Project Farm Ratcheting screwdriver review with LTT screwdriver

PeachyUwUSenpai

Managed to struggle my way through the shouting, but it was quite amusing to see the LTT screwdriver's magnet isn't quite as good as others despite all the fuss made about it!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

6 minutes ago, crazzp said:

I can hear the silence of the LTT screwdriver critics.

Clearly, they are all working overtime to purchase the PB Swiss tool.

5 minutes ago, crazzp said:

I can hear the silence of the LTT screwdriver critics. @Imbadatnames care to enlighten us with your amazing wisdom on magnetism of how crap LTT's is? 

Sadly i don't at this point all the informations been out there for awhile and people still threw around miss information wildy. if they weren't convinced by now i don't think anything can convince them

1 minute ago, ToboRobot said:

Clearly, they are all working overtime to purchase the PB Swiss tool.

honestly i dont even think the pb swiss should've been in the rankings at all doesn't have internal bit storage completely different tool class in my opinion or at least had points docked for it

4 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

Managed to struggle my way through the shouting, but it was quite amusing to see the LTT screwdriver's magnet isn't quite as good as others despite all the fuss made about it!

Didnt they come in second to only the PB swiss at 2x the money? Thats a pretty good showing anyways

Just now, Alaradia said:

honestly i dont even think the pb swiss should've been in the rankings at all doesn't have internal bit storage completely different tool class in my opinion 

That is your opinion, and the great thing is that people can pick and choose which information matters to their specific use case.  

Not everyone needs internal bit storage, and may find the features of that tool are worth the cost.

1 minute ago, Alaradia said:

honestly i dont even think the pb swiss should've been in the rankings at all doesn't have internal bit storage completely different tool class in my opinion or at least had points docked for it

Im actually glad it was included though. It just barely edged out the ltt driver at over double the money and as you said, no internal bit storage. But if they didnt include it than people would still talk about how its way better. At least now we have the numbers to use in comparison 

9 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

LTT screwdriver was second place with 89.9 the third place with 69.8 a 20 gram difference. it beat all of them but the pbswiss which is 144 dollars and no internal bit storage

9 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

The product category is ratchetting screwdrivers so excluding the PB Swiss for no internal bit storage would be a bit strange. Also quite a few people mentioned the PB Swiss in the lead up and it was missing from the pop up shop so personally I’m glad it was included.

1 minute ago, Ultraforce said:

The product category is ratchetting screwdrivers so excluding the PB Swiss for no internal bit storage would be a bit strange. Also quite a few people mentioned the PB Swiss in the lead up and it was missing from the pop up shop so personally I’m glad it was included.

well seeing as 13 of the 14 screw drivers that were included had internal bit storage i would say Portable ratcheting screwdrivers (aka ones with internal bit holders) was the actual category since Wera has ratcheting screwdrivers withought bit holders and they weren't included in the video and im pretty sure almost every one of those brands also have ratcheting screwdrivers withought bit holders that were excluded so it was a odd addition

8 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

Eh, it was brought up a few times recently in threads for its locked position backlash performance so I am glad it was included. To me, the locked position is completely pointless in a ratcheting screwdriver. Just get a regular screwdriver. Especially when the PB Swiss doesn't have any bit storage. What interested me was the ratchet performance. It looks like LTT did a great job with.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

20 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

LTT screwdriver was second place with 89.9 the third place with 69.8 a 20 gram difference. it beat all of them but the pbswiss which is 144 dollars and no internal bit storage

They came half way down the pack in the bit retention (or whatever it's called, my stress levels are too high to rewatch!) category, which is what Linus seems to keep going on about the most though!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

Wow that guy is the best tool reviewer in youtube. LTT should be proud.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

I've never bought any LTT merch until the backpack and the screwdriver and had never visited the forum at all until very recently either (only to see comments/reviews of these two products). What I find interesting and that seems to get a little lost in the discussion is that LTT isn't a tool company at all -- this is way out of their wheelhouse.  Sure, they've licensed some IP for the screwdriver, but have made enough modifications to be able to call it their own.  Between the handle and the mechanism, they're showing some real engineering prowess on their very first outing.  To be able to basically stand up to PB Swiss and pretty much lay the smack down on a number of dedicated and highly experienced tool companies (granted significantly lower priced) is pretty freaking impressive.  Hats off and kudos to their team. 

For my usage, the LTT screwdriver looks to be the best overall package and quality for the price, so the best overall value as well.  I like nice stuff usually buying 'the best' and could buy the PB Swiss if I wanted (in fact have it saved on my Amazon tools list), but don't see the need anymore.  At least not until I can actually use the LTT screwdriver and see how it works in practice for a few months.  If anything, from what I've seen so far, I have a feeling I'll be buying a 2nd one to leave at the house while the first lives in my daily IT go bag (backpack).  Between this, a Leatherman Surge+, a dedicated box knife and cable making kit, I'm set for the majority of tools I need on a day to day basis at the datacenter or customer site.  Super excited to retire my current bag and build out my new daily carry with the screwdriver. 

1 hour ago, crazzp said:

I can hear the silence of the LTT screwdriver critics. @Imbadatnames care to enlighten us with your amazing wisdom on magnetism of how crap LTT's is? 

It’s literally worse than the mega pro at double the cost. The only “positive” it does have is shorter bits for magnetism which cost pennies to buy separately anyway and forces you to buy standard bits if you want to be able to use one set of bits with all tools. Personally I have a 200+ part set with around 150 bits that I use for a screwdriver or impact driver. 

Also disagree with the backdrag sentiment. You don’t want a fuckton but you don’t want a tiny force either. Mainly due to durability in the mechanism. Considering the LTT had really bad movement when supposedly locked and broke fairly easily compared to the rest I would assume that’s why. This would be a massive issue down the lien as the mechanism starts to wear. 

All in all they’ve made the mega pro worse and made it less durable. Well done them. 

1 hour ago, yolosnail said:

They came half way down the pack in the bit retention (or whatever it's called, my stress levels are too high to rewatch!) category, which is what Linus seems to keep going on about the most though!

Ya they were 6th, but 3-6 was so close it was almost interchangeable. I think at the end of the day any thing over the 1000 mark (ltt was 1201) should have zero issue with the bits coming out of the driver and remaining with the screw, so hes not wrong in saying that the bits stay in the driver, just turns out that there are a number of drivers that wouldnt have that issue either. Once think I didnt pay attention to is are the drivers above them using the standard short  bits as well or were some of them the double sided ones or the ones where the entire shaft housed the bits because those drivers are a different level. Thats why the PB Swiss one is so impressive in that regard, for it to also use short bits and have that kinda retention is amazing.

1 minute ago, Imbadatnames said:

It’s literally worse than the mega pro at double the cost. The only “positive” it does have is shorter bits for magnetism which cost pennies to buy separately anyway and forces you to buy standard bits if you want to be able to use one set of bits with all tools. Personally I have a 200+ part set with around 150 bits that I use for a screwdriver or impact driver. 

Also disagree with the backdrag sentiment. You don’t want a fuckton but you don’t want a tiny force either. Mainly due to durability in the mechanism. Considering the LTT had really bad movement when supposedly locked and broke fairly easily compared to the rest I would assume that’s why. This would be a massive issue down the lien as the mechanism starts to wear. 

All in all they’ve made the mega pro worse and made it less durable. Well done them. 

You're and idiot. There is independent testing right in front of you proving you wrong and you still act like an uneducated simpleton, good job.

5 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

image.thumb.png.dacbea8e5fb663267c5bdb024c3b54d6.png
Literally only place its worse... is slop when its a non ratcheting screwdriver?

And when abused in the video, Megapro failed at 28.5 NM, LTT failed at 33.3

Megapro may be better value, but im sorry what?image.thumb.png.d4b6c058c0210150513b56f54ed1ccac.png
image.thumb.png.51c95deb38e49cee0fd66d282c087757.png

You have the data right in front of you in the video, why lie?

33 minutes ago, sl1200mk2 said:

I've never bought any LTT merch until the backpack and the screwdriver and had never visited the forum at all until very recently either (only to see comments/reviews of these two products). What I find interesting and that seems to get a little lost in the discussion is that LTT isn't a tool company at all -- this is way out of their wheelhouse.  Sure, they've licensed some IP for the screwdriver, but have made enough modifications to be able to call it their own.  Between the handle and the mechanism, they're showing some real engineering prowess on their very first outing.  To be able to basically stand up to PB Swiss and pretty much lay the smack down on a number of dedicated and highly experienced tool companies (granted significantly lower priced) is pretty freaking impressive.  Hats off and kudos to their team. 

For my usage, the LTT screwdriver looks to be the best overall package and quality for the price, so the best overall value as well.  I like nice stuff usually buying 'the best' and could buy the PB Swiss if I wanted (in fact have it saved on my Amazon tools list), but don't see the need anymore.  At least not until I can actually use the LTT screwdriver and see how it works in practice for a few months.  If anything, from what I've seen so far, I have a feeling I'll be buying a 2nd one to leave at the house while the first lives in my daily IT go bag (backpack).  Between this, a Leatherman Surge+, a dedicated box knife and cable making kit, I'm set for the majority of tools I need on a day to day basis at the datacenter or customer site.  Super excited to retire my current bag and build out my new daily carry with the screwdriver. 

I do think though that at least from what I can tell for the products that they are going for there is effort for the LTT merchandise side with Creator Warehouse to move from being mostly clothing and more so variety of items for lifestyle of someone who considers themselves to be tech enthusiasts, given the backpack, magnetic cable management solutions, exploring getting their own cables and the screwdriver. The results of this and initial impressions for the backpack is in my mind the first steps if they want to have their business be trusted in tech related merchandise having products that are pretty good and aren't just upsold licensed products is important.

I think personally I might wait for the Jeff Geerling video as well before deciding as well as try and learn a bit more to get a better idea if I might just not want a ratcheting screwdriver but it seems promising from this.