Purportedly Leaked Windows 9 Screenshot Shows New Start Menu

johncarlosbe

Am I the only one who runs Windows 7 with the XP-design? It takes up far less resources and I hate most of the Aero stuff.

That's exactly how I had Windows 7. I'm using Windows 8.1 right now and seeing if I can make it work to my style, but I'm really missing the XP design.

<3 grey.

Ah isn't this the exact same one we saw that was coming to windows 8 like months ago? It's the exact same picture wtf!

Still not impressed. I am most likely just gonna stay with windows7

im sure i read you could resize those tiles and you should be able to make them whatever you want, so just link your important programs there instead of pinning them to the taskbar etc

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

Looks cool , change is good.

Details separate people.

I hope this is a good replacement for Windows 7.

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

I could care less about the start menu. Rarely ever use it anyways. I keep everything I need and use frequently along my task bar (the fewer desktop icons the better too). Don't see the point in all that extra clicking. 

I think people get it in their minds that getting used to doing something a certain way is the only way and they don't like change. But things need to change and change can be for the better. If nothing every changed, nothing would every improve/advance. I'm not saying the metro start screen in windows 8 was better (it wasn't IMO), but there's no need for the start menu in the first place is my point.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

If clicking one of those metro apps doesn't take me out of the desktop and force a fullscreen app from another dimension in my face, I'm game.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

It looks exactly like the picture they showed in april, except now the start menu is purple and not blue

We-Ask-You-Answer-Should-Microsoft-Bring

Either way, its a step in the good direction,only needs an option to move/remove the tiles ,add aero and not have that rumored drm and i might upgrade to it :P

That's been shown off before I believe it was right before or at least around the launch of update 1.

-snip-

What happens in Windows 8 is that when I press the windows button all my programs are taken away from me for no reason, it interrupts my workflow and fucks everything up.

90% of the times I bring up the start menu I just type in a few characters and press enter. There is absolutely no benefit to having it full screen for my use. There are only drawbacks, like by hiding everything I am working on for a brief moment and it's very jarring having things flying towards you.

The control panel is great and I use it quite often. Making it more difficult to get to things has never made any sense to me.

http://www.glass8.eu/

There you go. Now stop whining about Aero.

I don't get why Microsoft didn't just make it an option.

It seems like they gave everyone the middle finger with the release of Windows 8 and went "You're gonna do what we want no matter if you like it or not!".

Breaking Secure boot by injecting unsigned code into Windows is not exactly a good solution to Microsoft themselves fucking up the design.

This is old news, these have been shown before at a microsoft press conference months ago

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD

didn't we allready saw a simmilar design?

but to be honest i quite like it!  :)

Start bar is back! Now twice the size, with Xbox advertisements, Microsoft news, weather and some retarded buttons you don't need or that could be on your screen or bottom toolbar all the time.  In all seriousness, it could be a good idea and I will elaborate.

Hopefully we will be able to customize the thing and take the ads/news off and get the choice of Aero native, and disable the dumb charms menu by default, or hopefully the charms menu dies in a fire (yes I know you can do this with third party programs or edits). If I could customize the extra start bar "kids block" menu to have say Steam, weather, mail, docs, pics? It could be very nice. I am not saying the start bar as shown is a horrible idea, but I really hope it is customizable and some of the things there are not forced or unable to be removed. AKA I really hope they don't push bing/MS store ads in my face.

As far as aero MS really has no reason not to return aero since the entire REAL reason for not including it was that they wanted a uniform looking OS and Tablets suck as far as hardware. 

http://techland.time.com/2012/05/22/windows-aero-why-im-glad-its-dead/

I did enjoy the MS BS as to why they removed it though. Was probably the most laughable article I ever read.  :D

In before just download blah blah. Many people are not going to know or search for third party programs, and then they would be afraid to trust them. Aero simply should be in the new OS. If they are concerned about ram, they could save more without retarded news stories updating from news sources I could care less about, with ads I could care less about.

Also I hope the start bar can keep the classic option as I know many people like the "all programs". We will see. Anything is better than metro, but they could really hit it out of the park and make a @$%^ load of money if they let us customize things. Also a nice tutorial on how to do it would be nice to. Let "computer noobs" feel special and customize how their OS looks. In the day of free OS's, MS should be going the extra step to do these kinds of things, and not forcing crap you don't want down your throat. 

There are people who feel absolutely powerless with Win 8 and that is a shame. Make the user feel GOOD again. Take this guy as an example. I randomly ran across this yesterday and was laughing my ass off. MS all this guy wants to do is check the internet and crap, without fullscreen crap that they didn't want.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

I'll take some time to reply to some more posts in this thread once I'm on a PC but there is once again much misinformation on windows 8.

I better for you, not for everyone. I hate full screen calculator, image gallery and things that involve big touchable icons and some lack of incompatibilities with older hardware (to be expected). I'd love to have a nice version of windows that works out the box, not tweaking needed.

well, dont use full screen programs then :P use the desktop versions instead

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Am I the only one who runs Windows 7 with the XP-design? It takes up far less resources and I hate most of the Aero stuff.

One of my co-workers refuses to let IT upgrade his Xp laptop to Windows 7 because he has XP setup to look like Windows 98 and apparently you can't do that on 7 lol.

http://www.maximumpc.com/purportedly_leaked_windows_9_screenshot_shows_new_start_menu978

what do you guys think on this at least we a getting a start button. maybe.

8.1 has a start button BTW...

Start bar is back! Now twice the size, with Xbox advertisements, Microsoft news, weather and some retarded buttons you don't need or that could be on your screen or bottom toolbar all the time.  In all seriousness, it could be a good idea and I will elaborate.

Hopefully we will be able to customize the thing and take the ads/news off and get the choice of Aero native, and disable the dumb charms menu by default, or hopefully the charms menu dies in a fire (yes I know you can do this with third party programs or edits). If I could customize the extra start bar "kids block" menu to have say Steam, weather, mail, docs, pics? It could be very nice. I am not saying the start bar as shown is a horrible idea, but I really hope it is customizable and some of the things there are not forced or unable to be removed. AKA I really hope they don't push bing/MS store ads in my face.

As far as aero MS really has no reason not to return aero since the entire REAL reason for not including it was that they wanted a uniform looking OS and Tablets suck as far as hardware. 

http://techland.time.com/2012/05/22/windows-aero-why-im-glad-its-dead/

I did enjoy the MS BS as to why they removed it though. Was probably the most laughable article I ever read.  :D

In before just download blah blah. Many people are not going to know or search for third party programs, and then they would be afraid to trust them. Aero simply should be in the new OS. If they are concerned about ram, they could save more without retarded news stories updating from news sources I could care less about, with ads I could care less about.

Also I hope the start bar can keep the classic option as I know many people like the "all programs". We will see. Anything is better than metro, but they could really hit it out of the park and make a @$%^ load of money if they let us customize things. Also a nice tutorial on how to do it would be nice to. Let "computer noobs" feel special and customize how their OS looks. In the day of free OS's, MS should be going the extra step to do these kinds of things, and not forcing crap you don't want down your throat. 

There are people who feel absolutely powerless with Win 8 and that is a shame. Make the user feel GOOD again. Take this guy as an example. I randomly ran across this yesterday and was laughing my ass off. MS all this guy wants to do is check the internet and crap, without fullscreen crap that they didn't want.

As far as I can tell, that "news" icon is probably just a News Feed App or a News RSS App.

Why do you keep bringing up "ads" and "xbox ads" and other crap like that? Unless we're looking at different images, I don't see any ads at all on that start menu, just a small unobtrusive news app at the bottom (Which, if it's like anything else Metro, you can fully customize, move, remove, replace, etc). I highly suspect that you'll have full customization of the Start Menu.

Personally, I think it looks great. I'm hoping for the customization too, as I'd definitely replace a few of those icons with my own choices, but overall it looks fantastic.

Aero? Meh. I mean Aero looks cool and all, but I've gotten used to the Desktop Style theme of Windows 8. If they brought it back as a toggle-able option, then great. If they don't, meh. I won't lose any sleep over that.

As long as those DRM rumours turn out to be false, then I'm fine. The improvements of Windows 8(.1 etc) are great, the improved task manager and file transfer alone are worth upgrading. I'm curious to see what new features and improvements they show for Windows 9.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I'll take some time to reply to some more posts in this thread once I'm on a PC but there is once again much misinformation on windows 8.

Don't bother. We have enough MS evangelists on this forum and all tech forums telling us how great Windows 8 is and how everyone in the world who rejected it was wrong. 1) it sucks for power users without a third party program. That is a FAILURE. You should not need multiple third party programs and edits to fix a OS 2) it is horrible as far as being able to pick it up and use it as a novice, or even for someone that has used past OS's by the same company.

The Windows 8 ship has sailed. Let it go. Anyone that upgrades to it currently on a desktop is literally a moron. Directx 11.2 is a dead API due to market share and you are paying for a slightly faster boot. No one in their right mind should upgrade. 9 is coming soon. They would literally be throwing money away buying 8. Buy some more ram or something. Buy a SSD.

If you don't own 7? Sure buy 8 and then fix it with start is back and remove the retarded charms and other idiotic additions to a "desktop" OS.

As far as I can tell, that "news" icon is probably just a News Feed App or a News RSS App.

Why do you keep bringing up "ads" and "xbox ads" and other crap like that? Unless we're looking at different images, I don't see any ads at all on that start menu, just a small unobtrusive news app at the bottom (Which, if it's like anything else Metro, you can fully customize, move, remove, replace, etc). I highly suspect that you'll have full customization of the Start Menu.

Personally, I think it looks great. I'm hoping for the customization too, as I'd definitely replace a few of those icons with my own choices, but overall it looks fantastic.

Aero? Meh. I mean Aero looks cool and all, but I've gotten used to the Desktop Style theme of Windows 8. If they brought it back as a toggle-able option, then great. If they don't, meh. I won't lose any sleep over that.

As long as those DRM rumours turn out to be false, then I'm fine. The improvements of Windows 8(.1 etc) are great, the improved task manager and file transfer alone are worth upgrading. I'm curious to see what new features and improvements they show for Windows 9.

Like I said it looks promising IF. We will see if it is customizable. Also there is literally no reason not to have Aero as an option inside the OS. The "all our MS products" will look the same in the OS" thing is history. People rejected it on the desktop.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Seems to be interesting. I don't mind Win 8.1 as of now so whatever. I definitely don't want aero again, it broke too often when alt-tabbing in games and stuff like that.