Buying a New Car is Stupid

Plouffe

New cars are expensive, and while some of the features they offer are nice to have like Automatic Emergency Braking and Lane Assist, just about everyone wants Android Auto or Apple CarPlay for music and navigation. Why not save some money and make an upgrade instead of trading in if everything else works fine?

Buy a Sony XAV-AX6000 Digital Multimedia Receiver: https://geni.us/IBQUX76

Buy a VIOFO A229 Pro Dash Cam: https://geni.us/lCc4Y

Buy a Kenwood CMOS-230 Universal Backup Camera: https://geni.us/XR1h

Buy Bojo Trim Panel Pry Tools: https://geni.us/DeogIl8

Buy a BOSS Audio BE920WCPA Digital Multimedia Receiver: https://geni.us/20AXiO

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

Would sooner buy a motorcycle, than ever paying out current, post-covid prices for a new car (of which, I already have a license for).

That said, happily, at 204K miles, my 2013 Mazda 3 is doing pretty decently. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Make a car channel Linus! I would love to see this Civic restored with a fresh coat of black paint.

Made In Brazil 🇧🇷

I had a 1999 Honda Civic that I had for over 20 years. Had to replace a few months ago because of the maintenance costs were getting too high. If you haven't already, I'd recommend installing a car alarm after putting all that into it. My car was stolen and parked a few block away with the only thing missing being the 40 dollar aftermarket Amazon stereo. But, they did leave me with a bent steering column since they had to break the lock on it.

Yeah, I used to really want Android Auto/Apple CarPlay back when I had a car without it. Now that I have one I frequently consider just going back to sticking my phone in a mount on the dashboard.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

5 hours ago, Plouffe said:

New cars are expensive, and while some of the features they offer are nice to have like Automatic Emergency Braking and Lane Assist, just about everyone wants Android Auto or Apple CarPlay for music and navigation. Why not save some money and make an upgrade instead of trading in if everything else works fine?

Buy a Sony XAV-AX6000 Digital Multimedia Receiver: https://geni.us/IBQUX76

Buy a VIOFO A229 Pro Dash Cam: https://geni.us/lCc4Y

Buy a Kenwood CMOS-230 Universal Backup Camera: https://geni.us/XR1h

Buy Bojo Trim Panel Pry Tools: https://geni.us/DeogIl8

Buy a BOSS Audio BE920WCPA Digital Multimedia Receiver: https://geni.us/20AXiO

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

Old cars used to be easy to fix and all you needed was a good set of tools. Now everything is run by a computer. 

28 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Yeah, I used to really want Android Auto/Apple CarPlay back when I had a car without it. Now that I have one I frequently consider just going back to sticking my phone in a mount on the dashboard.

I'm with you on that.

I would still rather have a 3.5mm audio cable to play music and things through my car speakers.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

27 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I would still rather have a 3.5mm audio cable to play music and things through my car speakers.

Same here and I do have that option in my 2010 Altima.
Plug in an MP3 player loaded with what I want to hear and it's all good, plus I can change what's on the player anytime I want to with no commercials instead of having to listen to whatever gets played over the air, commercials included with it.

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Would sooner buy a motorcycle, than ever paying out current, post-covid prices for a new car (of which, I already have a license for).

That said, happily, at 204K miles, my 2013 Mazda 3 is doing pretty decently. 

I can only speak for myself but I'm fine with what I have - No car payments or expensive insurance to pay, plus tags/stickers for what I've got (Based on assesed vehicle value here) are cheap too.
I also know the vehicles well, upkeep isn't a big deal either since I do alot of it myself anyway.

These days, monthly payments for a alot of vehicles is almost the same (In some cases it's more) as making a house payment.
TBH, in my case I could invest the same (Or less) than the cost of a new one in something I already have and come out better too. Already did that with my old pickup (91 S10 4x4) and it's doing just fine.
101_1326.thumb.JPG.f70b7b546310baddf75e4499d9f26ef7.JPG

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

You did get a Honda so of course it's going to last forever, although not all cars are as reliable as Honda. But I do think it's great when people buck the "must have new car" trend. There's often nothing wrong with old cars and basic maintenance will prolong their life even more.

It's funny because when people become ultra-rich they go for real old cars, they just call them Classic instead of old.

Of course buying a new car is stupid; they don't make the Volt anymore.

Please make a follow-up video about aftermarket car speakers! That poor head unit is being held back by 20 year old Honda speakers.

2 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

Already did that with my old pickup (91 S10 4x4) and it's doing just fine.

Nice! The GMT400 C/K was the high water mark in pickup design, in my opinion, and those first gen S10s are like baby GMT400s.

Mini pickups are underappreciated. 

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

F in the chat for all those who lost their car stereos this month.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

anyone who buys a g*s car is out of their minds in 2024. that being said older electric cars are not as good as newer ones since the tech has evolved so rapidly

if you buy old g*s cars or any g*s car you should be ashamed

19 minutes ago, randy123 said:

anyone who buys a g*s car is out of their minds in 2024. that being said older electric cars are not as good as newer ones since the tech has evolved so rapidly

What a classist comment. What's the point of shaming those who buy a gas car? Most of the time, it is more economical to buy a gas powered car, especially those who cannot afford the ridiculously high price tags ($30k-$60k? Sheesh!). I live in Missouri, and I drive a 2008 Honda CRV, and I use it for storm chasing. Zero car payment, okay gas mileage, semi-infinite space. Have you seen the articles where Teslas in Chicago have limited range and straight up do not start due to the sub-zero temperatures? Electric vehicles are simply not ready and are only useful in urban centers where 1): electric chargers are numerous 2): do not get sweltering cold.

Before you judge somebody for getting a gas-powered car, understand why somebody gets a gas powered car.

Comment aside, my previously mentioned CRV has been upgraded with Apple Carplay and could not go without it. Although I wish I got a better head unit, there's no point in upgrading twice when the car isn't going to be a permanent one. 216K miles / 345.6K KM with another 216K miles / 345.6K KM to go!

it is what it is

Main PC

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Gigabyte B650 Gaming X AX | 32GB 2x16 DDR5-6000MHz | RX 6800 FE | 2x 1TB SSDs | Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021

NAS

Intel Core i3-7100 | ASUS Z270M Prime Plus | 16GB 2x8 DDR4 | 256GB Samsung SSD | 4x2TB WD Blue HDDs | TrueNAS Scale

Windows XP Gaming Rig

Intel Xeon E5-2620 | 32GB 8x4 DDR3-1600MHz | ASUS P9X79 LE | GTX 960 | 500GB HDD | Windows XP Professional

22 minutes ago, randy123 said:

I like the concept of electric cars. I don’t like how they’ve turned out (so many missed opportunities, such as standardizing on batteries and motor components), and I loathe the condescension and classism dripping in this comment. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

@Plouffe Loved the video.  I know you guys have said time and time again that you want to avoid being the trusted tech review site for "everything other than computer tech" but its videos like this that I find real value in.

With a billion cheep china options on the various marketplaces it seems like such a crapshoot on finding a good product for these kinda things.   The days of "read the reviews" is just way more difficult than it was just a short 2-5 years ago.  

Budget for this kind of video has to be cheep in terms of both cost and return.   Do more of them!

34 minutes ago, randy123 said:

There are many things that are against electric cars. Also why are you censoring gas? lol. It makes no sense to do that.

Fossil fuels are not going anywhere for a while, and that includes gasoline vehicles. In extremely cold conditions, ICE vehicles are more reliable, particularly when it comes to starting up and having consistent range. Electric cars suffer from the same problems as smartphones, considering they use the same battery technology(lithium ion batteries). At this point, electric vehicles are simply not ready to be the only type of vehicle that we drive. 

You should be ashamed of this shitty and entitled attitude. And just for you...I'll make sure to drive my gas guzzling SUV. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Buying a new car to get features alone IS stupid, but buying a new car because it's safer in a crash IS NOT stupid. Not to mention the impracticality of keeping a 20yr old car repaired when something major breaks, parts get discontinued, or the body rusts through and it becomes unsafe to drive. I'd bet that the 2024 Civic has a much better chance of survival and lower injury rate than the 2004 Civic under the same crash event circumstances.

44 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

There are many things that are against electric cars. Also why are you censoring gas? lol. It makes no sense to do that.

Fossil fuels are not going anywhere for a while, and that includes gasoline vehicles. In extremely cold conditions, ICE vehicles are more reliable, particularly when it comes to starting up and having consistent range. Electric cars suffer from the same problems as smartphones, considering they use the same battery technology(lithium ion batteries). At this point, electric vehicles are simply not ready to be the only type of vehicle that we drive. 

You should be ashamed of this shitty and entitled attitude. And just for you...I'll make sure to drive my gas guzzling SUV. 

Not being able to afford 50k on a basic electric car is apparently considered taboo or something. That's the only reason I can think of. If you can only afford 20-30k on a new gas vehicle or better yet, 10-20k on a solid used one if you need basic transportation, I guess screw you? 

12 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Buying a new car to get features alone IS stupid, but buying a new car because it's safer in a crash IS NOT stupid. Not to mention the impracticality of keeping a 20yr old car repaired when something major breaks, parts get discontinued, or the body rusts through and it becomes unsafe to drive. I'd bet that the 2024 Civic has a much better chance of survival and lower injury rate than the 2004 Civic under the same crash event circumstances.

Don't need to bet. Those 2004 models don't even have side curtain airbags. Let alone knee bags, advanced crash structures, and driver assists like emergency braking, etc.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

13 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Not being able to afford 50k on a basic electric car is apparently considered taboo or something. That's the only reason I can think of. If you can only afford 20-30k on a new gas vehicle or better yet, 10-20k on a solid used one if you need basic transportation, I guess screw you? 

Don't need to bet. Those 2004 models don't even have side curtain airbags. Let alone knee bags, advanced crash structures, and driver assists like emergency braking, etc.

Ultimately, it depends on your reasons for buying one or the other. While electric cars are certainly faster off the line, they lack 'soul' for lack of a better term. ICE vehicles are more interesting - one reason being you can actually hear the engine, in at least newer performance oriented vehicles, and older vehicles. In electric cars, you either have artificial sound, or you just hear whirring. Obviously you have situations where an electric might be preferable in relation to driving ease and noise. As an everyday vehicle without temperature extremes, electric cars can be quite nice, especially if you just want a peaceful commute to work, or just a peaceful commute in general. The all-wheel drive systems are also superior to ICE vehicles if you have all independent motors since you can now control each wheel fully independently from the other.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

20 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Exactly, if Linus really valued his employee he'd buy him a new car /hottake

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

Ultimately, it depends on your reasons for buying one or the other. While electric cars are certainly faster off the line, they lack 'soul' for lack of a better term. ICE vehicles are more interesting - one reason being you can actually hear the engine, in at least newer performance oriented vehicles, and older vehicles. In electric cars, you either have artificial sound, or you just hear whirring. Obviously you have situations where an electric might be preferable in relation to driving ease and noise. As an everyday vehicle without temperature extremes, electric cars can be quite nice, especially if you just want a peaceful commute to work, or just a peaceful commute in general. The all-wheel drive systems are also superior to ICE vehicles if you have all independent motors since you can now control each wheel fully independently from the other.

Bud there's no end of 'soulless' ICE powered vehicles as well.

Just now, Bitter said:

Bud there's no end of 'soulless' ICE powered vehicles as well.

I would agree for modern vehicles, but electric cars pretty much have no potential for it.

16 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I would agree for modern vehicles, but electric cars pretty much have no potential for it.

Don't knock it till you've tried it. What you lose in vroom-vroom noises, you gain in instant torque and throttle response. It's diesel-like, but smoother and quieter. No shifting, either.

I've been happy with my plug-in hybrid over the last 6 years. It still gets the same electric range it did when it was new (thanks, LiFePo4 batteries), and it gets 40 MPG on gas. Cold? Start the engine. Need to go farther than you've got charge? Oh no whatever shall we d- start the engine.

Plus it angers EV dorks and ICEholes alike!

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

6 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Don't knock it till you've tried it. What you lose in vroom-vroom noises, you gain in instant torque and throttle response.

I've been happy with my plug-in hybrid over the last 6 years. It still gets the same electric range it did when it was new (thanks, LiFePo4 batteries), and it gets 40 MPG on gas. Plus it angers EV dorks and ICEholes alike!

I'm not arguing any of that. I would still eventually get the 'itch' to drive a gasoline vehicle, including one with a manual transmission(a real manual transmission). It's not even necessarily about 'vroom-vroom' noises, but also the noise of a supercharger or turbocharger, intake noises, etc. It just feels more substantial than an EV.

But as I stated in my previous post, EVs have their place for sure, and as an everyday work/commute vehicle, they're excellent. Performance wise, they're excellent as well, but lack the 'soul' part completely. Some of the desire for using an ICE vehicle though for me is certainly based in irrationality. 

2 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

These days, monthly payments for a alot of vehicles is almost the same (In some cases it's more) as making a house payment.

I work with a kid that was looking at buying a house last summer.

He's now 22 with a 2023 Dodge 3500 factory lifted instead of a house. $1,700/mo for 7 years.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?