Quitting PC gaming due to not being able to get a newest gen GPU - what??

Real_Smoky
On 1/16/2023 at 6:54 AM, NAMAJAFF said:

a lot of people (including me) dont understand what the gpus are capable of. ive been blown away at how good a 3060ti is at 1440p, where in the past, i thought that it was a card only capable of 1080p at high, but it pulls off 1440p ultra 60fps at most games! some people think that the only card thats good for higher res gaming is the 3080 which isnt true at all.

Same.

My year old now budget 3060 ti 5600X system still works better than expected even without using upscaling tech.

I can only guess this is just more of the "If you can't run it 120 fps at 4k on ultra quality then you might as well be playing on console" pc elitist crap.

(Even though most don't even have a monitor that can do that anyway)

Sh!tty people are always looking for ways to sh!t on others.

We need to enjoy what we have and stop focusing so much on what we don't have.

Life is better that way.

On 1/18/2023 at 9:06 AM, Bryan-10EC said:

Same.

My year old now budget 3060 ti 5600X system still works better than expected even without using upscaling tech.

I can only guess this is just more of the "If you can't run it 120 fps at 4k on ultra quality then you might as well be playing on console" pc elitist crap.

(Even though most don't even have a monitor that can do that anyway)

Sh!tty people are always looking for ways to sh!t on others.

We need to enjoy what we have and stop focusing so much on what we don't have.

Life is better that way.

This is true. I think there is a lot of posturing among pc elitists when they get worked up about price and availability of the newest cards.  Ultimately I highly doubt these people who say they are done with pc gaming are actually leaving - its just a lot of talk.

And like has been said already, prior generation cards can still be very competent.  I've been using a gtx 1080 for the past few weeks while waiting on RMA service for a new 40 series card that died on me.  Sure I'm not playing at 4K 100+ fps, but it still gets reasonable framerates at 1440p in recently released games and is still a good gaming experience 

Moore's Law/Higher powered modern hardware can easily make game developers lazy (and just programmers in general), so I totally understand the desire to always have new high tier hardware for best gameplay. The fact that games with cartoony graphics like Fartnight or Borderblands 3 play like garbage on midrange systems from when they initially released should be an embarrassment for the industry. 

We shouldn't need 5000 watt supercomputers to run even a modern game.

The move to powerful game engines made general game development easier, but can also add lots of uneeded overhead if not properly optimized. 

As someone else said, it depends on the games you play. But I started with a 1700 and a GT1030. A GTX1650 improved things drastically, but I later made some uninformed decisions in building a 5900X. In hindsight, it seems the 1700, carefully overclocked with better RAM and an RTX3080 / RTX3080ti with a Phillips Momentum 55" 144hz would have given far better bang for the buck than my current 5900X / RTX3060ti / Sceptre UM55 75 hz setup.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Only reason to get a 3080 ti/3090 or 4000 series card at this point is if you either got cash to burn or if you're using it for professional reasons, otherwise just get the 3060 or 3070. Heck, I ran a GTX 970 for 7 years, and that was a mid-range card crippled by its questionable memory architecture. Would have gone for a 3070, but due to scalpers the 3080 from LDLC was cheaper than the 3070s I could get my hands on.

But yeah, prices are currently bumped up for everything, manufacturers are definitely price gouging.

All I can say to those people...
Moe GIFs | Tenor

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

4 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

All I can say to those people...
Moe GIFs | Tenor

In my opinion there are two groups of people. There are the ones whining that they cant get the latest and greatest. There are those who cant financially support getting new hardware. Depending on how old the hardware is, some are choosing to hang it up. 

My friend bought a gaming laptop a few years back. But he gave his old gaming PC to his wife's uncle. The uncle plays with my friend and I on Sundays for a few games. The issue is, he hates PC gaming due to this hand me down computer. The computer in question runs a 6 core Phenom 2 I think, so a really really old chip, and modern day games dont like it some of the time. He has issues with games crashing and such. The machine had a clean install not long ago. So now games have to be cross play between PC and PS4/5 for us to all play together. At the end of the day with hardware costs going up and games going up, at a certain cost it might not make much sense for some people as well. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Well, I will say I completely understand why, I am a bit of perfectionist myself and won't start something unless I have the best stuff or there about at times. Or the tool in my head,  brain image, ie I procrastinated screw in a wall screw for a electrical plug cover bc I didn't have my electric drill screw when my snap on ratchet will do or any other. Then forgot or still didn't find it, then at the end 3 month later I am like this have to be done and finished it, then find my what I was looking for 2 days later. This just an exemple, other stuff on the to do list been therr for 6 month, a year and more, the thing is that some people like me, have a hard time doing temporary things, either we are full in or not. And it is ready lots of snugs and exceed the time.I guess it is true of most ADHD. 

So yeah, but it is wither that or make do just whatever, not happy and not registering as your doing it, kind want to forget and don't have that finish excitement. 
I use Xcloud and GFN at times, not best quality but convenient  when you move a lot. What I mean is there 2 kind of make do, one that get over another you don't get over it and your mind is a mess bc it doesn't register you done the job. So at times just stop without saying "quit". 

I ditched my GTX 980 for a 6800 XT. The 980 couldn't keep up with 1440p 144hz.

That said, I have no intention of getting a 7900XTX, or 7900XT. I would rather use Intel Xe than NVidida, so forget 'em.

The 6800 XT does fine, I get 100+ FPS in almost every game I play, I'm not worried about performance.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

I never gave up on gaming computer. My Radeon RX 5500XT just fine most games at Medium to High graphic settings, 1080p for now.

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD (OS driver) | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe (Anything else)

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

Some people are "All or nothing" "Go hard or go home" types. Just how it is. These types of people are in all areas. 

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

There's multiple factors at hand, but as others have pointed out, a large point is the value proposition.

Even if you spec out closest equivalents in the CPU, GPU, and RAM, then use bottom tier trash for everything else, you're still spending double what you can get a console for (YMMV, depending on where you live). And yeah, there's always been a price disparity between consoles and PC's, but the gap is widening so much that it make no sense, if your main use is gaming.

I don't blame anyone for getting out of PC gaming, given the current state of things.

Parasoshill

adjective

• A person whose parasocial relationship with a social media influencer or content creator has driven them to promote or blindly defend them, acting as a shill for their benefit.

I'm going to guess a lot of these people already have something faster than a 3080 and it isn't doing what they want it to do.  Which is quite understandable at 4k especially with 10GB vram.  

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

On 1/17/2023 at 7:23 PM, Donut417 said:

the price of CPUs are up, DDR5 while it will come down, who knows when that will be. 

DDR5 really isn't that bad if you can accept 5600 I've even seen 64GB kits that were like $250.  I can't say what 32GB is because I didn't consider it, but I paid quite a bit more than that for DDR4.

EDIT: I've been getting $0.01 32GB 6000cl36 kits but I've been selling those.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

I'll stop PC gaming if I move away from Microcenter. As I made a topic recently, online sounds like an absolute nightmare.

With a Microcenter close by. I was able to get a 3080 near launch when prices were normal. Got a 3080 Ti at launch, got a 6900XT when prices dropped, got a 4090 at launch.

Without Microcenter, I would have to pat at least 2 grand on any of those cards, or wait until they were old, and the actual 2 grand 4090 would have been $3500. I refuse to deal with any of that. 

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X- Asus ROG Strix X670E-A DDR5 5600 32GB CL32 -Asus Strix Nvidia RTX 4090 -Lian Li Lancool 3
4.5TB storage; 3xM.2 NVME, 1xHDD.
MSI A1000G -Acer CB282K- Corsair H150i, Corsair fan exh, x3 Lian Li intake fans, x3 Lian Li lower fans
Corsair K57- Redragon Vampire Elite
Lenovo AMD A6/R4 Laptop

XBOX Series X, PS5, Switch, Dreamcast

Fun cars - Evo X built cammed 6266, Mustang S550 NA Cammed Cobrajet  

2 hours ago, ewitte said:

DDR5 really isn't that bad if you can accept 5600 I've even seen 64GB kits that were like $250.  I can't say what 32GB is because I didn't consider it, but I paid quite a bit more than that for DDR4.

EDIT: I've been getting $0.01 32GB 6000cl36 kits but I've been selling those.

You missed the point. Everything is more expensive. At a certain expense some can’t justify spending the money. 

On 1/16/2023 at 11:54 AM, NAMAJAFF said:

a lot of people (including me) dont understand what the gpus are capable of. ive been blown away at how good a 3060ti is at 1440p, where in the past, i thought that it was a card only capable of 1080p at high, but it pulls off 1440p ultra 60fps at most games! some people think that the only card thats good for higher res gaming is the 3080 which isnt true at all.

RX 6600 xt owner, 250€ second hand card. No problems with Cyberpunk in 1440p.

People run they mouth on the internet but they just cappin

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

You missed the point. Everything is more expensive. At a certain expense some can’t justify spending the money. 

Even the fact a decent midrange GPU costs as much as a PS5 does, everything being more expensive makes pc gaming a lot less appealing than it used to be when you could build a system for less than $1,000. And the people that always buy the latest highest end GPU aren't going to notice things getting more expensive, or just not care.

On 1/16/2023 at 5:45 AM, Real_Smoky said:

So, what is up with people bitchin' and "quitting PC gaming" because of the GPU prices/availability and such?

Honestly, I don't understand people who are like "RTX 3080 build or I'm out of PC gaming".

It honestly seems like some type of condition to me. Imagine someone quitting guitar playing because they can't get their hands on an USA Fender, despite hundreds and thousands of Fender, Squier, Jackson, Ibanez and other strats being available at every single imaginable price point.

This mindset comes from the cancerous blotch on the PC gaming community that is the obsession with "MUH PEE SEA MASTUH RAYCE". This causes some people to have some kind of absolutely dreadful little man syndrome when it comes to their computer components, causing an endless black hole of needing to be at the top of the game while ignoring the sisyphus situation they are clearly in.

And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

On 1/22/2023 at 3:01 PM, Donut417 said:

In my opinion there are two groups of people. There are the ones whining that they cant get the latest and greatest. There are those who cant financially support getting new hardware. Depending on how old the hardware is, some are choosing to hang it up. 

My friend bought a gaming laptop a few years back. But he gave his old gaming PC to his wife's uncle. The uncle plays with my friend and I on Sundays for a few games. The issue is, he hates PC gaming due to this hand me down computer. The computer in question runs a 6 core Phenom 2 I think, so a really really old chip, and modern day games dont like it some of the time. He has issues with games crashing and such. The machine had a clean install not long ago. So now games have to be cross play between PC and PS4/5 for us to all play together. At the end of the day with hardware costs going up and games going up, at a certain cost it might not make much sense for some people as well. 

I can afford a 4090. I could even get a 13900K, DDR5, a new PSU, and case... I won't support NVidia, they don't deserve my money. I am not a fan of the big/little core setup, just personal preference. I'd rather have more cores/threads, but to each their own.

The biggest thing motivating me to give up on gaming is actually Microsoft. I hate Win 10, and Win 11 is just so much shit, it's just not going to happen. That said, almost every game I play works in Linux, so I'm actually going to give it a shot.

The investors have decided to wring every penny they can from the gaming market, why be patient and make billions when you can get greedy and make a few million right now?

1 hour ago, Sarra said:

biggest thing motivating me to give up on gaming is actually Microsoft. I hate Win 10, and Win 11

Linux my friend. I have a steam deck and many games work flawless or the issues they have don’t really affect the game play. 

20 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I do this all the time.  Just upgraded from a 5900x to a 7950x and by the time is all said and done it will be a net ZERO cost.  That comes at part luck and part pushing myself into high gear selling things off.   Luck part being I purchased AM5 standoffs for my EK waterblock for $15.  I was sent THIRTY of them, they sent the entire bag.  Its slow but I'm selling them on Ebay for about the same amount I paid for the 1.  Also, I made double mining off of my 3080 than I spent for the 4090 (which was only net about 850).

Moral of the story - If you want something bad enough work for it.

On 1/16/2023 at 3:45 AM, Real_Smoky said:

So, what is up with people bitchin' and "quitting PC gaming" because of the GPU prices/availability and such?

Lately, I've been playing Spiderman Remastered with a stock clocks 6700k, 16gb RAM and a GTX 1060 6gb (and later upgraded to 1070 for really cheap, small bump in performance but worth it), at 1080p. Mostly 60 FPS with fairly high settings, something about the game causes dips during swinging through the city, but otherwise, pretty great experience. Honestly, I don't understand people who are like "RTX 3080 build or I'm out of PC gaming".

It honestly seems like some type of condition to me. Imagine someone quitting guitar playing because they can't get their hands on an USA Fender, despite hundreds and thousands of Fender, Squier, Jackson, Ibanez and other strats being available at every single imaginable price point. Imagine someone deciding to stop cooking because they favorite type of pasta got pulled from the shelves. Imagine someone quitting driving cars because they can no longer afford a Porsche.

Is Spiderman at 4k and and with a 3080 cooler than Spiderman at FullHD? Sure. I believe ya. It must be amazing. But the experience of playing it on a 1080p monitor was amazing. Playing the latest 3 AC games at 45-50ish FPS was fantastic, as well. Not quite 60FPS, but you get used to it quickly. I'm even considering pulling out an old 900p or 768p monitor when AC Mirage comes in case the graphics are too demanding for fullHD. Cheaper than getting a more expensive card and its gonna look fine at the distance I am sitting at. I remember AC Unity being so unoptimized that I couldn't run it at 1080p properly. I reduced the res and played the game with black bars enabled. Still enjoyable.

Well, anyhow, did you quit PC gaming due to the GPU shortage/prices or do you know anyone who did?

In all honesty, if gaming is all I care about, between having a half assed PC and a PS5 or Xbox Series X, I'd go for the console any day. They will provide me with more joy than something like your current 6700k, 16gb, 1060 combo. We're talking about an average 2080 Super - 2080Ti build level against a 1060 build. I'd only go for that PC if all I did play was FPS games and PC exclusives.

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Linux my friend. I have a steam deck and many games work flawless or the issues they have don’t really affect the game play. 

That's the plan. :3

Been running KUbuntu for over a year now in a VM, and I'm quite happy with it.