I'm Stepping Down..

James
52 minutes ago, Randy R said:

I love running my small 2 person company. But I get that a 100 person company would be too much for my autistic @@@ so I won't cry over his decision. But I only watch these days because it is still mostly Linus. If he stops being in the videos then I'll honestly move on. If this move makes him more available for videos than that is great. 

I think the reason why he stepped down as CEO is because he wants to be more involved in video making. That is what I took from the video.

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WiFi, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, 64GB Trident Z RGB 3600 MT/s RAM, Windows 11 Pro

Custom Built NAS: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, MSI B550M PRO-VDH WiFi ProSeries, MSI RTX 2060 Super Gaming X, 128GB LPX Vengeance 3200 MT/s RAM, TrueNAS Scale

Custom Built Router: Intel Core i5 10400, Asrock B460M Steel Legend, 8GB 3000 MT/s RAM, OPNSense

Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max 512 GB T-Mobile

Work Laptop: Dell XPS 15, Intel Core i7-11800H, RTX 3050 TI, 32 GB 3200 MT/s RAM, Windows 11 Education

Tablet: iPad Pro 11" (2021) 256 GB

Dogs: Male Labrador Retriever and Male Pomeranian Chihuahua Mix

"NO one will directly report into me anymore, complaints about warranties, employee pay, none if it."

This part really interests me. Does this mean that the New CEO could implement an actual warranty for all products instead of "Trust me Bro"? Or perhaps employees being able to start unions/discuss wages, etc. all by himself? Or will Linus still want one hand on the wheel meaning he doesn't actually have as much control as we'd think? I also wonder, internally this may be the case, but it's still "LINUS Tech Tips", he's the face of the brand, not the CEO. So I feel like Complaints and everything will one way or another still be directed to him regardless of whether he likes it or not.

Anyhow, that's all speculation. As long as @LinusTech continues to be on camera I think all will be fine 🙂

Keep in mind that I am sometimes wrong, so please correct me if you believe this is the case!

"The Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050 is brutally underrated"

4 minutes ago, Birblover12 said:

"NO one will directly report into me anymore, complaints about warranties, employee pay, none if it."

This part really interests me. Does this mean that the New CEO could implement an actual warranty for all products instead of "Trust me Bro"? Or perhaps employees being able to start unions/discuss wages, etc. all by himself? Or will Linus still want one hand on the wheel meaning he doesn't actually have as much control as we'd think? I also wonder, internally this may be the case, but it's still "LINUS Tech Tips", he's the face of the brand, not the CEO. So I feel like Complaints and everything will one way or another still be directed to him regardless of whether he likes it or not.

Anyhow, that's all speculation. As long as @LinusTech continues to be on camera I think all will be fine 🙂

I do not think that there will be changes that will be that visible, and if I reckon correctly Linus was already hiring his old boss when he talked about the "Trust me Bro" concept last Friday. I also think that he will have the control he did back then, as a CEO is different from what an owner is in a company. 

I have a speculation to why this is happening, it could be wrong from what I know, but I think he wants the new CEO to report to him, rather than all the employees and etc reporting to him.

He did say that he will stay on camera, and he also said that he could be on camera more frequently, which is way better!

Long live LTT!

53 minutes ago, Birblover12 said:

To be fair, there is an actual written warrant posted on the LTT store already.😉

As to the unionization, the staff can unionize if they want to right now. From a legal standpoint there is nothing Linus, or Terren can do to stop it. I think the point that is often missed in this regard is that just because they are not unionized, that doesn't mean Linus is stopping them. I know what he said on the Wan show a while ago rubbed some people the wrong way, but I think people are making asumptions as to whats really going on.

What I think is very hard for some people to grasp is that not everyone wants to unionize and/or be in one.  Having a right to something and exercising that right are two differnet things. Not everyone is going to exercise their right to these things, maybe because they don't see value in it, or don't think it is necessary. A union isn't the answer in every scenario and while there are pros to unionization, there are many cons as well, believe me I am in one myself. Just because LMG employees are not unionized, people shouldn't assume Linus is preventing them from doing so, because at the end of the day he legally cannot stop them if they so choose.

Overall I am happy for Linus, it's very evident that the business side of things was really starting to take a toll on him. Congrats on turning down the $100mil. It's bitter sweet IMHO because in one had it is some sort of acknowledgement of all that hard work he and the whole team has put in over the years, but on the other by turning it down it just reinforces who he is as a person and where his values lay. He's absolutly right, money isn't the answer and having a lot of money doesn't make you happy, or happier.

Keep up the great work, looking forward to this new exciting chapter for LMG!

C'mon Linus, you should have took the $100mill and gambled $80mill of that at Vegas!!!

Go big or go home 😎

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 16-core 5950X

CPU Cooler: Artic Freezer 2 AIO 360mm Radiator

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming

Memory: 32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 MHz CL16

GPU: Nvidia RTX 4080 MSI Ventus 3X 16GB GDDR6X

Storage OS: 500GB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD

Storage Games: 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD + 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD + 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

Storage Misc: 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute 7200 RPM

PSU: Corsair HX Platinum 1000W 80+

Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz 1ms 3440p (widescreen) HDR400 OLED panel 34"  + Asus PG258Q 240Hz 1ms 1080p G-Sync TN panel 24.5"

2 hours ago, Lanrick said:

I think the reason why he stepped down as CEO is because he wants to be more involved in video making. That is what I took from the video.

It's not just that.

Part of it can be heard in the 10 million sub video, but you hear it constantly from him in the WAN Show. And I'm not talking about specific answers. But in general how he wants to focus on the things he enjoys, how the company has gotten so big, and he doesn't have time to do a lot of things because he also needs to run it. It's not just videos he wants to focus on, he's also passionate about the labs, about everything lttstore etc. He wants to do the things he's passionate about, and he never was passionate about all the CEO stuff.

But as we also know about him, he's a control freak, so for him to let Terren take over so many of these things, tells you 2 things, 1 he has enormous trust in him, and 2 he really wants to focus more on the creative side. So I expect the quality of so many things to go way up.

You could think of this as the end of an era, but I think it's more of a mix between the current era, and the old one, because Linus will just have that much more time again for other things.

Regardless of whether I'm right in my assumptions @LinusTech, I will say this, I hope you enjoy your newfound time doing the things you are passionate about. I also hope this gives you and Yvonne more time outside of work. 

Running a business is indeed a rather multifaceted thing.

Creative direction is important, but likewise is so many other things to run a business.

At some point, it does become hard to do all this by oneself.

Most companies hire an accountant quite early on, it is often the "easiest" to shift control over to someone else without feeling like one lost any real control.

Hiring someone for human resource management is typically second on the list. Eventually project management, legal, etc. Not to mention various experts on applicable things for the business.

Anarchy works in small companies where there isn't too much stuff going on at any particular moment. But as a company grows one has to start organizing the efforts. Sadly a lot of this organization adds in a lot of extra bureaucratic work to wander through to make even simple decisions.

Seeing Linus taking a step to the side to better focus on what he does best is honestly a good decision.

I personally wouldn't call this a step down, since it isn't. Running a company is teamwork, even in upper management.

23 hours ago, James said:

The time has come for me to step down as CEO of Linus Media Group (and everything else under the umbrella). Let me tell you what that looks like: what's changing, what's not, and who is taking my place...

I get it. Im glad for him. When i saw this my first thought was him stepping away from lmg. But its just him moving the ceo responsibility to someone with qualifications so he can continue to focus on content creation. In the end its a smart move and if linus trusts teren or however you spell his name. Ill trust him.

been watching since 2010

good to see hes not completely leaving

It’s mind blowing just how big LTT has grown when thinking it used to be little hardware review videos.

Its mind blowing to think that a lot of us are the same age as Linus as well and someone in on our generation has had such success!

I believe he’s making a good decision here just by putting myself into his shoes. Having so many employees now can’t be easy at all and again it’s hard to believe they would need such work force as well.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

15 hours ago, GodAtum said:

So he owns the majority of shares, or is it a private company? Sounds like Chief Vision Officer is like the Chairman or President of most corporations, sitting above the CEO and responsible for broad strategy. 

@LinusTech I honestly think a better title would be President of LMG, in-line with most other companies in the world.

A lot of presidents or chairmen don’t get actively involved in the business day to day in a traditional business. However while he will be taking on that role he will still be on the shop floor so to speak and actively engaging and driving things. I think that’s probably part of the reason for his title is that he wanted something that still said something with an executive role vs a non exec oversight role 

Its has a bit of a ring to it no?  Added bonus, you can keep your business cards

Image of Something, say, Chief Evangelism Officer?Image of So, CEO?