Project Farm Ratcheting screwdriver review with LTT screwdriver

PeachyUwUSenpai
On 9/8/2022 at 5:13 AM, Needfuldoer said:

Just... don't go ham on every screw you drive with it?

What's stopping any manual screwdriver from going over 2 N-m, besides the bit breaking or the shaft rounding out its hole in the handle on cheap ones?

I tell you clearly that you cannot tell the difference between 0.5N-m, 1N-m, 1.5N-m, 2N-m with a screwdriver like this.  You will over torque easily.

Most pc components doesn't even require torque over 1N-m. 

So don't even think about using this screwdriver on GPU water block and such. 

10 minutes ago, MonitorFlicker said:

I tell you clearly that you cannot tell the difference between 0.5N-m, 1N-m, 1.5N-m, 2N-m with a screwdriver like this.  You will over torque easily.

You didn't answer my question.

How is that different from any other non-torque-limiting manual screwdriver?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

2 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

You didn't answer my question.

How is that different from any other non-torque-limiting manual screwdriver?

An actual electronic screwdriver has a much smaller handle diameter between 8-20 mm for greater precision control unlike a power grip like LTT's 30mm. 

When you hands feel the tightness from a power grip, it's already over 2N.m

49 minutes ago, MonitorFlicker said:

An actual electronic screwdriver has a much smaller handle diameter between 8-20 mm for greater precision control unlike a power grip like LTT's 30mm. 

Yeah, it’s too bad the screwdriver doesn’t have a narrower part to turn the bits with. 

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

52 minutes ago, MonitorFlicker said:

That's, what the knurling is for.

4 hours ago, starsmine said:

That's, what the knurling is for.

There isn't much fine control to tip the rest of the weight. It's uncomfortable to use. And you can still over torque.  It's not a proper tool. 
That EK screwdriver is better than this when dealing with computers. 

2 hours ago, MonitorFlicker said:

There isn't much fine control to tip the rest of the weight. It's uncomfortable to use. And you can still over torque.  It's not a proper tool. 
That EK screwdriver is better than this when dealing with computers. 

have you used a ltt screwdriver?

On 9/5/2022 at 4:26 AM, Cavalry Canuck said:

Honestly, what with how short the bits are, this might be a good thing. Too much bit retention and they become difficult to take out, particularly if wet, oily, or greasy.

That's where a regular bit (actually this may be an impact-rated bit) you just grip the narrow part and can rip it out no matter how strong the magnet is:

image.png.64bdf2f30bd3572217c19bb1ed650716.png

(Although the screwdrivers that use these have a C clip that retains the bit stronger than any magnet can)

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

4 hours ago, Alaradia said:

have you used a ltt screwdriver?

I have a similar power grip PB 8451 10-30 M ESD. It is used for server racks with longer mounting bolts such as 10-32 x .63 in.(1.60 cm) Philips screw that requires 3.5 Nm.  

General PCs screws all under 1N.m. 

This kind of screwdriver was never designed for PC components in the first place. 

14 hours ago, MonitorFlicker said:

I have a similar power grip PB 8451 10-30 M ESD. It is used for server racks with longer mounting bolts such as 10-32 x .63 in.(1.60 cm) Philips screw that requires 3.5 Nm.  

General PCs screws all under 1N.m. 

This kind of screwdriver was never designed for PC components in the first place. 

Um...you do know that you don't need to use the handle right? you grip it while turning the shaft using it's built in knurling and it's the same as so called precision screw drivers only unlike them doesn't result in hand cramping since your entire hand isn't cast in the claw hold...

that driver you linked is not "similar" by any means. it has no knurling(if you don't know what this word means you should go look it up.) and the shaft is super short. So it's not usable the way the LTT driver is for precision low force work.

26 minutes ago, MeidoShinshi said:

Um...you do know that you don't need to use the handle right? you grip it while turning the shaft using it's built in knurling and it's the same as so called precision screw drivers only unlike them doesn't result in hand cramping since your entire hand isn't cast in the claw hold...

that driver you linked is not "similar" by any means. it has no knurling(if you don't know what this word means you should go look it up.) and the shaft is super short. So it's not usable the way the LTT driver is for precision low force work.

Funny how inefficient, how twisted the fingers have to be 👌 to work with knurling instead of a proper size handle.

Your hands normal feeling of torque is no longer there. 

And you can still over torque when tipping extra weight.  

Again, this kind of screwdriver was never designed for PC components in the first place.

Better use the right tool for the right job. At least PB Swiss driver has its shape patented for different purposes. 

Also, when it comes down to the details like knurling, better talk you've dealt with them before.

11 hours ago, MonitorFlicker said:

Funny how inefficient, how twisted the fingers have to be 👌 to work with knurling instead of a proper size handle.

Again, this kind of screwdriver was never designed for PC components in the first place.

Better use the right tool for the right job. At least PB Swiss driver has its shape patented for different purposes. 

Also, when it comes down to the details like knurling, better talk you've dealt with them before.

you cant in good faith make critiques on the efficiency and if your fingers would be twisted unless you've used it which you haven't
yeah but over torque pc components on consumer systems isn't really a problem since brands dont expect people to have torque meters. every screwdriver has a different feeling of torque so the knurling having a different feeling of torque is just about learning the driver which is standard. i've built literally hundreds of computers never has torque been a issue and ive built computers with some massive drivers since that was all the was lying around. i've yet to have any systems fail related to overtorque. overtorque is more of a issue mechanical wise then computer component wise at least in the consumer space

1 hour ago, Alaradia said:

you cant in good faith make critiques on the efficiency and if your fingers would be twisted unless you've used it which you haven't
yeah but over torque pc components on consumer systems isn't really a problem since brands dont expect people to have torque meters. every screwdriver has a different feeling of torque so the knurling having a different feeling of torque is just about learning the driver which is standard. i've built literally hundreds of computers never has toque been a issue and ive built computers with some massive drivers since that was all the was lying around. i've yet to have any systems fail related to overtorque. overtorque is more of a issue mechanical wise then computer component wise at least in the consumer space

Have you ever dealt with knurling or been trained to feel the torque of each screwdriver with a different diameter and weight when the specified torque needs to be readjusted the moment it feels off?  

There is a standard for screws and screwdrivers. It's the little details that matter. 

I'm not surprising the demonstration of LTT's own video shows how funny it is that he uses a power grip on a thumbscrew for the side panel or the GPU rack that is supposed to be hand-tight. The thumbscrew has knurling itself for hands. I have seen many cases where the thumbscrews like this over-torqued on GPU racks to the point the slot is stripped. The slot for the screwdriver on the thumbscrew is only needed when hands cannot do the initial alignment. So it needs a slight higher torque.

Untitled.png

Not saying LTT didn't put tons of effort and passion to design it the way they think. 

It can be improved into another precision version for the actual pc components. These little details matter even more on a higher-end product like this. 

1 hour ago, MonitorFlicker said:

I've mained a screwdriver like linus built only LESS DIALED IN for the fine control without issue for decades on fine retro micro electronics which are 100000x more torque sensitive than a PC case or server rack will ever be. You are coming off like someone with no industry experience acting like the machine screws inside of consumer and server computers are these delicate things. But even more than that as stated I've mained a knurled shaft screwdriver for retro micro electronics which are insanely sensitive to torque, ever crack a 70 year old plastic screwpost by applying less force than it takes to move a feather? Yeah...and I had no issues once I got the feel for the driver which again was far less dialed in than this driver.

The fact that you are using a PBSwiss as your baseline of how useable shaft turning is...it says alot considering the PBSwiss is the one rated as having the very stiffest shaft...no wonder you have issues.

4 hours ago, MeidoShinshi said:

I've mained a screwdriver like linus built only LESS DIALED IN for the fine control without issue for decades on fine retro micro electronics which are 100000x more torque sensitive than a PC case or server rack will ever be. You are coming off like someone with no industry experience acting like the machine screws inside of consumer and server computers are these delicate things. But even more than that as stated I've mained a knurled shaft screwdriver for retro micro electronics which are insanely sensitive to torque, ever crack a 70 year old plastic screwpost by applying less force than it takes to move a feather? Yeah...and I had no issues once I got the feel for the driver which again was far less dialed in than this driver.

The fact that you are using a PBSwiss as your baseline of how useable shaft turning is...it says alot considering the PBSwiss is the one rated as having the very stiffest shaft...no wonder you have issues.

Funny there is actual torque screwdrivers made when dealing with your" 100,000" x more sensitive electronics or whatever,

10 hours ago, MonitorFlicker said:

Have you ever dealt with knurling or been trained to feel the torque of each screwdriver with a different diameter and weight when the specified torque needs to be readjusted the moment it feels off?  

There is a standard for screws and screwdrivers. It's the little details that matter. 

I'm not surprising the demonstration of LTT's own video shows how funny it is that he uses a power grip on a thumbscrew for the side panel or the GPU rack that is supposed to be hand-tight. The thumbscrew has knurling itself for hands. I have seen many cases where the thumbscrews like this over-torqued on GPU racks to the point the slot is stripped. The slot for the screwdriver on the thumbscrew is only needed when hands cannot do the initial alignment. So it needs a slight higher torque.

Untitled.png

Not saying LTT didn't put tons of effort and passion to design it the way they think. 

It can be improved into another precision version for the actual pc components. These little details matter even more on a higher-end product like this. 

Yep i have knowledge of it for precision machines i've taken apart and have used screwdrivers with knurling. thing is it seems your missing is the fact is if you require a specific Torque You use a torque limiter/meter on devices that actually need specific torque you don't just wing it withought risking injury or severe issues. building a consumer computer isn't that most of the time thumb screws are overtorqued from the factory and if you strip one of thoose thumb screws its not because of the screwdriver its because there a idiot.
in the end none of that matters though you can just use pliers to remove it nothing will actually break other then maybe scuffing your gpu mount. also in the end if you really care you can literally buy torque limiter bits......

5 hours ago, MonitorFlicker said:

Funny there is actual torque screwdrivers made when dealing with your" 100,000" x more sensitive electronics or whatever,

Funny thing, you should use that if you are so bad with hand feel rather then making baseless claims about this screwdriver or any screwdriver.

Every claim you make has me question your knowledge base more and more.

"Over torquing" a case screw means... absolutely nothing, nothing meaningful breaks, you might bend the panel at most, make it hard to take off. you are not torqueing to yield.
like Alaradia said, "Overtorque is more of a issue mechanical wise then computer component wise"

With the ILM you brought up before, or with cooler mounting, again its a false argument from you, 
you hit resistance and you go. ok cool, we done. you can feel that with the knurling.
Which you would know... if you knew what you are talking about.

Or with Thermal grizzly, since it floats, you literally go by degrees, not torque spec

2 hours ago, starsmine said:

Funny thing, you should use that if you are so bad with hand feel rather then making baseless claims about this screwdriver or any screwdriver.

Every claim you make has me question your knowledge base more and more.

"Over torquing" a case screw means... absolutely nothing, nothing meaningful breaks, you might bend the panel at most, make it hard to take off. you are not torqueing to yield.
like Alaradia said, "Overtorque is more of a issue mechanical wise then computer component wise"

With the ILM you brought up before, or with cooler mounting, again its a false argument from you, 
you hit resistance and you go. ok cool, we done. you can feel that with the knurling.
Which you would know... if you knew what you are talking about.

Or with Thermal grizzly, since it floats, you literally go by degrees, not torque spec

Funny you know little about how to tight ILM. These guys, I assume they are your "authority", are using 90-degree turn method to visually assume 0.5Nm torque instead of feeling it with hands lol. So much for the right tool for the right job if they had a torque screwdriver. I have no doubt people can feel the torque with a power grip since they have screwed 100,000x more sensitive components. 

2 hours ago, Alaradia said:

Yep i have knowledge of it for precision machines i've taken apart and have used screwdrivers with knurling. thing is it seems your missing is the fact is if you require a specific Torque You use a torque limiter/meter on devices that actually need specific torque you don't just wing it withought risking injury or severe issues. building a consumer computer isn't that most of the time thumb screws are overtorqued from the factory and if you strip one of thoose thumb screws its not because of the screwdriver its because there a idiot.
in the end none of that matters though you can just use pliers to remove it nothing will actually break other then maybe scuffing your gpu mount. also in the end if you really care you can literally buy torque limiter bits......

Every screw requires a specific torque. All the reason why better to have a precision screwdriver to not over torque it.  It's also a lot more efficient to have a precision screwdriver or a torque screw driver for electric components within 1Nm. 

13 hours ago, MonitorFlicker said:

Every screw requires a specific torque. All the reason why better to have a precision screwdriver to not over torque it.  It's also a lot more efficient to have a precision screwdriver or a torque screw driver for electric components within 1Nm. 

not really i think your mixing up required and recommended in machines that require it its because if you don't do it the machine could break and destroy itself and or injure people around it. while on a consumer pc the screw in points are reinforced with generous trace margins since they know people will just jam it in at whatever force(within reason) so even if you under torqued or over torqued a motherboard screw or case screw nothing's going to break and no ones in danger and you'll probably strip the screw before anything bad really happens and again thats only if your being super negligent.

2 hours ago, Alaradia said:

not really i think your mixing up required and recommended in machines that require it its because if you don't do it the machine could break and destroy itself and or injure people around it. while on a consumer pc the screw in points are reinforced with generous trace margins since they know people will just jam it in at whatever force(within reason) so even if you under torqued or over torqued a motherboard screw or case screw nothing's going to break and no ones in danger and you'll probably strip the screw before anything bad really happens and again thats only if your being super negligent.

Funny a precision screwdriver just better prevents you from damaging the equipment. A better tool is the right tool. 

Better care about equipment first before leveling up the topic to personal safety on PC components with torque smaller than 1Nm.

Too many motherboard has stripped screw holes with exposed top PCB layer that results in RMA. 

stripped_2.jpg

stripped.jpg

25 minutes ago, MonitorFlicker said:

Funny a precision screwdriver just better prevents you from damaging the equipment. A better tool is the right tool. 

Better care about equipment first before leveling up the topic to personal safety on PC components with torque smaller than 1Nm.

Too many motherboard has stripped screw holes with exposed top PCB layer that results in RMA. 

stripped_2.jpg

stripped.jpg

Lol that falls under Super Negligent as i said also that first one you posted i wouldn't be surprised if some ones used a drill idiots are going to idiot. since either way they were wrenching on what ever screwdriver they were using damage like that is down to idiots not tools

17 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

Lol that falls under Super Negligent as i said also that first one you posted i wouldn't be surprised if some ones used a drill idiots are going to idiot. since either way they were wrenching on what ever screwdriver they were using damage like that is down to idiots not tools

Funny you are talking about drill operation. Do you want to derail the topic even further?

A better precision tool is designed for a reason. A power grip used for PC lol. I haven't seen so much shill defending a tool used on wrong purpose. 

21 minutes ago, MonitorFlicker said:

Funny you are talking about drill operation. Do you want to derail the topic even further?

A better precision tool is designed for a reason. A power grip used for PC lol. I haven't seen so much shill defending a tool used on wrong purpose. 

1 hour ago, MonitorFlicker said:

Spoiler

stripped_2.jpg

stripped.jpg

LMAO, did you just post a picture of someone using a drill to screw in their board as your proof?

Also holy shit, a precision screwdriver is not about being precise with your torque, its about being precise with the head and bit so you dont strip shit as things are literally micrometers or thousands in its specifications. 

No one cares if you are a few thous off when making a PH2 bit or screw, it makes all the difference in the world when you are using a PH00 bit or screw.

If you are in a situation where 1NM is required and no more (which ISNT THIS), god, I cant believe I have to repeat this, you use a torque screwdriver, NOT a precision screwdriver. You are the one using a tool for the wrong purpose if you think thats what a precision screwdriver is for. 

1 hour ago, starsmine said:

LMAO, did you just post a picture of someone using a drill to screw in their board as your proof?

Also holy shit, a precision screwdriver is not about being precise with your torque, its about being precise with the head and bit so you dont strip shit as things are literally micrometers or thousands in its specifications. 

No one cares if you are a few thous off when making a PH2 bit or screw, it makes all the difference in the world when you are using a PH00 bit or screw.

If you are in a situation where 1NM is required and no more (which ISNT THIS), god, I cant believe I have to repeat this, you use a torque screwdriver, NOT a precision screwdriver. You are the one using a tool for the wrong purpose if you think thats what a precision screwdriver is for. 

Funny they are just the work of a power grip over torque.

I cannot wait for shills like you fine tune the torque with your inferior screwdrivers. 
Again, I have no doubt people can feel the torque with a power grip since they have screwed 100,000x more sensitive components.