Linus' unfair treatement towards YT subscribers : WAN Show unlisted for a whole day

TheRisingMyth
Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

If you really want to watch the video immediately, might I suggest that you simply go find its thread in the "Linus' Videos, News and Ramblings" subsection of the forum, or you could even follow the subforum for even faster alerts when a video goes live. Linus & co's channel is very good because they put quality ahead of just pumping out videos, and waiting for the timestamps is a perfectly valid excuse. If you want to watch it without, go ahead, and Linus makes it pretty easy to find. Those that aren't on the forum, and would therefore not be able to take advantage of this, are much less likely to be hardcore fans that will be really bothered if the WAN show is uploaded a day late; those that do can watch it on twitch or just come and check out the forum to see whether the thread's up.

Your complaint is that in order to maintain the high production quality of the content of his channel, Linus is making you jump through a couple of hoops to view a video slightly earlier than general release while its finished off. Hardly a valid complaint IMO. Even better, you can help contribute to the timely release of the video to the public if you watch it early by adding timestamps to the GoogleDoc provided for that task.

Look again at the title :

"YT subs"

There are people who don't give a crap about Twitch, and as a bonus, i used to watch the archive on Twitch, but it's been really flaky on me lately, it's practically unwatchable for some, from a technical perspective, YouTube is much more stable.

YouTube is stable? That's hilarious. You can watch the archive on Twitch if you want, or wait for it to appear on YouTube and not bitch about it. It's not that Linus didn't care, it's that you're being too stubborn.

As someone who watches on an AppleTV, it's never up until late Saturday night or early Sunday morning. About two months ago, it was up Saturday morning. It's been getting later every week.

Linus has shit to do that doesn't revolve around us. He has a family, he has a kid, he has an entire business with its own aspects that take up his time. 

Excuse him for not redundantly uploading the show to another source when its already available on the other source's archive, just so you can watch it Saturday morning instead of a few hours or a day later. What a crime. A free show being done on their own time and its still not good enough for you? 

It seems that nobody really got hold of the point of this topic.

I'm simply asking Linus to stop posting the WAN Show unlisted until timestamps are done, that's it, stop bitch'in about "Not respecting his free time", i'm aware he has a family, a regular viewer from the 60k subs day wouldn't miss that.

And for the other guy telling me i'm the only upset... how people could possibly know if the archive is up on the forum first if they don't even attend it ? Twitch viewers and LTT forum members barely are 1/50 of the sub base of Linus, so what are you exactly talking about ?

It's not about uploading late, it's about a video being already there needing a click of a button to be avaible for everyone, though, i agree with the guy saying it'll give a better impression of the video when it's up with all the needed info, i don't that's a big factor for Linus's success given that most views and interest doesn't come from WAN Show anyway.

For God's sake, try for once to digest the WHOLE MEANING of my topic instead on jumping instantly on the obvious option : Defending Linus, the intention wasn't even to crticize, consider it as an advice.

Stop bloating nonsense, and reason to contribute in a constructive manner.

YouTube is stable? That's hilarious. You can watch the archive on Twitch if you want, or wait for it to appear on YouTube and not bitch about it. It's not that Linus didn't care, it's that you're being too stubborn.

*much more stable, and that's in comparaison to Twitch.

I wonder of anyone actually READ before they answer. -_-

From a guy with an "advertised" up to 2Mbps down with only real 1-1.75Mbps down, Youtube is WAY responsive, lighter and easier/faster to buffer videos than Twitch. Youtube 360p vs it's equivalent in Twitch, Youtube's faster in loading and there's the comments too. The OP just wants it unlisted. Maybe the only reason it is unlisted is because Linus wants to release the WAN Show archive with all the timestamps. It's like publishing a book with the Table of Contents, maybe he does not want a published book with a Table of Contents saying "uhhhh will be added later". So Linus maybe you can LIST it/make it available as soon as it is uploaded just for the fans you have there that wants it to be like that. Nothing to lose.

I7-2600k (back to stock lol) + Noctua NH-D14 | Asus GTX 560 DC | Asus P8Z68 V/GEN3 | G.Skill RipjawsX 1333 Mhz 2x4 GB

CoolerMaster Storm Enforcer | ThermalTake ToughPower Grand 750W | LG IPS237L | Razer BlackWidow 2013 | Razer Electra

[WD Caviar Blue 500 GB | Hitachi 260 GB | Seagate 120 GB | Toshiba 300 GB] <Generic mousepad & a wireless Logitech mouse T_T>

So you don't want to wait for content, but you want to wait so timestamps get added, but you don't want the videos automatically up there as soon as possible. Wat the wat? 

What about people like me who have time on a Saturday and want to watch the whole thing? I don't care about timestamps. I'm watching the whole thing. It serves my purpose more. 

You try to please everyone, you please no one. 

His current process works fine for most. The most matters. Not the vocally amusing minority. 

First world problems...  :rolleyes:

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

ONE WHOLE DAY!!11!!!1@!

unsub.

4Gz3kwH.png

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I personally prefer for the video to be uploaded properly, if I dont have time for the whole show i skip to parts I am interested in and leave the rest until later (or never if Its some american new politics or something)

Also as soon as a video uploads (especially a long one) there is a lot of processing that youtube does to enable 1080p  and other video options, if a video goes up immediately after upload it is often only in 240p for a short time while youtube finishes processing

So you get a better quality video, with correct time stamps, links to full articles for further reading on interesting topics and links to products mentioned

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Something to bear in mind is that I have a life. At the end of a long week on Friday, the WAN archive is a lower priority than making dinner, seeing my family or any number of other things I can be doing during that time. If it takes a few hours, it takes a few hours.

Hey mate, I think a lot of people forget that you have a life. I'm betting there're some days when you think "Why did I start all of this?". You do a pretty damn good job with getting all those YouTube videos done. I personally don't know how you do it. I really don't.

How much time do you actually get for yourself (I'm guessing not much)?

You must have a pretty awesome team if you manage to get everything done plus an extremely understanding and patient wife that let's you do it all. I think if it came to it you could really just reduce your content a good amount so that you don't have much stress on yourself. I personally don't think I could do what you do but who knows. I will end this with saying that all the content you produce on YouTube and everywhere else is awesome. Keep up the great work mate!

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I just joined because Linus keeps saying you guys are cool.

This is first thing I click on.

;/

Vocal minorities always shout the loudest, especially keyboard warriors

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully you will find the rest of it a much warmer place, falling outs are rare

also @

Why should Linus upload things unfinished just to please a few impatient people. Quality is what sets Linus apart from many people, his attention to detail and hard work always show in his stuff. While there are people what will watch his videos as soon as they go up, there are always people that may click on a video after finding him on youtube for the first time, I am sure linus does not want their first experiance of the WAN show to have no description, no links, no timecode, and potentially no HD quality as youtube was not done processing

It is an archive of a live show that you have already missed. It is there forever, so what if its a few hours or a day late

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I'm confused? What is the OP actually complaining about? This doesn't seem like a valid complaint to me... Can't you just play video games for 30 minutes or something? I literally don't understand, please explain? 

Ryzen 7600X | MSI Trio X 3080 | 3440x1440p asus vg34vql1b | Antec HCG 850 | 1TB WD Blue SSD | 500GB Aorus Elite | Asus B650 Strix A

Wow, Linus is bangin Lyserberg's head now.

EDIT: I was sarcastic up there and nor @LinusTech nor @ should feel offended, but a whole day? Wow, only 24 hours, I bet that half of that was put into making this rant (sarcastic again, i love it). But still, he does one video a day, sometimes two, and wan show weekly, what do you want? Who are you to make this rant because Linus was late 24 hours? Not to mention that you have a archive on Twitch, and not just that but Linus is wrong too now. Like seriously, did we deserve this? Did we need raise of quality, did we need new thumbnails, scripts, videos in which more effort is put? No, look, this is your proof, Linus is trying to give so much to his subscribers that some people became spoiled kids...

EDIT2: And those like lyserberg, who are trying to be biggest fanboys existed on this forum are not good. You want us to think that you love Linus so much that you can't live a minute without him, but you are sending a wrong message. Get a hold of yourself man, there were many people before you, when WAN show didn't exist, when LTT didn't exist, when we were watching NCIX, people weren't wanting more back then, and they still didn't want epic quality raises, but they got it, those people are again happy now, remember, you shouldn't feel offended, it's just my opinion on the way you just acted right now.

I'm simply asking Linus to stop posting the WAN Show unlisted until timestamps are done, that's it, stop bitch'in about "Not respecting his free time", i'm aware he has a family, a regular viewer from the 60k subs day wouldn't miss that.

And for the other guy telling me i'm the only upset... how people could possibly know if the archive is up on the forum first if they don't even attend it ? Twitch viewers and LTT forum members barely are 1/50 of the sub base of Linus, so what are you exactly talking about ?

It's not about uploading late, it's about a video being already there needing a click of a button to be avaible for everyone, though, i agree with the guy saying it'll give a better impression of the video when it's up with all the needed info, i don't that's a big factor for Linus's success given that most views and interest doesn't come from WAN Show anyway.

For God's sake, try for once to digest the WHOLE MEANING of my topic instead on jumping instantly on the obvious option : Defending Linus, the intention wasn't even to crticize, consider it as an advice.

Linus is trying to run a business, and that means he has certain standards that his content needs to meet. Not only for his own sense of professionalism, but also for the sponsors that make it possible for him to make his videos in the first place. While you may not care about things like time stamps, that does not mean Linus show cow to your little hissy fit and give in to your demands. You are one voice among thousands, but more importantly you are a voice that does not write any checks to help fund Linus's business. If you want to start sponsoring his videos, I'm sure he would be more interested in what you have to say.

I don't mean to imply that Linus never listens to viewers, but he certainly isn't going to listen to the opinion of one viewer who can't present his request in a respectful manner. Especially one viewer who also tries to claim that he knows the first thing about the breakdown of Linus's Twitch, Forum and Youtube demographics. Seriously, how the fuck can you possibly know that forum members and Twitch subscribers only make up 1/50th of his total subscription base??? All that comment does is prove that you think you are some how special or entitled because you only follow Linus via Youtube.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

Your logic is flawed though - you know full well that the WAN show is streamed on twitch, and so is obviously available there first. A simple check is surely not too much to ask considering your hostile first post? You named the topic 'unfair treatment towards youtube subscribers', when the WAN show is a LIVE SHOW ON TWITCH. It doesn't really have any reason to be on youtube at all, I assume it's there to consolidate Linus' videos. And then you spout nonsense like 'I have the choice to watch'. LMG make the damn videos, they aren't yours. If you don't like the fact linus uses twitch primarily for live shows, don't watch - thats your choice. It's his choice to do what he likes with his videos.

It is available at the click of a button as soon as the stream ends on twitch. Linus uses twitch. Get over it.

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

Okay so after reading through all of this i have taken away the following:

What the plaintiff is requesting:
-Immediate access to the archive via YT as soon as it is processed (Regardless of whether Timestamps are needed) for ease of time.

What the Forum is saying:
-ZOMG why do you want it immediately? Don't you want to get to the specific parts that are relevant or important to you? Don't you want a clean and quality video given to you?
-Praise Linus (For most of you, you probably should have actually read what was being said MULTIPLE times.)

What should have been seen and understood:
-Upload the Archive to YT as soon as the Broadcast ends REGARDLESS of timestamps. (Linus doesn't do the timestamps so therefore this doesn't concern him at all...so why are people pulling him into it, and linus why are you even replying? i would have just left this)
-STATE that if the WAN show isn't of High Importance in terms of upload then say it so that people aren't waiting around all weekend to catch up....e.g. people who can't access Twitch off their mobile for the archive effectively.
- We understand that Linus, Slick, LMG have lives and they are TOTALLY ENTITLED to be able to go about them. To the OP, there is utterly NO BETRAYAL going on here as normal people are expectations set against them as much as the next person, perhaps next time take that into some consideration.

Ultimately and most importantly what is being requested here is:
-Consistency with videos. If people are waiting for WAN then maybe if someone on the forum is going to be doing timestamps to let people know who are waiting for the archive to be made public, some kind of ETA til viewable so that the viewers who did miss it (Like myself who is working @ 1pm on a saturday in NEW ZEALAND) can go have a weekend if this should be the case. No one likes locked videos, if Linus is going to leave it to the forumers to do the timestamps then it should be the responsibility of the forumers to be communicating things to anybody else. Finally to the OP, if you aren't looking for that communication here already (Which i doubt, since you are a member) then perhaps start now, or contribute something?

My opinion:
Go on twitch if there is urgency to viewing the archive, otherwise put up and shut up.
Continue Forumers :)

Calling it unfair treatment of the YouTube audience, that the archive is uploaded later than on Twitch, is like saying that it is unfair if someone from the UK orders the exact same thing as you, at the exact same time, and you live in the US, and it arrives to you later than him.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

OK, let's think of it this way.

Would you think YouTube subs will give any cares about Twitch if the livestream was done through YouTube ?

*Mind Blowen*

That's my whole point, fragmentation is bad at its core, so don't make it even worse.

God dammit, i swear, most of you didn't even take the time to really understand.

And for those saying i'm angry (yeah, pretty much), i'm not, go see a doctor.

If you really want to watch the video immediately, might I suggest that you simply go find its thread in the "Linus' Videos, News and Ramblings" subsection of the forum, or you could even follow the subforum for even faster alerts when a video goes live. Linus & co's channel is very good because they put quality ahead of just pumping out videos, and waiting for the timestamps is a perfectly valid excuse. If you want to watch it without, go ahead, and Linus makes it pretty easy to find. Those that aren't on the forum, and would therefore not be able to take advantage of this, are much less likely to be hardcore fans that will be really bothered if the WAN show is uploaded a day late; those that do can watch it on twitch or just come and check out the forum to see whether the thread's up.

Your complaint is that in order to maintain the high production quality of the content of his channel, Linus is making you jump through a couple of hoops to view a video slightly earlier than general release while its finished off. Hardly a valid complaint IMO. Even better, you can help contribute to the timely release of the video to the public if you watch it early by adding timestamps to the GoogleDoc provided for that task.

HTTP/2 203

You convinced me, i'll no longer spit out a word.

Such beauty in your speech.

Yeah the topic didn't receive the kind of responses i was hoping for, nonetheless, if you think keeping out YT subscribers from a video that's already up just because timestamps aren't ready, that's your opinion, not mine, i think they deserve the best treatment, as much as Twitch, and LTT forums.

That is the best treatment. I don't want to watch the WAN Show before I can pick the parts I find interesting (that is if I'm not catching it live). You have every opportunity to find it on Twitch or here, or just watch it a day later if you're too lazy to go to Twitch for it.

@ I would rather have the video be finished than having an unfinished one. What you are saying is the equivalent of yelling at a publisher for not letting you play their game in its alpha stages.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz