Project Farm Ratcheting screwdriver review with LTT screwdriver

PeachyUwUSenpai
5 hours ago, Kid.Lazer said:

Or if you really want it to hold, crossthread is better than loctite any day.

Ye olde one way bolt technique.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

16 hours ago, Kid.Lazer said:

Or if you really want it to hold, crossthread is better than loctite any day.

It's not cross threaded if you just keep going and re-thread it all the way! If it ain't turning then you aren't turning it hard enough.

Also when did screwing in PC screws get so serious? Are lives literally on the line? This is the stuff that pushes people away from PC building not encourages them to give it a go.

49 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Also when did screwing in PC screws get so serious?

After the LTTdriver got a warranty and favorable independent reviews, and it became obvious enough people saw enough value in it to not care about the price tag.

There has to be something wrong with it, so the goalposts shifted to "oh well yeah but you can overtighten screws with it".

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

My complaint is that the magnetism rankings should have been shifted a bit to spread the gap. The magnetism of the PB Swiss is other-worldly in comparison to all the other drivers. It feels weird for it to only be one point ahead of the LTT at such a big difference
it would not have changed the ranking order but it is one of the main strong points over the megapro so it stands out to me as just padding. if you ignore magnetism all together, the LTT gets 4.2 and the non magnetic megapro 4.4. swiss gap lowers by .1 for 3.8

also disclaimer: I work on laptops and phones daily, I have no use for such a large screwdriver. I'm in this to see if LTT makes a smaller driver next.

4 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

After the LTTdriver got a warranty and favorable independent reviews, and it became obvious enough people saw enough value in it to not care about the price tag.

There has to be something wrong with it, so the goalposts shifted to "oh well yeah but you can overtighten screws with it".

The bulky shape makes it instantly wrong in the first place. It's obvious to see. 

Funny I haven't seen comparison videos between a regular 20mm grip vs 30mm grip on electronics from these independent reviews.  It's obvious which is better lol.

And people think these independent reviews become a source of "authority" on every aspect. 

52 minutes ago, MonitorFlicker said:

The bulky shape makes it instantly wrong in the first place. It's obvious to see. 

Funny I haven't seen comparison videos between a regular 20mm grip vs 30mm grip on electronics from these independent reviews.  It's obvious which is better lol.

And people think these independent reviews become a source of "authority" on every aspect. 

Doesn’t seem like the shape is obviously wrong to most people here, just you. So… maybe you’re just on a personal crusade to hate this screwdriver. That’s fine, everyone needs a hobby. 

2 hours ago, Harvey-Specter said:

Doesn’t seem like the shape is obviously wrong to most people here, just you. So… maybe you’re just on a personal crusade to hate this screwdriver. That’s fine, everyone needs a hobby. 

To the most people they drive a Prius just fine. I cannot wait for LTT saying this screwdriver makes every other screwdriver obsolete.

On 9/12/2022 at 7:57 AM, MonitorFlicker said:

Funny it is you who can't address anymore points by derailing the topic to ratchet mechanism. The tools I have are more than you think. There are specific tools for specific jobs. 

Obviously You don't even have a set of torque screwdrivers. The all-in-one you have, you hyped, you defended like this LTT screwdriver is usually the worst. 

What a prefect engineering solution to solve the torque by adding a ratchet mechanism lol. 

Again, I have no doubt you can feel the torque with a power grip since you have screwed 100,000x more sensitive components. What's more, a rachet magically makes you screw 0.5Nm better lol.

Actually I do have torque drivers, and they aren't used on large scale electronics like computers specifically because they are NOT the right tool for the job. Ever wonder why you don't see them at industry backroom tours? It's because computer components aren't as sensitive as you crazily think they are. Also I'm talking about the ratchet mechanism specifically because YOU were complaining about the diameter(something that doesn't matter with torque drivers that's precision drivers which are very different tools) and then moved the goal post to the grip being apparently uncomfortable when I pointed out that shaft turning is about the same as using a precision driver...which is odd because you can actually use your pinking and ring finger to stabilize the driver which you can't do with precision drivers. I'm not derailing. You are moving the goal post and then when I address you're new goal post you go "bububu stop derailing!"

I'll also say I also have multiple sets of precision drivers and none of them are used on computers either again because they are not the right tool for the job. Modern computers and servers were in fact built for use with "power grip"...the fact that you keep throwing that term around shows how little you know since a power grip is an angled or T shaped handle to give extra leverage. What you call a power grip is actually JUST a STANDARD driver. And computers were designed with standard drivers in mind. And no torque driver could do the trick. You ever notice that there's a small pop when you undo brand new expansion card screws? that's because they are what's called machine set. A granular torque driver will overload and a precision driver will fail to deliver the leverage needed to back these screws out. now a higher set torque driver prolly could do it but that's basically the same as using a ratcheting or fixed driver.

I also would love you to point where I simped for the LTT driver. You can't quote me can you? Cause I bloody well didn't.

22 minutes ago, MonitorFlicker said:

To the most people they drive a Prius just fine. I cannot wait for LTT saying this screwdriver makes every other screwdriver obsolete.

...you are delusional. Linus himself has already gone on record saying that it's not the end all be all replace every driver driver. You got a real hate boner on while declaring everyone else fanboys.

Considering how well the Megapro scored, it seems like the logical choice over spending double on the LTT screwdriver.  IMHO, the Klein finished fairly well middle-of-the-pack for even less ($20).

If I'm spending over $50 on something like this, i would want variable clutch or some type of torque-sensing apparatus. 

1 minute ago, IPD said:

Considering how well the Megapro scored, it seems like the logical choice over spending double on the LTT screwdriver.  IMHO, the Klein finished fairly well middle-of-the-pack for even less ($20).

If I'm spending over $50 on something like this, i would want variable clutch or some type of torque-sensing apparatus. 

Honestly if you like the backforce of the Megapro get it. Linus said as much himself. Linus like most of us was just tired of ratchet drivers that back out machine screws since they have such low friction. The Megapro is apt to be very good but you'll have that constant backing out of machine case screws. It's up to you if the extra 30USD is worth the time you'll save not having to manually screw every case screw in the future.

38 minutes ago, MeidoShinshi said:

...you are delusional. Linus himself has already gone on record saying that it's not the end all be all replace every driver driver. You got a real hate boner on while declaring everyone else fanboys.

Funny It is you are delusional. LTT just uses a general screwdriver design with a approval of minor/limited modifications. It was never made for electronic components in the very first place. How come this 30mm powergip is a better PC screwdriver than 20mm. It's fine you use it to over torque lol

49 minutes ago, MeidoShinshi said:

Actually I do have torque drivers, and they aren't used on large scale electronics like computers specifically because they are NOT the right tool for the job. Ever wonder why you don't see them at industry backroom tours? It's because computer components aren't as sensitive as you crazily think they are. Also I'm talking about the ratchet mechanism specifically because YOU were complaining about the diameter(something that doesn't matter with torque drivers that's precision drivers which are very different tools) and then moved the goal post to the grip being apparently uncomfortable when I pointed out that shaft turning is about the same as using a precision driver...which is odd because you can actually use your pinking and ring finger to stabilize the driver which you can't do with precision drivers. I'm not derailing. You are moving the goal post and then when I address you're new goal post you go "bububu stop derailing!"

I'll also say I also have multiple sets of precision drivers and none of them are used on computers either again because they are not the right tool for the job. Modern computers and servers were in fact built for use with "power grip"...the fact that you keep throwing that term around shows how little you know since a power grip is an angled or T shaped handle to give extra leverage. What you call a power grip is actually JUST a STANDARD driver. And computers were designed with standard drivers in mind. And no torque driver could do the trick. You ever notice that there's a small pop when you undo brand new expansion card screws? that's because they are what's called machine set. A granular torque driver will overload and a precision driver will fail to deliver the leverage needed to back these screws out. now a higher set torque driver prolly could do it but that's basically the same as using a ratcheting or fixed driver.

I also would love you to point where I simped for the LTT driver. You can't quote me can you? Cause I bloody well didn't.

Look at this statement "components aren't as sensitive" lol. 

Where does the Intel ILM requirements comes form? Where does the EK block specifications come from lol?

You screw your PC like your Prius, you won't get the higher performance not mentioning you are paying how much this lol?   

28 minutes ago, MonitorFlicker said:

Where does the Intel ILM requirements comes form? Where does the EK block specifications come from lol?

Every cooler other than outliers and super cheap nasty ones are designed to prevent over torquing on the actual CPU/GPU mount, I hope you do realize this? Over torque risk is relegated basically only to the other screws around the boards and these are also threaded to a depth to prevent any real damage that is of concern so long as you use only the provided original screws.

Can we please just stop, PC components aren't this sensitive and the ones that care are mass production lines used by the likes of Dell/HP/Lenovo which all use their own designs and specifications and have a need to ensure every screw is tightened the same across scales of millions of computers, not your home DIY builder.

17 minutes ago, MonitorFlicker said:

Look at this statement "components aren't as sensitive" lol. 

You screw your PC like your Prius, you won't get the higher performance not mentioning you are paying how much this lol?   

Well lets start, everyone has known that ILM was crap for decades and also under standard use case does not involve screwing anything. EK block once again is not by any stretch a standard use case. In corporate deployment (which is 99% of computers on the bloody market) you're not using an overcooked cooler. And it doesn't matter if the screwdriver isn't made for hte parts. Except for edge cases (which you seem obsessed with like you don't know what a computer actually is) the computers themselves are designed for "power grip" once again you show you are ignorant as a standard handle is not "power grip" that is...once again pistol grip or tbar grip. both of those are classed as power grip, standard shank driver handle is NOT.

25 minutes ago, MonitorFlicker said:

Funny It is you are delusional. LTT just uses a general screwdriver design with a approval of minor/limited modifications. It was never made for electronic components in the very first place. How come this 30mm powergip is a better PC screwdriver than 20mm. It's fine you use it to over torque lol

You are definitionally delusional. You are talking about LTT taking a stance literally inverse to that which they have already put forward. You are so focused with your hate boner that you completely ignore reality. And yeah they licensed and made tweaks to a design? Not sure how I'm delusional for recognizing reality...can you keep up? Show me where I said this was a revolutionary driver please...Oh wait that's right you can't. You can't actually do anything except for argue from bad faith.

53 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Every cooler other than outliers and super cheap nasty ones are designed to prevent over torquing on the actual CPU/GPU mount, I hope you do realize this? Over torque risk is relegated basically only to the other screws around the boards and these are also threaded to a depth to prevent any real damage that is of concern so long as you use only the provided original screws.

Can we please just stop, PC components aren't this sensitive and the ones that care are mass production lines used by the likes of Dell/HP/Lenovo which all use their own designs and specifications and have a need to ensure every screw is tightened the same across scales of millions of computers, not your home DIY builder.

Don't buy a super cheap one to improve performance.

2 hours ago, IPD said:

Does ANYONE make a tool like you want for that low of a cost? I cant think of a ratcheting screwdriver with a variable clutch for anything close to the price of any of these tested drivers including the PB Swiss, but maybe I just havent seen it?

5 hours ago, MonitorFlicker said:

As I'm rather pedantic myself (being a bit of a pedant is even a large portion of my job), a great lesson to learn is to know when you're technically correct, yet it doesn't matter. 

Does every screw size, pitch, and material have a proper torque spec? Yes. Does it matter for screwing in a motherboard, some fans, a cooler, or even most other electronic components in consumer electronics? No. There is a time and place for things.

20mm grip is still way easy to overtorque something like a 6-32 screw. Does it feel more comfortable to you? Sweet, use it. 30mm is comfortable for me, as I'm guessing for a number of other people. I also like jeweler's style screwdrivers and iFixit drivers for tight places. They're just not as comfortable for me to "daily drive". 

I think what you're missing from what people are trying to say is this isn't to say you can't use a torque wrench you send out on schedule to be calibrated to assemble your computer. By all means, go for it. But just know it's not necessary for everyone else to do the same. 

1 hour ago, MeidoShinshi said:

Well lets start, everyone has known that ILM was crap for decades and also under standard use case does not involve screwing anything. EK block once again is not by any stretch a standard use case. In corporate deployment (which is 99% of computers on the bloody market) you're not using an overcooked cooler. And it doesn't matter if the screwdriver isn't made for hte parts. Except for edge cases (which you seem obsessed with like you don't know what a computer actually is) the computers themselves are designed for "power grip" once again you show you are ignorant as a standard handle is not "power grip" that is...once again pistol grip or tbar grip. both of those are classed as power grip, standard shank driver handle is NOT.

58 minutes ago, MeidoShinshi said:

You are definitionally delusional. You are talking about LTT taking a stance literally inverse to that which they have already put forward. You are so focused with your hate boner that you completely ignore reality. And yeah they licensed and made tweaks to a design? Not sure how I'm delusional for recognizing reality...can you keep up? Show me where I said this was a revolutionary driver please...Oh wait that's right you can't. You can't actually do anything except for argue from bad faith.

Funny people think it is a "bad" faith. I point out it is not a PC screwdriver. It goes over 2Nm way too casually while a 20mm grip can do a much better job on electronic components.  I cannot wait to see how people defend 30mm has better control than 20mm lol .

1 minute ago, MonitorFlicker said:

Funny people think it is a "bad" faith. I point out it is not a PC screwdriver that go over 2Nm way too casually while a 20mm grip can do a much better job on electronic components.  I cannot wait to see how people defend 30mm has better control than 20mm lol .

Its not about doing a better job as long as the screw goes in and stays in place and holds the thing properly it works. i've built computers with all grip sizes and have built ALOT of them and not one has failed due to screws everything from home computers to servers that are still in service to this day a screws a screw the only 2 ways to mess it up is either don't put in enough so it jiggles out or overdrive it so hard and so purposefully you literally cause the board to audible creak than crack or gouge the board. any thing between those 2 is a successful screw placement at least for computer components.

16 minutes ago, ProbablyNotFidel said:

Does every screw size, pitch, and material have a proper torque spec? Yes. Does it matter for screwing in a motherboard, some fans, a cooler, or even most other electronic components in consumer electronics? No. There is a time and place for things.

You are wrong right here. It matters especially on cooling components with balanced pressure. Why do you think ILM has problems in the first place if the pressure is balanced? Imagine replacing your 10C higher crooked Intel ILM with a LTT screwdriver end up causing more imbalanced pressure lol.
Funny people don't see a problem until it's too late.    

Just now, MonitorFlicker said:

You are wrong right here. It matters especially on cooling components with balanced pressure. Why do you think ILM has problems in the first place if the pressure is balanced?
Funny people don't see a problem until it's too late.    

Yeah, if I'm hard mounting something, I'm going to likely use a torque wrench. If I'm using a cooler solution that uses spring tension, I'm just going by the manufacturer's installation instructions. 

Again, time and place.

1 hour ago, MonitorFlicker said:

Funny people think it is a "bad" faith. I point out it is not a PC screwdriver. It goes over 2Nm way too casually while a 20mm grip can do a much better job on electronic components.  I cannot wait to see how people defend 30mm has better control than 20mm lol .

The bad faith is literally that you're constantly dancing around the goal post from torque to precision (two very distinct categories) to grip comfort and back all without ever acknowledging that you're points have been shown to be flawed. It's bad faith because you define a "PC" as the most edge case scenarios not what will be found in 99% of builds on earth. It's bad faith because you like to talk up like you're the most expertly trained one here and yet you don't actually know what the hell power grip means when it's got a proper cross industry definition. It's bad faith because you continually lie about what others say, accusing someone of simping for a driver simply for pointing out that you are wrong about weather precision drivers and/or torque drivers (you can't even make up your mind here indicating you've likely never used either and don't know the difference) are absolutely necessary(or even advantageous) for the majority of computer builds. It's bad faith because you actually literally lied about Linus' stance about weather the LTT screwdriver is a replace all drivers driver. Do I need to go on?

In reality if you are doing a build that needs a torque driver or precision driver.. guess what? If you aren't an idiot you're using that/those PLUS a standard fixed or ratcheting driver. Because yeah the majority of computer hardware LITTERALLY was designed for fixed drivers. I'll only use a precision driver for m.2 and even that's not necessary on most builds thanks to toolless retention. As for torque drivers? in the off chance that I'm doing a crappy cooling build that literally needs precise torque (as was pointed out most water installs even don't have precise torque requirements) then I'll be using that, but for most of the machine screws? I'll be using the tool they were made for, standard fixed/ratcheting drivers and or nutdrivers. And this is why you come off like someone who doesn't know what they are talking about, you talk like there should only be one tool on your bench but when working with electronics there is rarely just one tool on the bench. Unless you're a total newb. 

Edit: Also worth pointing out your point of "30 mm has better control than 20mm" has been addressed plenty of times, when you use your back fingers to hold the main grip and use a precision driver grip on the shaft you get the precision of a precision driver(cause the shaft basically is one) only without the hand cramping from having to claw grip just that tiny driver and constantly realign it.

But again if you need a precision driver guess what? Linus literally said you should be pairing his driver (if you choose to buy it) with an IFixIt kit. He literally said not to use JUST it. The only person who seems dim enough to use only one tool here is you.

47 minutes ago, MeidoShinshi said:

The bad faith is literally that you're constantly dancing around the goal post from torque to precision (two very distinct categories) to grip comfort and back all without ever acknowledging that you're points have been shown to be flawed. It's bad faith because you define a "PC" as the most edge case scenarios not what will be found in 99% of builds on earth. It's bad faith because you like to talk up like you're the most expertly trained one here and yet you don't actually know what the hell power grip means when it's got a proper cross industry definition. It's bad faith because you continually lie about what others say, accusing someone of simping for a driver simply for pointing out that you are wrong about weather precision drivers and/or torque drivers (you can't even make up your mind here indicating you've likely never used either and don't know the difference) are absolutely necessary(or even advantageous) for the majority of computer builds. It's bad faith because you actually literally lied about Linus' stance about weather the LTT screwdriver is a replace all drivers driver. Do I need to go on?

In reality if you are doing a build that needs a torque driver or precision driver.. guess what? If you aren't an idiot you're using that/those PLUS a standard fixed or ratcheting driver. Because yeah the majority of computer hardware LITTERALLY was designed for fixed drivers. I'll only use a precision driver for m.2 and even that's not necessary on most builds thanks to toolless retention. As for torque drivers? in the off chance that I'm doing a crappy cooling build that literally needs precise torque (as was pointed out most water installs even don't have precise torque requirements) then I'll be using that, but for most of the machine screws? I'll be using the tool they were made for, standard fixed/ratcheting drivers and or nutdrivers. And this is why you come off like someone who doesn't know what they are talking about, you talk like there should only be one tool on your bench but when working with electronics there is rarely just one tool on the bench. Unless you're a total newb. 

Edit: Also worth pointing out your point of "30 mm has better control than 20mm" has been addressed plenty of times, when you use your back fingers to hold the main grip and use a precision driver grip on the shaft you get the precision of a precision driver(cause the shaft basically is one) only without the hand cramping from having to claw grip just that tiny driver and constantly realign it.

But again if you need a precision driver guess what? Linus literally said you should be pairing his driver (if you choose to buy it) with an IFixIt kit. He literally said not to use JUST it. The only person who seems dim enough to use only one tool here is you.

Funny 99% case is you over torque with your oversized screw driver. You denied the 20mm has much better control over 30mm.

Then you said you actually need to buy two sets of screwdriver for PC components lol while 20mm can do more jobs than 30mm. 
What is the definition of a proper tool if your screwdrivers is not going to handle the task lol.  

Better look back at your initial defense. I have no doubt you screwed 100,000x more torque sensitive components.