Sony has announced “Project Q”, a handheld accessory to the PS5.

Summary

Sony has confirmed a handheld accessory for the PlayStation 5 named (for the moment) “Project Q” at the PlayStation Showcase.

Quotes

Sony has officially confirmed it’s working on a PlayStation handheld to make it easier to play your PS5 games. It was announced at Wednesday’s PlayStation Showcase and is called Project Q.

My thoughts

Why does it have to be streamed!!!!

We could’ve finally had a competitor to the Switch, but of course they are going for the streaming aspect. Haven’t we learned from Stadia? Now, I know those are 2 completely different things, but it’s still streamed games. It will be better because it’s only 30 feet away instead of 300 miles away. I think streaming games is pointless. You can tell me how good streaming games really is, but you need a good argument to change my mind.

I also know that someone will switch me into thinking streaming is a good idea. But I’ll try to keep my opinion safe.

Sources

the verge

twitter

how are you doing today

42 minutes ago, ebprince the computer nerd said:

It will be better because it’s only 30 feet away instead of 300 miles away

Local streaming have proven itself to be an amazing thing, and people have paid devices for that purpose only. Steam Link, Nvidia Shield lineup, you name it. The issue is that just like Steam Link, its paperweight without its main device.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

I'm not really a big PlayStation person but they seem to have a remote play feature to stream to iPhones and iPads, why would you bother with this device when you can just do that?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

1 hour ago, Shreyas1 said:

I'm not really a big PlayStation person but they seem to have a remote play feature to stream to iPhones and iPads, why would you bother with this device when you can just do that?

The PS5's new haptics in their controllers. Some games don't function too well without them. Though this is really more of a "put it by your bed and play a game there" device, I'd imagine.

They should just make a Playstation Xperia and call it a day.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

20 hours ago, ebprince the computer nerd said:

We could’ve finally had a competitor to the Switch, but of course they are going for the streaming aspect.

There are competitors to the Switch but at the same time there aren't. There are similar devices, such as the Steam Deck or Asus ROG Ally, but no one can really compete with the switch because most of it's games are exclusive to Nintendo and it's console.

20 hours ago, ebprince the computer nerd said:

Haven’t we learned from Stadia? Now, I know those are 2 completely different things, but it’s still streamed games. It will be better because it’s only 30 feet away instead of 300 miles away. I think streaming games is pointless. You can tell me how good streaming games really is, but you need a good argument to change my mind.

Streaming services like Stadia work in a completely different way. This is basically the same as the Nvidia Shield, using your own PS5 to render the games, not some server in a data center. And it's timing is great, as Nvidia decided to abandon their product. Especially in-home this kind of streaming works great. The extra bit of latency and loss of image quality isn't really that noticeable on a device such as this.

But overall i found the Playstation presentation was a bit of a nothing burger. Nothing they announced was particularly interesting to me. (Not that i have a PS5, but some of their games are PC aswell) I was mostly hoping for a Bloodbourne remake or sequel announcement but was ultimately left disappointed once again.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

59 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

but no one can really compete with the switch because most of it's games are exclusive to Nintendo and it's console.

That's literally untrue. Why do so many people keep forgetting that the Switch gets a ton of ports of multiplatform titles? Oh yeah, you'd never wanna play those games on that hardware to begin with. And that's why the Switch needs beefier competition.

Anyway, this is Sony basically announcing that Remote Play still exists.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

1 minute ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

That's literally untrue. Why do so many people keep forgetting that the Switch gets a ton of ports of multiplatform titles? Oh yeah, you'd never wanna play those games on that hardware to begin with. And that's why the Switch needs beefier competition.

So it's true either way? Either you want to play Nintendo games, in which case you'd need a Switch or you want to play other games, in which games you don't want to play them on a Switch.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

So it's true either way? Either you want to play Nintendo games, in which case you'd need a Switch or you want to play other games, in which games you don't want to play them on a Switch.

Not if you want to play them on the go. You know, the whole point behind the Switch, Steam Deck and ROG Ally. 

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

19 minutes ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

Not if you want to play them on the go. You know, the whole point behind the Switch, Steam Deck and ROG Ally. 

I didn't specify, but when looking at the topic at hand i thought that was obvious. 

I'm pretty sure my XZ1 already had PS4 remote play and supported the DS4 controller, and I bought that like 5 years ago, so i would assume their new phones would support the Dualsense controller, but maybe I'm wrong.

I guess that if they sell this for something like $100 it might be a nice accessory for PS5 owners, for more than that I don't see why someone would get it over a android tablet or Steam Deck and just use remote play on those devices.

I kinda get it, it is for people with a PS5 who don't want to play it at the PS5. Likely set up on a main TV for example, you could move around. It isn't for me, as I can't deal with tiny screens like this. How big is that screen? 8" class? For a similar reason I haven't seriously considered either Steam Deck or Ally, although I can see they have a purpose.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

So basically this is to the Wii U GamePad as what the PlayStation Move was to the Wii Remote. Sony "innovates" by copying Nintendo's homework.

But honestly, if it means second-screen functionality makes a comeback and the Wii U finally gets the respect it deserves if only in hindsight, I'll take it.

OWNED CONSOLES [ INTV | NES | SNES | GG | N64 | GBCPS1 | GCN | GBA/GBA SPDC | PS2 | Wii | DS Lite/DSi | Wii U | 3DS/XL/nXL | Switch ] PLANNED ( XSX | Amico ) TV: E420VL + CT-26WX15N

GAMING PC/WORKSTATION [ Aether Case: FD Focus G Mini | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3950X (16c32t @3.5GHz) | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3600MHz | Mobo: Aorus X570 mITX | PSU: SSR-600TL

OS: Win10 Pro | SSD: WD SN750 1TB NVMe | HDD: 4TB WD Black | KB/M: Dell Multimedia USB Hub Keyboard (SK-8135) + Logitech G903 HERO | Display: ASUS VE248H + Dell E177FP | Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB Wireless

HTPC/HOME SERVER [ Phazon Case: Antec 900 Two | CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black (4c4t @3.67GHz) | GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB | RAM: 12GB (2x4GB+2x2GB) DDR3 @1400MHz | Mobo: MSI 870A-G54 | PSU: SSR-450PL

OS: Win10 Pro | SSD: Crucial 240GB SATA | HDD: 8TB HGST Ultrastar + 750GB WD Caviar Green + 200 GB Seagate | KB/M: Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000

This device is a failure right out of the gate.

It needs to be its own system, not an overpriced accessory for remote play. 

It's sad, this could've been a great product if Sony sold it with a 5G modem, and allowed it to stream games independently from a PS5.

Will it cost as much as the Logitech one

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

17 hours ago, ebprince the computer nerd said:

Summary

Sony has confirmed a handheld accessory for the PlayStation 5 named (for the moment) “Project Q” at the PlayStation Showcase.

Quotes

My thoughts

We could’ve finally had a competitor to the Switch, but of course they are going for the streaming aspect. Haven’t we learned from Stadia? Now, I know those are 2 completely different things, but it’s still streamed games. It will be better because it’s only 30 feet away instead of 300 miles away. I think streaming games is pointless. You can tell me how good streaming games really is, but you need a good argument to change my mind.

I also know that someone will switch me into thinking streaming is a good idea. But I’ll try to keep my opinion safe.

Sources

the verge

twitter

I feel like you don't understand the main reasons for why stadia died if you think this is anywhere near similar. The issue with stadia was that you had to buy games specifically for stadia which alot of people didn't want to do and would rather be able to play their own existing library of games. For this you can play all of the existing playstation games you have and you can still play those games normally on your playstation. Next issue was due to latency which again is largely a non issue with something that is local vs what you get when you need to connect to a server. Honestly if stadia did not have these two issues it likely would have done way better. Also their advertising was horrible if you have ever gone back to look at one. They basically don't even tell you what the product is in their ad. Its a bunch of fancy philosophical words combined together that make very little sense and do nothing to let us know what they are actually selling. 

19 hours ago, ebprince the computer nerd said:

Comparing a device like this PlayStation accessory to an actual game streaming service like Stadia is terribly misguided. Local game streaming can be excellent. Linus has talked about how LMG uses (used? not sure if they still use it) Parsec for working remotely, and I'm personally a paying customer for Parsec. Streaming games locally on a single Wi-Fi network can be very playable, and even on my network that uses a router and AP from 2013 the experience is more than good enough to play games around the house. 

Services like Stadia are similar, but they're also completely different. They're not keeping the whole host-client setup within your house like this PlayStation accessory does, which means they have much higher latency and more potential for issues with internet connectivity.

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

2 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

I feel like you don't understand the main reasons for why stadia died if you think this is anywhere near similar. The issue with stadia was that you had to buy games specifically for stadia which alot of people didn't want to do and would rather be able to play their own existing library of games. For this you can play all of the existing playstation games you have and you can still play those games normally on your playstation. Next issue was due to latency which again is largely a non issue with something that is local vs what you get when you need to connect to a server. Honestly if stadia did not have these two issues it likely would have done way better. Also their advertising was horrible if you have ever gone back to look at one. They basically don't even tell you what the product is in their ad. Its a bunch of fancy philosophical words combined together that make very little sense and do nothing to let us know what they are actually selling. 

I didn’t realize games with Stadia could ONLY be played with Stadia. Well, looks like I was in the wrong.

how are you doing today

Man, people made fun of the wiiu for its gamepad.... now other companies are doing it.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

21 hours ago, ebprince the computer nerd said:

Summary

Quotes

My thoughts

Sources

the verge

twitter

Sony re-invented the Wii U. Okay.

On 5/25/2023 at 6:10 PM, Arika S said:

Man, people made fun of the wiiu for its gamepad.... now other companies are doing it.

I always thought that was a travesty, the Wii U GamePad being seen as a punchline rather than an ideal. The GamePad wasn't perfect, but it remains my favorite traditional-style controller. It had practically everything you could want: alongside a full dual-analog layout with the requisite clicky sticks and double-ranked shoulder buttons, it had a touchscreen (with stylus), a microphone, motion controls, a camera, and even a sensor bar of its own to work in tandem with the Wiimote. It also had that mounting bracket on the back as well as a bottom EXT port, though sadly neither of those were used for anything. I also thought it was comfy as hell and it was surprisingly lightweight for its size. People claim it was bulky, but it really wasn't. Plus keeping your hands further apart is far more ergonomic than usual game controllers.

The only absolute necessities I thought the GamePad was missing was analog triggers, while anything else you could have thrown in would have just been nice-to-haves: pressure-sensitive buttons (a la DualShock2/3), grip buttons (which weren't common until the Xbox Elite Controller), a Capture button (likewise the DualShock4), GameCube-style dual-stage triggers, multitouch, or a kickstand. But I thought it was a great foundation to build upon and while the Switch sort of carried a few of its traits forward, it was also a step back in several ways feature-wise, to say nothing of the issues of the Joy-Con hardware themselves. I'd say the closest thing that's come to a true Wii U GamePad successor in functionality is the Steam Deck, but that again has the same trait as the Switch of being a self-contained system rather than something that works in tandem with a larger screen, which means we lose out on all the multi-screen potential that the Wii U had.

Also the Steam Deck's ABXY is all wrong.

El7CU-sXIAEq_oB?format=png&name=small

OWNED CONSOLES [ INTV | NES | SNES | GG | N64 | GBCPS1 | GCN | GBA/GBA SPDC | PS2 | Wii | DS Lite/DSi | Wii U | 3DS/XL/nXL | Switch ] PLANNED ( XSX | Amico ) TV: E420VL + CT-26WX15N

GAMING PC/WORKSTATION [ Aether Case: FD Focus G Mini | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3950X (16c32t @3.5GHz) | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3600MHz | Mobo: Aorus X570 mITX | PSU: SSR-600TL

OS: Win10 Pro | SSD: WD SN750 1TB NVMe | HDD: 4TB WD Black | KB/M: Dell Multimedia USB Hub Keyboard (SK-8135) + Logitech G903 HERO | Display: ASUS VE248H + Dell E177FP | Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB Wireless

HTPC/HOME SERVER [ Phazon Case: Antec 900 Two | CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black (4c4t @3.67GHz) | GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB | RAM: 12GB (2x4GB+2x2GB) DDR3 @1400MHz | Mobo: MSI 870A-G54 | PSU: SSR-450PL

OS: Win10 Pro | SSD: Crucial 240GB SATA | HDD: 8TB HGST Ultrastar + 750GB WD Caviar Green + 200 GB Seagate | KB/M: Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000

On 5/24/2023 at 11:34 PM, Taf the Ghost said:

The PS5's new haptics in their controllers. Some games don't function too well without them. Though this is really more of a "put it by your bed and play a game there" device, I'd imagine.

Could you not just use the ps5 controller that you already have with your phone? I guarantee I've seen cheap phone holders that clip onto controllers too.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

I guess the big question I have is Ryujinx PS5 version next? It has the cpu/gpu power, programming will be an epic pain if not impossible but a screen that size with solid control inputs would make the PS5 attractive when you could play switch and PS5 games.

Seems like the only way to get back at the monopolies and walled gardens.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

On 5/26/2023 at 3:45 PM, VinLAURiA said:

Also the Steam Deck's ABXY is all wrong.

I wish all controllers were compatible but for obvious reasons it isn't happening. At least, make it easier to configure?

Nintendo are the odd one out compared to XB and PS in terms of function. XB/PS have the action button at bottom and cancel on right. I assume the Deck follows XB style. Switch has that swapped, which makes it annoying to switch between the two. And even though the function matches between PS and XB, they have to be mapped differently to Windows.

PS didn't even agree with itself in PS2 era. Western PS2s use X as action and O as cancel. JP ones reversed that, matching the Nintendo layout. I don't know if it has changed but I think I read somewhere they standardised on western layout worldwide now.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible