Is it hard to build your first computer?

Destroe

Only the wiring the little cables like the powerled, switches, and stuff. But if you buy a relatively large case that shouldn't be any problem.

Other than that, it's really easy to build your own PC :)

Processor- AMD Athlon X4 750K Trinity Quad-Core 3.4GHz. Motherboard- MSI Socket FM2 FM2-A75MA-E35. GPU- NVIDIA Geforce GTX 750 Ti SC 2GB GDDR5. RAM-  4GB Corsair Vengeance. Storage- 750GB Seagate Barracuda HDD. PSU- Corsair CX500. Case- Rosewill Line-M MiniATX.

Dell Inspiron N5110 intel i5

not aslong as u watch loads of tutorials first

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | Cooler: Stock | RAM: 16GB Hyper Fury X RGB | GPU: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite| PSU: Corsair RM850x
Storage: WD SN750 500GB / 850 500GB Samsung Evo /  | CASE: 570X | Display: Dell u2414h  | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: Corsair M65

If you can use legos, and your not a total retard....then you can build a pc

My first build was many, many years ago. For me, it wasn't hard... but it was time consuming, and a little... scary i guess you could say. My first build was before the days of everything being on YouTube, so I was working off what a friend of a friend (co-worker) had told me, and i'd call him up if I ran into any problems (which I did, a few times).

As stated above though, watch some tutorials (Good ole' Linus has a few now, as does Newegg, theirs is a multi-part, fairly in depth guide from start (picking parts) to finish (installing Windows) and everything inbetween), and you'll be OK. Your first time through will probably take... three hours at worst.

Just be sure that you plan it out. save money for quality parts if you can't go all out at the time. Collect what you can now (resist the urge to open them, too!) so long as it won't become an outdated bit of hardware for your final plan. (I.E. Don't buy an intel processor and ultimately decide that you want an AMD in your final system), and keep in mind, you will need a monitor AND some HID (mouse/keyboard/gamepad/what-have-you) peripherals. It's surprising how many people overlook these on their first build.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

It's not hard but some parts are a bit fussy when you're not used to it. You most likely won't break anything if you follow even the most basic safety procedures. Watch one video online and you're good to go, you'll make minor mistakes and correct them, no biggie.

Safety:

-Ground yourself to avoid zapping electronics

-Don't throw computer parts

-Don't dip mayonnaise

-Seriously don't dip mayonnaise, dat nasty

-Figure out how to install the CPU and after you understand it, do it. Don't make a guess if you're unsure.

My first build took a bit only because I did it in stages such as I put it on a test bench (motherboard box) tested all the parts then I put it together. Also be sure not to drop a washer in your power supply. My moms faut she walked up poked the washer for the heatsink and it feel into the power supply just watch out for that :P

CPU: i7 4770k@4.3Ghz GPU: GTX 780ti Motherboard: ROG maximus vi formula PSU: Evga supernova 1000w Platinum

Case: NZXT Switch 810 Memory: g.skill ripjaws X Cooler: Corsair h100i(getting custom loop when i get money next) Storage: Samsung 840 evo 250gb Keyboard: Corsair K95 Mouse: SteelSeries Rival

You know how people say that your first time will take you all day or more? (That's what she said)

That's usually not true unless you are completely clueless.

If you've done your studying you will probs get everything assembled in less than 2hrs.

DO NOT TOSS YOUR MOTHERBOARD DRIVER DISK.

For the most part its pretty self explanatory, and you can find pretty much any info you need online and/or in the documentation that comes with your parts.

It only gets tricky if something decides not work work  ^_^

Just throw in an NCIX Assembly and 1 Year Warranty for 50 bucks, at least they'll take full responsability for breaking something, not if you're not the DIY typa guy.

Stop bloating nonsense, and reason to contribute in a constructive manner.

It's easier when you're given correct information.   My first build, which is my current rig, I was given some bad advice and some outdated information which ended up making it cost more money and with less quality than it could have been.   If I had been aware of Linus and PC Part Picker it would have gone much better for me.  But you live and learn.   Know your budget pick the right components, then when the time comes to assemble, take your time and it should all work out fine. 

No. It took me half an hour to an hour to rebuild my first one.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

It is pretty easy and as long as you have anything connected to the internet you can look up tutorials on all your questions. Windows is probably the worst of it and that's just because it is time consuming. I would know I recently built my first computer!

The worst part about building pcs for me is trying to connect the front panel connections.  OMG why in the heck can they not make this easier?  I think you may find that the most frustrating part.

Still with that said ...

I love building pcs!

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Not hard at all but slightly annoying as you make silly little mistakes and it took me like 2-3 hours because one of the cables wasn't plugged in properly so it'd turn of randomly soon after booting.

it is very easy to actually build a pc. the hardest part for me anyway was picking the right parts and making sure that parts are compatible with each other. if you think that you want to build a pc. go for it good luck!

Not hard at all! The building process was so much fun, and you'll learn a lot! Good luck :D

Just follow Linus' videos, they're just awesome. I saw so many of his build guides before taking the plunge and building mine which took maybe 2 to 3 hours. If you have help it should definitely be not too rough just take your time.

LOLNO

Think of it as a Lego set for adults :D

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

I was more scared that I'd screw something up... plus I got cuts on my fingers all over the place from the metal case and motherboard.

After that... every other build since was second nature to me.

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

It's super easy and a great hobby to get into!

No... I'm not ready for my thread to die, not yet.... nooooo......

It took me half a day to build it (took a while to do cable management) but it was a pretty fun experience. 

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

The hardest part is making sure you do everything in the right order so you don't have to take it apart and start over. At least for me it was. With the modern cases, cable management is pretty easy.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 3700x CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) SSD: Samsung 970 Plus 250GB NVME, WD Blue 2TB m.2, Crucial M500 240GB GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW PSU: Seasonic G-Series 550W CASE: Corsair 220T RGB

Hey guys, im saving up cash for a new PC and i'm going to build it myself with my dad. Is it hard and how much time does it consume

all i did was watch a couple of linus's build guides to learn a few basic rules, then i took my time building to make sure i didn't break anything, and i finished but it didn't start, i figured out that for me the very first power on i had to wait like 15sec after pushing the power button then it started, after i installed the os my boot time was drastically lowered.

Nothing to see here, move along

Not at all, just take your time and follow one of Linus guides :)

It's fairly easy when you follow guides such as Linus' and it's not difficult at all even when doing it without a guide. A first timer might take a few hours to complete a build. You have the support of thousands of forum members though and Linus' excellent guides. The real difficulty is finding the perfect build.

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️