Razer Blade 14 (2014)

@LinusTech

For god's sake, please review a MacBook Pro 15" with Retina Display. If you think the Blade is an engineering marvel, the MacBook Pro 15" has been doing the same thing since 2012. It isn't a compromise in any way either, and it has a longer battery life. The keyboard is at least as good, as is the trackpad.

You can also get a 15" MacBook Pro with twice as much SSD storage, a better processor, better battery life, screen that scales perfectly on text with far better viewing angles, color accuracy, and black levels and is larger for $100 less.

The only thing you lose is the 870M for a GT3e Iris Pro, and you get a bigger screen and better battery life in the trade.

For $100 dollars less than the 512GB model, you gain a GT 750M and you also get 16GB of RAM and an even better processor, which the Blade doesn't have.

You tell me which one is overpriced, Linus, you tell me.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

@LinusTech

an easy way is just give a trophy (only one for all)

that stay with the awesome item (on the video)

until a new or better item come out

and crush it (in performance lol)  :lol:

like the world cup 

Highlander - "they can be only one"

@LinusTech

For god's sake, please review a MacBook Pro 15" with Retina Display. If you think the Blade is an engineering marvel, the MacBook Pro 15" has been doing the same thing since 2012. It isn't a compromise in any way either, and it has a longer battery life. The keyboard is at least as good, as is the trackpad.

You can also get a 15" MacBook Pro with twice as much SSD storage, a better processor, better battery life, screen that scales perfectly on text with far better viewing angles, color accuracy, and black levels and is larger for $100 less.

The only thing you lose is the 870M for a GT3e Iris Pro, and you get a bigger screen and better battery life in the trade.

For $100 dollars less than the 512GB model, you gain a GT 750M and you also get 16GB of RAM and an even better processor, which the Blade doesn't have.

Both are overpriced. These products are pretty much aimed towards the 1%.

Both are overpriced. These products are pretty much aimed towards the 1%.

Actually, the MacBook Pro isn't. Dollar for dollar, you get what you pay for. I can't say the same for the Blade but it's possible.

See the wildly popular thread on it.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I could get the Asus JZ on xotic for the same price (Raid msata ssds, thunderbolt, 880m, 16gb of ram and some expandability) or the MSI or Aorus offerings which shave off anywhere from 300-600 USD from that price with more goodies than the Blade has.

At least it's better than a Macbook.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

@LinusTech

I wouldn't say that you gain the gt 750m: http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-870M-vs-GeForce-GT-750M-Mac, and the two proccessors are two similar to compare. Both are engineering miracles, and aimed toward those fortunate enough to have struck gold. The text scaling problem isn't a problem that razer can fix, although I will agree that the macbook's screen is more satisfactory. 

I wouldn't say that you gain the gt 750m: http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-870M-vs-GeForce-GT-750M-Mac, and the two proccessors are two similar to compare. Both are engineering miracles, and aimed toward those fortunate enough to have struck gold. The text scaling problem isn't a problem that razer can fix, although I will agree that the macbook's screen is more satisfactory. 

I mean for the $600 more. Of course the 870M kicks the ass out of the GT 750M, bigger numbers always do. B)

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

It'd be nice if they had a less crazy price and less crazy specs. 

I assume that most gamers who buy something like this already have a desktop at home, so they're not looking for something that will blow away their current set-up. For example, I have a 3930K + R9 290X at home, I don't need to have a super powerful laptop which I take on the road. 

However, I think it would have been nice if Razer had included a lower-spec'd model (e.g. Dual Core i5, 860M...etc.) in order to keep the costs down a bit. 

This thing costs as much as a crazy gaming desktop (e.g. 4930K, dual 780 Ti) and it's just not worth it in my book.

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

Very expensive. Made for diehard fan and rich folks that got money to wave around at us poor folks. :( 

Beautiful? Glowing logos are the most vulgar thing in the world.

Also, the battery being embedded seems like a much bigger deal to me than the RAM being embedded.

@LinusTech

He won't ever admit that, even when it's true.

He won't ever admit that, even when it's true.

And they call us fanboys for liking Macs...

Who's the real fanboy here, @LinusTech?

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Wish it was slightly cheaper. I haven't found any notebook with in the 14 inch range that are as awesome as this one. Might end up with one in the end.  :lol:

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I thought price will be in 3500-4000 USD range. 2400 USD is not so much. In any case, I don't like small displays. I'm using gaming laptops, but I'm 15.6 inch fan.

I wonder if Razer is going to release another version of the Blade in 2015 with 16GB of ram, an GTX 880m, have and option between a touchscreen and a normal screen, 4k, ethernet port, mini-DIsplayport (or full size Displayport) and 256GB of storage starting out at > 2000$...Only time will tell...

"A very inspirational quote"

How can you give a product an 'editors choice' label when it's not as good as it could be? This was based purely off a verbal agreement.

The screen was upgraded, but there's better out there. Even mid-grade laptops allow you to upgrade your memory. This is a gaming laptop for crying out loud. Also, no build in ethernet port on a gaming notebook, really..?

It may be one of the best on the market at the moment, for the price it should be better.

BUILD LOGSSerious Black ] [ Project Lumos ] [ SrsB ]

The value in the product is the ability to put that level of hardware in a for factor as appealing as this. If you can't figure that out then your not the target consumer. You can't have a one product fits all.

How can you give a product an 'editors choice' label when it's not as good as it could be? This was based purely off a verbal agreement.

The screen was upgraded, but there's better out there. Even mid-grade laptops allow you to upgrade your memory. This is a gaming laptop for crying out loud. Also, no build in ethernet port on a gaming notebook, really..?

It may be one of the best on the market at the moment, for the price it should be better.

Problem is that it can't be better. Unless there is a new super material to come out and destroy heat issues. They can't fit any more power in this. Without making it thicker. And they can't do that because it destroys the purpose of this laptop in the first place.

I would sell my setup for one of these in a heart beat

If they made a cheap version with a i5 4200u and a GT 840M I would buy it in a heartbeat.

razer wouldnt really wanna do it due to the fact that theyre all about the power + form factor. not just form factor 

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Actually, the MacBook Pro isn't. Dollar for dollar, you get what you pay for. I can't say the same for the Blade but it's possible.

See the wildly popular thread on it.

stated in the video itself... the blade is a luxury item. not something you get price to performance with although you get a lot of performance :P

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Probably the only razer product I would buy, but not for that price. Maybe if they can shave a few hundred dollars of the blade then I shall be more tempted.

Best reply ever :P

I would sell my setup for one of these in a heart beat

Well, you obviously don't like your set up 

I'm thinking about buying one but I'm concerned how loud the fans will get.

from playing games on mine, i will admit you DO notice the fans and the noise but tbh i dont mind much since i have my ear dubs in listening to music when im playing games anyway. during normal use like browsing and whatnot, the fans are dead silent. i even played a little bit of mc and the fans stayed silent. if youre gonna max out games and run em at native res then youre gonna hear the fans go. but then again think of the form factor. overall it isnt something to be worried about.