I'm Stepping Down..

James

Not entirely sure why they had to settle in a made up title of Chief Vision Officer as a new role for Linus (unless it's not made up, just rarely used). They should have just had his title spit up into, Chief Creative Officer and Owner OR just Owner.

Now every time he states he's CVO, he's gonna have to do a lot of explaining. 

But anyway, I'm glad he's decided to delegate away some of his responsibilities. You can see that as the company grew he had to take more on his shoulders and the fact that he recognised that is good. He could have gone on without thinking about it at all and burnt himself out. 

As long as he can still make the big company decisions that have people hooked to the channels and still be able to be the creative person in front of and behind the camera (that again have people hooked to the channels), then I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next.

Also I agree with the not taking of $100 mil. He said it in the video. How much money do you really need before it's just pointless? Good on ya mate! 👍 

So this video is obviously Linus being Linus and being upfront with us all. As he said in the video terren has been at the company and basically doing the CEO job for an undisclosed amount of time now to make sure he is up to the task and fits in well with everyone. Obviously not taking the complete role yet but also as mentioned that will be taking place in the upcoming weeks.

Whoever is saying it will ruin the company or change the feel of the lmg we have all come to love must either have not being paying much attention to latest uploads or he basically fits in perfectly and nothing is noticably changed because of just how well he has taken the role.

This will give Linus some freedom with his family and vacations that I'm sure is. Something he will be surely looking forward to and then once he gets bored and wants back in the action we will see more Linus on screen and more crazy ideas behind the scenes better planning and less unorganized videos. I have noticed the last year that the video ideas and implementation and everything has been very unorganized with Linus showing up with no information and disappearing midway to him basically coming over at the end giving us his 2cents and leaving. 

9 hours ago, bashguy said:

and this is just a really complex deepfake

That would be in VERY poor taste...

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

2 hours ago, IGM0937 said:

Not entirely sure why they had to settle in a made up title of Chief Vision Officer as a new role for Linus (unless it's not made up, just rarely used). They should have just had his title spit up into, Chief Creative Officer and Owner OR just Owner.

Linus's new role is effectively Chairman of the Board of Directors, and that board consists of him and Yvonne (who own the company outright). The CEO has autonomy to run the company as he sees fit, but he can still be let go or replaced by the board. That's how top management at many large companies is structured; the CEO looks out for the company's interests, the board looks out for the shareholders'.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

7 hours ago, Quackwich said:

Can't imagine it was easy rejecting a $100M offer 😲

But best of luck in your new role, Linus!

Japanese people call it Ikigai, if you choose to remove one part of you, who then you will be?

a4996e32c04dce1ae9a6e01f5c15eb46.png

Thankyou for all you have done @LinusTech i know this is a personal choice for yourself all i can say is do what is right for your own mental health and wellbeing, im glad you are still being active within the business and cant wait to watch more amazing content.

Long overdue.  Especially with the level of burnout he has discussed in the past.  This kind of decision is a huge game changer for quality of life.  

The group I am in has partners that are all equal owners.  We have the option to micromanage the employees schedules, trying to optimize shifts to keep them happy while saving on OT, dealing with the accountant/bank, etc.  All of that is a massive headache.  We have a business manager that takes care of all that.  Everything from the employees goes through her.  She handles it in accordance with what the partners have set as our priorities, and brings to our attentions anything that would need our input.

We pay her well.  In exchange, we get to come into work and focus on what we do.  No concerns about whether we have enough employees to cover the day to day, who is on call, are there enough people for breaks, etc.  We just show up ready to do the part of our job that we like.

This is, IMO, the best way to run a business while keeping ownership and control.  We can sell out if we would like, and have 100% of all decisions made for us without any responsibility on our parts, and just show up to do what they tell us.  And we would have zero input.  This way, we get to steer the ship, we just dont have to micromanage the crewmen or make sure every part of the ship is working.

Props to Linus for making this choice, it really is the best way

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

Good luck everyone at LMG, I hope this works out for the best for everyone but it does sound like a good decision from the outside looking in.

This subject might take over the WAN show tonight. 😅

Watched this video, and honestly it is a good decision if you ask me. I'm getting the understanding that this will leave him to have possibly more time to engage with the viewers when someone else is in management, especially good when Terren seems to know very much about how to run things. And I think we can expect better videos and products for the future as mentioned in the video.

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

2 hours ago, Lenovich said:

Japanese people call it Ikigai, if you choose to remove one part of you, who then you will be?

On a separate note, that 4 venn diagram is incorrect. (I'm not saying what it contains is incorrect, I'm saying that that's not how a 4 section venn diagram looks like) Its pretty interesting really, although it makes sense, an actual 4 section venn diagram looks like this:

800px-Venn's_four_ellipse_construction.svg.png

Omg, it's a signature!

7 minutes ago, My_Computer_Is_Trash said:

🫡

I actually watched the sponsor section this time, and clicked on all of the sponsored links to give my thanks. 

Omg, it's a signature!

12 hours ago, wingscancer said:

I really hope the first words in the new CEOs video is "I'm firing colton" just to keep with the meme alive

I see it now. 

Video title: “Your new Overlord has arrived!”

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

5 hours ago, maksakal said:

Humans are just so annoying, they never do what you want them todo, they are so unreliable and the constant nagging and childish behaviour! Oh my god, the stories I have of just sitting there and thinking: "really, this is what you had to bother me for! You are a full grown person just figure it out and stop bothering me!".

Anyone who has had to supervise anyone else work knows this.  Some semesters I've had over college students.  One would hope that they'd understand the basic concept that they have to actually do their work something like on time to get a good grade.   The fact I wrote that tells you this is not the case. 

Then there is what is known as "managing up".   

https://www.cultureamp.com/blog/managing-up-importance#:~:text=The Harvard Business Review defines,productive relationship with your manager

In short it's just remembering the managers are also people and also can be unreliable, childish, broke, tired, depressed or happy, energetic etc. I try to remember that. 

14 hours ago, Ferkner said:

He's still the owner. Now he can concentrate on the content creation part and not the CEO stuff. 

So he owns the majority of shares, or is it a private company? Sounds like Chief Vision Officer is like the Chairman or President of most corporations, sitting above the CEO and responsible for broad strategy. 

@LinusTech I honestly think a better title would be President of LMG, in-line with most other companies in the world.

13 minutes ago, GodAtum said:

So he owns the majority of shares, or is it a private company?

Its 51:49 between him and his wife.

It's 50:50 between Linus and Yvonne.

Thank you, @LinusTech for giving the internet so many things!

16 hours ago, Levent said:

Well luckily there are companies/YouTubers out there who do a better job than LTT when it comes to “factual reporting”

LTTs videos have been riddled with issues for so long that I wouldn’t even recommend them for that purpose. Sure there fun videos here and there but I wouldn’t rely on their numbers at all.

You shouldn't rely on any single source for that kind of information. Always at least double check. Any creator can make mistakes. Gamers Nexus and Hardware Unboxed for example had their errors in the past same as everyone else.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

@LinusTech

Massive respect for the degree of introspect and reflection it must have taken to reach this decision. I'm looking forward to see you just being able to work with what drives you again, and good luck to Mr. Tong. 

Todays wan is going to be interesting, although I'll catch it tomorrow morning as usual (West coast Pacific doesn't go well with European time). 

Good luck and thank you for all so far

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

while it might be some weird periods for ltt would go through. can it keep wan?

but will the new guy drop a 100mill drive, or will he stop the drop?

4 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

while it might be some weird periods for ltt would go through. can it keep wan?

but will the new guy drop a 100mill drive, or will he stop the drop?

Since it's Yvonne and Linus who owns the company, I don't think it's in his ability to decide anything about selling or not. 

Regarding the WAN show, I think Luke and Linus loves doing it too much for anyone to touch. It falls under the "Quia Ego Sic Dico" rule

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

18 hours ago, yolosnail said:

So how does this management structure work?

Linus and Yvonne are directors of the company, but also lower down the structure than the new CEO?

So can the new CEO fire Linus?

Can the new CEO make financial decisions about the company without the say-so of Linus and Yvonne despite it being 'their' money he's spending?

I'll take a guess like every other company.

Linus/Yvonne are Directors, they'll be the 'Board of Directors'

The CEO is answerable to the Board.

The Board can fire the CEO.

The CEO cannot fire the Board.

The CEO job role will have the rules of engagement in terms of what they can do, what they can spend etc.

I love running my small 2 person company. But I get that a 100 person company would be too much for my autistic @@@ so I won't cry over his decision. But I only watch these days because it is still mostly Linus. If he stops being in the videos then I'll honestly move on. If this move makes him more available for videos than that is great.