Corsair RMx SHIFT PSU Series - 90 degree change of PSU ports

Dellenn

Summary

Corsair RMx Shift PSUs - changes the side the connectors are placed. More room for hard drive trays in the basement, easier cable management up the back panel of the PC case.

Quotes

Setting the new DIY building standard with the CORSAIR RMx SHIFT Series™. With its revolutionary design, we've engineered the connectors to the side, enabling you to access and connect your components with ease. Say goodbye to cramped and cluttered builds, and hello to a clean and organized setup.

My thoughts

Not sure why this has never been done before. It's a SIMPLE solution to a simple problem! Change the orientation of the ports, and you can retain the basement real estate.

Sources

Review @ OC3D

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/power_supply/corsair_rx1200x_shift_atx_3_0_psu_review/1

Edited by Dellenn

No, I'm sorry, this is dumb.

Now all the cables have to be routed into the inch or so of space between the side of the PSU and side panel of the case, and make a 90-degree turn right at the connector (have we learned nothing from the RTX 40-series 12VHPWR connector conflagrations?). 

All in service of what? What do I need "basement real estate" for? The vast majority of people won't have any desire to put more HDD bays or whatever there. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

10 minutes ago, Dellenn said:

It's a SIMPLE solution to a simple problem!

I sincerely doubt it was a simple solution… implementation wise at least.

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

This looks more like they got new design cues for their cases rather than anything else.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

4 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Now all the cables have to be routed into the inch or so of space between the side of the PSU and side panel of the case

This can be even less or just not exist, depending on the age of your case.

elephants

29 minutes ago, Levent said:

This looks more like they got new design cues for their cases rather than anything else.

Those were my thoughts as well.

Basically will only be ideal for certain cases, likely made in the past few years, and future ones.

Parasoshill

adjective

• A person whose parasocial relationship with a social media influencer or content creator has driven them to promote or blindly defend them, acting as a shill for their benefit.

43 minutes ago, Middcore said:

No, I'm sorry, this is dumb.

Now all the cables have to be routed into the inch or so of space between the side of the PSU and side panel of the case, and make a 90-degree turn right at the connector (have we learned nothing from the RTX 40-series 12VHPWR connector conflagrations?). 

All in service of what? What do I need "basement real estate" for? The vast majority of people won't have any desire to put more HDD bays or whatever there. 

modern solutions require modern problems

If done with proper case and cabels, cool. Also Seasonic made that PSU hub PS prototype which kinda is more interesting.

Really what I'd like to see is cables and connectors being made better, not as stiff and sharp plastic. Also being larger than needed. 

On mobo side, there was that new power connector also for it. Now what would be fun to see is well layed up connectors on the back at edge side or bottom with 90 degree turn and flat cabels. This would make no cabels visible on front door. Even GPU one to be at slot side towards grommet.

A lot of things can be improved design wise, we're still seeing molex, that old fat stiff front USB cable, unshielded audio cable, those tiny IO power pins cables that still are not unified and standardized for simple one plug.

So much stuff I'd rather see improved.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

37 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Also Seasonic made that PSU hub PS prototype which kinda is more interesting.

If you’re referring to what I think you’re referring to, that is a real product called Seasonic Connect, and it has a matching case called the Seasonic Syncro. Been using both for a year or more. It was cool wiring it up but since then its been a very normal case with a stable PSU. 

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

35 minutes ago, brwainer said:

If you’re referring to what I think you’re referring to, that is a real product called Seasonic Connect, and it has a matching case called the Seasonic Syncro. Been using both for a year or more. It was cool wiring it up but since then its been a very normal case with a stable PSU. 

Oh yeah, I forgot it got released along the case too. The inverted case layout. But yeah neat take.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

@Dellenn, this thread is missing written article to support it. Please add more source than what is essentially press release. Otherwise thread will be moved out of Tech News.

All good.

Edited by LogicalDrm

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

so long it works, but as others say, it can be a benefit and a curse. many cases that doesn't support it. then you also need the cables and connectors.

also if others produce that, one hopes there is enough room to not arch inside or areas getting too close from filtered to wall power. would be nice to see the inside changes.

Edited by Quackers101

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

@Dellenn, this thread is missing written article to support it. Please add more source than what is essentially press release. Otherwise thread will be moved out of Tech News.

Added link to OC3D

I wish there was a way to beef up the power delivery system on boards and essentially have the motherboard be the point of connection for all power needs. That would really clean up cases imagine GPUs with no cables and hard drives only needing one straight from the motherboard 

3 hours ago, Fasterthannothing said:

I wish there was a way to beef up the power delivery system on boards and essentially have the motherboard be the point of connection for all power needs. That would really clean up cases imagine GPUs with no cables and hard drives only needing one straight from the motherboard 

As in a split module? not the static one that seasonic did that was case specific? like a cable hub, one big cable to something that slits it for smaller cables and can be used if chosen to, shorter cables and closer mess of cables. but that was all a lie, modules become fire hazards and burns the case down 😛

9 hours ago, Fasterthannothing said:

thats kinda what 12VO is, and mobos can provide 75W to the GPU, so get a low end GPU.

but no wires all together, you can find servers like that.

Seems like a solution to a problem that never existed. If you have cables that are too long you're still going to end up having to bunch them up in the bottom of the case regardless. This is going to be incompatible with a lot of existing cases, though with graphics cards getting larger case manufacturers may be looking to make wider cases and are looking to utilise that extra width for other things. It might have been more interesting if they made the power supply narrower than the standard 150mm ATX width to allow more clearance for the cables allowing it to be compatible with more existing cases.

One potential use might be for mini-ITX cases that support full size ATX power supplies. Depending on the case it might be easier to route cables from the side. However, mini-ITX cases that support up to 180mm long ATX power supplies and would support the orientation that the PSU would need to be in are probably pretty few.

It wouldn't surprise me if there's a lot of issues reported with the power supply from people trying to use it in cases that aren't wide enough to allow the cables to come out of the power supply when they force the side panel closed and put a lot of pressure on the cables and connectors coming out of the PSU.

They're using a new set of cables which Corsair is calling "Type 5" cables. It's interesting that they opted for MicroFit connectors instead of the Mini-Fit Jr connectors that are typically used. Most likely just to keep the connectors as small as possible due to the clearance issues with where the connectors are located. It will be interesting to see if they adopt Type 5 cables for other power supplies as well or if they stick to Type 4 for their regular power supplies.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

20 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

, those tiny IO power pins cables that still are not unified and standardized for simple one plug.

The motherboard manufacturers have essentially standardized on that. It's up to case manufacturers to start implementing it! 

Some (cases or motherboards, primarily the latter) come with F_PANEL terminal blocks that you can plug all the little pins into, then plug the block into the motherboard. But the O11D EVO and even this Montech case Jay reviewed a week ago (timestamped) are starting to come with just the block, not individual pins. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

8 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

The motherboard manufacturers have essentially standardized on that. It's up to case manufacturers to start implementing it! 

Some (cases or motherboards, primarily the latter) come with F_PANEL terminal blocks that you can plug all the little pins into, then plug the block into the motherboard. But the O11D EVO and even this Montech case Jay reviewed a week ago (timestamped) are starting to come with just the block, not individual pins. 

Yeah sorry I meant cases. My Aorus board has that plastic part I plug tiny ones first then whole thing to board. Still not the best way, but just a block plug indeed.