Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

5 minutes ago, TexZeTech said:

I flat-out disagree.  If Steve wanted that he wouldn't have said bupkiss about when LMG got their channel hijacked.

wasn't steve the one that texted linus about the hack? They were on decent terms until tim called out GN/HUB imo

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

7 minutes ago, Im_a_Rhinoceros said:

So GN is allowed to send out a card for a physical good that is supposed to function as factual reference and not recall and fix the problem but LTT can’t put asterisks in comments when they find a mistake?

The physical good was perfectly fine. Only the printing on it. Which they provided a corrected reference on it.

This is also a physical good, which again is materially fine, that makes no sense to recall as it would only be trashed and create waste. I think they handled it well.

I am one of a large number of people that listen to the videos and don't watch them. I won't see those asterisks. If they are catching during editing, the can easily do a drop in or get updated audio.  

Just now, seegee said:

What could have been corrected by reaching out?

Fr, what steve claimed is exactly what linus did and he tripled down on the issue in here so it's not like he would've commented any different.

1 minute ago, TexZeTech said:

I meant over the last year or two. 4-6% churn rate wouldn’t be terrible at all for many streaming services but I don’t know historically how Floatplane has done. Obviously, This much churn over 48 hours is higher, but I’d bet this will all die down by next week and they will start recovering. You can’t take this short of a snapshot and take any real statistical data from it is my point I guess.

8 minutes ago, perryckd said:

because steve continue to be a bad actor. all the points raised in his sensationalised video can be addressed to LMG, as collaboraters friends first.

Steve is not a influencer, he's a journalist. Why would you collaborate on a story where he already has solid information with proof to back it up (LTT's own employees saying they feel rushed with their own videos and don't feel exactly proud about them)

Real journalism is corroborating your sources and doing your due diligence, asking for comment is a way to do that but it is not the only way to do it, and its not often done by journalists. 

Linus can get upset, but as long as the information that Gamers Nexus reports serves public interest and is true, who cares? 

LTT has made too many egregious errors that have mislead consumers. Examples were given in the video, with major concerns with the Billet and the Pwnage mouse company. 

2 minutes ago, Mattumanu said:

The levels of Simping on this thread is pitiful. If the situation were reversed and it was LMG calling GN for unethical practices I'd be over there saying "WTF Steve".

As it is, it's Linus under his own half finished bus.

I think we have all seen quality of videos decrease. Steve pointed out blatant errors.

But i have seen many videos missing important context and information to help people deploy.

Like jake installing a video card to put true nas on a box... removing and then using the web interface to access going forward.

Its a terrible idea for an everyday user who may need to troubleshoot issues with device.

A better idea would be buy a processor with onboard video or better yet purchase a serverboard with ipmi.

These weren't even presented as options. Just put in a video card and yank it out after was shown

4 minutes ago, bandainamcofan said:

He's explicitly said when it concerns consumers, as this does, he will treat LMG as he would anyone else. He's not obligated to reach for comment and he himself argues to do so for Linus to "soften the blow" would be against his standards to his audience. 

The is no legal obligation but ethically he should have. It’s why every story of allegations in any real media either contains a response from the subject or says ‘X could not be immediately reached for comment”

2 minutes ago, Texbobcat said:

Fr, what steve claimed is exactly what linus did and he tripled down on the issue in here so it's not like he would've commented any different.

He could stress out that it was AUCTIONED, not SOLD which obviously and clearly makes a world of difference XD

2 minutes ago, Lapsio said:

He could stress out that it was AUCTIONED, not SOLD which obviously and clearly makes a world of difference XD

It does! It drags an innocent 3rd party into this 😛

Just now, Lapsio said:

but, but, it was for charity. That clearly absolves linus of all sin and means that he is the second coming of christ right?

1 hour ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I can say that I've never found Steve boring. 

Personal taste. He's droning on too much and essentially is just a bloke in front of a camera. LTT production quality is on a different level - as is the diversity of their topics. Which is why I keep watching them despite barely being able to stand Linus at this point.

4 minutes ago, JustWinz said:

Steve is not a influencer, he's a journalist. Why would you collaborate on a story where he already has solid information with proof to back it up (his own employees saying they feel rushed with their own videos and don't feel exactly proud about them)

Real journalism is corroborating your sources and doing your due diligence, asking for comment is a way to do that but it is not the only way to do it, and its not often done by journalists. 

Linus can get upset, but as long as the information that Gamers Nexus reports serves public interest and is true, who cares? 

Steve is a YouTube content creator. He is not a journalist.

He did not go to journalism school, at least based on his Linkedin profile, GN doesn’t employ an Ombudsman and doesn’t appear to be a member of any journalistic organizations. 

14 minutes ago, perryckd said:

steve said they were working on this hit job for 6 months.. seriously. ok hit job is mine description but the time taken is his own words..

like come on, you spend time tracking minimal issues and saw an opening with the BL water block, you throw some devious descriptions on your video title, you quickly follow up with another video...

is this the journalist standard we want? LMG had always cross promote other YouTubers, they always open to collaborate. clearly guerilla nexus saw the labs threat, got his ego bruised by Linus jestering about going to outdo them, you don't see the darkside of Steve? 

I am not sure how you can go on about "journalist standard" and at the same time paint the amount of time taken for the video in question as a negative thing.

If you're in Steve's position and get the feeling that there is something wrong, the CORRECT thing to do is to track it for the time being and see if you're actually right. By your logic you'd rather have seen a video thrown together quickly and put out there without due dilligence. Please tell me that you see the self-contradictory nature of what you are saying.

Also, how is an openness to collaboration and cross promotion at all relevant to the issues at hand? The rest of it is mere speculation, of which there is actually no proof - in contrast to the stuff brought up in GN's piece.

14 minutes ago, perryckd said:

look, if steve can paint an unfavorable video about LMG with 6 months of tracking, it's fair to take another view of this guy who feeds on jesus little guy status 

I am sure nobody will deny you the right and / or opportunity to do just that. Of course, everybody is fair game in that regard. This is not what the topic of discussion is, however. LTT's issues were pointed out - and regardless of issues GN itself may have, they are not suitable as a counter argument. What you are attempting is an ad hominem argument - there is no substance to this line of thinking.

1 minute ago, Im_a_Rhinoceros said:

The is no legal obligation but ethically he should have.

Incorrect. He has not acted unethically in this instance. 

Just now, Im_a_Rhinoceros said:

He did not go to journalism school, at least based on his Linkedin profile, GN doesn’t employ an Ombudsman and doesn’t appear to be a member of any journalistic organizations. 

What content does Steve create on youtube? You are being pedantic just like Linus when he said "I auctioned it not sold it"

2 minutes ago, Lapsio said:

The difference is that Linus and the company didn’t get the money for it. It was the absolute buffoonery that LMG let it be auctioned off that made people angry. If LMG directly profited off of that, people would go insane.

13 minutes ago, perryckd said:

because steve continue to be a bad actor. all the points raised in his sensationalised video can be addressed to LMG, as collaboraters friends first. and all the points are minor oversight 

Even after this "hit piece",  their very next video had many mistakes in it. If that extremely damaging video wasn't enough to make them rethink their process, do you really think an email would have fixed things?  I get your point of view, but I do not believe we would have any chance of seeing them stop putting out misleading garbage data unless someone puts a fire under their ass. They have the right tools and the expertise to do it right but they don't because they don't feel like they have to and they assume no one will care that much. GN might be doing them a favor by pulling the band aid now before they invest even more on the Lab, hire more staff, and commit to even more videos per week. It's better to slow down and figure things out early before they accumulate an even more expensive payroll.  

2 hours ago, PlankAndBarrel said:

No. Again, not guilt by association... conflict of interest. They are not equivalent.

Why do you keep replying to comments that are not aimed at you? I was responding to the guy who said they were the same thing. He literally stated they are.

2 minutes ago, Im_a_Rhinoceros said:

Who gave you the right to decide who is or is not a journalist. In this new age of media, journalism degrees are basically irrelevant.

2 hours ago, LinusAuctionTips said:

No, its because those of us who understand ethics and how ethics investigations are conducted know that appearances matter. If an attorney is accused of an ethics violation, even if the conclusion is that nothing wrong occurred, the attorney is still going to get a slap on the wrist for appearing shady.

You're comparing legal profession to reviewing computers on Youtube? Nice.

22 minutes ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

From 41257 -> 38469 = -6.7%. Sad to see.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

2 minutes ago, tech.guru said:

I think we have all seen quality of videos decrease. Steve pointed out blatant errors.

But i have seen many videos missing important context and information to help people deploy.

Like jake installing a video card to put true nas on a box... removing and then using the web interface to access going forward.

Its a terrible idea for an everyday user who may need to troubleshoot issues with device.

A better idea would be buy a processor with onboard video or better yet purchase a serverboard with ipmi.

These weren't even presented as options. Just put in a video card and yank it out after was shown

Then a year later surprise jake deploys another nas and linus joke how hard it is to support and troubleshoot since it has no video cards. He than jokes no worries this one has ipmi.

Its like they are taking you for a ride on deploying something the wrong way taking shortcut getting burnt and deploying it different and having a big joke.

Well some people may have listened to first video bought a consumer board and processor with no on board video.

Not everyone can go out and buy a server/workstation board after the fact.

Im sure the video with building truenas where he actually presents the wonderful idea of yanking the card afterwards is still up collecting money