Is there an asus rep I can yell at anywhere around here?

Bombastinator

Due to asus website stupidity involving blocking the web unless I allow all cookies everywhere (which I won’t do.  Ever.  It’s beyond irresponsible) I cannot set up my new router so I’ve got to drive 40 minutes to return the thing and buy something from a different company without a broken website.  Thankyou for wasting an hour and a half out of my day and $100. The law didn’t force you to break the website.  Greed forced you to break the website.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Thats dumb, yeah. But why not just create a VM or a Linux boot USB or just delete them when you're done?

10 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Due to asus website stupidity involving blocking the web unless I allow all cookies everywhere (which I won’t do.  Ever.  It’s beyond irresponsible) I cannot set up my new router so I’ve got to drive 40 minutes to return the thing and buy something from a different company without a broken website.  Thankyou for wasting an hour and a half out of my day and $100. The law didn’t force you to break the website.  Greed forced you to break the website.

Don't blame anyone else for your CHOICE not to accept the cookies.

1 hour ago, ToboRobot said:

erm no.  If he doesn't want the cookies the site shouldn't kick him off because of that.  that's like nvidia denying drivers for their cards if you don't except cookies on their site

Edited by SimplyChunk
sorry, spelling on shouldn't

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

4 minutes ago, SimplyChunk said:

erm no.  If he doesn't want the cookies the site should kick him off because of that.  that's like nvidia denying drivers for their cards if you don't except cookies on their site

Cookies from ASUS, which can be deleted later, is a silly reason to waste an hour and a half, incur cost of driving to return it, and then the economic/environmental penalty of the return.  The user is creating this problem for themselves, and then complaining.

Is it stupid for ASUS to do it this way?  Yes.  Is it stupid to double down on the stupidity and refuse the simple solution?  Yes.

24 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Why do you need their website to setup the new router?  What exactly breaks on the website?

I just cleared all cookies, went to asus.com, rejected cookies, I don't see any issues.

8 minutes ago, SimplyChunk said:

erm no.  If he doesn't want the cookies the site should kick him off because of that.  that's like nvidia denying drivers for their cards if you don't except cookies on their site

That depends what they were trying to do on the website.  If they were trying to do anything that needs to login to an ASUS account then that inherently needs cookies, how else are you supposed to maintain a login session?

Cookies are not evil, tracking cookies are and I use Firefox which blocks most tracking.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

18 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

Oh I absolutely will. Because it’s not “the” cookies.  It’s ALL cookies.  From everyone.  I have a CHOICE not to buy any more asus stuff. It seems I am forced to. Even though it is technically my CHOICE. As you put it.  I will NOT allow all cookies as I wish to have a system that is reasonably secure and I do not want random people digging up my metaphorical butt looking for data to sell.  Which is what that demand actually does. It is very possible to make a functional website without cookies. Which Asus seems to claim they are unable to do.  People did it for years and still do it now.  I am not responsible for asus’s inability to do so.

Also I’m sure you know what to do with your “telling me what to do” thing.

18 hours ago, SimplyChunk said:

So Nvidia’s website is dead too.  Interesting.  Good thing I bought an AMD video card and didn’t notice.

18 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Why do you need their website to setup the new router?  What exactly breaks on the website?

I just cleared all cookies, went to asus.com, rejected cookies, I don't see any issues.

That depends what they were trying to do on the website.  If they were trying to do anything that needs to login to an ASUS account then that inherently needs cookies, how else are you supposed to maintain a login session?

Cookies are not evil, tracking cookies are and I use Firefox which blocks most tracking.

Because it’s where they keep their advanced security settings.  I need to turn off WPS (as it is not secure)  and a bunch of other stuff and I need the website to do that.  Without that website I’ve got a functionally insecure product here which cannot safely be used.

If one does not accept all cookies there is no looking at the website at all.  There is a full bar (which a lot of companies don’t do btw) with greyed out nonclickables and there is no option other than a accepting  cookies or leaving.  So I left.

Cookies are not inherently evil.  But they can be made so.  Which means some of them will be.

18 hours ago, aDoomGuy said:

Thats dumb, yeah. But why not just create a VM or a Linux boot USB or just delete them when you're done?

Because my router would still be insecure.

18 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

Cookies from ASUS, which can be deleted later, is a silly reason to waste an hour and a half, incur cost of driving to return it, and then the economic/environmental penalty of the return.  The user is creating this problem for themselves, and then complaining.

Is it stupid for ASUS to do it this way?  Yes.  Is it stupid to double down on the stupidity and refuse the simple solution?  Yes.

It is true I should have looked up everything and not bought it in the first place, but the router is literally useless to me unless I can secure it.  What does it matter if it goes in my trash or the place where I bought it?

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I think the best investment here would be to consult a professional about your paranoia.

Also how are you using this forum without cookies?

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

2 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

I think the best investment here would be to consult a professional about your paranoia.

Also how are you using this forum without cookies?

I hit the little x.  My machines are all set to reject all cookies.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

I hit the little x.  My machines are all set to reject all cookies.

If you block cookies on this website you can't even stay logged in. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

8 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

If you block cookies on this website you can't even stay logged in. 

I will check my settings.  

seems it is “enhanced tracking protection, strict”.  Which apparently breaks the asus site but not this one.  Seems I am not blocking all cookies and am not even allowed to.

Edited by Bombastinator

Can you post a screenshot of the cookies that you refuse to accept?  The context of what exactly you are doing.

I think perhaps you are confused about what cookies are and what they do.  Because what you are saying doesn't really make sense.

53 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So Nvidia’s website is dead too.  Interesting.

No it isn't and it actually functions fine without cookies i was just using it as what would be a stupid example IF they did do it that way

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

two things here:

- research before you buy stuff. the router and WAP i bought recently have a 2004 level 'simple HTML' configuration interface. hardware under the hood is state of the art, just none of the 'use the app to configure' garbage.

- the more paranoid you get about the whole cookies / javascript / etc. mess, the more stuff starts to break. despite what the makers of the relevant plugins will tell you.. these are all technologies that are necessary to make some sutff *work*. if you're gonna do a blanket ban on all cookies and javascript.. expect shit to break, and refer to the above research.

1 hour ago, ToboRobot said:

Can you post a screenshot of the cookies that you refuse to accept?  The context of what exactly you are doing.

I think perhaps you are confused about what cookies are and what they do.  Because what you are saying doesn't really make sense.

Notice it doesn’t say cookies from this site or only or something like that.  It just says “cookies”.  You have to go farther to find out that it’s any cookie.  They want cookie protections off. There’s this huge thing about their cookies, and how necessary and innocuous they are, but it’s not just their cookies I have to accept.  

AE51C0F5-2810-4493-9171-3531A8E58C4E.png

Edited by Bombastinator

11 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Notice it doesn’t say cookies from this site or only or something like that.  It just says “cookies”.  You have to go farther to find out that it’s any cookie.  They want cookie protections off. There’s this huge thing about their cookies, and how necessary and innocuous they are, but it’s not just their cookies I have to accept.  

as required by law, ASUS has to prompt you about the cookies they (optionally) use on their site.

you can either accept their terms, or click the settings buttons to adjust your choices.

the settings are generally either 3 choices:

- required: the cookies the website needs to.. y'know WORK. (this includes the cookie that stores your choice.)

- functional: cookies that serve the functionality of the website, but arent strictly necessary (for example, storing your shopping cart, storing your login, etc.)

- optional:: this is where the ads live.

or you get the 'full D move special' where you have to explicitly disable EVERY ad partner cookie manually, this is usually only done by news websites and the like, and iirc it may actually be illegal in the EU at this point.

i REALLY dont see your problem here. you're looking right past the solution, to find a problem to complain about.. in fact, any websites that dont do this should be your real problem.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

as required by law, ASUS has to prompt you about the cookies they (optionally) use on their site.

you can either accept their terms, or click the settings buttons to adjust your choices.

the settings are generally either 3 choices:

- required: the cookies the website needs to.. y'know WORK. (this includes the cookie that stores your choice.)

- functional: cookies that serve the functionality of the website, but arent strictly necessary (for example, storing your shopping cart, storing your login, etc.)

- optional:: this is where the ads live.

or you get the 'full D move special' where you have to explicitly disable EVERY ad partner cookie manually, this is usually only done by news websites and the like, and iirc it may actually be illegal in the EU at this point.

i REALLY dont see your problem here. you're looking right past the solution, to find a problem to complain about.. in fact, any websites that dont do this should be your real problem.

Their choices are “essential” and “analytics or other” with the option of “allow all” or “save settings”

“all” is not defined though.

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Their choices are “essential” and “analytics or other” with the option of “allow all” or “save settings”

So pick “essential” and then “save settings.” Jesus christ.

17 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

“all” is not defined though.

"essential" is stuff they NEED for the site to work

"analytics or other" are ad partners, user tracking (to see what segments of the site they use), and the like.

"all" means everything they implemented on the site is turned on. expect "all" to be EVERYTHING IMAGINABLE.. because these days.. it usually is for corporate websites. last time i saw a website define 'all' it was some 200-odd cookies. the reason why they dont define this is quite simple: no one cares. you arent going to choose wich sort of tracking you're fine with. the only two sensible options are "everything on" if you dont care or "everything off" if you do care.

"save settings" means you can most likely turn those above two on or off, and you can turn them off and click "save" for the site to remember this.

you're making this SO INCREDIBLY difficult, because asus made it easy on you.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

What are you trying to do on the ASUS website?

Why didn't you run into this issue before you bought the product during your pre-purchase research?

5 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

What are you trying to do on the ASUS website?

Why didn't you run into this issue before you bought the product during your pre-purchase research?

Well arguably nothing since they won’t even let me look at it.  What I WANTED to do is figure out where the advanced settings are so I could make this thing secure enough to use.  It didn’t occur to me that I wouldn’t be allowed access to them.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Well arguably nothing since they won’t even let me look at it.  What I WANTED to do is figure out where the advanced settings are so I could make this thing secure enough to use.  It didn’t occur to me that I wouldn’t be allowed access to them.

Things tend to get complicated when you make things harder for yourself and ignore advice. 

Hope you figure it out, or seek some help.

4 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

Things tend to get complicated when you make things harder for yourself and ignore advice. 

Hope you figure it out, or seek some help.

It’s a case of capitulate or to not capitulate.  Right back atcha with the insinuation that I’m crazy though.

What? I don't get what's the problem. I have an old Asus router and for the first time configuration, I need to enter to router.asus.com, or enter the router's IP, which comes in the paperwork. When you do that, you connect DIRECTLY to the router. Therefore, you're not going to be asked for any cookies since they are not required. Once there you can configure anything you want. 

I also have a Linksys router which works the same way, so I think that's pretty standard. 

Also, as many others have stated, not all cookies are bad. Cookies main reason to exist is to store your preferences (If you switch to dark mode, if you wish to stay logged in, a meta cookie to store your choice of not allowing tracking cookies,.etc.). The reason you're being asked which cookies you want is because some privacy European regulation, if I recall correctly. That pop up asking you to configure which ones you want is your friend , not your enemy.

13 minutes ago, CBojorges said:

What? I don't get what's the problem. I have an old Asus router and for the first time configuration, I need to enter to router.asus.com, or enter the router's IP, which comes in the paperwork. When you do that, you connect DIRECTLY to the router. Therefore, you're not going to be asked for any cookies since they are not required.

Its not that cookies aren't used when accessing the router, they are necessary to maintain your login session in a way that doesn't make it easy for someone looking over your shoulder or a screenshot to expose you to session hijacking.  Using cookies to maintain the session id was a security improvement so people didn't copy/paste a URL and accidentally hand over their active login session.

Its that those cookies are only being used between you and the router so there is no legal requirement to ask your permission.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7