Is there an asus rep I can yell at anywhere around here?

Bombastinator

I don't recall ever seeing any Asus reps post here, but if any do I'm sure they saw this thread and decided their time was better spent assisting people with real problems who actually want solutions.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Run it in a fresh inprivate/incognito window the cookies will be gone the second you close the window and they don't have access to anything.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

2 hours ago, CBojorges said:

What? I don't get what's the problem. I have an old Asus router and for the first time configuration, I need to enter to router.asus.com, or enter the router's IP, which comes in the paperwork. When you do that, you connect DIRECTLY to the router. Therefore, you're not going to be asked for any cookies since they are not required. Once there you can configure anything you want. 

I also have a Linksys router which works the same way, so I think that's pretty standard. 

Also, as many others have stated, not all cookies are bad. Cookies main reason to exist is to store your preferences (If you switch to dark mode, if you wish to stay logged in, a meta cookie to store your choice of not allowing tracking cookies,.etc.). The reason you're being asked which cookies you want is because some privacy European regulation, if I recall correctly. That pop up asking you to configure which ones you want is your friend , not your enemy.

It’s all on the website now.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

It’s a case of capitulate or to not capitulate.  Right back atcha with the insinuation that I’m crazy though.

seriously just seek help dude i’m kinda worried now

26 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It’s all on the website now.

Still the same setup as before routers IP or routers.asus.com which is the same as your routers IP

I even looked at the setup manuals for their newer released routers and they all say the same.

51 minutes ago, RZeroX said:

Still the same setup as before routers IP or routers.asus.com which is the same as your routers IP

I even looked at the setup manuals for their newer released routers and they all say the same.

Interesting.  So I can find an old paper manual that could tell me how to do the things I need to do.  That could work.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, NF-A12x25 said:

seriously just seek help dude i’m kinda worried now

tbh im more worried about you.

Why are you so antagonistic? Why do you almost go out your way to try and diminish another human being.
You should feel very ashamed of the words posted in this topic.
How hard is it to be empathetic to anthers wishes. Or just shut up.

Computers and the software are to serve us NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND!!!

Oh and yeah Asus routers are crap, don't buy them, problem solved.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

3 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Why are you so antagonistic? Why do you almost go out your way to try and diminish another human being.
You should feel very ashamed of the words posted in this topic.
How hard is it to be empathetic to anthers wishes. Or just shut up.

Computers and the software are to serve us NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND!!!

I think you’ve got that one backwards.  He was the one that turned over that rock.  I did reply in kind, though so I guess there is that.  Sinking to a level etc etc.  it was an under the radar swipe though and I wanted to make it more visible

21 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

mald, the guy is wack. Paranoid delusions or something bruh, it’s not normal to be this obsessed with cookies.

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Interesting.  So I can find an old paper manual that could tell me how to do the things I need to do.  That could work.

You don't need no paperwork. You just need to connect to your PC to your router via Ethernet and enter to router.asus.com. Asus also has an app for managing their routers.

Edit: Dude, what are you talking about I just searched for an Asus router and they clearly have the instructions I just provided written down on a paper.

Screenshot_2022-10-18-23-00-40-40_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpg

17 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I just cleared all cookies, went to asus.com, rejected cookies, I don't see any issues.

13 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Well arguably nothing since they won’t even let me look at it.

Looks like an unintentional bug to me, opening up cookie settings results in black overlay... even if you accept everything 😆.
It goes away on page refresh or if you navigate to a different page:

@Bombastinatoris this the issue you were having?

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

7 hours ago, CBojorges said:

You don't need no paperwork. You just need to connect to your PC to your router via Ethernet and enter to router.asus.com. Asus also has an app for managing their routers.

Edit: Dude, what are you talking about I just searched for an Asus router and they clearly have the instructions I just provided written down on a paper.

Screenshot_2022-10-18-23-00-40-40_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpg

I can get it going fine.  I need to secure it though.  Get it going and get it going securely are different things.

50 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I can get it going fine.  I need to secure it though.  Get it going and get it going securely are different things.

So you have setup the router, and it is running your internet traffic? 

You can log into your routers settings page?

What settings do you need to change to secure it?

Playing devils advocate by telling you to look up browser fingerprinting.

You can get tracked pretty well even without cookies or IP addresses, so don't worry too much about those marketing cookies 🤷‍♂️

Unless you go full VPN TOR no scripts you're gonna get tracked and if you go full security no scripts your browsing experience is gonna be ass (super slow, many functions of websites dont work without javascript etc)

edit:
https://amiunique.org/fp  (<-- chek your browsers fingerprint)

1 hour ago, ToboRobot said:

So you have setup the router, and it is running your internet traffic? 

You can log into your routers settings page?

What settings do you need to change to secure it?

Partially

Not currently.  
*all of them? Update firmware. -done even the new firmware has a signing problem though which is locking me out of the web GUI at least on my iPhone.  Which is where I wanted to administrate it from.  Will try other OSes.

*turn off ssid -not done

*modulate power so it doesn’t leave the building: easy (I live in what effectively is a faraday cage) -not done

*modulate power so basement will be covered but second floor won’t -might not be possible but haven’t even been able to test

*set a strong password -done

*Turn off wps -not done

*Is there even a hardware firewall?  What are its settings?
 If it even has one: what are the deets of its statefull inspection?  Do I need to forward ports so I can use a software firewall?  Some ports will likely need to be turned off.  Which ones? 

Edited by Bombastinator

1 hour ago, Assimov said:

Playing devils advocate by telling you to look up browser fingerprinting.

You can get tracked pretty well even without cookies or IP addresses, so don't worry too much about those marketing cookies 🤷‍♂️

Unless you go full VPN TOR no scripts you're gonna get tracked and if you go full security no scripts your browsing experience is gonna be ass (super slow, many functions of websites dont work without javascript etc)

edit:
https://amiunique.org/fp  (<-- chek your browsers fingerprint)

This seems to be the most salient point made so far.  In this day and age the best one can do is not be low hanging fruit.  So I want to get as high up the metaphorical tree as I can.

Edited by Bombastinator

On 10/18/2022 at 8:24 PM, HanZie82 said:

ASUS Routers are the fastest I've ever owned. ARRIS, Netgear, Lynksis, etc hasn't treated me as well. Not sure if that's a FIOS thing or not though. Mesh WiFi is also nice. 

On 10/18/2022 at 2:52 PM, SimplyChunk said:

erm no.  If he doesn't want the cookies the site shouldn't kick him off because of that.  that's like nvidia denying drivers for their cards if you don't except cookies on their site

Lets look this argument from another angle. You as consumer are not forced to buy from Asus (or anyone else). They are hardly only manufacturer of anything. So you, as consumer, make a decision to buy from company and once taking hardware to use, accept the terms they have set. Again, since they are not only company, you can choose another with better consumer policy (same thing with that home automation debacle that Linus had). So, in summary, Nvidia is 100% saying "if you don't like our terms, we don't play nice with you".

And also, mirror downloads exist.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Funny stuff. I'll just add to the chorus that not only are you paranoid you are not even doing it right. Most of the web doesn't work without cookies at this point so you certainly are not living cookie-free.

And whoever is after you has gotten way more information about you out of the 27,293 posts you've made on this forum, your Steam account, and everything else you do online than they would ever get from a few cookies.

And this thread was just about pointless ranting since you never asked for a solution.

16 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

Funny stuff. I'll just add to the chorus that not only are you paranoid you are not even doing it right. Most of the web doesn't work without cookies at this point so you certainly are not living cookie-free.

And whoever is after you has gotten way more information about you out of the 27,293 posts you've made on this forum, your Steam account, and everything else you do online than they would ever get from a few cookies.

And this thread was just about pointless ranting since you never asked for a solution.

Yet another “I don’t understand the problem” comment.  Did the thread even get read?  

I'm getting close to not giving Asus any more money for a very long time. Even with cookies enabled about half the time I can't get manuals online. The site just doesn't work other times, more commonly than any other manufacturer.

Then more recently I purchased a DDR5 board on accident when I first got my 12900k. It sat on a shelf for the better part of 6 or 7 months. Went to go use it once DDR5 dropped price quite a bit and there was some horrible QC issues, but it was out of return window. Went back to Gigabyte boards.

I don't think I've ever seen an Asus rep on here though.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Yet another “I don’t understand the problem” comment.  Did the thread even get read?  

Yes it certainly did. At no point did you ever ask a question nor did you take any advice from people who tried to help.

This quote sums it up:

On 10/18/2022 at 7:23 AM, Bombastinator said:

Also I’m sure you know what to do with your “telling me what to do” thing.

5 minutes ago, NastyFlytrap said:

Hey, so umm whats the context? 

I have an asus router too but i dont seem to remember accepting cookies for everything on the internet

I think OP is trying to get details on the advanced settings to setup his router more securely (like FAQs and manuals) via Asus's website and is objecting to their cookie practices.

Which, honestly, I could grab whatever info for them if they wanted if they specified.  I'm not that annoyed by it.

1 hour ago, dilpickle said:

Yes it certainly did. At no point did you ever ask a question nor did you take any advice from people who tried to help.

This quote sums it up:

That’s because most of them were merely insults by people who didn’t get what I was saying.  Like you. I will repeat again for the kids in the back: There is a difference between accepting certain cookies and accepting ALL cookies.  I continue my belief that accepting any and all cookies is beyond dangerous. “Some cookies are innocuous” is true.  That cookies are endemic to the internet is also true.  However that malicious cookies can and have been constructed is true too.  You don’t wander down the street injecting every liquid that can be found into your body.  That doesn’t mean you refuse all injections though.

Not all the replies were idiotic.  Some statements were actually constructive, and I replied as such. There were some who disagreed with the concept, and I explained why that didn’t affect my view on the matter in this instance. Some statements were made after I said that I had my machine set on “refuse all cookies.”  Which does in fact imply any cookie at all.  I assumed that was the strictest standard.  As once upon a time it was.  It is apparently no longer even an option though, and while I did have my browser on the strictest standard I could, it was not “refuse all cookies” as is shown in the thread.  So your statement while very narrowly not actually false, is effectively false.

Edited by Bombastinator