Is it hard to build your first computer?

Destroe

Hey guys, im saving up cash for a new PC and i'm going to build it myself with my dad. Is it hard and how much time does it consume?

An extraterrestial 11 year old 

Hey guys, im saving up cash for a new PC and i'm going to build it myself with my dad. Is it hard and how much time does it consume?

is it hard?no

time for first time? maybe 2-3 hours or less 

its super easy, will take a few hours if you dont do it a lot, watch build guides as you do it to make sure you do everything right and in a good order

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

There are many resources to help you, not it's not overly difficult and it's a rewarding and educational experience.

Watch this to get a general idea of what is involved.

Just check out a how to video by CareyHolzman. He goes through every step of the process.. And i mean every step

It's not really that hard. And i'd say you could get it done in about an hour or two

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Buy from companies with good customer support, read up in the manuals and look up some tutorials if you have to.  If there's a doubt about anything find the answer from a good source, and don't take chances. 

The building and troubleshooting process can take up the better part of your whole day, but usually doesnt take longer than 3-4 hours.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

it's really easy I've been taking them apart and putting them back together since I was 9 so if you have a spare PC you can take apart it will help that way you know how everything comes apart then putting it together is just the revers of that

current build and total cost   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/150083-thrift-shop-build/

I apologize for my crappy English I'm American

the putting together part is very easy...its the diagnostics that can be tough if something does not work properly. 

Thanks for the fast replies guys! Even though i'm getting that pc in 6 months :D

An extraterrestial 11 year old 

no if you ever managed to make something from lego.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

It depends on how good you were at building lego :P

But seriously, NeweggTV has some older, but really good guides on how to build a PC. I used those, so normally I recommend them to people.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Just check out a how to video by CareyHolzman. He goes through every step of the process.. And i mean every step

It's not really that hard. And i'd say you could get it done in about an hour or two

Seconded. His videos aren't what I'd watch for entertainment, but if you're the type of first time builder who is paranoid about missing some crucial yet obvious step that takes place in the bits other people edit out, his videos can be oddly...reassuring. xD

Building your first PC isn't hard, but don't be too surprised if it doesn't boot up the first time. Most of the time it's some stupid, harmless error. 

It isn't particularly hard, my only advice would be to take your time and progress slowly. It's better to be sure that you performed a step correctly than to assume that you did, even if it isn't that hard of a step (ie. seating ram). 

Hi, what about building in a mini itx case like the elite 110? I've never built a computer and I'm afraid of the case because. There is little space, even though I really dig it's design. Is it harder?

Nope, not at all! It might take you some time if you are a beginner but it isn't hard at all. At tops two hours. Just make sure you read the manuals etc etc carefully! :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

How to build a pc in 2 easy steps. 

Step 1: Buy the parts. 

Step 2: Put parts where ever they fit. 

/I'm actually being completely serious. If a part fits somewhere, thats where it belongs. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtAIbfZQfbw3QXCqW25L2HgIVESkk8apm Newegg is a highly reputable computer part retailer and this a playlist of videoes made by them on how todo it, very indepth and no it's not hard with two of you should take 30~45 minutes  alone probably an hour and a half...

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

For my first time it took me 1 hour, but that's me. It's generally simple just take your time and gently put things in, it will come out good in the end ;)

Comparing myself to other posts here, I'd say I really did take my jolly time building my first PC.  It took me, from start to finish and including all breaks, about 6 hours.  But it was very simple though.

AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5ghz (1.332v) | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Asus M5A97 R2.0 | Kingston HyperX 16GB @ 1600mhz | MSI Radeon R9 290 Twin Frozr

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w PSU | 256GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 | Zalman Z11 Plus

Definitely is not tricky, but as other have said the tricky/annoying part is when things do not work properly and you have to diagnose why but that is what google and forums are there for.

First time I would make sure and watch some build guides first, take your time, NEVER force anything - if it doesnt fit easily then its probably the wrong place for that component/cable etc as everything is designed so it will only fit in its correct place.

It is an enjoyable process and like most of us you will likely be hooked afterwards. Most of the time I think I actually enjoy the researching/ordering/building process the best and its a bit of anti climax once it is all done, leaves you thinking hmmm what will be my next upgrade!

Anywaz just take your time and have fun! 

The hardest parts are trying to decide what you want and making sure all the parts you want will work together and then diagnosing any issues afterwards the actually assembly part is easy and quite fun.

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

actually scratch that, Making the money to buy the parts is the hardest part of the whole building process.

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

Yes he helped me build my PC. (His videos)

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Its not hard just take your time and be careful watch a few build guides and you will do it ezpz

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090