Razer Blade 14 (2014)

Same price as a well-specced 15" MacBook Pro Retina. I damn well know which one I would choose. Thumbs up to Razer for helping bring the laptop market to the next level though.

Same price as a well-specced 15" MacBook Pro Retina. I damn well know which one I would choose. Thumbs up to Razer for helping bring the laptop market to the next level though.

Was about to say that. The price is about right.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Was about to say that. The price is about right.

Not sure if you misunderstood me, I would choose (and have chosen) the MacBook Pro Retina. I think both are greats machines and each with their strength though, I needed a laptop for Photoshop and Premiere Pro so the choice was obvious for me. Had I needed a laptop for gaming the Blade 14 would be the choice for me over any other laptop on the planet though, that's for sure. Superb design and build, with the right components (although I have to agree that 16GB ram is too little).

did they improve on the thermals i remember the first one being quite hot and you said it was still blowing out the top?

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Not sure if you misunderstood me, I would choose (and have chosen) the MacBook Pro Retina. I think both are greats machines and each with their strength though, I needed a laptop for Photoshop and Premiere Pro so the choice was obvious for me. Had I needed a laptop for gaming the Blade 14 would be the choice for me over any other laptop on the planet though, that's for sure. Superb design and build, with the right components (although I have to agree that 16GB ram is too little).

Not sure if I agree with you on that one but the extra RAM in a MacBook may indeed help.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Not sure if I agree with you on that one but the extra RAM in a MacBook may indeed help.

They are very necessary when you get into the more serious stuff. In reality the differences between the two (with exception of the screen) is that with the MacBook you get more RAM and thunderbolt, whereas with the Razer you get a better graphics card.

Ok! So this thing looks just like a macbook..(except for the colours and the logo and and and..). The specs are WAY better, although I suppose you could get something similar for the same price BUT this thing looks awesome. I only have one TINY LITTLE question for Mr. Linus..How the hell would anyone afford 1 of these? :o (have you even seen the price?????)

For the same price as Macbook Pro this thing has only a better GPU and that's it.

MacBook Pro has way better screen (not to mention support for it without scaling problems), twice as much RAM, PCI-E SSD, better CPU, is inaudible most of the time and has a battery that lasts 2-4 hours longer, you know - that's important for a laptop.

This is not fanboyism, just adult reasoning. This Razer copycat is laughable at best. It's clearly a copy.

But well, it's the second best Windows machine, right after a MBP with Windows.

Great machine for video work on the road. Got myself one for a two week trip I'll be taking to NY in a couple weeks.  Also using it for a lil light gaming on while I'm out or steam in-home streaming while I'm home.

Is it worth it?

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

if you guys think Razer is expensive

how about paying $5508 SGD for a MacBook Pro with Retina 15" screen with 1TB SSD

that's what we are paying for in Singapore

g138669056235969850.jpg

I'll go with the blade thank you

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

All electronics companies want to be Apple. This is a clear example of that. If it works, it works. Unfortunately, you seemed to have purposely sidestepped mentioning that the design is identical in many ways to a Macbook. I've come to expect impartiality and objectivity from you, Linus, so it was a big disappointment. Well, at least MKBHD is capable of being objective so all's not lost.

I disagree with you about some of the design elements, though. The Razer logo, green lighting, and keycap font make it, well, just plain hideous.

That's Razer's style, though, so it's not much of a change.

You may be right. I had a weird gut feeling I'd done it once before, but I couldn't find the video so I went ahead... Any idea what video it was?

I don't think it's a huge deal either way since for me the important thing is to not DEVALUE an editor's choice award. So many sites hand them out like candy, but I want to be different...

So if it's 1/2000 or 2/2000 products I can still hold my head high saying it's DAMN DIFFICULT to get one at Linus Tech Tips :P

Hence why LTT rules the world

CPU: Intel i5-4690K  COOLER: XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 w/ Ice Dragon White Nanofluid MOBO: MSI Z97 GAMING 5   RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8gb 2X4gb 2133   PSU: Corsair GS800  GPU: SLI MSI TWIN FROZR GTX 760 4GB CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe    STORAGE: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 128GB, WD BLACK 1TB, WD GREEN 1TB, SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1TB, WD BLUE 320GB KEYBOARD: Ducky Zero DK2108S MOUSE: Logitech G600 

Not as expensive as I thought it would be after Linus saying it cost more than his car.

That Mercedes must be a cheap model

CPU: Intel i5-4690K  COOLER: XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 w/ Ice Dragon White Nanofluid MOBO: MSI Z97 GAMING 5   RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8gb 2X4gb 2133   PSU: Corsair GS800  GPU: SLI MSI TWIN FROZR GTX 760 4GB CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe    STORAGE: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 128GB, WD BLACK 1TB, WD GREEN 1TB, SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1TB, WD BLUE 320GB KEYBOARD: Ducky Zero DK2108S MOUSE: Logitech G600 

First off, good vid @LinusTech! This sure is a great machine...

Two things you said I found rather weird though. The design is hands down taken from Apple. No need for arguing against it. I personally think this is fine, but saying it is not is not being logical imho. Also, this is comparable to the 15" rMBP, not the 13". The 13" is quite a bit smaller and lighter. Because of this design, it has a U-class CPU with Iris integrated graphics (which are impressive for what they are I find, but no 870M by any stretch of the imagination). The TDP of both GPU and CPU combined is 28W. The Razer Blade is over 100W.

The 15" rMBP has the same TDP class of CPU like the Blade 14 and optionally (for the higher end, similarly priced model) a 750M (gonna receive its upgrade to most likely 850M in fall as usual). That, I think is more comparable as people have pointed out.

So since both machines cost the same, the choice is between much more GPU power, and better battery life, Thunderbolt 2, more, and faster SSD. The OS is obviously a personal preference.

Thanks Linus for reviewing it, it was interesting. Also one last question, why are you recently using Unigine Heaven more and more and not Valley?

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

I'm thinking about buying one but I'm concerned how loud the fans will get.

I really really hate the logo and the green accents. If there was a way to not have that ugly Razer logo and an ability to change the backlit keyboard colors, then it'd be way better to me.

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

Needs more IO. I would like to have seen dual thunderbolt at that price point, apple has it so why can't they. Other than that my complaints mirror that of the video, better screen, not enough ram as i also need at least 16gb. While the screen rez is nice I would have much preferred to have seen a 16:10 aspect raito and something that scales nicely into 1920x1200. Good laptop but I'm not going to buy one because my MBP 15inch does what i need it to do for now and im probably going to go sub 13inch next time i get a laptop.

EDIT: Also its green and i fucking hate green. FFS at this price point RGB leds would have been nice so that i could make them all purple and red.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

For the price that soldiered on 8gb ram is a big deal for me and a big con imo. If it was 16 or so then I wouldn't mind much.

Fat20F20-20Amazing20machine.jpg

AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5ghz (1.332v) | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Asus M5A97 R2.0 | Kingston HyperX 16GB @ 1600mhz | MSI Radeon R9 290 Twin Frozr

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w PSU | 256GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 | Zalman Z11 Plus

I read somewhere that the previous Razer Blade 2013 was actually produced by MSI. ANd they do look awful lot like the MSI GS-series laptop. If you don't need that touchscreen, I think the MSI GS-sereis would be the better buy. Slightly cheaper and more powerful graphics.

Is it worth it?

That's really up to you. I wanted something powerful enough to crank out videos quickly and for light gaming. I also wanted it to be as thin as possible. Last, it needed to look professional.  I didn't want it to look all flashy like some gaming laptops look. Besides a few green accents its fairly minimalistic. I feel comfortable pulling this out in front of a client. Now, I was not able to find  anything for the price that has the same performance, build quality, thinness, and that is as beautiful as the blade. Also for anyone that lives in the US and has a microsoft store near by (or . com store)  they have a student discount on the blade (10%).

by friend bought one a few days ago

the gpu burned and died a day later .........

You and everyone else over on Youtube probably say the same thing.

So, because it's thinner it's better than all of the others? I think it's a pretty neglectable advantage. Keyboard seems nice as well but otherwise I don't see what's so outstanding about it overall. It even lacks a lot of very important connectivity and expandability options so I really don't understand what's so perfect about it and why it's so much better than anything else. I mean, the workmanship is definately nice and all but that doesn't hold a lot of practical advantage.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

You and everyone else over on Youtube probably say the same thing.

ok give me a second ill  tell my friend if he has a pic

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

This device costs a unbelievable 3500-3600 Euros in Germany (Amazon) = 4 897,206  US$

while in US Amazon it is listed for 2400$ (~1700 Euro)  which is a totally reasonable price for a device of this kind.

Im tempted to import this one if id really wanted to buy it. Would cost me around 2000€ incl. Import Tax / Shipping.

Looks very nice, but still wayyyyyy overpriced for my standpoint. If they would make a 1000$ laptop with decend specs, i would probably buy it.