GN's Goals, Scope, Approach, & Reporting Stances & Policies (NEW video)

GN has published, both on yt and on their website, a video explaining their policies for why and when they do or don't contact a company for comment before publishing a video. Among other things.

Much of the criticism, from even Linus himself, was about publishing without first "reaching out". It was deemed unethical, or not real "journalism" by Dr. Ian Cutress even. This was his main gripe with them iirc.

It didn't seem unfair to me to not contact LTT for the original video, and in the HW News vid they did they explained. But here it is in much more detail and with historical examples of how, when and why they choose to either contact or not contact a company for comment. This being Dr. Cutress of Techtechpotato's main problem with the exposé also led to many people declaring that GN does not do "real investigative journalism".

I'm not a journalist, and GN sprinkling opinions throughout their video I can understand as criticism. But what's you opinion on GNs practices?

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

Seems like there's been a huge upturning of the tech reviewer scene lately. Guess they're trying to remain relevant so people don't forget about them during the recession. I find it funny that Jay just kept his head down and didn't chime in...though, most of his videos lately have just been rants. I feel he's lost the love.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

52 minutes ago, VicBar said:

a video explaining their policies for why and when they do or don't contact a company for comment before publishing a video

Seems great, but as what every management / motivator / psychologist would say, "Communication" is the key

52 minutes ago, VicBar said:

was about publishing without first "reaching out". It was deemed unethical, or not real "journalism" by Dr. Ian Cutress eve

Staying unbiased or unaffected by the sponsor is great, but maintain a good long term business relationship and coordination is also great

Reaching out to sponsor to clarify / reconfirm / double check is fine as long as the sponsor don't steer your opinion or output results on their favour

In my opinion, if GN don't wanna make any communication / reaching out to the sponsor, then 'the real journalism' should be just purchase from the market place with their own money, do destructive testing or whatever method necessary, and post the result while mocking criticize on the results is the right thing to do

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

They took it down, I never got a chance to watch it what was the issue.

Just now, Bingodingo said:

They took it down, I never got a chance to watch it what was the issue.

I was mid way through, gn post says tone on video.

Think he said we dont make buddy buddy with the sponsors like some others it seemed like a jab at the dbrand thing.

.... Wait. Is it just me or was the GN video privated? 

Just now, Darth Xaim said:

.... Wait. Is it just me or was the GN video privated? 

yeah something happened there. 

So according to the post, they didn't like some things in the video and agreed with some of the comments and wanted to make some changes. I can't fault that. 

Just now, Bingodingo said:

anybody a fervent internet archivist with a copy of the video?

It will be back, they are just editing it by the sound of it. 

7 minutes ago, William Payne said:

It will be back, they are just editing it by the sound of it. 

Judging from the community post, its not going to be any time soon. As they are waiting for the whole LTT situation to cool down first

✨FNIGE✨

3 minutes ago, Fnige said:

Judging from the community post, its not going to be any time soon. As they are waiting for the whole LTT situation to cool down first

That doesn't bother me. I am sure it will bother someone. 

I've had an off taste in terms of GNs coverage for quite some time now. Goes back to Artesian where the whole video was soaked in shockumetary effects like mood setting music and footage of Steve going to the site in the dark of night. 

They really want to be journalists but imo they take pages from the wrong book. Could be a European vs American culture thing. And I don't think it invalidates their reporting in general. 

Another thing is the sarcasm/condescending tone but again, that is my personal opinion and it should not count against the content of their reporting. 

Its good that they take feedback but I doubt it will be changes that make me come back. 

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

57 minutes ago, VicBar said:

It didn't seem unfair to me to not contact LTT for the original video, and in the HW News vid they did they explained. But here it is in much more detail and with historical examples of how, when and why they choose to either contact or not contact a company for comment. This being Dr. Cutress of Techtechpotato's main problem with the exposé also led to many people declaring that GN does not do "real investigative journalism".

I'm not a journalist, and GN sprinkling opinions throughout their video I can understand as criticism. But what's you opinion on GNs practices?

Absolutely was fair not to contact LTT about the issues, because if they their quality control, systems and checks where in place they would have absolutely picked up on it themselves.

And the indication was they where aware of these issues but could not be bothered as by Linus saying they could not be bothered to reshoot a video and spend $500 to fix a video.

And blaming a mouse company for not checking the bottom of a mouse for a protective film when that mouse was most likely handled by a dozen people before the review and not a single person though to look at the bottom of said mouse.

Not to mention the shit show that was the water block prototype that they absolutely knew was not designed for the video card in question but still went ahead and knowingly reviewed it with the wrong hardware.

And to all the LLT defenders grinding their teeth and yelling at Steve being biased and calling his video hit pieces. He is holding LTT to their own standards. Remember what Linus said about corporations?

They are absolutely not your friend, and their apology video screamed big multi million dollar corporation we are reading our apologies from a pre scripted teleprompter.

Not to mention their absolute arrogance that goes with being a big company making jokes during the video plugging store merch, releasing it as an exclusive on floatplane and monatizing the video.

These actions and behaviour are all the hall marks of a corporation that cares more about profits than anything else.

6 minutes ago, LinusTechLies said:

Absolutely was fair not to contact LTT about the issues, because if they their quality control, systems and checks where in place they would have absolutely picked up on it themselves.

And the indication was they where aware of these issues but could not be bothered as by Linus saying they could not be bothered to reshoot a video and spend $500 to fix a video.

And blaming a mouse company for not checking the bottom of a mouse for a protective film when that mouse was most likely handled by a dozen people before the review and not a single person though to look at the bottom of said mouse.

Not to mention the shit show that was the water block prototype that they absolutely knew was not designed for the video card in question but still went ahead and knowingly reviewed it with the wrong hardware.

And to all the LLT defenders grinding their teeth and yelling at Steve being biased and calling his video hit pieces. He is holding LTT to their own standards. Remember what Linus said about corporations?

They are absolutely not your friend, and their apology video screamed big multi million dollar corporation we are reading our apologies from a pre scripted teleprompter.

Not to mention their absolute arrogance that goes with being a big company making jokes during the video plugging store merch, releasing it as an exclusive on floatplane and monatizing the video.

These actions and behaviour are all the hall marks of a corporation that cares more about profits than anything else.

I have no problem with your comment and I have no problem with your opinions but I notice your username. I also notice you are new here. I don't know how old you are or how personally effected you feel are by this whole thing. I just want to say don't take it personally. At the end of the day it is just youtube and is just gaming. Life goes on. No fan should be this personally involved in anything they watch on youtube. 

Well i guess Steve was way to cocky, praising themselves as the saviour for the customer in that video, kinda being arrogant?

@LinusTechLies GamersNexus is also just a corporation. Never forget that. Everyone who does YT for a living is a corporation. You can´t trust GN more than any other youtuber.

< removed by moderation >

Edited by LogicalDrm

Just now, pApA^LeGBa said:

Well i guess Steve was way to cocky, praising themselves as the saviour for the customer in that video, kinda beeing arrogant?

@LinusTechLies GamersNexus is also just a corporation. Never forget that. Everyone who does YT for a living is a corporation. You can´t trust GN more than any other youtuber.

I can tell you didn't watch the video. 

8 minutes ago, William Payne said:

I have no problem with your comment and I have no problem with your opinions but I notice your username. I also notice you are new here. I don't know how old you are or how personally effected you feel are by this whole thing. I just want to say don't take it personally. At the end of the day it is just youtube and is just gaming. Life goes on. No fan should be this personally involved in anything they watch on youtube. 

cult of personality

like dr cutness ref in his video

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

1 minute ago, dogwitch said:

cult of personality

like dr cutness ref in his video

I definitely can't relate. I have never trusted anyone that much to just follow blindly. Everything should be taken with a grain of salt. 

15 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Well i guess Steve was way to cocky, praising themselves as the saviour for the customer in that video, kinda being arrogant?

Tell me you didn't watch the video without telling me you did not watch the video. < removed by moderation >

Edited by LogicalDrm

7 minutes ago, William Payne said:

I definitely can't relate. I have never trusted anyone that much to just follow blindly. Everything should be taken with a grain of salt. 

i sadly meet and talk to to many that do.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

3 minutes ago, dogwitch said:

i sadly meet and talk to to many that do.

The only tech outfit that I will blindly follow as far as component choices is Puget Systems. Their customers spend way too much money and have way too much at stake for them to be incorrect. 

*** Thread cleaned ***

Try to keep personal attacks out of this. Those will include age of account, usernames, speculations on someone's age and background. Those things will not help or advance healthy conversation.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

*** Thread cleaned ***

Try to keep personal attacks out of this. Those will include age of account, usernames, speculations on someone's age and background. Those things will not help or advance healthy conversation.

Wow what did I miss. Something must have gone by quick. I thought things were pretty civil. But I say once again. Nothing about anything that has happened should cause anyone to resort to attacking people. That is wrong.