Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

1 minute ago, bandainamcofan said:

LTT auctioned the block. Competitors were in attendance. Competitors could have possibly bought the block. 

Nevermind the fact it wasn't even their property in the first place to sell. More and more deflection from the real issue at hand.

Deflection?  I'll easily admit that LMG was wrong in this fiasco.  I'll admit that they screwed up the test, never should have crapped on Billet when they tested the prototype incorrectly, should have re-done the test on the 3090 instead of the 4090, sent the prototype and GPU back when asked, and DEFINTELY never should have sold/auctioned a prototype that was not theirs to sell.

Are we done with the "deflection" bs ?  Because I'm ready to admit that LMG was totally wrong in this.  That doesn't mean Steve's hands are clean, so can we go back to the original point ?

• The Code makes clear in Clause 1 (Accuracy) that the press must take care not to publish inaccurate, misleading or distorted information or images, including headlines not supported by the text. This means that sometimes it might be necessary to contact an individual to ensure care is taken over the accuracy of what is published.

The link you posted, clearly states that accuracy is of the utmost importance.  To ensure accuracy, you should contact the subject of  your reporting.  To throw out a random claim that the block may have been purchased by a competitor, without actually doing ANYTHING to determine whether or not your claim is true, is irresponsible.  That is from your source.  I've admitted that LMG screwed up big time.  Can you not admit that making guesses without attempts to verify the veracity of your claims is irresponsible ?

To the people saying that LMG should buy back the waterblock - apparently they lost the contact info of ALL the auction participants and now they're trying to track them down: 

I guess they lost it just like they lost the original 3090 Ti that Billet Labs sent them

1 minute ago, Amaninacity said:

The cooling block is being tested for its ability to cool the card. You need that particular test on a card the manufacturer never had. You wouldn’t test a cpu cooling block on a cpu the manufacturer supplied.

The block wasn't even for the 4090 but a 3090 ti. Which they did send.

Even if the card was a golden sample, it isn't going to run any cooler than any other do the way gpu boost works. 

And if they did something to gimp the card, they should easily be able to see that in performance numbers. 

Even if you don't want to use their card, you get one of the same model instead of running it on one they told you they haven't told you it is compatible with. 

If I was Billet labs, I would be very upset with them. 

2 minutes ago, Im_a_Rhinoceros said:

You are wrong.

Also, we are talking about 4 days between emails (8/10-8/14) based on the first Billet statement you posted. Two of those days were weekends. That isn’t unreasonable.

typical guerilla steve modus operandi, hit time pressure because not everyone runs a small setup as his. applying his own standards on others when it's advantageous. 

yet he cowardly avoided his mistakes after calling out asus

16 minutes ago, Empyreal said:

Most people here sidetracking about Steve's journalist integrity as though that's going to invalidate factual errors found in LTT's review data, and mishandling of Billet Labs. Of course, not discounting the pwnage mouse fiasco.

Also, there wasn't any agreement to pay for the missing waterblock until GN posted the video. I don't know what blinded rabid LTT fangirls are on about here.

This whole revelation makes the following statement by Linus a very scummy attempt at misdirecting readers to think that LTT and BL have come to a settlement before GN posted the video, and that if Steve approached him first, there wouldn't be any "misunderstanding".

Damn...Billet sent them a card to test it on? A 3090 speced to fit it? And @LinusTech still stuck his head up his @ss and put it on a 4090???

27 minutes ago, dadasmithywinkle said:

It's been a few years since I've been logged into the forum but I still follow along with the videos - mainly WAN. 

If all that was put out is true, and it appears to be, it's extremely disappointing. The hasty response from Linus is also incredibly disappointing.

It would be nice to see the new CEO step up and attempt to rectify the issues currently plaguing LTT; maybe all y'all really need is to slow down to speed up. 

I know I didn't have much to say - most of it has been said by others - but it's a bummer to see what is currently transpiring. Fingers crossed that this leads to actual improvements in the future. 

Cheers!

2 minutes ago, Cosmic Emotion said:

His history is not questioned. His future is. Has he done a great job so far? Mostly. This needs to be resolved, somehow, though.

No argument there. Sacrificing Linus to the ancient god of Make This Problem Go Away though isn't the solution. So much of LMG is wrapped around Linus. He is the face of the company, no other host comes close. If he goes the company likely goes with him.

4 minutes ago, Im_a_Rhinoceros said:

You are wrong.

Also, we are talking about 4 days between emails (8/10-8/14) based on the first Billet statement you posted. Two of those days were weekends. That isn’t unreasonable.

Bro, give it up. "We accidently sold a R&D cooler worth a lot of money in the charity auction after we said we'd return it" is Escalate to the Top on the Weekend material. Ignoring the fact Billet responded on a Thursday.  It wasn't a problem Linus should have had to take care of. That Billet had to go through GN to get any response truly is an issue.

4 minutes ago, perryckd said:

typical guerilla steve modus operandi, hit time pressure because not everyone runs a small setup as his. applying his own standards on others when it's advantageous. 

yet he cowardly avoided his mistakes after calling out asus

Yeah I lost all respect for GN during the ASUS thing. Also, GN sold mats with incorrect pin outs on them and didn’t fix the issue properly. LTT fucked up but GN are self-interested hypocrites too.

15 minutes ago, Hobbit said:

100% the current ceo is shitting himself and probably told linus to keep it quiet and decide what to talk about/not talk about. Despite what he said he'll end up talking at least a little bit about this "drama" on WAN. Idc what anyone says, shill or not this response was just terrible and let on more than it should've. If he didn't say anything about the auction GN probably wouldn't even have done an update on the situation. 

Even if i agree on a lot of stuff with GN, all of this shouldn't be pointed at Linus. He clearly has been told too much BS from his team or he wouldn't be so confident talking publicly about easy to prove lies. (benchmarks being re-done for older stuff, the sum agreed on for Billet labs compensation) 

I know haters will say i'm just shilling for linus on this but let's be honest, there is NO WAY you'd lie about something GN can prove wrong with 1 email. I have been here way too long to hate on Linus as a person, he has proven way too many time that he's a nice guy so i can't point any malice at him. Ingenuity? maybe

Linus essentially sent billets an email asking for a quote, and "if they are good, i'm good" on the price, i don't know how people can extrapolate a phantom timeline and say linus lied. Some people just wanna watch it all burn. As for Linus' response to this post, yes it is bad, it is also unfiltered, he got burned for transparency.

As for those calling him a manchild, out of touch, then it just gets personal. But can someone look at Linus and look at the work he's done over the past decade and really think he's the corpo bad guy? LMG might be headed down that road, but he's still good in my book, and he can turn this ship around.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

6 minutes ago, Im_a_Rhinoceros said:

You are wrong.

After two months of "we are going to send it back"... 

Just now, Drazil100 said:

No argument there. Sacrificing Linus to the ancient god of Make This Problem Go Away though isn't the solution. So much of LMG is wrapped around Linus. He is the face of the company, no other host comes close. If he goes the company likely goes with him.

Not necessarily but, in any case, I wouldn't want Linus to go away with this kind of shame on him. He has to reply.

CPU: 7900X

GPU: 7900XTX

RAM: 32 GBs DDR5

Just now, pologoalie8908 said:

Damn...Billet sent them a card to test it on? A 3090 speced to fit it? And @LinusTech still stuck his head up his @ss and put it on a 4090???

As I understand it Logistics straight up LOST the correct card and LTT ONLY found it fairly recently. I believe Linus made a post about that here on the forum for those wanting to validate that. @pologoalie8908

2 minutes ago, pologoalie8908 said:

Apparently, they lost the 3090 Ti that Billet sent to them.

4 minutes ago, soysauceonrice said:

This means that sometimes it might be necessary to contact an individual to ensure care is taken over the accuracy of what is published.

Highlighting the relevant word. He reported the auction and the possibility of a competitor buying it. The link also explicitly states it is not a requirement to contact. Steve made no ethical mistakes.

6 minutes ago, Im_a_Rhinoceros said:

No you don’t because those of us that understand business evaluations know that is nowhere near what LTT is worth based on revenue alone.

What's LTT's annual revenue?

8 minutes ago, Amaninacity said:

The cooling block is being tested for its ability to cool the card. You need that particular test on a card the manufacturer never had. You wouldn’t test a cpu cooling block on a cpu the manufacturer supplied.

Ok, if we get past that...

Would you test a cooler designed for am5 ryzen on a threadripper sp3? No. You use the correct parts. Linus couldn'even do that. They knew that it was a 3090ti block, but chose to use a 4090. He has done enough watercooling to know that cards and heat generating parts of cards change from generation to generation AS WELL as mfg to mfg. The second he saw that the card was a 4090, he should have stopped.

@LinusTech as a dedicated fan that went so far was to attend WhaleLAN at LTX 2023 at significant expense and was genuinely excited and happy to have met both you and @Luke organically at the LAN, I am heartbroken by your response here.

Regardless of any shortcomings in GN's reporting, the points raised are valid and the situation with the BilletLabs prototype should be mortifying, no matter where the money went. LMG basically engaged in theft after the process and quality issues had already compounded to cause the product to be shown in a negative light. The "Trust Me Bro" response to this is: We're horrified. We're conducting an internal investigation. We are requesting the purchaser return the stolen prototype for a full refund plus compensation. We will return the prototype plus compensation to BilletLabs. We will still donate the auctioned sum. There will be disciplinary action taken within LMG.

Also, I have to wonder why on earth you posted anything so soon. You could have waited until WAN show to have a more measured response. Did you not consult with Terren and others before posting this? What is the point of a separate CEO if not to slow your roll and think before reacting? I think a long, hard look in the mirror is needed.

Again, I'm devastated and, for now, unsubscribed. I guess you've got until my next Floatplane billing cycle to make this right.

6 minutes ago, Fart Champion said:

Is this anyone elses first time feeling disappointed by Linus?

All he had to do was accept that there's too many mistakes for wanting to be taken seriously in the product data field. And repeat his feelings on the framework investment.

But no.........

Big sad

Ive felt mildly dissapointed sometimes when the video is about something i know alot about and he only adequately covers it, but i always move on and forget.

This is the first time ive felt not just dissapointed, deeply dissapointed.

9 minutes ago, Im_a_Rhinoceros said:

Again, this doesn’t invalidate all criticism of LTT and they (and Linus in particular) certainly deserve criticism for decisions made, but it is just untruthful to claim that GN are either investigative journalists or that they don’t have a significant competitive incentive to shit on LTT.

I’m still operating under the assumption that Steve considered the “what makes us different than GN” clip the incentive to shit on LTT. In his shoes I’d probably take it personal too. 

38 minutes ago, Im_a_Rhinoceros said:

You are wrong.

100% unless LMG also work on weekends. I don't know if Billet Labs also work on weekends as well so they may not have anwered any emails. BUT theres the argument this is a special situation to a companies property going missing. Honestly think LTT should take the video about the block down down so that Billet can start again and get someone to review their product on a clean slate away from a crap video that didn't review it properly. Now that that LMG has confirmed to Billet Labs that the block was bought by a private individual the impact of LTTs fuck-up is lessened due to loss of IP and they should compensate Billet for the amount Billet are happy for them to pay. Sending them the block back is only going to waste time at this point as Billet Labs second response details.

My Rigs | CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X | Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi | CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 | GPU: AMD Radeon Powercolor 7800XT Hellhound | RAM: 32GB of G.Skill Trident Z Neo @3600MHz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W G+ | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C TG | SSDs: WD BLACK SN850X 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | SSHD: Seagate FireCuda 2TB (Backup) | HDD: Seagate IronWolf 4TB (Backup of Other PCs) | Capture Card: AVerMedia Live Gamer HD 2 | Monitors: AOC G2590PX & Acer XV272U Pbmiiprzx | UPS: APC BR1500GI Back-UPS Pro | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Chroma V2 | Mouse: Razer Naga Pro | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

First System: Dell Dimension E521 with AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+, 3GB DDR2 RAM

PSU Tier List          AMD Motherboard Tier List          SSD Tier List

2 minutes ago, xg32 said:

Linus essentially sent billets an email asking for a quote, and "if they are good, i'm good" on the price, i don't know how people can extrapolate a phantom timeline and say linus lied. Some people just wanna watch it all burn. As for Linus' response to this post, yes it is bad, it is also unfiltered, he got burned for transparency.

As for those calling him a manchild, out of touch, then it just gets personal. But can someone look at Linus and look at the work he's done over the past decade and really think he's the corpo bad guy? LMG might be headed down that road, but he's still good in my book, and he can turn this ship around.

exactly! if linus is some scum that guerilla nexus is painting him to be, we can be sure his staffs while have long tweeted about it, you can count on gen-z avocado to seek social justice on twitter or reddit 

1 minute ago, xg32 said:

that's not what happened. They told him how much that thing costs to make, asked them if he's gonna compensate them and then Linus never replied (until the GN video).  He did not "ask for a quote"