I Made a Bad Decision – Framework Investment Update

HC_writes

Framework visited LMG, and they brought a ton of goodies for us to take an early look at! How does Linus feel about his investment now? How much can he annoy the CEO of Framework? Will he drop any one-of-one parts?! All that and more in this Framework update!

Holy crap that 16in is really cool I have been waiting for them to make a fuller size laptop and this one I would most likely buy

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Hey anyone know who Linus was doing an impression of for a second there?  I can't quite place it. 👼🏾

It'll be awesome if Framework can make this catch on and force a real response from major manufacturers that'll be the real game change.   I just hope they don't get bought and subsumed into an established company first.  If they are able to have a removable DGPU become a standard across the industry that would be a game change.  That would be something that could last whether Framework last as an independent company or not (Just as standards set by IBM and others are still with us decades latter). 

Ngl if I was in the market for a laptop, this would be incredibly tempting for the modularity and theoretical future upgradablility. I've had laptops with crappy battery life due to degradation (where getting a replaceable one is damn near impossible, which tbh having non-standard or non-user replaceable batteries at least is a trend I hate over the past 20 years) that would solve the issue. A GPU module for if I wanted to game on the go or switch between something for work, or to continue upgrading the CPU forever would be so less wasteful than having to replace a laptop every x number of years. Hopefully recycling these modules would be simple.

Agreed, just a touchscreen and i'll upgrade from my 2008 Asus G50VT 3.3GHZ Dual core lappie with a 7040 16" Matte Framework. The modularity is on the level of my old Pentium 1 Dell Latitude LM, or a Panasonic Toughbook, but open source! Framework, Aptera, love you guys.

I would really appreciate A MASSIVE battery expansion, like going over FAA limit with two batteries in total. Its not like I am going to buy one though.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

10 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Hey anyone know who Linus was doing an impression of for a second there?  I can't quite place it. 👼🏾

It was one of Trumps lies where he claimed the only help he got from his parents was a small* loan of a quarter million dollars.

so uh Linus I feel this bears stating. You mention your 3d printed slim case and then segue (to our sponsor) to "if fyou dont have a 3d printer" but completly ignore that both Etsy and 3dhubs exists. Site where you can give them a stl file and they will 3d print your project and send it to you. You don't actually need to own a 3d printer of your own. Those are just 2 of several options to get a project 3d printed for you. Thats ignore just going to the local Maker space and using their 3d printers. The big note is that if you want something 3d printed, resin cast or even injection molded you can commision someone do do a one off project. heck i have one of each sitting on my desk right now (well except resin that's in the mail).

WIN_20230325_13_56_23_Pro.jpg

WIN_20230325_13_56_36_Pro.jpg

Ironic how they removed the default 3.5mm jack but every Macbook up to this day still has one.

But respect for the courage of doing this move, given how much people still whine and bitch about the removal of this port.

I know it's a bit presumptuous to try and tell LMG how to make videos.  But if your video has seizure inducing visual effects that require you to put a warning in it, don't do that, just remove the effects.

Seriously, there are three types of people on this planet: Ones that get seizures from seizure inducing visual effects, ones that get eye strain from seizure inducing visual effects, and ones that just find seizure inducing visual effects annoying.

There is zero reasons to have these type of effects in videos, it's the modern equivalent of putting GIFs all over your GeoCities page, pointless at best, annoying at worst.

This was a great video showing the concepts that Framework is working on and looks like it might benefit even other brands.

But I am seriously disappointed with the title and thumbnail choice. My interpretation of the title was - 'I done goofed supporting Framework, they are going down, I am ditching them'.

Like seriously, with content as interesting as here, why use a shitty title? I realize it has to do with views and reach, but a more appropriate title could've been selected.

Once they get libre/coreboot, a good trackpoint, and a reasonable screen resolution for the size, I may consider them somewhat useable. 

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

Here's a cool idea for the "sidecar" module on 16in: how about an e-ink screen that can hold notifications from the PC even when there is no power? Like opening a laptop and it says "I'm not broken, you just forgot to charge me dumbass so battery is like dead dead, also your wife wants you to call her and good luck with your shitty rest of the day without me. 6:15am framework checking out".

Main System: 2 x Intel Xeon Platinum 8268, 384GB DDR4 2933 ECC, 2 x NVidia 2080 Ti FE, 2 x Samsung Enterprise 3.2TB NVME PCIe Gen.3x8 SSD, custom water cooling.

Working in education, I'd love to buy and deploy these to students...however the easily removable modules (while excellent) would be a nightmare to keep on top of when students mess around and remove/steal them.

It'd be great if there was an option to have the modules fitted internally and secured by a screwed on back plate. While not infallible, it'd keep the modularity aspect, so schools can choose their spec level and have a stock of spares or other modules for other educational requirements/scenarios.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

There are multiple discussion threads asking for ECC memory support (e.g. https://community.frame.work/t/ecc-error-correcting-code-defaultly-supported-already-ryzen-amd/1716, https://www.cnx-software.com/2023/03/24/framework-modular-laptop-adds-intel-raptor-lake-amd-ryzen-motherboards-16-inch-laptop-frame/#comment-606684).

It is troubling, that there seems to be no statement about unbuffered ECC memory support on AMD board. Seems like a feature that would be advertised if supported.

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

That 16 inch with dedicated GPU is REALLY tempting to keep on the radar

same here 

I would love that laptop so much lol 

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

The 16 inch framework is what I've been wanting in a laptop, the dedicated GPU module and modular keyboard is also very interesting.

1 hour ago, h91 said:

Ngl if I was in the market for a laptop, this would be incredibly tempting for the modularity and theoretical future upgradablility. I've had laptops with crappy battery life due to degradation (where getting a replaceable one is damn near impossible, which tbh having non-standard or non-user replaceable batteries at least is a trend I hate over the past 20 years) that would solve the issue. A GPU module for if I wanted to game on the go or switch between something for work, or to continue upgrading the CPU forever would be so less wasteful than having to replace a laptop every x number of years. Hopefully recycling these modules would be simple.

I agree.  I'd love it if they came out with a tablet / convertible version of it.  The ideal would be like the display is just a display (mostly) that can be either plugged into a laptop base that has all the brains and expansion seen above.  With an alternative being the display could be attached to a smart phone, either by a cable or an internal bay of some kind.  Then used with something like Samsung Dex, or used with a compute module like a Rasberry pi or even as a display with touch and stylus capability with a desktop you happen to have.  

One big way to reduce E waste would be to not need to buy more stuff.  (Unlike Apple who insist on making one buy distinct devices and then exuceses the cash grab based on usability). 

1 hour ago, Pearce said:

It was one of Trumps lies where he claimed the only help he got from his parents was a small* loan of a quarter million dollars.

That little quip was a bit of an inside joke.  For certain posters who read my post and have taken action when mentioning a certain powerful office.  

1 hour ago, Ubersonic said:

Seriously, there are three types of people on this planet: Ones that get seizures from seizure inducing visual effects, ones that get eye strain from seizure inducing visual effects, and ones that just find seizure inducing visual effects annoying.

Insert short video of a Mortal Kombat Brutality here.  Because, you finished him.  

15 minutes ago, poptonite said:

I think the title and thumbnail on this video crosses a line. It's a complete farce compared to the actual opinion Linus has of Framework. 

My job is to make high quality, entertaining, informative content. 

If I have to bait people into watching it, but they enjoy the video and learn something then I don't feel bad.

From my point of view, it's like putting a fun cartoon character on a pack of spinach to get kids excited to eat it. 

It works and now we all know about the importance of modular laptops so we can put pressure on mainstream manufacturers to respond to this threat to their crappy, unsustainable business models. 

Sorry, not sorry. 

59 minutes ago, ook512 said:

There are multiple discussion threads asking for ECC memory support (e.g. https://community.frame.work/t/ecc-error-correcting-code-defaultly-supported-already-ryzen-amd/1716, https://www.cnx-software.com/2023/03/24/framework-modular-laptop-adds-intel-raptor-lake-amd-ryzen-motherboards-16-inch-laptop-frame/#comment-606684).

It is troubling, that there seems to be no statement about unbuffered ECC memory support on AMD board. Seems like a feature that would be advertised if supported.

to be fair thaat would require a total new mother board. like you can just slip out the ram connection and slip in a new one with ecc support meaning you have to have a amd eec motherboard, intell ecc, amd non ecc and intell non ecc

now keep in mind they JUST added the amd mb

and then you have to ask what kind of margins would they make on litterally doubleing the motherboards?

Like what I don't get in general but especially given the modularity of these particular laptops is the weak battery wow 55wh got 61 big whoop... a gaming laptop cant even game -at full speed with a dedicated GPU and high settings-  a single session of LoL (not that I play lol) with such lousy watt hours.... 

I get that its for airport regulations that max out at 100wh  but

a) who cares? I mean its not that the biggest or a sizable at least chunk of pc gamers does fly with their laptop  put a sticker on the box that clearly states that it is not suitable for airplanes problem solved
The ones that really need to fly with it wont buy it and the rest (aka most of them) would prefer to get a bigger battery and use a phone or a 2ndary slim cheap laptop for when they rarely fly with an airplane... 
b) make the battery removable and have as spare parts for sale different capacities to solve this issue.. 
c) especially this one could have e.g two 100 wh batteries and you simply could remove one while on the plane and reattach it when you're landed on your destination. 

P.S as for the "about 50% of people want a numpad"  That just means "most of the other 50% doesnt know it wants one" I mean omg you dont have to do taxes spreadsheets or serious work on a computer to use a numpad it comes handy e.g by simple data entry when creating an account or gaming e.g opening a good ol calculator and try to find out how many creeps you need to kill in order to lvl up in that grindy mmo you're playing or calculating a value on cheat engine etc a numpad is a must and no sane person can use the number row above the qwerty keys for more than just type in what year it is or something similar its a pain in the A.. 

So its just that many of the "other" 50% either did not use a full keyboard as an everyday driver for a prolonged period of time to know better or just didnt thought about it that much (and made the wrong decision lol 😛 ) 

P.P.S 
Why do modules have only 1 port? I mean e.g seeing the 3.5mm jack ones seems a waste why not couple it with a usb type C or what not? Or even a spdif  like anything to avoid waste space and add value/utility. 

P.P.P.S them slim pieces (leds/numpad/mousepad ) etc and the multiple ways they can be configured was so sexy and genius !