GN's Goals, Scope, Approach, & Reporting Stances & Policies (NEW video)

1 hour ago, Vilacom said:

Steve very much implying LTT was willfully stealing a product they were always supposed to return from a poor little company trying to keep their feet under them and maliciously selling it off to their competitors under the guise of a charity auction.

That was never the main beef (it just shows how disorganized LMG is), throwing Billet under the bus for LMG not having the right card at hand and then doubling down claiming that a proper review wasn't worth some extra $3-500 when they easily made 5 figures on the video at that point is an issue.

Even more with Linus planning to turn LMG into a top tier consumer watch dog.

I've been a fan of GN for 7+ years, but I think Steve's integrity has taken a hit over this saga and I see him differently now.

Even before this recent drama, I was getting a bit annoyed at how much he attacked other people's copy and marketing for being meaningless and vague given some of his own work. Anyone remember his script for the HYTE sponsorship?

"This video is brought to you by the HYTE Y60 - The HYTE Y60 is one of the most unique cases to launch anytime recently."

Fairly meaningless IMO. How many other cases were released? Does recently mean a week, a month, and only "one of" the most unique cases? So many qualifiers. For all we know, it's the 10th most unique case out of 20 cases to be released in the past year.

I also disliked the self-congratulatory segment regarding their modmat recall a few months back. For me, it was more of a showcase on how well they handled the situation instead of an actual apology. A mistake in a wiring diagram is potentially a serious issue.

I probably wouldn't have given all this stuff a second thought, but Steve has opened the floodgates now and it might come back to bite him. I also wonder if the long awaited 2m sub count will be bitter sweet given it was only obtained through the LTT drama.

Steve should have reached out over the Billet Labs situation and even if he won't publicly admit it, I really hope he knows it. Did Steve know it was a gift originally or that Colton tracked down the buyer, but Billet Labs still just wanted the cash instead of the block?

I am enjoying this. 

so steve makes a video calling other people out linus responds

steve gets called out and responds and then pulls the video when it don't go his way

huh imagine that 

16 minutes ago, Alan999 said:

Steve should have reached out over the Billet Labs situation and even if he won't publicly admit it, I really hope he knows it. Did Steve know it was a gift originally or that Colton tracked down the buyer, but Billet Labs still just wanted the cash instead of the block?

Do you have a source for that? This would be too good to be true 😂

12 minutes ago, Basti0815 said:

Do you have a source for that? This would be too good to be true 😂

I have no proof (since I never contacted either Billet Labs or LMG), but GN not contacted Billet Labs directly before the first video was released, and contacted Billet Labs to make the second video, and still never contacted LMG.

So LMG explained their side of the story in ”What do we do now?”

Edited by merch22
Grammar mistakes

English is not my first language, and grammatical errors do exist.

Recent upgrade:CPU:AMD 5600 out AMD 7600 in, MB:ROG B450-F out MAG X670E TOMAHAWK WIFI in,

Memory:16gX2 3200mhz out 16gX2 Acer Vesta II 6000MHz in,

DESKTOP:

CPU:AMD 7600,GPU:TUF 4090 OG OC,MB:MAG X670E TOMAHAWK WIFI,Memory:16gX2 Acer Vesta II 6000MHz,Storage:2TB sn850+7.68TB CD6+4TB Acer GM7000 with thunderbolt SSD enclosure,

Case:P400A,PSU:Cooler Master V850 Gold V2,CPU cooler:assassin spirit 120,Monitor:MSI MAG274QRF-QD+neo g7+AOC CU34G2XP,

Mouse:G PRO,Keyboard:G915 TKL,

MOBILE:

LAPTOP:thinkbook 14+(7840H+32G ram),Mouse:MX anywhere 2s,4TB GM7000 with thunderbolt SSD enclosure,

IPAD:PRO12.9 (M1+16GB RAM)

PHONE:iphone 14 pro,oppo find N3.DAP:sony zx100, sony zx507.

AUDIO:

wireless:airpods pro2,sony xm4,

wired:jvc fx1100,audio technica IM02,audio technica IM04,sony mdr-1a,

NAS:

CPU:i5 4690,MB:asus z97-k,Memory:8gX2 ddr3,Storage:250GB ssdX2 raid for boot,10X10TB HDD raid z2,HBA card, 2.5g NIC,

41 minutes ago, merch22 said:

but GN not contacted Billet Labs directly before the first video was released

People still can't get the basic facts correct. GN/Steve was in contact with Billet Labs prior to the first video.

I suggest you go watch the original GN again (or perhaps for the first time). 

I lost some respect for GN Steve, though I never was into GN’s long format videos (I just don’t have the time to watch 45+ minute YT videos regularly) I understand there is a market for GN’s kind of videos.

Though there were claims GN levied against LMG that were valid, I felt the tenor of Steve’s videos seemed like them trying to slap at LMG and cause them harm. I’m guessing GN is a bit concerned and upset that LMG is crowding out the audience for other tech YouTubers, like GN, just because of the size of modern LMG, as well as the fact that now LTT Labs is a direct competitor to GN.

I realized GN’s videos against LMG’s practices were not from an impartial journalist (the way Steve wants to portray himself), but of a competitor to LMG who would like to knock LMG down for the benefit of GN. I understand GN competing with LMG, that’s capitalism. But, Steve lobbed all of his angry complaints at LMG which activated the angry hoard on the internet. Then Steve stepped back and watched things burn and LMG staff got unfairly verbally harassed while GN financially gained subscribers and views. This was all while people were praising Steve as having “journalistic integrity.” It all just seemed disingenuous and pedantic.

Of course Steve pulled the newest video because he realized people are onto his game and see GN’s conflicts of interests in the matter. I went ahead and set my YouTube Premium account to not recommend GN’s videos; I don’t need disingenuous and pedantic YouTubers with such an attitude clogging my recommendation feed. I’m happy to continue with Paul’s Hardware, JayzTwoCents and Bitwit along with LMG, etc. for PC focused content.

1 hour ago, Alan999 said:

1 hour ago, merch22 said:

I have no proof (since I never contacted either Billet Labs or LMG), but GN not contacted Billet Labs directly before the first video was released, and contacted Billet Labs to make the second video, and still never contacted LMG.

So LMG explained their side of the story in ”What do we do now?”

15 minutes ago, IKWMTY said:

People still can't get the basic facts correct. GN/Steve was in contact with Billet Labs prior to the first video.

I suggest you go watch the original GN again (or perhaps for the first time). 

Thanks for the reminder, because I don't remember every single word of the video. I have no desire to re-watch it.
As you said, "I still can't get the basic facts correct"

In short, Steve know

Billet Labs initially said LMG did not need to return the block, but requested the return of the block after the LTT video was released, and when Billet Labs saw the block was selled, they refused the offer to re-acquisition of blocks and demanded money for good business reasons.

However, this part is not as important as the part "Linus is a thief, LMG offered to compensate Billet Labs under pressure from someone, and tried to settle out with out good faith and real blocks, but money", so he did not mention it.

English is not my first language, and grammatical errors do exist.

Recent upgrade:CPU:AMD 5600 out AMD 7600 in, MB:ROG B450-F out MAG X670E TOMAHAWK WIFI in,

Memory:16gX2 3200mhz out 16gX2 Acer Vesta II 6000MHz in,

DESKTOP:

CPU:AMD 7600,GPU:TUF 4090 OG OC,MB:MAG X670E TOMAHAWK WIFI,Memory:16gX2 Acer Vesta II 6000MHz,Storage:2TB sn850+7.68TB CD6+4TB Acer GM7000 with thunderbolt SSD enclosure,

Case:P400A,PSU:Cooler Master V850 Gold V2,CPU cooler:assassin spirit 120,Monitor:MSI MAG274QRF-QD+neo g7+AOC CU34G2XP,

Mouse:G PRO,Keyboard:G915 TKL,

MOBILE:

LAPTOP:thinkbook 14+(7840H+32G ram),Mouse:MX anywhere 2s,4TB GM7000 with thunderbolt SSD enclosure,

IPAD:PRO12.9 (M1+16GB RAM)

PHONE:iphone 14 pro,oppo find N3.DAP:sony zx100, sony zx507.

AUDIO:

wireless:airpods pro2,sony xm4,

wired:jvc fx1100,audio technica IM02,audio technica IM04,sony mdr-1a,

NAS:

CPU:i5 4690,MB:asus z97-k,Memory:8gX2 ddr3,Storage:250GB ssdX2 raid for boot,10X10TB HDD raid z2,HBA card, 2.5g NIC,

24 minutes ago, merch22 said:

Thanks for the reminder, because I don't remember every single word of the video. I have no desire to re-watch it.
As you said, "I still can't get the basic facts correct"

Maybe you should refrain from posting about things you don't know until you can confirm them. Seems unethical to post baseless accusations like that.

24 minutes ago, merch22 said:

In short, Steve know

Billet Labs initially said LMG did not need to return the block, but requested the return of the block after the LTT video was released, and when Billet Labs saw the block was selled, they refused the offer to re-acquisition of blocks and demanded money for good business reasons.

However, this part is not as important as the part "Linus is a thief, LMG offered to compensate Billet Labs under pressure from someone, and tried to settle out with out good faith and real blocks, but money", so he did not mention it.

I don't know what you are trying to say here.

5 hours ago, Mr. Rabbit said:

I don't regularly watch GN, because I can see the paint drying up while he talks, and I need more than that when I put a video on background.

But when I need to check a review on something, I will always check his channel to see if they have a video on that, as I will check LTT, Jay, Paul's Hardware, etc.

My problem right now is that he stirred all this drama, painted himself as a paragon of morality and ethics in journalism, and when called on it, his response is to deflect criticism, make up his own rules, and when called on it again, he makes the video private and makes an empty statement about "not reading the room".

Never did he own up to his mistakes, and that makes me sad, because I want them to have quality, as it is good for everyone.

He calls himself an expert in journalism (in his personal Linkedin page), but then proceeds to ignore one of the basic foundations of journalism to stir up drama and take a competitor down a notch.

If this was about the true story, he would've given us both sides.
And when he didn't, he should've apologized for that, instead of doubling down.

And hopefully, LMG can actually fulfil their promises to do better, it would be great for everyone if they can get the Labs running full steam ahead with great precision.

he put a odd title on his twitter page to. its since been change with video going private

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

There's a post on community tab with some motivations.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

This is hilariously stupid. Gamers Nexus took a video down because they weren’t happy with it. They also agreed with peoples comments. 

Basically saying they are going to start holding themselves to the same standards. 

Yet people still want to throw them under the bus. 

That's a legitimate way to define the act.

OTH, however, to critics GN responded removing the... unfitting and not good enough content. On some way, is wasted money. On some other way, is marketing investment.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

Also as good as that techtechpotato video was. He got super super defensive and personal himself when he felt people were questioning someone’s qualifications. 

6 minutes ago, William Payne said:

This is hilariously stupid. Gamers Nexus took a video down because they weren’t happy with it. They also agreed with peoples comments. 

Basically saying they are going to start holding themselves to the same standards. 

Yet people still want to throw them under the bus. 

I mean, if you're gonna throw someone else under a bus, don't be surprised when someone throws you under a bus?

Everyone is entitled to free opinion. Someone add politeness to that, even with the pinch of salt.

3 minutes ago, Harlem_Shaker said:

I mean, if you're gonna throw someone else under a bus, don't be surprised when someone throws you under a bus?

Ok I’ll reword what I meant. Throw gamers nexus under the bus. Fine. If people are doing that for valid reasons that they can point to. That’s fine. Tit for tat. 

But don’t throw someone under the bus for trying to do better. Everyone deserves a second chance. 

This is part of my... pause for criticize some of the things LMG promised to to. I cannot throw stone to a promise still to be unkept... or fulfilled.

Lots of what LMG released was corporate speach, in some way legitimate, in some way carefully weighted for stoploss (if possible).

So with the lot of anti-corporate tyrades mr Sebastian throw left and right... It's like eating own poisoned food.

Anyway.

Different companies and different styles. So I try to enjoy what can be provided by both.

2 minutes ago, mMontana said:

This is part of my... pause for criticize some of the things LMG promised to to. I cannot throw stone to a promise still to be unkept... or fulfilled.

Lots of what LMG released was corporate speach, in some way legitimate, in some way carefully weighted for stoploss (if possible).

So with the lot of anti-corporate tyrades mr Sebastian throw left and right... It's like eating own poisoned food.

Anyway.

Different companies and different styles. So I try to enjoy what can be provided by both.

A corporate company with corporate CEO’s is going to sound very corporate. Linus isn’t running the show anymore. 

As CVO, main host, shareholder...  I'm quite suspendend on how much show mr Sebastian actually runs.

5 minutes ago, mMontana said:

As CVO, main host, shareholder...  I'm quite suspendend on how much show mr Sebastian actually runs.

I love that CVO title. It must be weird when it’s your company, but you aren’t the CEO. 

15 minutes ago, William Payne said:

A corporate company with corporate CEO’s is going to sound very corporate. Linus isn’t running the show anymore. 

He is still running LMG. They hired a CEO for all the business stuff and literally not for decision making in any creative process or in wich direction LMG is going in the future. Like the new CEO can´t just say we are going to shut down the whole MacAdress channel for example. He was hired to get all the non tech,  non creative related business stuff done and take work off of Linus. Not to actually lead the company.

3 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

He is running. They hired a CEO for all the business stuff and literally not for decision making in any creative process or in wich direction LMG is going in the future. Like the new CEO can´t just say we are going to shut down the whole MacAdress channel for example. He was hired to get all the non tech, creative related business stuff done. Not to actually lead the company.

I think you gravely underestimate how much power a CEO has. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if this whole debacle has caused him to take charge of a lot of stuff. Not what a channel does what but definitely what people say. 

4 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

He is still running LMG.

Actually no? At least, as CEO title means.

CEO is the one (lady or gentleman, no matter) who calls most of the shots within the shareholders mandate.

6 hours ago, Basti0815 said:

Yeah, Mr. Perfect has made an error. Something for which he has just massively attacked others.

I guess you didn't watch the video then, where Steve states like 300 times that mistakes happen and they make their share of them too. And you're missing the entire point of what kind of mistakes were made, how often, and what was done (and often not done) to correct them. But hey feel free to keep spreading misinformation.