Project Farm Ratcheting screwdriver review with LTT screwdriver

PeachyUwUSenpai

I would not be surprised if LMG makes the attempt to make a pro version with improvements based on this video's testing methods. If they don't I would still be satisfied buying one of these screwdrivers.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

The new screw driver was put to the test.  Watch how it performed.

34 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

It’s literally worse than the mega pro at double the cost. The only “positive” it does have is shorter bits for magnetism which cost pennies to buy separately anyway and forces you to buy standard bits if you want to be able to use one set of bits with all tools. Personally I have a 200+ part set with around 150 bits that I use for a screwdriver or impact driver. 

Also disagree with the backdrag sentiment. You don’t want a fuckton but you don’t want a tiny force either. Mainly due to durability in the mechanism. Considering the LTT had really bad movement when supposedly locked and broke fairly easily compared to the rest I would assume that’s why. This would be a massive issue down the lien as the mechanism starts to wear. 

All in all they’ve made the mega pro worse and made it less durable. Well done them. 

it what way is the ltt screwdriver worse then the megapro. also if you have a 200 part set your probably better off with a ratcheting screwdriver withought bit storage

I do feel the need to point out that the snap on driver they picked has interchangeable shafts which makes them getting 4th in shaft wobble kind of impressive

2 hours ago, crazzp said:

I can hear the silence of the LTT screwdriver critics. @Imbadatnames care to enlighten us with your amazing wisdom on magnetism of how crap LTT's is? 

They're probably out actually using their tools. 😆

Anyway the LTT screwdriver is surprisingly good,though you could spend half and buy the Megapro or Williams and still have a very good ratcheting screwdriver.

Several threads posting the project farm video merged together. Some basic etiquette when posting to a forum is to check if there's already an existing discussion before posting. While I appreciate your enthusiasm we don't need 7 separate threads sharing the same video.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just want to point out for the pb swiss ratchet comes in 2 versions (+ a few more sizes)

image.thumb.png.4e0f953c38b001f4720e8dbf578ca8c9.png

PB 6510 R-100

and

image.thumb.png.f3c017cc91418e1282746673bcfec842.png

PB 8510 R-100

also the pricing is quite different in EU The PB 8510 R-100 with no bits can be had for under 60 euros(with 20 bits its 100 euros) and the PB Swiss Tools  6510.R-100 with 10 bits can be had for under 75 euros

This could make it a better option for some people in EU due to shipping from LTT store

42 minutes ago, Geneleco said:

Just want to point out for the pb swiss ratchet comes in 2 versions (+ a few more sizes)

image.thumb.png.4e0f953c38b001f4720e8dbf578ca8c9.png

PB 6510 R-100

and

image.thumb.png.f3c017cc91418e1282746673bcfec842.png

PB 8510 R-100

also the pricing is quite different in EU The PB 8510 R-100 with no bits can be had for under 60 euros(with 20 bits its 100 euros) and the PB Swiss Tools  6510.R-100 with 10 bits can be had for under 75 euros

This could make it a better option for some people in EU due to shipping from LTT store

I bought a pocket sized PB 6510 R-30 for 27€ a little while back. It has been great. Especially great value.  The place I bought it from has a lot of pb swiss on clearance and I bought about 30 different pb swiss drivers for home and work. They seemed like they had been sitting in a warehouse for a long time (little bit of dust and surface rust on a few) looking at the other products they carry its the only high end brand on the site so their usual customers probably didn't go for them and they finally just want to get rid of them. I just checked and they still have a few things in stock. 

https://aurymat.com/produto/chave-pontas-com-roquete-pb-6510-r-30-swisstools/

2 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

It’s literally worse than the mega pro at double the cost. The only “positive” it does have is shorter bits for magnetism which cost pennies to buy separately anyway and forces you to buy standard bits if you want to be able to use one set of bits with all tools. Personally I have a 200+ part set with around 150 bits that I use for a screwdriver or impact driver. 

Also disagree with the backdrag sentiment. You don’t want a fuckton but you don’t want a tiny force either. Mainly due to durability in the mechanism. Considering the LTT had really bad movement when supposedly locked and broke fairly easily compared to the rest I would assume that’s why. This would be a massive issue down the lien as the mechanism starts to wear. 

All in all they’ve made the mega pro worse and made it less durable. Well done them. 

"Personally I have a 200+ part set with around 150 bits that I use for a screwdriver or impact driver. "
... then you dont need a ratcheting screwdriver with self storing 6 or 12 bits, which means your opinion ... and perpensity to auto-hate pretty much anything about this tool just doesnt mean as much.  Your biased to your 150 bits, so your not the customer here.

Im sure the team will look at 2.0 - ing the screwdriver once they go through the stock they have, in a year or 2, with lessons learned here incorporated into it ... but you gotta admit, for their first time out in this field ... they did pretty darn good.  Nothing wrong with being in the top few of this review.

What I find interesting is many of the negative comments here and elsewhere, seem to be pretty much from people who just cant bring themselves to being positive or at least honest about anything, and literally dont care if LTT is 'competing' with manufacturers that have been doing this for decades..  These commenters seem much more interested in the sound of their own keyboard.

3 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

The only “positive” it does have is shorter bits for magnetism which cost pennies to buy separately anyway

This post is all FUD. And suggesting that the magnetic strength of the LTT isn't a "positive" just because people can hang a magnet off the end of a worse screwdriver is so stupid. Nobody buys a screwdriver that doesn't do the job and then modifies it with an additional magnet, they just buy a magnetic screwdriver to begin with.

4 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

It’s literally worse than the mega pro at double the cost.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you really need a reality check when it comes to reading numbers.  The only thing Mega pro beat them in was rotational slop.

Then again, you are the person who tried arguing that the energy to "boil water" meant calculating the energy it takes to boil a pot dry so there wasn't water left.

Overall the screwdriver looks pretty good, although not sure that it justifies a 2x price over Mega Pro; as I'm sure most people would be more than satisfied by that...but to each there own.   I could understand that someone using a ratchet screwdriver a lot throughout the day might want to invest in one of these

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

6 hours ago, Alaradia said:

Video is finally out been very excited for it.

Wow you guys are fast lol. I love this test channel. My boss already bought us all ltt screwdrivers at our IT office. Good job LTT team

Honestly, it's either the LTT driver or the Megapro after watching this. Neither are a bad choice IMO

LTT makes a fine driver. MegaPro also exhibits a fine showing, and for just around the house, seems to be right in the $/perf sweet spot. 

For PC building, that low backdrag from the LTT driver is extremely useful. Though I think that, unless I start building PCs for a living, I see a MegaPro in my future. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

6 hours ago, sl1200mk2 said:

Between this, a Leatherman Surge+, a dedicated box knife and cable making kit, I'm set for the majority of tools I need on a day to day basis at the datacenter or customer site.  Super excited to retire my current bag and build out my new daily carry with the screwdriver. 

Only thing missing from your kit is a decent flashlight. Might I recommend a Zebralight? Large range of brightnesses, and their buck and boost drivers are quite efficient. 

My eyes see the past…

5 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

I would not be surprised if LMG makes the attempt to make a pro version with improvements based on this video's testing methods. If they don't I would still be satisfied buying one of these screwdrivers.

This was something I was wondering as well. Hoping he addresses the idea in the WAN show this week.

"BuT a $15 ScReWdRiVeR iS jUsT aS gOoD, yOu GuYs!!1!one"

Glad to see a reputable tool reviewer put the LTTdriver through its paces. He seemed to give it a little more B-roll attention than the others (in a "hey guys look it's the LTT screwdriver!" kind of way*), but his actual tests were performed fairly.

Looks like it accomplishes its goal of being a great screwdriver for the majority of do-it-yourselfers who aren't rebuilding ship engines every day.

* It's good for crossover audience engagement, I get it.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Project Farm is known for doing pretty thorough and unbiased reviews.  They decided to review ratchet screwdrivers and tested the new LTT screwdriver with and impressive review.  GREAT JOB LTT!!!!  Hope you got enough in stock for the masses.

I did a detailed search for this already, but couldn't find it.  If this is duplicated on the forum, please remove this post.

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Only thing missing from your kit is a decent flashlight. Might I recommend a Zebralight? Large range of brightnesses, and their buck and boost drivers are quite efficient. 

Absolutely! You're not wrong at all, but I also didn't list every single thing I daily carry.  When I said 'tools', I meant it in more the traditional sense (e.g. screwdrivers, pliers, crimpers, knives and the like).  I absolutely do carry a flashlight in my bag.  Maybe not the best choice overall, but I really like it especially for one reason.  It has a magnetic base that I can easily attach to most anything, but working frequently in a datacenter, it's incredibly easy to attach inside a server rack or onto the cabinet door. 

Nebo Work Light:  https://www.amazon.com/NEBO-Bright-Magnetic-Hands-Free-Lighting/dp/B088MJNK23/

That said, it's not my choice for a home or otherwise EDC flashlight, but I do really like how it's rechargeable and dimmable.  I've got two of them and they're great for how I'm using them. 

I don't know these forums at all, but even before your post and thinking about what I carry, it might be an interesting OT thread for IT pro's to list what they carry daily.  I keep the majority of things in a backpack, but also have another bag with less used items in the car.  The backpack has all sorts of dongles, converters, adapters, slim ethernet cables, external drives and lots of other things.  Highly doubt I'm unique and it would be interesting to hear what others carry and how I might optimize.  

2 minutes ago, sl1200mk2 said:

I don't know these forums at all, but even before your post and thinking about what I carry, it might be an interesting OT thread for IT pro's to list what they carry daily.  I keep the majority of things in a backpack, but also have another bag with less used items in the car.  The backpack has all sorts of dongles, converters, adapters, slim ethernet cables, external drives and lots of other things.  Highly doubt I'm unique and it would be interesting to hear what others carry and how I might optimize.  

There's an every day carry thread already. It was pretty popular for a while but hasn't got much love recently, feel free to revive the thread though, I'm sure there's plenty of people who have updates on what they carry.

18 minutes ago, Doramius said:

I did a detailed search for this already, but couldn't find it.  If this is duplicated on the forum, please remove this post.

There's been a bunch of posts for it already. Merged in with the thread in the LTT Merch section.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

20 minutes ago, sl1200mk2 said:

Absolutely! You're not wrong at all, but I also didn't list every single thing I daily carry.  When I said 'tools', I meant it in more the traditional sense (e.g. screwdrivers, pliers, crimpers, knives and the like).  I absolutely do carry a flashlight in my bag.  Maybe not the best choice overall, but I really like it especially for one reason.  It has a magnetic base that I can easily attach to most anything, but working frequently in a datacenter, it's incredibly easy to attach inside a server rack or onto the cabinet door. 

Nebo Work Light:  https://www.amazon.com/NEBO-Bright-Magnetic-Hands-Free-Lighting/dp/B088MJNK23/

That said, it's not my choice for a home or otherwise EDC flashlight, but I do really like how it's rechargeable and dimmable.  I've got two of them and they're great for how I'm using them. 

For close range work, reading, and wandering around the house (without killing my night vision), I use an Emisar D4V2 with a set of Nichia E21a LEDs in 2700K. Has a magnetic base as well, and the light output is damn close to incandescent tint. Super floody with no hotspot, so it’s perfect for working on computers and such. 

My eyes see the past…

10 hours ago, yolosnail said:

They came half way down the pack in the bit retention (or whatever it's called, my stress levels are too high to rewatch!) category, which is what Linus seems to keep going on about the most though!

To be fair, it was still a good showing for bit retention. It wasn't an even distribution. Some of the ones further down had really bad retention. It's just that bit retention was relatively good for most, and the LTT screwdriver just wasn't quite as good as some. Still not bad, and it's not like it's going to be falling out or anything as a normal thing.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

The one thing that I wish was mentioned/tested though in the video

What happens when you use it in an enclosed space.  While this might seem like a silly example, it happens a lot and the fact that Linus chose to have the ratchet mechanism reversed means that as you turn to tighten something (in an enclosed space) you are putting pressure on the ratchet spin mechanism the wrong way.

i.e. Turning right, you rub the ratchet mechanism left.  That in turn switches the ratchet while trying to tighten/loosen something.

I get why Linus wanted it the way he does, but I really suspect that it's a major oversight (that will have real world usecases where the ratchet get changed while trying to use it)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

7 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

To be fair, it was still a good showing for bit retention. It wasn't an even distribution. Some of the ones further down had really bad retention. It's just that bit retention was relatively good for most, and the LTT screwdriver just wasn't quite as good as some. Still not bad, and it's not like it's going to be falling out or anything as a normal thing.

Honestly, what with how short the bits are, this might be a good thing. Too much bit retention and they become difficult to take out, particularly if wet, oily, or greasy.