I Made a Bad Decision – Framework Investment Update

HC_writes

This is by far the coolest laptop I have ever seen. I need to convince my company to get one for me.

no oled, not even a mini-led option. I sincerely hope they improved the display from the last gen which had only a 69% DCI-P3 colour gamut with no hdr, a quantum dot layer at the very least. But given the barely touched on the display I don't expect much of an improvement.

7 hours ago, nekollx said:

well the benefit of modular design is that the part of you you dont like we can just swap out

That only benefits if the module you want exists in a way that you want it. Let's see where it goes.

For some context, the laptop versions of 4080 and 4090 go to 150W, the 4050 through 4070 up to 115W. I think sustaining 115W in a conventional 15" gaming laptop isn't difficult, and 4070 class (more realistically 5070) could be sufficient for me when the time comes to replace my existing laptop. 150W might be more challenging without using more space, so I'm thinking there'll be some kind of power bulge required to deal with it more effectively.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

This reminds of old business laptops, Dell Latitudes and Lenovo Thinkpad where you can alter the thickness of your device by swapping in a bigger battery. 

They need to modify that 3.5mm module. so mic and headset are split. and not combined

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

Yeeeeeah. I'm most likely in on that 16 inch Framework. 

Absolutely love the idea, and the modularity components available at launch. All depends on price. And I'm sure it won't be cheap. 

18 hours ago, LinusTech said:

My job is to make high quality, entertaining, informative content. 

If I have to bait people into watching it, but they enjoy the video and learn something then I don't feel bad.

From my point of view, it's like putting a fun cartoon character on a pack of spinach to get kids excited to eat it. 

It works and now we all know about the importance of modular laptops so we can put pressure on mainstream manufacturers to respond to this threat to their crappy, unsustainable business models. 

Sorry, not sorry. 

I get that you have to bait people, but please consider what you've mentioned in the past, to go back and edit titles a few days later.  

Scrolling past this a couple friends sent screenshots saying 'told you so' i.e. that Framework is failing and you regret investing.

I have to agree about the thumbnail thing. Baiting people is one thing, but this is the exact opposite message you wanna send on a first-glance view and people will take that initial impression and run without watching the video, and that's actively detrimental to your own mission here. For those who just skim past it, they're left with just the impression that the whole Framework thing went sideways. There's gotta be another way to be sensationalist and clickbaity about this, because you're ultimately just making it harder for your own message with the current thumbnail and title.

If nothing else, the video deserves a better "hook" from its thumbnail, because it's a great video.

OWNED CONSOLES [ INTV | NES | SNES | GG | N64 | GBCPS1 | GCN | GBA/GBA SPDC | PS2 | Wii | DS Lite/DSi | Wii U | 3DS/XL/nXL | Switch ] PLANNED ( XSX | Amico ) TV: E420VL + CT-26WX15N

GAMING PC/WORKSTATION [ Aether Case: FD Focus G Mini | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3950X (16c32t @3.5GHz) | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3600MHz | Mobo: Aorus X570 mITX | PSU: SSR-600TL

OS: Win10 Pro | SSD: WD SN750 1TB NVMe | HDD: 4TB WD Black | KB/M: Dell Multimedia USB Hub Keyboard (SK-8135) + Logitech G903 HERO | Display: ASUS VE248H + Dell E177FP | Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB Wireless

HTPC/HOME SERVER [ Phazon Case: Antec 900 Two | CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black (4c4t @3.67GHz) | GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB | RAM: 12GB (2x4GB+2x2GB) DDR3 @1400MHz | Mobo: MSI 870A-G54 | PSU: SSR-450PL

OS: Win10 Pro | SSD: Crucial 240GB SATA | HDD: 8TB HGST Ultrastar + 750GB WD Caviar Green + 200 GB Seagate | KB/M: Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000

19 hours ago, LinusTech said:

If I have to bait people into watching it, but they enjoy the video and learn something then I don't feel bad.

From my point of view, it's like putting a fun cartoon character on a pack of spinach to get kids excited to eat it. 

It works and now we all know about the importance of modular laptops so we can put pressure on mainstream manufacturers to respond to this threat to their crappy, unsustainable business models. 

Sorry, not sorry. 

Is click-bait "high quality" and "informative"?

Not disputing the fact that it works or you get results but:

A) Is it the only thing that works?  Or is it just easy?
B) Would a good non-click-bait title work better?
C) Is this good for the community?  When someone cuts in front of others in line or merging on the highway, they win, but at the expensive of the greater good.  By contributing click-bait to the information space, it harms the public information. 

I think LTT can do better, and will be better and contributed to a better YouTube, with less click-bait.

Bonus: Click-bait is more effective when used sparingly and perhaps it has become a too commonly used tool.

6 hours ago, porina said:

That only benefits if the module you want exists in a way that you want it. Let's see where it goes.

For some context, the laptop versions of 4080 and 4090 go to 150W, the 4050 through 4070 up to 115W. I think sustaining 115W in a conventional 15" gaming laptop isn't difficult, and 4070 class (more realistically 5070) could be sufficient for me when the time comes to replace my existing laptop. 150W might be more challenging without using more space, so I'm thinking there'll be some kind of power bulge required to deal with it more effectively.

i mean in t he video by LTT itself we saw them remove the back module and replae it wit hthe new GPU module which was taller and Linus outright says "if you dont minf breaking the seemless flow" and that the backmodule is desighed to have rear io so....

The clickbait is very missleading, and leads to people getting an impression that framework is falling, without even watching the video. A better tile might have been something like "It's only getting better" or somthing that isn't completly click bait

Some coolish person who likes to make stuff

Y’all going to stop watching LTT because of titles/thumbnails you’re not down with? Nah. So, do the cost/benefit analysis…

The modularity of the framework stuff is really great but I honestly love the aesthetic they’re doing too, really clean. Hopefully they can pull decent battery numbers out of this big boy. 

3 hours ago, Minystreem said:

The clickbait is very missleading, and leads to people getting an impression that framework is falling, without even watching the video. A better tile might have been something like "It's only getting better" or somthing that isn't completly click bait

welcome to youtube

im a web dev, if you need a website msg me

ill actually make a front-end website for you, im bored and need something to do, msg me with what you need and i might make a website for you (idc what platform you msg me on i have stuff on my profile) /srs

previous work linked on my profile under "website url"

i do everything for free so dont worry about paying me for it

Sorry Linus, I think the click-bait title on this one goes too far, just my two cents so I'm not going to dedicate more than a sentence to it.

I would totally buy a Framework, but I'm a slave to the trackpoint. I just can't use trackpads. So I guess I'm stuck with Thinkpads.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

21 hours ago, seanondemand said:

Y’all going to stop watching LTT because of titles/thumbnails you’re not down with? Nah. So, do the cost/benefit analysis…

Doesn't mean people can't give constructive criticism, also it's just slightly annoying is all. Imagine if you're on Netflix and you want to watch a show on cats eating, you click on one that has a picture of cats eating but when you actually watch it there is cats but they're just not eating. Not the end of the world, but it's obvious judging by other's reactions that perhaps it shouldn't become a trend for the channel.

Keep in mind that I am sometimes wrong, so please correct me if you believe this is the case!

"The Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050 is brutally underrated"

On 3/25/2023 at 2:10 PM, LinusTech said:

Sorry, not sorry. 

I'm disappointed, I know the algorithm Gods have shown you that videos with your face on them get more views, but I want to see some tig'ol biddies instead of Linus in the thumbnail once in a while. Take a note from TheQuartering.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

On 3/26/2023 at 5:30 PM, seanondemand said:

The modularity of the framework stuff is really great but I honestly love the aesthetic they’re doing too, really clean. Hopefully they can pull decent battery numbers out of this big boy. 

Yea I might, it doen't look good for the brand, doent look good for framework, and It dosn't look good to me. I have been a fan for a long time, but clickbaiting stuff just dosn't look good.

Some coolish person who likes to make stuff

The new laptops look awesome. It would be super cool to see some ortholinear keyboard options.

I feel like 225K is a very, very small amount for an investment in this kind of market, especially with, okay, an innovative but also a niche solution, this needs to become big or mainstream to be a viable solution and get prices down through massive adoption, the prices are still very high for a basic one (around 1050 $ with a simple i5 in it) when the competition offers them for 600 or even less, of course you get the framework chassis, but surely the chassis itself can't cost almost as much as the hardware and double the price of it, the price as of now is a byproduct of being extremely small / unknown outside the realm of Linus's channel. So early adopters will bear the price of a somewhat "Founders Edition" seriously, but without any perks attached to it.

I think it should give some perks for buying them, like a year or two of access to floatplane and rebates on LTT store, things like that, especially for year one early adopters. This is just an idea i'm throwing out there, if you want to advertise this even more efficiently and make the advertisement of it part of almost every video from now on.

You either want to lower prices by investing more and taking a financial risk for a year or two and make them affordable and accessable to ease in early adoption (just like Steam decks) or you provide rebates and ease in in any and every other way that makes the pill much easier to swallow and make the investment more perennial through the next batches / next hardware upgrades from there and easily recoup investment from that point as the ball will roll and everyone will see the benefit of upgrading (mostly the gpu i think as starters, i think the brunt of the upgrades will probably be gpus for a large segment of the userbase of this, followed closely by the cpu/mainboard.)

On 3/26/2023 at 6:44 AM, sounds said:

Why not attach a button like this to a macro like this?

Because it can't turn the laptop on, only off.

1 hour ago, kuro68k said:

Because it can't turn the laptop on, only off.

Fair point. Not all laptops have a "wakeup from keyboard key press." Maybe Framework's laptops don't?

But if they do, that would solve that problem.

• 3 weeks later...