Toyota Corolla 1979 KE30 - Build log *for some to enjoy*

PBaines

100% off topic. But might be interesting to some.

From Desk to car, here is my latest project.

Bought me a KE30 that needs some doing up to get her perfect.

Plan is to drop a worked 4A-GE Blue top into it for some more power. Don't know when but at some stage the car has had a new worked 4K engine in it and maaan does it haul. Dragged off a 160hp Subaru Legacy! Though it guzzles down too much juice being twin carbey'd so the 4A-GE should give better fuel economy with a little more power.

Here are the trademe photos. Looks a lot nicer in those photos than it actually is! 

300693856.jpg

300693918.jpg

300693974.jpg

300694046.jpg

300694081.jpg

300694110.jpg

300694139.jpg

300694175.jpg

300694195.jpg

300694214.jpg

300694240.jpg

And here we have the work that I have started on her!
Basically just the Bog, fixed the vinyl on the front door cards as some muppet didn't do it properly the first time. vinyl doesn't have enough over hang so had to staple it in pretty much.
Installed some component speakers. Wired in the new head unit.
Replaced original creme door arms, door window rollers and window handles with original black ones. Ones that were in there had been painted red and then eventually it had all scraped off so looked piss poor. Also too much red in the car need to spice it up with some black. Some more chrome bits would be nice too. Will definitely put some chrome side mirrors on it

2014-01-30%2016.37.03.jpg

2014-01-30%2016.37.13.jpg

2014-01-30%2016.37.22.jpg

2014-01-30%2016.37.29.jpg

2014-01-30%2016.37.38.jpg

2014-01-30%2016.37.46.jpg

2014-01-30%2016.37.55.jpg

2014-02-02%2020.45.22.jpg

2014-02-02%2020.45.56.jpg

2014-02-02%2020.46.25.jpg

Here we have an update.

Primed/painted rear wind screen cutout as had rust and when previous owner painted the car red they didn't mask around the wind screen seals properly so a green rim around the seal was clearly visible and my OCD was too troublesome.

Put new bucket seats in as getting in and out of the car was a pain due to the steering wheel. So got some reclinables that I find much better (though not as comfy as a fixed seat)

.1.jpg

.2.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Time to fix up the left sill and other bits and pieces as the front and rear wind screens are in.

Today I painted the sill, and a little bit on the back. Next task will be to clear coat it all which I will do in a few days 

2014-04-15%2014.06.52.jpg

2014-04-15%2014.06.57.jpg

2014-04-15%2014.07.06.jpg

2014-04-15%2014.43.58.jpg

2014-04-15%2014.44.04.jpg

2014-04-15%2014.44.08.jpg

Forgot to do the glovebox when I did the dash!
2014-04-15%2015.23.23.jpg

2014-04-15%2015.31.54.jpg

2014-04-15%2015.47.56.jpg

Started bogging up and trying to get rid of all the cracks in the back of the bumper from previous owner who backed into a power pole.
16.jpg

Gave it a coat of prime to clearly outline areas that still needed to be sanded down.
17.jpg

After sanding for what seemed like forever I am happy with the result. 
18.jpg

Back now all painted, clear coated and buffed. 
19.jpg

Bumper back on. NOTE: Am going to get it chromed, and get new tail lights on the bumper. But am a lot happier with how it is looking at the moment. Chroming the bumper will be at the end of the list of things to do, will get the 4AGE dropped in it first.
20.jpg.

Have been quite busy lately. Have sort of come to a halt with work on the car as I am spending time rebuilding the 4AGE. Stripping the engine down It was clear that it had a blown head gasket, and probably ran low on oil for a while. Decided it was best to replace the bottom end and main bearings. Full gasket and also piston rings too as well as doing a hone. So this will basically be a brand new 4AGE once it is done. Also got the cams ground down at Kiwi Cams. They did a cut that they always do on stock ECU 4AGE's that go mint so will see how they go. Powerband from 2500rpm up and a slightly aggressive idle.

Received my central locking kit in the mail which I have eagerly been waiting for. it is not till you don't have central locking do you realise what a pain in the arse it is.
21.jpg

22.jpg

31.jpg

Getting the kit mounted on
23.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

Also got my new tail lights which look 100x times better.
33.jpg

34.jpg

Went for a nice drive down a gravel road too. It was 30 minutes of joy I assure you. Cannot wait to put a hilux diff in this with an LSD
39.jpg

Cam sheet for anyone interested
41.jpg

Time to start the motor. Taking pics of every angle so I know exactly where things go just in case. Even though I have a good idea anyway.
27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

36.jpg

After it was stripped down I got some citrus based degreaser to clean the block up a bit. Has come up very nice. Also that plate got bent in shipping to my place but will sort that obviously.
37.jpg

38.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

Getting the crank pulley off. Should have used a breaker bar but the only 6 point socket I had was 1/2" and my powerbuilt sett is 3/8"
45.jpg

Will get more pics up of the process of getting the new bearings etc

linuscartips?

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Here we have a true modder at heart. You have my respect from today (and from before) to the last! cheers ;)

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only a GTX 1080, just a single 1080, where my glorious PC once stood....

For that is all I need, For the Emperor of Man, Jen-Hsun Huang, protects. We march for Nvidia, and we shall know no fear!

linuscartips?

i just knew this was gonna be the first comment when i got to the bottom... lol

Also op.. wicked project man im kinda jelly, that could turn into the ultimate sleeper :)

i just knew this was gonna be the first comment when i got to the bottom... lol

Also op.. wicked project man im kinda jelly, that could turn into the ultimate sleeper :)

well at least its not as bad as youtubes first 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

well at least its not as bad as youtubes first 

sad but true, if only it werent so lol

Sick. I almost put a 4age in my old MR2. Good build, that was a lot of work!

Awesome project man, keep this thread going please :D. The painting/repair work is a little ghetto, but I'm just being fussy as I used to be a sprayer. Looking forward to hearing more on the engine work... 

I bet it will be like a terrier on crystal meth with that 4A-GE in the front^^
Nice build. I love the earlier corollas :D

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Nice car. :P

System 1: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus AT5IONT-I mini-ITX - Intel® Atom™ D525 onboard 1.8GHz Dual-Core HT - Integrated NVIDIA® ION™ - 2x 2GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

System 2: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus E2KM1I-DELUXE mini-ITX - AMD E2-2000 onboard 1.75GHz Dual-Core - Integrated AMD® Radeon HD 7340 - 2x 4GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

Building: Bitfenix Prodigy Black - Corsair AX860i - Asus Maximus VII Impact - Corsair Hydro Series H100i - Intel® Core™ i7 4790K - Asus Matrix Platinum GTX 980 4GB - Corsair 16GB Dominator Platinum 2x 8GB DDR3 2400MHz CL10 - Samsung 1TB EVO 840 Series

That is one nice looking car, why don't cars look like that anymore...

And do they call it KiwiCams just because it's a NZ company?

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

That is one nice looking car, why don't cars look like that anymore...

And do they call it KiwiCams just because it's a NZ company?

Yeah I think they just call it KiwiCams because it is an NZ company. Quite a few places over here have something New Zealand oriented in their names

Replaced the main and big end bearings, also new piston rings on the 4AGE. That's the block done. Time to reshim the head and the engine will be all go!

2014-05-21%2011.11.25.jpg

Replaced the main and big end bearings, also new piston rings on the 4AGE. That's the block done. Time to reshim the head and the engine will be all go!

Damn that's a clean engine block for it's age^^ (Get it? for its age 4(its)AGE xD 4A-GE.. alright.. bad pun... I'll let myself out)

Planning any special goodies in the engine? I thought i saw some new cams somewhere in the pictures^^

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

-snip-

Not impressed. It clearly needs a custom NAS installed and a liquid nitrogen cooled gaming rig.

But in all seriousness, how much for a sweet night of passionate sex with her?

Damn that's a clean engine block for it's age^^ (Get it? for its age 4(its)AGE xD 4A-GE.. alright.. bad pun... I'll let myself out)

Planning any special goodies in the engine? I thought i saw some new cams somewhere in the pictures^^

Good pun :D haha

Got new cams yup. Cam sheet specs are in OP. Planning to get higher compression pistons, aftermarket ECU and ajustable cam gears at the end of the year but will stick with the stock engine + new cams for the moment.

Not impressed. It clearly needs a custom NAS installed and a liquid nitrogen cooled gaming rig.

But in all seriousness, how much for a sweet night of passionate sex with her?

What is this. Pimp my ride? should I put 2 tv's inside and then add a wine brewer and a 6" tv on the rear guards too? lol

You'll have to rub her tip and make her purr before you can get too excited.

but will stick with the stock engine 

soon.

mustang_engine_blog.jpg

people seem to do engine swap these cars a lot ,everyone likes engine swaps  :rolleyes:

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Much JPEGs, so bandwidth eating.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

soon.

snip

people seem to do engine swap these cars a lot ,everyone likes engine swaps  :rolleyes:

I have no intentions to turbo  this car. I just wanted a new engine that was more powerful and didn't consume 11litres per 100km like the current 4k engine does in it at the moment lol.

Power is good.

Really cool project! Im looking forward to seeing more as it continues. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Im looking forward to seeing more as it continues. 

I'm not.  If I wanted to follow a car build I would be a member of a car building/renovating forum but I'm not cos' I'm not.

"This too shall pass"

I'm not.  If I wanted to follow a car build I would be a member of a car building/renovating forum but I'm not cos' I'm not.

Welcome to the "Off Topic" LOL You will find that many of the members here have other hobbies that are not necessarily tech related and enjoy sharing our hobbies and experiences with this community. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

You will find that many of the members here have other hobbies that are not necessarily tech related and enjoy sharing our hobbies and experiences with this community. 

Going by that logic I can post 20 gazzillion bandwidth eating JPEGs about my flower arranging/morris dancing (ok I am not really "into" either of those but if I was...).

Then again I could (and should) just ignore this thread.

Ooops this is the off topic forum how the $%^& did I get here?

"This too shall pass"

Going by that logic I can post 20 gazzillion bandwidth eating JPEGs about my flower arranging/morris dancing (ok I am not really "into" either of those but if I was...).

Yes. You certainly could do exactly that in the Off Topic... 

Then again I could (and should) just ignore this thread.

Ooops this is the off topic forum how the $%^& did I get here?

If you are really only interested in the tech related things here, you might want to stay away from the Off Topic.