Is there an asus rep I can yell at anywhere around here?

Bombastinator
19 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

Ok and what exactly is your question? 

The original question?  It’s the title of the thread.  I was angry at the time.  It was answered once. The world keeps turning though and that was a while ago.  Right now the thing I don’t know is if there is a way to get openWRT on an ax55.  There is no ax55 build for it that I could find, but there is an ax53U build.  I don’t know if using that instead would merely partially work or brick the thing or what. Seems like a bad idea to even attempt from here. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Not really an expert on WiFi but i do know that hidding the SSID does absolutely nothing to stop the people you're afraid of from finding your network. In fact, from what i understand, it will make your phone scream for your network everywhere you go to see if it can find it. So instead of your router broadcasting it, it will actually make all your devices broadcast it. Sure might be more difficult for people to find but whoever you're afraid of will be able to.

I wish you all the luck and strength to overcome your fear of cookies, you seem to need it.

I have no signature

3 hours ago, Helly said:

Not really an expert on WiFi but i do know that hidding the SSID does absolutely nothing to stop the people you're afraid of from finding your network. In fact, from what i understand, it will make your phone scream for your network everywhere you go to see if it can find it. So instead of your router broadcasting it, it will actually make all your devices broadcast it. Sure might be more difficult for people to find but whoever you're afraid of will be able to.

I wish you all the luck and strength to overcome your fear of cookies, you seem to need it.

I’m not afraid of most cookies.  The problem is not that they need cookies to make their site work but the blanket nature of the demand. It’s not some cookies for some things, it’s all cookies everywhere all the time.  The power of malicious cookies is not strong compared to full on malware, but I find datamining to be an extremely distasteful thing and will not participate if given a choice.  Simply opening myself up to whatever thing any entity wants to take from my computer without reservation strikes me as foolish.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.