Project Farm Ratcheting screwdriver review with LTT screwdriver

PeachyUwUSenpai

For the people who want to argue how bits are stored, as to which is best, by all means make your own decision. Some people have always bits on them, and don't care for it in the handle, others prefer a open pocket where they can dump other stuff in, and others will prefer a handle like megapro made.

It's a personal choice, just like where your preferences are.

The screwdriver has proven itself here, the claims Linus made, how easy it is to ratchet etc, is proven to be the best.

Should you care? Well no, you can make your own decison what works best for your use case. But the screwdriver did proof itself, LTTs claims were backed up, and objectively it's 1 of the best you can get, and depending on use case, it can absolutely be the best. I think for purpose it was made, it seemingly is the best.

So that leaves price, which is absolutely fair, and is again personal choice. Personally I don't think it's best bang for buck, but it does what it promises and think it's a very worthy choice.

That said, fans will defend everything to no end, and haters will shit on it because it won't last 5 minutes as a pry bar.

Will I buy 1? Still undecided, but it's definitely a contender.

The LTT did awesome. I think if you want to support LMG and are from the US/CA it’s also a good value quality tool. 

For those on the fence due to shipping costs to EU or just price in general a couple of pointers based on the video comments:

Megapro has an automotive version at a similar price that had a strong magnet and is great value to performance. 

The PB Swiss one tested many noted is a 20 bit set version that comes in a case which altogether makes it a bad value in this test. Apparently there is a version that’s the same that includes a 12 bit storage in the handle that is also quite cheaper.

2 hours ago, GameRetro said:

The LTT did awesome. I think if you want to support LMG and are from the US/CA it’s also a good value quality tool. 

For those on the fence due to shipping costs to EU or just price in general a couple of pointers based on the video comments:

Megapro has an automotive version at a similar price that had a strong magnet and is great value to performance. 

The PB Swiss one tested many noted is a 20 bit set version that comes in a case which altogether makes it a bad value in this test. Apparently there is a version that’s the same that includes a 12 bit storage in the handle that is also quite cheaper.

The mega pro is very over prices in EU, the pb swiss ,wera or wiha are probably the way to go for EU, the prices dont make sense in NA. If i was in NA LTT or mega pro seem like the best option imo

56 minutes ago, Geneleco said:

The mega pro is very over prices in EU, the pb swiss ,wera or wiha are probably the way to go for EU, the prices dont make sense in NA. If i was in NA LTT or mega pro seem like the best option imo

It's not available atm, but the one from the video is listed at 45 euro.

RATCHETING 13-IN-1 MULTI-BIT SCREWDRIVER - MegaProTools

People need to realize that it is a high-torque screwdriver that can go over 2 N-m way too casually. 
Unless you are doing a farm project, don't use this screwdriver on electronic components. 
Better get some proper screwdrivers like PB 1113 ESD for computers to avoid over-torque and static electricity. 

1 hour ago, MonitorFlicker said:

People need to realize that it is a high-torque screwdriver that can go over 2 N-m way too casually. 
Unless you are doing a farm project, don't use this screwdriver on electronic components. 
Better get some proper screwdrivers like PB 1113 ESD for computers to avoid over-torque and static electricity. 

Static discharge is of very little relevance when it comes to modern computers and over torqueing is a matter of using common sense when building a computer

What this review is missing is all those cheap $20 screwdrivers that would underperform and make many of these tools looks even better. 

59 minutes ago, Kastnerd said:

What this review is missing is all those cheap $20 screwdrivers that would underperform and make many of these tools looks even better. 

Well they had the Amazon basics one, that was pretty cheap and crap

7 hours ago, Kastnerd said:

they had two of those, or did you not actually watch it?

On 9/6/2022 at 12:26 PM, Ravendarat said:

Static discharge is of very little relevance when it comes to modern computers and over torqueing is a matter of using common sense when building a computer

Good luck replacing replacing the ILM. This screwdriver is as good as dissembling the power supply which you deficiently don't do. 

19 minutes ago, MonitorFlicker said:

Good luck replacing replacing the ILM. This screwdriver is as good as dissembling the power supply which you deficiently don't do. 

use of torque screwdriver if you are that spooked of over torqueing (which look... you are wrong to be, you can use a sharpie). I'm honestly lost on your point here, ANY non torque screwdriver that skips at low torques is absolutely useless.

Also dude what the fuck are you doing with a PSU that makes you scared of static with your screwdriver? Static blows up low voltage chips, not transformers, ground yourself. screwdriver doesnt matter.

7 hours ago, starsmine said:

use of torque screwdriver if you are that spooked of over torqueing (which look... you are wrong to be, you can use a sharpie). I'm honestly lost on your point here, ANY non torque screwdriver that skips at low torques is absolutely useless.

Also dude what the fuck are you doing with a PSU that makes you scared of static with your screwdriver? Static blows up low voltage chips, not transformers, ground yourself. screwdriver doesnt matter.

It's not a PC screwdriver. What the fuck?

7 hours ago, starsmine said:

I think for ILM he means the CPU socket tool that Intel has?

I would have been able to actually find this thread earlier, resulting in a rather rude incident, but I'm still glad to see this thing tested. ...though I didn't realize some things like how the tips were shorter. Not sure the engineering decision behind that one. Still glad to see that it does have a stout magnet on it just the same. Still, I did look for this thread and didn't find it. 

I think the screw driver came out pretty good. I was expecting top30% in testing but it actually is arguably the best one out of the group.

It was not priced amazingly but fair. You pay top money for top performance.

It might not be the best tool for everyone because people have preference regarding the bit storage mechanism. I myself would prefer longer handle so I can put longer bits inside, but that is personal preference.

I'm not going to buy it purely because I already own 2 other ratcheting screwdrivers. Don't feel like replacing tools that are not broken, but will definitely consider them when the time comes.

52 minutes ago, Rusty Proto said:

I would have been able to actually find this thread earlier, resulting in a rather rude incident, but I'm still glad to see this thing tested. ...though I didn't realize some things like how the tips were shorter. Not sure the engineering decision behind that one. Still glad to see that it does have a stout magnet on it just the same. Still, I did look for this thread and didn't find it. 

The engineering thought was they said they were able to get stronger magnetic hold on it by putting less material between the magnet and the screw although based on testing it seems like PB Swiss got a stronger hold while using standard bits. And the second reason was to fit 12 bits instead of 6 inside the handle without making it larger

The PB Swiss is a much more expensive screwdriver, so they probably engineered a magnet to concentrate the field in the bit, whereas most just stick a neo magnet in the socket. My only gripe with the special tips, though, is that I wear them out on a semiregular basis, so I would need to be able to find replacements. Are those available yet, or am I stuck buying an entire tool? Still, I am glad to see the tip is quite grippy, as that is one of the metrics by which a screwdriver should be measured, both magnetically and to torque.

39 minutes ago, Rusty Proto said:

The PB Swiss is a much more expensive screwdriver, so they probably engineered a magnet to concentrate the field in the bit, whereas most just stick a neo magnet in the socket. My only gripe with the special tips, though, is that I wear them out on a semiregular basis, so I would need to be able to find replacements. Are those available yet, or am I stuck buying an entire tool? Still, I am glad to see the tip is quite grippy, as that is one of the metrics by which a screwdriver should be measured, both magnetically and to torque.

https://www.lttstore.com/collections/accessories/products/bits

seeing a bit lazy on clicking scew driver link to show bits.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

Jeff Geerling has also posted his review, and used different tests to compare the LTT screwdriver to other brands.  Still scores decently.

edit ...  and right after I posted I see there's actually a separate thread with the video. My bad, sorry.

On 9/6/2022 at 10:27 AM, MonitorFlicker said:

Just... don't go ham on every screw you drive with it?

What's stopping any manual screwdriver from going over 2 N-m, besides the bit breaking or the shaft rounding out its hole in the handle on cheap ones?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

8 hours ago, Rusty Proto said:

Bit sets are available on lttstore.com https://www.lttstore.com/products/bits?variant=39857025122407

But you can also use whatever 1/4" bits you want.

42 minutes ago, that_dude said:

Maybe all the europeans work overtime to pruchase the LTT-store tool.

In europe you can buy the PB swiss (with [shitty] bit storage) for $48 while the LTT screw driver after tax and shipping cost $105.

I could buy 2 PB swiss and a doner kebab for the price of one LTT.

European perspectives in an American Centric world don't matter too much unfortunately..

12 hours ago, that_dude said:

Wiha is a good manufacturer with good support but I do not think they make ratchet screwdrivers. They have there wired speede but that's it.

If you don't need the ratcheting feature, put up with the 6mm bits and terrible bit holder, the Wiha Liftup might be worth it.

Do you mean they don't make any good ratchet screwdrivers? If so, I might can agree, but I do carry a Wiha as my daily driver, though it does leave a lot to be desired.

12 hours ago, that_dude said:

In europe you can buy the PB swiss (with [shitty] bit storage) for $48 while the LTT screw driver after tax and shipping cost $105.

I could buy 2 PB swiss and a doner kebab for the price of one LTT.

It's the opposite here, as noted by the prices quoted in the video. I'm guessing import duties tear them up in both directions. Would you pay $181 for a ratcheting screwdriver?

https://www.amazon.com/PB-Swiss-Tools-8510R-100-Twister/dp/B0036W6RIS/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2EQM1U2FZG3VA&keywords=pb+swiss+ratcheting+screwdriver&qid=1662687957&sprefix=pbsw%2Caps%2C91&sr=8-2

17 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Just... don't go ham on every screw you drive with it?

What's stopping any manual screwdriver from going over 2 N-m, besides the bit breaking or the shaft rounding out its hole in the handle on cheap ones?

Nothing. it was such a weird point to make. 
If they care about going over 2Nm, they need to either learn the feel, or get a torque screwdriver.