What's something so overrated but not actually that good?

RainbowPee

Society

Apple

Religion

Government

Environmentalism

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Anything Apple related

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

Dunno.

It's easy to type a long list of things here, but they are too well known for being overrated by this community. 

Shall I mention Apple, Alienware, certain video games that are released every few years? 

No, this community and PC communities in general know that the aforementioned are overrated. 

If you really want to turn heads, find something within the PC community that everyone loves - and say it's overrated. 

Ryzen 7600X | MSI Trio X 3080 | 3440x1440p asus vg34vql1b | Antec HCG 850 | 1TB WD Blue SSD | 500GB Aorus Elite | Asus B650 Strix A

Dunno.

It's easy to type a long list of things here, but they are too well known for being overrated by this community. 

Shall I mention Apple, Alienware, certain video games that are released every few years? 

No, this community and PC communities in general know that the aforementioned are overrated. 

If you really want to turn heads, find something within the PC community that everyone loves - and say it's overrated. 

Linux

Motherboard companies driver support. It's a pain in the ass to have to install it manually.

Linux

Motherboard companies driver support. It's a pain in the ass to have to install it manually.

Nah, I can agree with both of those and see that PoV.

You need to dig deeper, into peoples personal preferences. Apple fans prefer Apple products, why? 

We'd have to find a similar thing in the PC community. 

If you look at the definition of overrated, 'have a higher opinion of (someone or something) than is deserved.'

We can apply this to many things in the PC and PC gaming industry. You'll get hate for it though. In fact, it'd be better off calling the thread, 'unpopular hardware/pc opinions'. 

Ryzen 7600X | MSI Trio X 3080 | 3440x1440p asus vg34vql1b | Antec HCG 850 | 1TB WD Blue SSD | 500GB Aorus Elite | Asus B650 Strix A

your mom

#rekt

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

Macro's, hot keys, controllers, Steam, Team Fortress 2.

Cronuts

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Beats and beats and beats and beats and beats, oh not the food the headphones

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

Linux. Chrome. iOS. Android. Nationalism. Humanism. Freedom. University. Youth. World traveling. Art. Avant Garde. Innovation. Originality.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

The Pentium G3258. Honestly, it's cheap, but not powerful enough for me to recommend it to anyone.

You can overclock it as much as you want, fine, but seriously, where have we seen this before? Every FX chip ever built? Every K-series chip ever built?

People nerdgasmed too much over it. Pentiums were solid processors way back in the day, but I would never go near one in this day and age when we have i5s, i7s, FXs and APUs.

It's a thing to have just to say you have it.

The Pentium G3258. Honestly, it's cheap, but not powerful enough for me to recommend it to anyone.

You can overclock it as much as you want, fine, but seriously, where have we seen this before? Every FX chip ever built? Every K-series chip ever built?

People nerdgasmed too much over it. Pentiums were solid processors way back in the day, but I would never go near one in this day and age when we have i5s, i7s, FXs and APUs.

It's a thing to have just to say you have it.

You said it yourself. It's cheap. Comparing it to an i3/i5/i7 is dumb since that's not what it's geared towards. It's aimed squarely at the AMD offerings and is priced accordingly.

As for overrated things:

Linux (mainly because I can't get AMD drivers to work properly on it)

Apple (granted, iPods were done right)

Spotify

The Big Lebowski

Smartwatches (and Google Glass)

"pcmasterrace", so many problems occur, every time a problem occurs to my pc (even if as simple as an over/underscaling issue that was supposedly fixed on the pc a long time ago) I just say "pcmasterrace yeaaaaaaa" sarcastically 

also linux(specially ubuntu), I do apt-get install lm-sensors to view my temps and it gives me an error, I try to install unigine, 2 hours later I manage to get it to work, I click start nothing happens, no unified user friendly installation wizard, it just feels like it is still in beta

person below me is a scrub

Not trying to start a fight, but

You said it yourself. It's cheap. Comparing it to an i3/i5/i7 is dumb since that's not what it's geared towards.

the 4670k being 2x pentium-k's for 3x the price

They are based on the exact same architecture, and you can overclock it so much as to be able to comfortably game on it. this statement above is pretty sound.

In any case, it makes a lot more sense to save your pennies for a bit more and buy something even a bit more powerful, one that will set you in terms of gaming for a lot longer, because dual-cores are close to becoming obsolete for gaming.

Back on the subject of more overrated things, Liquid coolers. I feel like a lot of people for the longest time have felt that you need a liquid cooler to overclock your machine. No. Just get a good cooler in general and you're gold.

They are based on the exact same architecture, and you can overclock it so much as to be able to comfortably game on it. this statement above is pretty sound.

So your rationing for the G3258 being overrated is because the i3/i5/i7 have the same architecture? I don't follow.

Those processors are more expensive. It's not in direct competition with those processors. 

There's a reason people recommend AMD processors for budget builds. They're cheaper. 

That's what this processor is geared to change. They want to steal that market space from AMD and attract tinkerers. 

A hardcore gamer isn't going to go out and buy it. It's dirt cheap for budget builds and it fits perfectly BECAUSE you can overclock the hell out of it. Nobody is going to buy it and not overclock it. 

Is it overrated towards someone spending $1000 on a computer? Yes.

Is it overrated towards someone spending $500 on a computer? Hell no. 

Your rationing is like saying a Toyota Camry is overrated compared to a Corvette. They're not in the same ballpark. 

Who cares if it won't be good for future games? It's like $75. Nobody expects a $75 processor to play next gen games. 

So your rationing for the G3258 being overrated is because the i3/i5/i7 have the same architecture? I don't follow.

Those processors are more expensive. It's not in direct competition with those processors. 

There's a reason people recommend AMD processors for budget builds. They're cheaper. 

That's what this processor is geared to change. They want to steal that market space from AMD and attract tinkerers. 

A hardcore gamer isn't going to go out and buy it. It's dirt cheap for budget builds and it fits perfectly BECAUSE you can overclock the hell out of it. Nobody is going to buy it and not overclock it. 

Is it overrated towards someone spending $1000 on a computer? Yes.

Is it overrated towards someone spending $500 on a computer? Hell no. 

Your rationing is like saying a Toyota Camry is overrated compared to a Corvette. They're not in the same ballpark. 

Who cares if it won't be good for future games? It's like $75. Nobody expects a $75 processor to play next gen games. 

#REKT

hehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehheh SWIGGITY SWOOTY I'M COMING FOR THAT BOOTY hehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehheh

huehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehue LINIXTEKTEPS R DE BES I LUV LINUX huehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehue

did i already say iPhone because i don't remember posting in this thread but it's definitely the iPhone

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

windows 8, asus, any smartphone thats not an htc one m8, razer, titan z, apple, "next gen" consoles, corsair cases, and amd

apple yes bose neh car steroes are ok

Their car systems are overpriced. You can build much better systems for how much they cost.

The speaker quality is also on the low end. Better than most stock systems, but crap compared to better brands.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

Society

Apple

Religion

Government

Environmentalism

"LTT Unofficial Conspiracy Theorist"

You have earned your title. 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

facebook! I mean I dont get why people act like its some crazy random invention lets not forget myspace

it is a crazy, random invention the thing is it just sucks 

it is a crazy, random invention the thing is it just sucks 

It doesn't just suck, it's a detriment to society. If the UN had any worth, then they would outlaw and shutdown both facebook and myspace.