Quitting PC gaming due to not being able to get a newest gen GPU - what??

Real_Smoky

So, what is up with people bitchin' and "quitting PC gaming" because of the GPU prices/availability and such?

Lately, I've been playing Spiderman Remastered with a stock clocks 6700k, 16gb RAM and a GTX 1060 6gb (and later upgraded to 1070 for really cheap, small bump in performance but worth it), at 1080p. Mostly 60 FPS with fairly high settings, something about the game causes dips during swinging through the city, but otherwise, pretty great experience. Honestly, I don't understand people who are like "RTX 3080 build or I'm out of PC gaming".

It honestly seems like some type of condition to me. Imagine someone quitting guitar playing because they can't get their hands on an USA Fender, despite hundreds and thousands of Fender, Squier, Jackson, Ibanez and other strats being available at every single imaginable price point. Imagine someone deciding to stop cooking because they favorite type of pasta got pulled from the shelves. Imagine someone quitting driving cars because they can no longer afford a Porsche.

Is Spiderman at 4k and and with a 3080 cooler than Spiderman at FullHD? Sure. I believe ya. It must be amazing. But the experience of playing it on a 1080p monitor was amazing. Playing the latest 3 AC games at 45-50ish FPS was fantastic, as well. Not quite 60FPS, but you get used to it quickly. I'm even considering pulling out an old 900p or 768p monitor when AC Mirage comes in case the graphics are too demanding for fullHD. Cheaper than getting a more expensive card and its gonna look fine at the distance I am sitting at. I remember AC Unity being so unoptimized that I couldn't run it at 1080p properly. I reduced the res and played the game with black bars enabled. Still enjoyable.

Well, anyhow, did you quit PC gaming due to the GPU shortage/prices or do you know anyone who did?

a lot of people (including me) dont understand what the gpus are capable of. ive been blown away at how good a 3060ti is at 1440p, where in the past, i thought that it was a card only capable of 1080p at high, but it pulls off 1440p ultra 60fps at most games! some people think that the only card thats good for higher res gaming is the 3080 which isnt true at all.

I think it is just the general slowdown in improvment to GPUS and the high cost.

I bought a gtx 1050 and it was 1080p king when i bought it at £150 Now you have to pay £300 or more for a new 1080p card.

They have been talking 4k gaming for years but its only this generation that is actually capable of running 4k 60fps without AI DLSS

When i browse through this website most people have better systems then the gpu they have, like me so i think people are just playing at low settings on their old gpus for these latest games while waiting hoping that gpus become better value.

Also what really bugs me is the VRAM nvidia has offered in its last 4 generations at the low to mid-high end

Depends what types of games they are playing.  I'd imagine for competitive gaming it can be an issue, as if all gamers skill is equal, the people able to run a higher frame rate have an advantage.

That said, its also one reason I have zero interest in competitive gaming.  I preferred the days when everyone had the same frame rate so it was purely down to skill rather than who could afford the fastest GPU.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

3 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

That said, its also one reason I have zero interest in competitive gaming.  I preferred the days when everyone had the same frame rate so it was purely down to skill rather than who could afford the fastest GPU.

High refresh rate gaming is on consoles now too (if tv supports)so the problems expeirenced by players on slow refresh rates on fps games is universal now.

8 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Depends what types of games they are playing.  I'd imagine for competitive gaming it can be an issue, as if all gamers skill is equal, the people able to run a higher frame rate have an advantage.

I hate to tell you this but even in like 1997 people would have a varied range of hardware that could and would give them an advantage

29 minutes ago, Ottoman420 said:

They have been talking 4k gaming for years but its only this generation that is actually capable of running 4k 60fps without AI DLSS

I suggest you watch this 

Its silly really if people are giving up because of that, I feel like these people are the type who don't like to fiddle with settings, they just want to buy the Ferrari and fly down the road day one, while the rest of us are the mechanic types that lovingly piece together and upgrade then 6 to 12 months later we blow past there Ferrari with our rebuilt clapped out Honda  

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

I certainly understand this.

I still remember when a high end GPU was about $500 to $$600 CAD. These days, that gets you a low to mid tier GPU at best (the 3060 is STILL $500 here)

Spoiler

image.png.a3a49ed0921ee617c795c0a400750b45.png

Sure, buying used hardware is a possibility.

But at that point, you may as well just get a console. It will perform better in newer titles as they will be optimized for it.

Plus, with miners burning out cards and pressure washing them with water before reselling, it ain't exactly a safe market right now either.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

I hate to tell you this but even in like 1997 people would have a varied range of hardware that could and would give them an advantage

To a degree sure, then there was your Internet connection which has always been an element.  Someone on dialup vs someone on ISDN/DSL would hardly fair so well.  But I think the gap is much wider today.

That said, having top-end hardware isn't going to solve my medical issues with my hands stopping my keyboard/mouse gaming any more.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

7 hours ago, NAMAJAFF said:

a lot of people (including me) dont understand what the gpus are capable of. ive been blown away at how good a 3060ti is at 1440p, where in the past, i thought that it was a card only capable of 1080p at high, but it pulls off 1440p ultra 60fps at most games! some people think that the only card thats good for higher res gaming is the 3080 which isnt true at all.

Modern GPUS are WILD man.

I mean like OP said even a 1060 can perform well at 1080p.
We're getting to a point in time where if you only care about 1080p60fps you can get basically the lowest tier new card and be good to go.

I've got a 3080 and it pushes 150+ FPS @ 1440p in any game that's optimized worth a damn (looking at you battlefield).

Point being - modern GPUs are so bonkers in levels of what they can actually do it's completely possible to have an excellent experience on an entry level (or older) GPU.
People just complaining because for whatever reason everyone always wants to chase that novelty or lil warm fuzzy of an "upgrade".

6 hours ago, TetraSky said:

I certainly understand this.

I still remember when a high end GPU was about $500 to $$600 CAD. These days, that gets you a low to mid tier GPU at best (the 3060 is STILL $500 here)

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.a3a49ed0921ee617c795c0a400750b45.png

Sure, buying used hardware is a possibility.

But at that point, you may as well just get a console. It will perform better in newer titles as they will be optimized for it.

Plus, with miners burning out cards and pressure washing them with water before reselling, it ain't exactly a safe market right now either.

Still remember when my GTX 780 was like 6-700 CAD new lmao.

My 3080 was like twice that (bought last spring right before prices dropped a lot LMAOOOO)

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

6 hours ago, Jerakl said:

Still remember when my GTX 780 was like 6-700 CAD new lmao.

Holy cow, was the 780 that amazing or the 770 that bad compared to it? I paid $360 taxes all in for it 2014.

The whole pc master race thing seems to be more about bragging about their hardware online or masturbating to overblown reflections on water rather than actually enjoying stuff.

Tbh, I used to play way more games when I had no money and an old rig, whereas today my fancy hardware is mostly mean for studies or some silly casual games once every week or so.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

5 hours ago, Snail Jerky said:

Holy cow, was the 780 that amazing or the 770 that bad compared to it? I paid $360 taxes all in for it 2014.

If have to double check, I my be misremembering. It may have been more like 500, but idr lmao
EDIT: I checked, full MSRP was 535$ for a fancy ASUS one lmao

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I see the merit in complaining about top end products being such terrible value but, as others here have mentioned, its the inflated price of “entry level” cards that really stops people from going PC. If I’m a younger person and I have to choose between a 60 series card or an entire PS5/Xbox theres just no way to sell me on the GPU.

19 hours ago, igormp said:

Tbh, I used to play way more games when I had no money and an old rig, whereas today my fancy hardware is mostly mean for studies or some silly casual games once every week or so.

Same, I majorly upgraded my desktop in I think 2018 last and besides minor stuff it has stayed like that. I mostly dump resources into my server now.

18 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

Right now console gaming is pretty good value.

Agreed, PS5 plus couch is where it is at.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

1 hour ago, C0stanza said:

I see the merit in complaining about top end products being such terrible value but, as others here have mentioned, its the inflated price of “entry level” cards that really stops people from going PC. If I’m a younger person and I have to choose between a 60 series card or an entire PS5/Xbox theres just no way to sell me on the GPU.

Agreed. The RX 6500 XT and GTX 1650 are just ridiculously crap cards and pretty much all that's available sub $200 new. Before the crypto boom you could get RX 570 new for $120 and those were genuinely awesome 1080p cards for the time and still better than the 6500 XT and 1650. Nowadays you're paying $280 for the RTX 3050 that's basically a 1660 Super that was $230 back in 2019 plus 2GB of VRAM and DLSS support, what a joke. AMD's RX 6600 ain't bad for a 1080p card, but those are $250 now. $250 used to be solidly midrange, you could get GTX 1060 6GB or RX 580 8GB, and no way the RX 6600 will age anywhere near as well as those two legendary midrange cards did.

I'm running an RX 6600 XT that I got for a good price and I'm very happy with it. Runs 1400 at 100FPS pretty well. I don't know why people would quit PC gaming entirely... sounds more like a temper tantrum.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

On 1/16/2023 at 5:45 AM, Real_Smoky said:

I'm even considering pulling out an old 900p or 768p monitor when AC Mirage comes in case the graphics are too demanding for fullHD. Cheaper than getting a more expensive card and its gonna look fine at the distance I am sitting at.

No way don't do that if you have a FreeSync monitor; it's such a gamechanger, especially at the low end. FreeSync is the single biggest advantage to PC gaming IMO, no more worrying about hitting 60 fps minimums to avoid stutter and you can just chase 60 fps averages and let FreeSync take care of the dips into the 50s and 40s, depending on your panel's FreeSync range (most of them will go down to at least 48Hz). I think Pascal can use NIS to force upscaling from whatever resolution you want to render at if AC Mirage doesn't come with FSR support and a 1070 is still a quality card anyways so I'd be floored if you couldn't use NIS to get a pretty steady 60 fps on it.

21 hours ago, Snail Jerky said:

Was that after the big summer selloff started when Litecoin was no longer profitable to mine with gpus? That was the whole reason Nvidia had to release the GTX 970 at the ridiculously good $330 price; would be like getting a 4070 Ti for maybe $400 today. Vs releasing the 770 at $400 when the used market wasn't loaded with high end gpus at bargain basement prices. Though the real star of 2014 was the R9 290 for $200 new with four free games. Never seen a gpu deal like that and doubt I ever will again.

ugh, first World problems. EVERY equipment hobby (or even...eggs) got much more expensive due to a combination of supply side issues and increased demand. But it is only because everyone wants to have the newest. And despite complaining, people still buy. I bet 99.9% of the people "threatening" to quit the hobby don't do it. Or if they do it, they do it for other reasons (lack of time etc.)

People still can do the hobby if they make it a priority. Not everyone needs the latest and greatest. and if you live in the Westerns World and don't waste money on cigarettes, Starbucks or whatever, anyone still can have somewhat decent 1-2 year old stuff. Or a very radical idea: there are help-wanted posters everywhere. If that new GPU really is a life-changing purchase, you can pick up some extra hours of work for a few weeks. 

If you adjust for $/performance and adjust for inflation, computer hardware still get less expensive every year. The problem is, people want to increase performance faster. I don't recall the details, but in 1996 I bought a W95 PC (not gaming) with Pentium 1. That thing must have cost a few thousand Deutschmark, so maybe $1,500 or so in 1996? I may be wrong with the numbers and the exact year, though but if you adjust for inflation you could build one of the highest performing PCs here. And that thing had no case fan, 60mm cooler, no-name MB and PSU. 

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

On 1/16/2023 at 6:45 AM, Real_Smoky said:

o, what is up with people bitchin' and "quitting PC gaming" because of the GPU prices/availability and such?

Well you got the highly competitive crowd who wants all the FPS they can get. Those are the ones who cry like a little bitch. 

However, I think a lot of people are just getting tired of the price hardware is currently. I mean its not only GPUs that are inflated. Look at AM5 motherboards, most if not all are $200+, the price of CPUs are up, DDR5 while it will come down, who knows when that will be. Games are up to $70 now. So for some its because they need a certain experience. For others they need to eat. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

43 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Well you got the highly competitive crowd who wants all the FPS they can get. Those are the ones who cry like a little bitch. 

So you mean the people who are NOT good enough to get sponsored (meaning the hardware is provided) and simultaneously don't have enough going on professionally that the cost of a computer is largely immaterial... 

Yeah, not the type of people anyone should be listening to. Does NOT scream excellence or good judgement. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800