherwise you should be complaining why screen resolutions aren't "even". Why 1920x1080? Why not 2000x1000? Why 3840x2160? Why not 4000x2000?

2 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

What's that?

You shouldn't feel bad since you still have a very good graphics card.  ?

Especially if your brother was so nice and went through so much effort to get it for you.  

I'm very tempted to get a 1080 ti for 4K gaming even though I just got a 1070 last June since the 1070 isn't really enough for 4K depending on the game.  

Though I also need a 4K tv or monitor.  ?

Me either.  I want a 1080 ti but I know that 11GB would drive me nuts.  lol

It's still an odd number.  I HATE odd numbers...  They hurt my possibly OCD brain. lol

How are they "fun"?  ?

What is that?

Wallpaper engine is a steam "game" that allows you to make or download moving wallpapers, it can also have the wallpapers make sound.

Send me pics of dogs, cats or animals

❤️ @Sylvie05

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I would argue that it's not needed. I've seen a lot of comparisons of texture qualities between maximum and high (or the one below it) and almost always there's barely any quality differences. I would wage if you had a blind test, a lot of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference. And yet despite that, you get a huge increase of VRAM consumption. If I were to put any theory as to why this is happening, I look back at when Doom 3 had an "Ultra quality" texture patch. It offered almost no improvement in quality over the "Very High" setting because all that was happening was that "Ultra quality" was just the textures without texture compression. Texture compression is not only lossless, but predictable. And it's probably a "free" feature these days.

I would also argue that people need to let go of their OCDness for "even" amounts. Otherwise you should be complaining why screen resolutions aren't "even". Why 1920x1080? Why not 2000x1000? Why 3840x2160? Why not 4000x2000?

Hmmm..  Perhaps it will become more necessary in the future?    A safe bet would be that eventually there will be more noticeable visual improvements from VRAM intensive features.

One thing I'm curious about:  If someone tried to max out the settings on a game like RE7 at 1080p, using a card like a 4GB GTX 980 for example, which uses more than 4GB of VRAM.  What would happen?

If you tried to run a game at settings that use more VRAM than a graphics card has I mean.

Btw, 1920 is an even number so is 1080.  Same is true for 3840 and 2160.  So at lesst for my those don't bother me it seems.  ?

36 minutes ago, Vulrax said:

Wallpaper engine is a steam "game" that allows you to make or download moving wallpapers, it can also have the wallpapers make sound.

Ah.  That's cool.  

4 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Is the bottom card the AMD one?

10/10 you dun nailered it

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

21 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

10/10 you dun nailered it

Yay!  I think I got lucky though.  ?

I thought that was the AMD card because the end of the pcb gave it a rectangular/boxy look that I've noticed on other AMD GPUs people have shown pictures of.  

Found one of these stinkers.  Going right into my figurine collection.

IMG_20170303_193422739.jpg

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

On 3/3/2017 at 1:12 AM, Bleedingyamato said:

One thing I'm curious about:  If someone tried to max out the settings on a game like RE7 at 1080p, using a card like a 4GB GTX 980 for example, which uses more than 4GB of VRAM.  What would happen?

If you tried to run a game at settings that use more VRAM than a graphics card has I mean.

I have a GTX 980 and when the VRAM required is above 4GB the game stutters or crashes at times. (Tried it with Shadow of Mordor and Batman Arkham Knight)

CPU Intel Core i7-5930K @ 3.5 GHz Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 2800MHz GPU 2 x Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming (SLI)

Case Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 (Gray) Storage 2 x 1TB 850 Pro, 2 x 4TB WD Black PSU Corsair AX1500i (1500W) Display Asus PG348Q Ultrawide - G-Sync

Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H100i Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma Mouse Razer Mamba Sound Logitech G633 Operating System Windows 10

On March 3, 2017 at 8:21 PM, Ithanul said:

Found one of these stinkers.  Going right into my figurine collection.

Are you you going to get a Switch and Breath of the Wild too?

What's that on the right?

Are you getting the other Breath of the Wild Amiibo?

Do you open your amiibo and/or figures or leave them in the boxes?

7 minutes ago, Xsinar said:

I have a GTX 980 and when the VRAM required is above 4GB the game stutters or crashes at times. (Tried it with Shadow of Mordor and Batman Arkham Knight)

Interesting.  Unfortunate for you but interesting.