LTT Official Folding Month VI

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Message added by TVwazhere,

Daily point updates are posted here:

aiming at end of event to have hit 750 million points total.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

8 hours ago, ObeliskAG said:

Quite surprising to see just how much more Folding grunt a RTX 3080 Ti (10,240 shaders) has over a RTX 3080 (8,704 shaders), given how you don't see a comparable uplift in gaming FPS. However, the 4070 Ti seems to be the big winner for Folding efficiency.

actually you can often see slight fps change but huge productivity uplift in hardware,

also 3080 vs 3080ti isn't just, 1000+ more shaders.

the most I can quickly gather is,

3080ti has:

1000+ more shading units

20+ more ROPS

16 more TMUS

2GB more VRAM

12 more SM units

48 more Tensor cores

12 more RT cores

1MB more L2 cache

64bit higher memobry bus width

with that done I'll leave you with another meme:

warm.thumb.jpeg.9fe544af8e7790f16084e8b68fcff703.jpeg

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

9 hours ago, dogwitch said:

aiming at end of event to have hit 750 million points total.

Drop the 0 and that's where I hope to be 😅 Just tossed the RPi5 in the other room and running headless to help

My Folding Stats

Current Rigs

Raspberry Pi 5 8GB, Raspberry Pi 4 4GB, Raspberry Pi 3, Raspberry Pi Zero W, Raspberry Pi Zero...I like Pi

Fractal North,ASRock Riptide B550, Ryzen 7 5700X, 6700XT with custom CPU/GPU loop.

12 hours ago, TheLANguy said:

Strange 1/30 days folding? It looks like the active days folding reset.

image.png.7211d764ae98873aafb5169e31676cb1.png

It's a Monthly Active day count, and it's December, 1st 😉  The GUI is probably cached on the word November and will reset shortly based on your location / timezone.

Edit: Pushed so much new stuff this year, I will be bug squashing most of next year.

Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of LAR_Systems "Folding@Home in the Dark" browser extension and GPU / CPU PPD Database. 

15 hours ago, soccermomisqueen said:

Looking at the details page for the 12600k, it is either the servers (and/or clients) had a brain fart and used the GPU and CPU combined numbers, or the CPUs that were used for the numbers just hit a massive batch of workloads that were perfectly optimized for CPU folding since the top 4 in the ranking chart are the only ones that are above the "average performance of the CPU"

image.thumb.png.ac078e3a62eb49af620ddaf8a97016e2.png

image.thumb.png.948fa4d594d0966043f3ff88004ad4ea.png

Another thing that is interesting as well is that the CPU folding times are very low and seem to be very GPU-like (I am basing that off of a i7-10870H CPU @ 2.20GHz taking about 8 hours on 8 cores to complete 1 WU).

This is a known pain in my ass when one of two things happen with the Folding@Home V7 client.

2 things can cause this.

The first is unicorn work units, if you go to the bottom of the page you will see some work units / projects might report some massive anomaly of PPD for a project that drags the average up on a device well beyond how it would perform on the majority of projects.

The other is some people will port forward the web client to a remote machine so they can monitor that machine... but the V7 Client does not report back the real CPU running on the slot as part of the remote data, it ends up reflecting the local machine the client is viewed on CPUs.

So if you have someone with a Xeon / Epic nasty CPU server, but they view it on some old i3 POS laptop... the I3 might get recorded as having awesome stats... there is no way for me to tell that's happening automatically, all I can do is sweep moderate records that don't make sense from time to time.

The good news... the new V8 F@H Client Beta reports the real CPU on a local or remote machine removing the bulk of these issues... as I see I more users start using the V8 Beta Client for my system, I will remove CPU reporting completely from the V7 version to have better data overall.

Thank you for attending my Ted Talk.

Edit:  Investigated, this particular CPU seems to be someone remoting in to something bigger, I just searched by the irregularities and they are all grouped.  Thanks for the report.

Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of LAR_Systems "Folding@Home in the Dark" browser extension and GPU / CPU PPD Database. 

1 hour ago, LAR_Systems said:

This is a known pain in my ass when one of two things happen with the Folding@Home V7 client.

2 things can cause this.

The first is unicorn work units, if you go to the bottom of the page you will see some work units / projects might report some massive anomaly of PPD for a project that drags the average up on a device well beyond how it would perform on the majority of projects.

The other is some people will port forward the web client to a remote machine so they can monitor that machine... but the V7 Client does not report back the real CPU running on the slot as part of the remote data, it ends up reflecting the local machine the client is viewed on CPUs.

So if you have someone with a Xeon / Epic nasty CPU server, but they view it on some old i3 POS laptop... the I3 might get recorded as having awesome stats... there is no way for me to tell that's happening automatically, all I can do is sweep moderate records that don't make sense from time to time.

The good news... the new V8 F@H Client Beta reports the real CPU on a local or remote machine removing the bulk of these issues... as I see I more users start using the V8 Beta Client for my system, I will remove CPU reporting completely from the V7 version to have better data overall.

Edit:  Investigated, this particular CPU seems to be someone remoting in to something bigger, I just searched by the irregularities and they are all grouped.  Thanks for the report.

I seem to remember somebody did a couple WU on LNG, just to show the difference at one point (no clue which CPU or generation).  So things like cryo/AC cooling systems I'm sure will be other outliers as well.

1 hour ago, justpoet said:

I seem to remember somebody did a couple WU on LNG, just to show the difference at one point (no clue which CPU or generation).  So things like cryo/AC cooling systems I'm sure will be other outliers as well.

The system working on averages smooths out that kind of thing... like unless you run on LNG for weeks you should not taint the record sets, as there would be tons of regular entries and the few strange outliers.   Same is on GPU PPD when some change clocks, bios, water cool etc.

The big killer is when they attach to something remotely and forward the ports and then log hundreds of data samples over the course of weeks as that will start to move the needle if it's a server CPU with massive number of cores, but the machine they observe on is some low core regular chip... that will mis read the number of threads vs the PPD (lower threads, higher PPD) and juice the scores.  

The records in question on the reported case where in the thousands... someone left that running some strange way for weeks on end.

3 minutes ago, LAR_Systems said:

The big killer is when they attach to something remotely and forward the ports and then log hundreds of data samples over the course of weeks as that will start to move the needle.

I don't understand, how is it able to get the CPU wrong if forwarding?

The whole web page is fed from port 7396 so even if you forwarded that the client should report the remote CPU data.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

19 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I don't understand, how is it able to get the CPU wrong if forwarding?

The whole web page is fed from port 7396 so even if you forwarded that the client should report the remote CPU data.

In Version 7 the JSON with the CPU slot PPD does not identify it other than it's a CPU and number of threads.  The work work around was needing to use the plugin/browser extension framework to get the actual CPU name, make, min/max threads etc.

In Version 8 they handle this correctly where all hardware is identified over the socket connection of the remote machine by the folding client and passed in the early connection data.

In Version 7, the default web interface and it's underlying code / APIs appeared to be an after thought with the focus on the trey application which reports all the correct full remote information via the logs etc.

2 minutes ago, LAR_Systems said:

In Version 7 the JSON with the CPU slot PPD does not identify it other than it's a CPU and number of threads.  The work work around was needing to use the plugin/browser extension framework to get the actual CPU name, make, min/max threads etc.

In Version 8 they handle this correctly where all hardware is identified over the socket connection of the remote machine by the folding client and passed in the early connection data.

In Version 7, the default web interface and it's underlying code / APIs appeared to be an after thought with the focus on the trey application which reports all the correct full remote information via the logs etc.

Come to think of it, v7 only tells you the CPU as I recall in System Info.  I couldn't be bothered to scrape that so hard-code the CPU info in my v7 to v8 json translation script.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Come to think of it, v7 only tells you the CPU as I recall in System Info.  I couldn't be bothered to scrape that so hard-code the CPU info in my v7 to v8 json translation script.

Which I don't have access to in a web extension, for the remote system etc.  Hence the issue.

Best that could be done on 7, know the vast majority are not port forwarding, get the info the extension is allowed to get and have to sweep moderate stuff that is whacky... but that's manual... and I only got so many hours in the day.

If V8 becomes the main app, problem solved, but been sitting on the same beta version for a long time, so who knows.  

4 minutes ago, LAR_Systems said:

Which I don't have access to in a web extension, for the remote system etc.  Hence the issue.

Best that could be done on 7, know the vast majority are not port forwarding, get the info the extension is allowed to get and have to sweep moderate stuff that is whacky... but that's manual... and I only got so many hours in the day.

If V8 becomes the main app, problem solved, but been sitting on the same beta version for a long time, so who knows.  

Yeah I was dabbling with v8 last event, but it stopped working on the Mac Mini so went full v7 this time.

5 hours ago, LAR_Systems said:

2 things can cause this.

Thanks for following up on this. I have been shopping for some new hardware for a plex server and I was thinking about going with the 12600k because it was on sale for $153 USD. I checked the folding performance out of curiosity and was shocked to see the discounted 2 gen old CPU topped the list. I figured it was an anomaly in the data but I had no idea why. It has gone back up to around $190 at this point so I am holding off for a bit hoping it goes on sale again before Christmas. I would much rather build an AMD system again, but Plex uses the Intel iGPU for transcoding and so I'm forced to buy something from Intel regardless.

AMD Ryzen 5600x, NVIDIA 3090 FE, 2 x 16 DDR4-3200 Corsair Vengeance, 2TB 980 Pro, 1TB 860 EVO, Dual 24" 1080p, RM1000x, Noctua NH-U12S, 220T RGB

11 minutes ago, SpaceRazor said:

Thanks for following up on this. I have been shopping for some new hardware for a plex server and I was thinking about going with the 12600k because it was on sale for $153 USD. I checked the folding performance out of curiosity and was shocked to see the discounted 2 gen old CPU topped the list. I figured it was an anomaly in the data but I had no idea why. It has gone back up to around $190 at this point so I am holding off for a bit hoping it goes on sale again before Christmas. I would much rather build an AMD system again, but Plex uses the Intel iGPU for transcoding and so I'm forced to buy something from Intel regardless.

Cheap ARC card?

I certainly considered that route. One of the big benefits of using onboard graphics is that you get a ton of transcoding performance with very little power draw or heat. Also, it leaves my PCIe slots for GPUs more suited to folding 😉

I can't say that Intel onboard graphics are any better than AMDs, just that Plex has chosen to support and tailor their software to Intel graphics. It is a decision they made before AMD put themselves on back on the map in the CPU space so I get why they backed that horse, but now they are on a path that would require big changes if they wanted to add support for AMD onboard graphics and I don't know if the will is there.

AMD Ryzen 5600x, NVIDIA 3090 FE, 2 x 16 DDR4-3200 Corsair Vengeance, 2TB 980 Pro, 1TB 860 EVO, Dual 24" 1080p, RM1000x, Noctua NH-U12S, 220T RGB

Does this mark the end of folding month? I just got my electric bill and it shot up $110...

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Does this mark the end of folding month? I just got my electric bill and it shot up $110...

The end... a few more days yet 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

folding month runs until the end of the 6th of december

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

curious if it can hold 3ghz and not kill work units 

image.png.884348b8540adb39d06d41f2261905cc.png

Pretty good temp for a two slot 4070ti 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

the math checks out points look good.

giphy (7).gif

My EOC F@H stats | My F@H Stats | My Real time F@H Production | My Boinc Stats

My team in point Generation order:

- Bender: Corsair CARBIDE 600C | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | Noctua NH-U14H | 1TB Toshiba SSD | EVGA XC3 Ultra 3070LHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | EVGA FTW 3070FHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 1000 Gold SSR-1000FX | 55" Samsung 120Hz 3D TV

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Scooty-Puff: Alienware M15R5 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7-5800H | 64GB DDR4-3200 | PC711 & WD SN750 SE 1TB | 3070M | 240 Watt ACadapter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Omicron_Persei_8: Dell G5 5511 | Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS | Intel i7-11800 | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 1x512GB BC711 & 2TB Intel 660p | 3060M | 240 Watt ACadapter

- Calculon (MainTower): Fractal Design Meshify S2 White | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 3900x | 32GB DDR4-3200 TridentZ RGB | Noctua NH-D15 | 1x SN750SE | AMD 5700XT XFX Rx-57XT8OFF6 | Gigabyte X570 WiFi Pro | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 Gold SSR-750FX | 2x Dell S3422DWG & Dell U2715H & Dell U2917W

- Leela:  Fractal Design Focus G Blue | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz | AMD Wraith cooler | Toshiba KSG60ZMV256G | EVGA 2060 KO | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650 Gold SSR-650-FX | 

Honorable Mentions:

- iZac (Server): Fractal Design Node 804 | Win 11 Pro | Ryzen 5700G | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | AMD Wraith Prism

5x1TB NVME | 2x2TB 7x4TB 1x 8TB SATA HDD | ASROCKRACK x470D4U | RM750i PSU | NO Monitor

- Nibbler: Framework 16 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7 7840HS | 16" 2560x1600 | 64 GB RAM DDR5-5600 | 2TB WD SN770m & 2TB Seagate FireCuda 530 | AMD 780M  | 180Watt ACadapter

2023 Model 3 Ryzen APU | 2TB Samsung T7

Useful stuff i may mention

F@H Babysitter | F@H in the Dark | HFM Setup

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

RIP wallet.

I'm burning £12 a day...

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

21 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

curious if it can hold 3ghz and not kill work units 

image.png.884348b8540adb39d06d41f2261905cc.png

Pretty good temp for a two slot 4070ti 

That's interesting, as I seem to get voltage limited at ~1040mV on the 4090 FE.  Always puzzled me why the voltage curve goes to 1250mV but it wont actually go that high.

I probably lose a bit on the 4070 Tis as they're on Linux, but then they perform so much better on Linux it would probably be a downgrade to move to Windows even if they clocked higher.