Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

13 minutes ago, perryckd said:

Steve plays his reputation on being some white knight....his 'expert reviewing ' is nothing that Linus labs can't outdo. 

Well that statement is just dripping with irony....rofl! 

3 minutes ago, Im_a_Rhinoceros said:

Yeah I lost all respect for GN during the ASUS thing. Alamo, GN sold mats with incorrect pin outs on them and didn’t fix the issue properly. LTT fucked up but GN are self-interested hypocrites too.

How did he screw up the Asus thing?

Also with the mod mats, he sent everyone corrected images on cards to reference so they had the correct data and a pin and let everyone know right away when he found the problem.

There was nothing wrong with the mat materially so it wasn't needed to be trashed.

If he took them back, that is what would have needed to happen for a printing error since it can't be done.

9 minutes ago, perryckd said:

just read the room. steve is not dumb to explicitly burn LMG. but as others have noted, guerilla nexus is going on the offensive first because of LMG labs upcoming

Steve plays his reputation on being some white knight and expert reviewer. both which i proved to you all, he is not. his 'expert reviewing ' is nothing that Linus labs can't outdo. You dont need phd masters to prod some measuring points here and there 

While plausible, and DEFINITELY something worth scrutinizing him over, there is no objective proof of his motives. I do not act on speculated intent, no matter how plausible. I will say that if this is Steve's motive then it is absolutely disgusting but until there is actual solid proof that the reason he did this was to sabotage Linus to further his own position I will NOT claim that it is.

It hurts the entire discussion to treat suspicions as fact. Treat them as what they are, suspicions. 

8 minutes ago, Im_a_Rhinoceros said:

No you don’t because those of us that understand business evaluations know that is nowhere near what LTT is worth based on revenue alone.

You really are a rinoceros. In this context, we dont care about the technicalities of business evaluations. He wasnt trying to make a serious point. Its just a fun laugh. Please dont take every post seriously.

I've been around for a long long time. I go back to the heyday NCIX forum days and stayed there until the bitter end - some of you may remember me from there. I had one of the last posts on that forum. lol

When companies get big, there are always those looking to take them down a notch whether it is warranted or not. LMG is getting to be a bigger company both by revenue and staffing size standards. I was thinking to myself not long ago that something like this was inevitable. I thought it might be something Linus says rather than what the company did. I couldn't do what Linus does - one wrong word or phrase and *poof*.....cancelled. I can't live on that razors edge as the anxiety would eat me up.

I hope we are not seeing NCIX all over again here with too much expansion happening too quickly. Last month when Linus said something to the effect that he would rather have a bunch of smaller channels getting lower numbers of views rather than a couple of channels get hundred's of thousands of views, I was thinking no......don't dilute the product. That never seems to work out in the end just like NCIX. I remember talking to Chris at the Coquitlam store a short time before NCIX pulled the plug and he said the stores in Ontario were not doing well and it was dragging the whole company down. And it did.

Of course I am a fan and I will remain so for the time being. I'm not jumping the bandwagon over this. It's only been a little over 24 hours so making up my mind over supporting the channel or not is too soon. I will be watching to see what happens as I don't think this is the end of this saga from a LMG standpoint. There is too much chatter to just wait until it blows over. The next moves need to be extremely well calculated and I don't envy the team on figuring this out. It's not a death knell by any means, but how LMG moves forward needs to be decisive and this is probably is a good turning point for change. Change is not easy, and I have been a change leader at my company for a long time. I've learned to embrace change and not push it away and deny change is unnecessary. Learn from the change experience and grow stronger. This ultimately leads to success.

Just now, Im_a_Rhinoceros said:

You are wrong.

Also, we are talking about 4 days between emails (8/10-8/14) based on the first Billet statement you posted. Two of those days were weekends. That isn’t unreasonable.

If you are going to quote me, quote the entire post. Also, it's not simply 4 days we are talking about here. It was also the entire month of July they wasted instead of sending it back like they said they would, along with give or take 9 weeks of LMG sitting on the block and the 3090 TI before even getting around to doing their coverage of it, per Billets later Reddit post. And when it is all said and done, it was an illegal sale, of a prototype LMG/Linus did not own. Had this been a larger less forgiving company with more legal expenses, Linus/LMG ass would be lit up right now in legal woes.

I mean, you can keep sucking on Linus's dick all day long on this and keep trying to defend them, but that changes nothing and in about 3 pages you are going to be tuned out and forgotten about in this mess. The fact remains, just because you expect GN to base their coverage on this around your expectation of them following SPJ Code of Ethics completely to the letter (when you yourself admitted they are not required to after I pointed it out to you, mind you),  does not mean they have to. And Linus is a known asshole, has been known to be one for some time now, and now has been proven to be a scum bucket liar per his own post here.  And LMG keeps posting shoddy work and demonstrating questionable ethics their-selves. This is why you are finding yourself in the major minority on this matter when trying to defend them, including in this specific tread. But hey, cool, good job there standing on the wrong side of history in the making lol. You are indeed not a rhinoceros. You are fucking clown shoes.

7 minutes ago, Cosmic Emotion said:

Not necessarily but, in any case, I wouldn't want Linus to go away with this kind of shame on him. He has to reply.

That's why I said "likely". 

9 minutes ago, xg32 said:

As for those calling him a manchild, out of touch, then it just gets personal. But can someone look at Linus and look at the work he's done over the past decade and really think he's the corpo bad guy? LMG might be headed down that road, but he's still good in my book, and he can turn this ship around.

Manchildren are grown adults who whine like a petulant child and deflect responsibility when challenged, much like a kid pointing to his little brother when his mom scolds him for breaking the lamp in the living room. 

His response to this thus far is the definition of "manchild"

6 minutes ago, plume said:

that's not what happened. They told him how much that thing costs to make, asked them if he's gonna compensate them and then Linus never replied (until the GN video).  He did not "ask for a quote"

they didn't "tell him" how much it is, he probably didn't even know about the email until after the video dropped, then linus personally emailed them.

I don't know the exact timeline, i'm just saying we don't have enough to say that Linus lied.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

Imagine, LTT is trying to start up a lab and can't even follow basic instructions.

If I was in the lab or any part of LTT, I'd be applying for other jobs ASAP.

6 minutes ago, Albal_156 said:

100% unless LMG also work on weekends. I don't know if Billet Labs also work on weekends as well so they may not have anwered any emails. BUT theres the argment this is a sepcial situation to a companies property going missing. Honestly think LTT should take the video about the block down down so that Billet can start again and get someone to review their product on a clean slate away from a crap video that didn't review it properly. Now that that LMG has confirmed to Billet Labs that the block was bought by a private individual the impact of LTTs fuck-up is lessened due to loss of IP and they should compensate Billet for the amount Billet are happy for them to pay. Sending them the block back is only going to waste time at this point as Billet Labs second response details.

I addressed that. This mess has been going on for months, not 4 days, per what Billet posted. And Linus was ghosting Billet till this story broke, per Billets own words:

7 minutes ago, Heiro said:

I find it interesting/concerning that Linus last visited the forum 11+ hours ago. I know he has a family but if it were me, and my entire community were this concerned about something I had done, I would be reading this as it developed, trying to understand what the mood was and preparing myself to respond.

it seems he has already decided (as per his response) that he’s done no wrong and that the opinions here are not worthy of his time.

perhaps I’m just wired differently and my little company is 1/20th the size of LTT (if that) but if we ever have an issue, my customers are always able to contact us and even if I can’t reply to them each directly, I try to give updates based on the general comments being made. 

They haven't posted a video yet, and it has passed more than 24 hours since the last one, oh boi

2 minutes ago, Heiro said:

I find it interesting/concerning that Linus last visited the forum 11+ hours ago. I know he has a family but if it were me, and my entire community were this concerned about something I had done, I would be reading this as it developed, trying to understand what the mood was and preparing myself to respond.

it seems he has already decided (as per his response) that he’s done no wrong and that the opinions here are not worthy of his time.

perhaps I’m just wired differently and my little company is 1/20th the size of LTT (if that) but if we ever have an issue, my customers are always able to contact us and even if I can’t reply to them each directly, I try to give updates based on the general comments being made. 

Let's be intellectually honest we're all just spitballing as to things but it could be his initial response was impulsive ADHD brain and then he sobered up and went and talked to the new CEO and CEO was like the best thing you can do is stop digging the hole and give me some time to try and figure out if this can be diffused. @Hiero 

8 minutes ago, Heiro said:

I find it interesting/concerning that Linus last visited the forum 11+ hours ago.

A break is probably good, to focus his thoughts. He also possibly set his account to invisible so he doesn't show as online.

1 hour ago, CaptBananaPants said:

I've got to wonder if LTT allowed Billet to comment on the video before sending it live. Or does LTT not need to allow things to cut both ways? Tbh, GN's video could be seen to be a review of LTT as a testing channel so there are parallels. 

Good question. According to GN next response, Billet stated that they wished Linus had asked prior to publishing the video, so that they had had the opportunity to work with them in correcting the issues. So, no, LTT didn't, and the first Billet saw of it was the live video.

I really wish Linus just properly owned up to it. I wish Linus stopped whining, this poor struggling millionaire made a mistake and can’t own up to it. If an email about the billet labs block wasn’t able to get to whom ever curated the auction LMG’s internal structure needs to be seriously reworked. The new CEO needs to draw back the amount of videos being produced or maybe a union is the best idea.

2 minutes ago, Chairman Boofy said:

Manchildren are grown adults who whine like a petulant child and deflect responsibility when challenged, much like a kid pointing to his little brother when his mom asks who broke the lamp in the living room. 

His response to this thus far is the definition of "manchild"

and why does that even matter? no1's perfect, great actors are often assholes, as long as the products good. Calling someone a manchild, out of touch  often misses the point of the original discussion. As far as millionaires go, hes good. 

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

10 minutes ago, xg32 said:

Linus essentially sent billets an email asking for a quote, and "if they are good, i'm good" on the price, i don't know how people can extrapolate a phantom timeline and say linus lied. Some people just wanna watch it all burn. As for Linus' response to this post, yes it is bad, it is also unfiltered, he got burned for transparency.

As for those calling him a manchild, out of touch, then it just gets personal. But can someone look at Linus and look at the work he's done over the past decade and really think he's the corpo bad guy? LMG might be headed down that road, but he's still good in my book, and he can turn this ship around.

My god, people, there is no "phantom timeline". The course of events is clearly laid out in GN's second video. There is no extrapolation or even interpretation needed, things fall into place as they are.

And no, Linus got not "burned for transparency", he burned himself by projecting transparency, while actually covering himself up. His statement does not address most major concerns brought up by GN and gaslights those who read it when it coms to the billet issue. It could not be more obvious. Watch the second GN video - you cannot have done that, otherwise you would not make these statements.

Concerning the rest of it ... well, people are as disappointed as they are, BECAUSE we never viewed @LinusTech as a "bad guy". In this situation he behaved like one, however. This stark contrast is a major reason, people are pissed off.

6 minutes ago, Drazil100 said:

While plausible, and DEFINITELY something worth scrutinizing him over, there is no objective proof of his motives. I do not act on speculated intent, no matter how plausible. I will say that if this is Steve's motive then it is absolutely disgusting but until there is actual solid proof that the reason he did this was to sabotage Linus to further his own position I will NOT claim that it is.

It hurts the entire discussion to treat suspicions as fact. Treat them as what they are, suspicions. 

steve said they were working on this hit job for 6 months.. seriously. ok hit job is mine description but the time taken is his own words..

like come on, you spend time tracking minimal issues and saw an opening with the BL water block, you throw some devious descriptions on your video title, you quickly follow up with another video...

is this the journalist standard we want? LMG had always cross promote other YouTubers, they always open to collaborate. clearly guerilla nexus saw the labs threat, got his ego bruised by Linus jestering about going to outdo them, you don't see the darkside of Steve? 

look, if steve can paint an unfavorable video about LMG with 6 months of tracking, it's fair to take another view of this guy who feeds on jesus little guy status 

12 minutes ago, perryckd said:

exactly! if linus is some scum that guerilla nexus is painting him to be, we can be sure his staffs while have long tweeted about it, you can count on gen-z avocado to seek social justice on twitter or reddit 

GN aren't painting LTT as 'scum'. They've been very critical (and seem to be taking it a bit personally), but they have not used words to that effect or implied that.

Whether I remain a LTT follower or go depends entirely on Linus now. If he accepts full responsibility and does not try to pass the blame, then actually follows up fixing these problems, I am willing to mark this down as growing LMG too fast. However, if he tries to minimize the problems, make excuses or blame someone else then I'm done here. Linus had better be prepared to do a lot of damage control on this weeks Wan Show beginning with starting the show on time. Literally the entire tech world is watching. 

Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you. (Jeremy Clarkson)

7 minutes ago, gregcron said:

What's LTT's annual revenue?

Assuming the graph from WAN in 2020 is still accurate, and being conservative and assuming no growth since 2020 (which obv isn’t true), LTT is making about $70mm in revenue/year. 

I obv haven’t seen the books but forecasting that out over 10 years (assuming perpetuity), anticipating a 10% annualized growth in earnings (based on past growth) and marketability discount of between 20 and 25 percent, LTT is worth about $600mm.

9A9392CB-C3B2-4C32-954C-F8DEA2D13E45.png

2F262A58-DFD9-4928-98A6-5EFE5E8AE3C5.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Heiro said:

That's not how I am reading it. My interpretation is that Linus realized that his responses were DEFINITELY making things worse and that a proper well thought out response was needed. My guess is he is taking his time and meeting with the people in his company to try to figure out what the right path forward is. I also suspect that this won't make it on wan show but that they will make a dedicated video discussing what they plan to do going forward. 

If they don't do this I will be severely disappointed but I suspect the reason they have yet to post a video today is because they are holding all main channel videos until they properly address this (which is the right course of action to take)

28 minutes ago, CantHelpMyself said:

@LinusTechAs a person who is well know for only using 1 screw when it comes to your fans, I think its a critical point for you to make sure it isn't loose. Otherwise.... Y'know, you might lose your fans. Which would be terrible. 

Might even look  like this.

Wow...dang.