GN's Goals, Scope, Approach, & Reporting Stances & Policies (NEW video)

4 minutes ago, William Payne said:

The only tech outfit that I will blindly follow as far as component choices is Puget Systems. Their customers spend way too much money and have way too much at stake for them to be incorrect. 

and lvl1tech,geering engineering.

both do high lvl stuff that both puget and 45 drives listen to.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

10 minutes ago, William Payne said:

Wow what did I miss. Something must have gone by quick. I thought things were pretty civil. But I say once again. Nothing about anything that has happened should cause anyone to resort to attacking people. That is wrong. 

Nah, it didn't get too bad. Mod just got on top of it quickly before it spun out of control. 

Edit: For now I guess.... 

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

@LinusTechLies Well starting the sentence with "I guess" does make that pretty clear i would say. I never got the chance to watch it. I don´t trust your take on that tbh, you are obviously a GN fan.

1 minute ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

@LinusTechLies Well starting the sentence with "I guess" does make that pretty clear i would say. I never got the chance to watch it. I don´t trust your take on that tbh, you are obviously a GN fan.

Well if I may try and sound unbiased. All they did was publicly disclose how they operate and their practice's and policies. So it would be up to you whether they aligned with your values. 

Screenshot_20230827-110256_Samsung Internet Beta.png

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

18 minutes ago, William Payne said:

Well if I may try and sound unbiased. All they did was publicly disclose how they operate and their practice's and policies. So it would be up to you whether they aligned with your values. 

I just read the statement that was posted from GN why it was put down. And they said the delivery and the tone of the video weren´t appropriate. And knowing GN i assumed he was kinda cocky. He has that attitude in videos sometimes, especially when they do those accusing videos.

Just now, pApA^LeGBa said:

I just read the statement that was posted from GN why it was put down. And they said the delivery and the tone of the video weren´t appropriate. And knowing GN i assumed he was kinda cocky. He has that attitude in videos sometimes, especially when they do those accusing videos.

I have never personally found GN to be cocky. But I can see why someone may do. Communication can vary depending on how it sounds to the listeners. But that is a massive variable. 

2 hours ago, VicBar said:

It didn't seem unfair to me to not contact LTT for the original video

It was unfair and bad journalism to not reach out to LTT before publishing their video. And as a "friend", he should have reached out anyway.

To make this clear: Not to get permission to publish, but to give LTT/Linus a chance to say something about it. This is always done in journalistically high-quality formats.

2 minutes ago, William Payne said:

I have never personally found GN to be cocky. But I can see why someone may do. Communication can vary depending on how it sounds to the listeners. But that is a massive variable. 

i like him, as a person,  seems a nice guy (although that can be deceiving  but i have to go from what i see / know...) 

My issue with him is like with 99% of "tech tubers" the pseudo scientific veil of a salesman, that isnt actually a scientist and doesn't use scientific methods,  but pseudo scientific methods.  ie. unbelievable,  unreliable hokus pokus.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

i like him, as a person,  seems a nice guy (although that can be deceiving  but i have to go from what i see / know...) 

My issue with him is like with 99% of "tech tubers" the pseudo scientific veil of a salesman, that isnt actually a scientist and doesn't use scientific methods,  but pseudo scientific methods.  ie. unbelievable,  unreliable hokus pokus.

The only way to correct that would be to only have reviews done by scientific engineers. That would be a highly unrealistic expectation for gaming tech channels. 

What does bother me with GN is his take that other youtubers are seen as corporations if they sell things (wich was what GN said when the backpack released about LTT) and are treated the same as any other company. (Wich is fine, good take). But at the same time Der8auer doesn´t get treated like that. And Der8auer does sell tech/hardware and not just merch. His deliding tools, the CPU frames and he is CEO of ThermalGrizzly. (I am assuming he also is at least partly owner)

Or did this change now and was adressed in the video?

2 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

What does bother me with GN is his take that other youtubers are seen as corporations if they sell things (wich was what GN said when the backpack released about LTT) and treated the same as any other company, if they sell things, but at the same time Der8auer doesn´t get treated like that. And Der8auer does sell tech/hardware. His deliding tools, the CPU frames and he is CEO of ThermalGrizzly. (Assuming he also is at least partly owner)

All I can say is if someone sells a product, they need have a full system in place for returns, warranty, repair all that stuff. 

Its like anyone offering to build a PC for someone as a business model. If you get into the pc building business, it doesn't stop once the pc is delivered to the customer. You have to offer full technical support for that system. Be able to warranty and replace any parts that may become faulty. 

That is important. 

42 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

What does bother me with GN is his take that other youtubers are seen as corporations if they sell things (wich was what GN said when the backpack released about LTT) and are treated the same as any other company. (Wich is fine, good take). But at the same time Der8auer doesn´t get treated like that. And Der8auer does sell tech/hardware and not just merch. His deliding tools, the CPU frames and he is CEO of ThermalGrizzly. (I am assuming he also is at least partly owner)

Or did this change now and was adressed in the video?

debauer is his friend, got his own business

buildzoid is his friend, got endorsed with many boards and ram and cpu.

evga is his friend, got invited to many evga places

He wont touch his friends this hypocrite

Steve recently traveled to Amd, why did he not grill them how Amd let slip vsoc 1.4v for X3D cpu? Steve made videos pinning the blame on Asus. 

Yet Amd agesa totally allowed 1.4v vsoc for X3D initially, why did he not grill Amd face to face?

Thats right, he got offered to travel to Amd, he does not dare burn Amd did he not?

Hypocrite faker. 

2 minutes ago, perryckd said:

debauer is his friend, got his own business

buildzoid is his friend, got endorsed with many boards and ram and cpu.

evga is his friend, got invited to many evga places

He wont touch his friends this hypocrite

Steve recently traveled to Amd, why did he not grill them how Amd let slip vsoc 1.4v for X3D cpu? Steve made videos pinning the blame on Asus. 

Yet Amd agesa totally allowed 1.4v vsoc for X3D initially, why did he not grill Amd face to face?

Thats right, he got offered to travel to Amd, he does not dare burn Amd did he not?

Hypocrite faker. 

I am on the wrong forum. I don't care enough to be this angry.

I just really don't give a damn. 

1 minute ago, William Payne said:

I am on the wrong forum. I don't care enough to be this angry.

I just really don't give a damn. 

Yes i am angry with how manipulative people can be. They call tell you straight in your faces, im doing this for you, i care for you.

The next thing you know, they rallied the whole office to kick you out because you are a threat. Life is unfair, i hate the internet is doing the same thing about

Just now, perryckd said:

Yes i am angry with how manipulative people can be. They call tell you straight in your faces, im doing this for you, i care for you.

The next thing you know, they rallied the whole office to kick you out because you are a threat. Life is unfair, i hate the internet is doing the same thing about

Hahaha yeah the sooner you stop expecting things of people the happier you will be. Been there done that. Stopped caring. 

1 hour ago, Battlenat0r said:

There seems to be a video grabbed before it was ¨removed¨ or privated.
Gamers Nexus: This is Important: Our Ethics Policies, Contact Transparency, & Reporting Stances

thank you 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

3 hours ago, William Payne said:

The only way to correct that would be to only have reviews done by scientific engineers. That would be a highly unrealistic expectation for gaming tech channels. 

that's so wrong... one way would be to stop acting like they're using scientific methods *very very* simple. i don't think you understood what i was saying tbh, do you understand the difference between an expert and a marketer? 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

From GN on why they took it down:

YT Community: After reading some of the commenter criticisms of the "Defining GN's Goals" video, primarily those on tone and delivery, I agree with some of them and reflecting on it, I'm going to pull the video as I'm not completely happy with the way the video came out. We stand by the policies (they already existed, so not much changed), but the delivery needs to be better. We'd been working on it to add as another entry in our updates as to how we operate and our practices/policies, and of course it was inspired by what we learned lately. I think, taking in and considering the commenter criticisms, it could have been both delivered better in the video itself and timed better (to post much later, once things have settled) to allow ourselves to fully focus on just the GN-specific operating aspect. It was meant to be a transparency disclosure of our general operating guidelines, but those early commenters are right that tone may have felt off in places, and certainly it can be more concise. I'm going to pull the video to make a better version of this for the future (and also shorter). We will wait a while, then adjust the tone and phrasing to more appropriately achieve our original goal (which was to outline what GN believes/does to inform our audience -- that's it), reshoot, and bring a better explainer back once more time passes with other general updates to GN in one of our normal improvements update videos. We'll reconvene on this properly and make a better one then. For now, we'll go back to running the technical reviews content since that appears to be the #1 request/criticism in the comments. Sorry for missing the mark on that one. The comments are right that it was too close to everything else and I misjudged that, so it felt 'off' for a few reasons. The other Nexus site transparency updates remain live (and the 'video interface changes' we talked about are still moving forward).

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I watched the entire thing, and there's nothing controversial about it.

Taking it down is Steve's heavily emotional response based on a few heavily emotional comments.

Well I did see the video this morning and I didn't see any issue.

When they did the LMG takedown video, LTT had already commented on every issue raised. Linus did say himself that doing a proper test for the cooler was not worth $300  and the video where the employees complained about tight schedules leading to sloppy production was also public.

Nothing Linus could have added to that, and his initial reaction did nothing then doubling down.

About Steve being snarky and what not, he still has to entertain to pay the bills and as long as the info is correct (or properly corrected) it is all good.

Everybody should rewatch the LTT video with ElectroBoom where they tested wireless antistatic wrist band. Dead obvious that those are a scam, but the still tested them BEFORE starting to take a piss.

As for Der8auer being treated differently, I don't see when and where that happened. If he or the company(ies?) he is involved with are caught doing something shady and Steve stays silent, thats when you have a case.

4 hours ago, LinusTechLies said:

Absolutely was fair not to contact LTT about the issues, because if they their quality control, systems and checks where in place they would have absolutely picked up on it themselves.

They did, and many issues were caught. Some were caught too late, or had corrections that were subpar (such as pinned comments). Contacting LTT for comment would have explained certain things such as the fact that they were initially told they could keep the prototype, That there was a miscommunication within the company that caused the prototype to not be flagged as being returned, and the fact that they were already on the case of reimbursing billet before the GN video went up. 

And blaming a mouse company for not checking the bottom of a mouse for a protective film when that mouse was most likely handled by a dozen people before the review and not a single person though to look at the bottom of said mouse.

Then the mouse company should make the film more obvious, as there competitors do (such as whole mouse films and putting the mouse in a protective bag instead). If it was that easy for them to miss it, that points the blame to the mouse company. 

they absolutely knew was not designed for the video card

Neither Billet, or LTT knew if the waterblock would work with a 4090. To claim that they were certain that it wouldn't work is a complete lie. 

Steve being biased and calling his video hit pieces

Linus got emotional, as you likely would if you has the entire community coming for you. His initial response was understandable, though unfortunately he phrased things in such ways that made the community much more disappointed, such as the auctioned vs sold that you have previously bought up. Steve inherently has a Bias, as there company's directly compete. Various pieces of steves video were subjective where they should have been objective. Not all of steves videos was "cold hard facts" and he push's a narrative against LMG the entire time. 

their apology video screamed big multi million dollar corporation we are reading our apologies from a pre scripted teleprompter.

They get screamed at when linus posts his opinions unscripted, and screamed at when they do a (semi) corporate response, what exactly do you want? 

The only valid criticism raised in your whole comment is

And the indication was they where aware of these issues but could not be bothered as by Linus saying they could not be bothered to reshoot a video and spend $500 to fix a video.

That is a fault, as they should present valid data for the consumer to decide whether the product is worth it, not have Linus give you an opinion. Linus should have listened to his colleague and permitted proper retesting of the product. 

These actions and behaviour are all the hall marks of a corporation that cares more about profits than anything else.

Your actions (Creating an account just as the drama started, naming said account "linustechlies" and screaming at people in reply's) are hallmarks of someone who lives for drama and are better suited for X, rather than coming to a "forum thats only active when there's drama."

Can you please bring up Valid criticism rather than jumping on a drama train that helps absolutely nobody. Some of us want to see LTT improve, rather than Burn as you seem to want.