18 Yrs old Reinvents Phone's Battery

Lexzt

Since the last live stream, Linus has been complaining about phone battery. Lets just hope this come to life. 

My take: If I could charge my phone that fast, and last that long, that would be out of this world. And it is coming from an 18 yrs old teen. Pretty awesome. 

Source: http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/teens-invention-could-charge-your-phone-20-seconds-1C9977955

Wow that's awesome, I hate having to charge my phone all the time.

I hope it really works and takes off as a viable option for consumers

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Hopefully we see this technology implemented soon, although I won't expect anything anytime soon.

California represent!

OT: Good for her, better patent her technology and license it out to every vendor possible for maximum profits!

That is so awesome.i doubt it will be cheap in the the end though

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

I'm pretty sure that's just graphene and she didn't invent that. Andre Geim and Konstantin Novolesov did and got a Nobel Prize in 2010 for their discovery of graphene. It's flexible and can be used as a supercapacitor.

Its amazing but,

Only 50k ? Real ? Wow.

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 2133 | AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i | OCZ Vector 256G | 

Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition

XFX 750W BEFX

A $50K reward is peanuts in comparison to what she'd make in royalties for licensing it as a patent.

i feel so bad that she actually published all that info to intel.

should have patented it and pulled an apple.

Yeah she got pwned if she only gets $50k out of this...

The man who invented the synthetic manufacturing process of diamond got a gift card.  

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

maybe shell send u one 2 unbox and review

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

Judging by the writer's blog, he does like his click-baiting articles.

Probably way too premature to be really talking about it as if it could totally proliferate within the next 2 years. Honestly, even without the battery life (ie it stays as is or marginally better), achieving a consistent and reliable fast charging solution would be enough.

Slightly tangent but on topic for the live stream,

I think it's likely the reason Linus and most of us have been lamenting as to why we haven't heard about any new battery tech in a while is simply because whoever comes up with a viable solution would make a lot of money. So after talking about it a little, things go quiet for R&D and testing.

Holy crapola! That's impressive. I'm not holding my breath on it though, it'll be years before the big bad companies would release that to market. This would likely kill any need for disposable batteries, which I'm sure the manufacturers wouldn't be comfortable with.

He who dies with the most tools wins.

A $50K reward is peanuts in comparison to what she'd make in royalties for licensing it as a patent.

Yeah I mean I wonder how much they personally spent even developing it.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

you mean she got 2.5million pesos? oh my!

Friggen cool!

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

If Intel rips her off for only 50k, I feel very sorry for her. Potentially awesome breakthrough though, will be interested to see how it develops!

Sounds all fantastic and such, but you guys are all forgetting that she's not talking about batteries. The thing she is talking about is a capacitor, something that has been readily available for decades... I don't know why she's so special to get 50k, because supercaps already exist for a few years now.

The one thing that you're all forgetting here is that capacitors have a voltage drop when they're being discharged, meaning that the voltage will drop exponentially as there is less charge in the cap left. This means that a cap with the same amount of energy stored inside as a particular battery,  won't bee able to power the device for as long as the battery would. The reason for this is that electronic devices do not only need a particular amount of energy fed to it every second (also called power [watt]), it also needs that energy delivered at the right potential (voltage). If the voltage drops below a certain treshold, the device won't function, even if there still is a lot of 'charge' left in the capacitor.

At the moment, I'm still a skeptic, but it would be nice to see capacitors powering all our devices. Nature woud benefit from that as well! By the way: supercaps have already been used as a substitute and/or enhancement for car batteries, as shown in the video below. you'll see that capacitors don't hold their charge as well as the article makes it appear.

Patent, copyright, trademark, Everything that shit before someone else does and steals yo money!