Linus' unfair treatement towards YT subscribers : WAN Show unlisted for a whole day

TheRisingMyth
Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

If you really want to watch the video immediately, might I suggest that you simply go find its thread in the "Linus' Videos, News and Ramblings" subsection of the forum, or you could even follow the subforum for even faster alerts when a video goes live. Linus & co's channel is very good because they put quality ahead of just pumping out videos, and waiting for the timestamps is a perfectly valid excuse. If you want to watch it without, go ahead, and Linus makes it pretty easy to find. Those that aren't on the forum, and would therefore not be able to take advantage of this, are much less likely to be hardcore fans that will be really bothered if the WAN show is uploaded a day late; those that do can watch it on twitch or just come and check out the forum to see whether the thread's up.

Your complaint is that in order to maintain the high production quality of the content of his channel, Linus is making you jump through a couple of hoops to view a video slightly earlier than general release while its finished off. Hardly a valid complaint IMO. Even better, you can help contribute to the timely release of the video to the public if you watch it early by adding timestamps to the GoogleDoc provided for that task.

Hi.

Now, this title might suggest that i'm banging on Linus' head with a huge hammer, but really, i'm just pointing out a new issue that i've never been exposed to before until the last two to three weeks, and i'll be very upset if it actually was longer than that.

Long story short, i'm a regular WAN Show viewer, i can't attend it live though, so my only way is to see the archive on YouTube, i'm not blasting fire in Linus based on my new ideas, but he believe that the viewers have THE CHOICE, so the video is already up, but only few thousand people can watch it... now i'm aware of the reason, the goal here is to put on timestamps, but here's the deal :

I don't care, and many more don't as well.

It's up the viewer to decide whether they want to wait for timestamps to arrive or not, there's no need (or maybe there is) to remind you that the show is at minimum one hour and a quarter long, watching it early during the week-end is crucial to me as it's one of my few portals to the most important news of the week, that's the whole point if my topic : If it's up, let it be set to public, doing otherwise is making the access to the content much more difficult for certain use cases, sure holidays are approaching and it'll become less of an issue but man... if i can ever get my hands on the stream when needed knowing that it's avaible and there's nothing standing in the way, that's just awesome, i don't want this to change for me as i'm aware of the new method, but it's much of a concern for other viewers who might feel kinda "betrayaled".

Stop bloating nonsense, and reason to contribute in a constructive manner.

Just watch it on Twitch which is available immediately after broadcast and always has been.

If you had done this simple research then this ridiculous 'betrayal' rant would not have been necessary.

@CoolBeans are you going to be watching the collaborative livestream with intel in 45 minutes? nice suggestion, twitch ftw since Linus doesn't have upload the archive in some daft place.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

@CoolBeans are you going to be watching the collaborative livestream with intel in 45 minutes? nice suggestion, twitch ftw since Linus doesn't have upload the archive in some daft place.

no, I should be working right now

The WAN Show archive is usually available sooner over here as well.

ehhh Linus 30 minutes till the stream?

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Just watch it on Twitch which is available immediately after broadcast and always has been.

If you had done this simple research then this ridiculous 'betrayal' rant would not have been necessary.

Look again at the title :

"YT subs"

There are people who don't give a crap about Twitch, and as a bonus, i used to watch the archive on Twitch, but it's been really flaky on me lately, it's practically unwatchable for some, from a technical perspective, YouTube is much more stable.

Look again at the title :

"YT subs"

There are people who don't give a crap about Twitch, and as a bonus, i used to watch the archive on Twitch, but it's been really flaky on me lately, it's practically unwatchable for some, from a technical perspective, YouTube is much more stable.

Look you have options, it isn't our fault you don't wanna choose them.

EDIT: Linus's not our

Look you have options, it isn't our fault you don't wanna choose them.

EDIT: Linus's not our

Yeah the topic didn't receive the kind of responses i was hoping for, nonetheless, if you think keeping out YT subscribers from a video that's already up just because timestamps aren't ready, that's your opinion, not mine, i think they deserve the best treatment, as much as Twitch, and LTT forums.

Yeah the topic didn't receive the kind of responses i was hoping for, nonetheless, if you think keeping out YT subscribers from a video that's already up just because timestamps aren't ready, that's your opinion, not mine, i think they deserve the best treatment, as much as Twitch, and LTT forums.

But you aren't kept out... You guys still have access...

I didn't realize I was supposed to feel betrayed because Linus has the Twitch Archive ready to go right away but the YT one lags behind a bit as he properly uploads and gets timestamps going. 

On the humanity of it all. 

I don't even understand what the real problem is. The Archive is available in places other than YT...

Patience is a virtue.

And as the other people in this thread have already mentioned. You can watch the archive on twitch

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

you did a mistake posting this topic here, since you wont find any one here that will agree with you "except new comers". the majority of the members here knows how to get to the wan show archive either on twitch or linus's post.

i agree with you that i don't mind watching the wan show without the the time table, but if linus do post it like that on youtube it will effect any one who's watching the wan show for the first time, and any one who would normally chose to pick few topics from the wan show to watch instead of watching the whole thing. people new to the wan show would view it as low quality/incomplete work, same goes for any 1 looking to spend 10-30 mins on watching selected things on the wan show archive.

The alternative is to not get it until Saturday or Sunday or Monday when one of the Linus team members can do the timestamps.

So I'm not sure why you would be upset.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Usually the timestaps get put after the video, if you  are complaining because last wan show took a while to go up on YT it's because some video (can't remember which) was scheduled for that time so it pushed wan show back, but if it's such a big deeal to you you can watch the archive on twich

MSI Z87-GD65 - GTX 760 DirectCU II - i5 4670k @4.0GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866 MHz

Something to bear in mind is that I have a life. At  the end of a long week on Friday, the WAN archive is a lower priority than making dinner, seeing my family or any number of other things I can be doing during that time. If it takes a few hours, it takes a few hours.

Something to bear in mind is that I have a life. At  the end of a long week on Friday, the WAN archive is a lower priority than making dinner, seeing my family or any number of other things I can be doing during that time. If it takes a few hours, it takes a few hours.

Isn't grunt work for employees!? xD

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

L....L..Ife? whats that?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

QFT. Some people here, and its generally the kids, don't realize that adults do adults things outside of this place. 

I have enough patience to wait a few days. Back that up, I can end up being busy that I don't even catch up on videos till a week later. 

People just need to learn some patience and realize that not everything is sunshine and rainbows. 

As someone who watches on an AppleTV, it's never up until late Saturday night or early Sunday morning. About two months ago, it was up Saturday morning. It's been getting later every week.

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 MB: MSI Z77A-GD55  CPU: i5 3330 OCd to 3.4Ghz CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 2x8GB @ 1600MHz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming PSU: Seasonic M12II 650W HDD: Two Seagate Barracuda 2TB @ 7200 RPM SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Last time I checked, Linus isn't on your watch. So how about you watch the archive later instead of complaining about it.

He works incredibly hard and the community appreciates the hard work and fabulous content his team pushed out every day.

Thanks @LinusTech

Keep up the great work!

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.

The WAN show was today?

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ