NVIDIA RTX 4080 and RTX 4070 Reportedly Delayed Until 2023, RTX 4090 Only 4000 Series GPU to Land in 2022

Summary

According to multiple sources, NVIDIA’s next-gen RTX 40 series graphics cards have been delayed to the first quarter of 2023, except the RTX 4090. This sentiment has been reverberated by multiple tipsters, the latest being Bits and Chips. From what we’ve heard, there are no plans for a mainstream Lovelace launch anytime soon.

Quotes

The RTX 4090 may be the only next-gen GeForce GPU to hit the solid ground this year, with the RTX 4080 and 4070 delayed to CES 2023. This is something we’ve also heard about the RDNA 3 lineup as well. According to initial rumors, the RX 7700 XT was the only SKU to launch this year, with the RX 7800 XT and 7900 XT pushed to 2023.

Although we can’t say with certainty if this news is legit, it’s looking more and more likely, as NVIDIA has been extending the production of its higher-end Ampere parts.

My thoughts

I find this rumor interesting because JayzTwoCents claimed this not too long ago (he even went as far as saying that no Ada cards were releasing until 2023 according to many of his sources in the industry). Many other news outlets continued the presumed "normal" release schedule of October-ish. But now it seems only the RTX 4090 will launch in October. It sadly does make sense because we have heard numerous claims of issues getting rid of excess Ampere inventory. Ampere prices have continued to drop over the past few months to seemingly clear stock. Then there's also the rumor of NVIDIA purportedly restarting RTX 3080 12GB production to burn through large stocks of GA102 GPUs that are remaining. If the RTX 4090 launches in October, and the RTX 4080/RTX 4070 at CES 2023; that event is in January, therefore only 3 months of waiting. 

Sources

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/nvidia-rtx-4080-reportedly-delayed-to-2023-rtx-4090-only-40-series-gpu-to-land-in-2022-rumor/

I remember Moor's Law is Dead months ago speculating that NVIDIA will likely only release the 4090 late this year and release the 4080/4070 cards in 2023 under a "delay" or something. My dude's spot on as always.

More intrigued about the RDNA3 lineup could be delayed. I think this is the best moment for AMD to "strike" at NVIDA as for the market will have a whole period nothing to fill in the gap of new releases for Q4. NVIDIA can't bring their release date forwards to counter AMD as their cards are vastly oversupplied in the market, so NVIDIA will be a sitting duck until Q1 2023. Free market share estate for AMD.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

Nobody will buy those cards,especially with global inflation and the inflated prices of the cards.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

3 minutes ago, venomtail said:

I remember Moor's Law is Dead months ago speculating that NVIDIA will likely only release the 4090 late this year and release the 4080/4070 cards in 2023 under a "delay" or something. My dude's spot on as always.

i don't watch that guy, but did he also say that they'll launch this year at some point?

if you make enough guesses, one will come true, i suppose

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

On 8/16/2022 at 10:33 AM, Moonzy said:

but did he also say that they'll launch this year at some point?

That's the usual Moore's law is dead reporting. Report every rumor, even the contradicting ones. You'll be right at some point.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

20 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

i don't watch that guy, but did he also say that they'll launch this year at some point?

Spot on. He first claimed they would all be delayed, but then went back on that prediction less than a week later, claiming the 4090 would arrive in October and the other cards would arrive by December, just like everyone else.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

19 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Still wondering about that co-processor he said 30-series would have before they launched. 🤣 Yeah, he like many in that field just throw everything up on a wall, some things are bound to stick. Guy will then act all arrogant like he is god for "getting it right".

Zen 3 Daily Rig (2022 - Present): AMD Ryzen 9 5900X + Optimus Foundations AM4 | Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti FE + Alphacool Eisblock 3080 FE | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@3733 c14) | ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB | Crucial MX500 1TB | Corsair RM1000x | Lian Li O11 Dynamic | LG 48" C1 | EK Quantum Kinetic TBE 200 w/ D5 | HWLabs GTX360 and GTS360 | Bitspower True Brass 14mm | Corsair 14mm White PMMA | ModMyMods Mod Water Clear | 9x BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 120mm PWM High Speed | Aquacomputer Highflow NEXT | Aquacomputer Octo

Test Bench: 

CPUs: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, Core i5-2400, Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS

Motherboards: ASUS Z97-Deluxe, EVGA Z490 Dark, EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin

GPUs: GTX 275 (RIP), 2x GTX 560, GTX 570, 2x GTX 650 Ti Boost, GTX 980, Titan X (Maxwell), x2 HD 6850

Bench: Cooler Master Masterframe 700 (bench mode)

Cooling: Heatkiller IV Pro Pure Copper | Koolance GPU-210 | HWLabs L-Series 360 | XSPC EX360 | Aquacomputer D5 | Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 250 | Monsoon Free Center Compressions | Mayhems UltraClear | 9x Arctic P12 120mm PWM PST

20 minutes ago, venomtail said:

More intrigued about the RDNA3 lineup could be delayed. I think this is the best moment for AMD to "strike" at NVIDA as for the market will have a whole period nothing to fill in the gap of new releases for Q4. NVIDIA can't bring their release date forwards to counter AMD as their cards are vastly oversupplied in the market, so NVIDIA will be a sitting duck until Q1 2023. Free market share estate for AMD.

AMD will only grow market share if they offer much more perf/$ than nvidia, and while they're arguably a bit better depending on exactly what you compare, it doesn't seem enough to grow. I just don't think AMD will push for share, and instead they're happy making more margin on lower numbers. If they can unquestionably capture the outright performance crown maybe halo effect would help them grow more than value.

16 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Nobody will buy those cards,especially with global inflation and the inflated prices of the cards.

nvidia Ampere cards are cheaper than ever. Earlier today I saw a new from major seller 3070 for £500, not far from UK launch MSRP of £469. Keep in mind this was an early launch product, before they increased the MSRPs. Unfortunately not seeing much of a drop on 3080 10GB where it doesn't make sense compared to paying a little more for 12GB version. Can't find UK MSRP of 12GB for comparison.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Many people will buy those cards, regardless of global inflation or the inflated prices of the cards. Look at the absolute glut of people that bought 30 series GPUs at more than double their original prices, or the daily new build thread with a $5,000+ budget to do nothing but gaming.

There are thousands of people out there to which a $2,000 GPU is chump change, and a (much) larger number of people that care more about having the best and shiniest things to brag about than making good financial decisions. The 3090 Ti is barely better than the 3080 Ti, is nearly twice the price, and people absolutely ate it up when it was new.

PC gaming, at least at the top end, is becoming a rich man's game.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

Honestly I feel like this was pretty obvious this would happen. They did the same thing when they had a oversupply of existing gen cards that still haven't sold. Also nvidia had asked tsmc to allow them to delay their Wafer allocation on the newer process node. 

Fine then, delay them

But don't be pissed when you see me waiting at the factory door before they're shipped 

Edited by Marko1600
With an AK-47 😀

As someone who intended to make a whole new build near the end of the year with a 4080 in it:

AAAHHAHHuhhiuGSUIGAUISGAUIFDGUWAIGDKUHJBDuighuiHGUIgsiugI

Bloghag

21 minutes ago, offweek said:

But now you get to use a 4090!

I'll burn your house down!

With the lemons 4090!

Actually, considering its potential power draw, that'd probably be easy to pull off.

22 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

Many people will buy those cards, regardless of global inflation or the inflated prices of the cards. Look at the absolute glut of people that bought 30 series GPUs at more than double their original prices, or the daily new build thread with a $5,000+ budget to do nothing but gaming.

There are thousands of people out there to which a $2,000 GPU is chump change, and a (much) larger number of people that care more about having the best and shiniest things to brag about than making good financial decisions. The 3090 Ti is barely better than the 3080 Ti, is nearly twice the price, and people absolutely ate it up when it was new.

PC gaming, at least at the top end, is becoming a braindead PC gamertard game.

FTFY

It comes down to using common sense. You can be filthy rich but you don't buy expensive things because you use common sense and making good financial decisions. And you can be filthy rich and you MUST buy the most expensive and shiniest items ever "to feel beloved and important" at any cost.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

On 8/16/2022 at 11:33 AM, Moonzy said:

As one gets NEW information, analysis must be redone, and the new information makes you draw new conclusions. As you get closer to a launch, more and more of that information is set in stone, less likely to change.

Like you can leak the goal specs of a next gen chip over a year in advanced, and you would be CORRECT on those being the goal specs, and often times, those are hit, but often they are changed as realities of engineering it are found out. Does that mean the leaked goal specs were false? no. 

Things get delayed to, things get pushed up, specs change, none of those by definition make previous leaks false, No, the situation changed. 

The way some people here treat information/intelligence analysis here boggles my mind. You have a thing called confidence intervals
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analytic_confidence

MLID is usually rather explicit on using those as well, but yes, its easy to take the missis on the moderate and low confidence and use that to discredit analysis even though that's honestly, more misleading then the person you are trying to discredit. 

Oh great, more waiting... All because Nvidia wants to get rid of their old stocks, without heavily discounting it while the new stuff is available to not cannibalise its own sales.

Here's hoping AMD pulls through with their new lineup. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Eh, if they want me to buy two year old crap so badly, sell me a 3080ti for $500 lol. That's about the only thing that would get me to buy Ampere at this point. Unfortunately I doubt it'll actually get that cheap, not with people like Jay making shill videos to get their bot legions to panic buy.

I'll hold out. 

The cards prices will fall and new cards will flood the market!!! I can do it. 

Do feel free to offer perspectives but following is how I see it:

nvidia can't just fire sale GPUs to clear them out because everyone will have 30 series GPUs and no need to buy 40 series. Best plan is to keep selling at market rate.

The only thing I can see that might cause a 30 series pricing adjustment is if RDNA3 launches this year. Then what that adjustment might be depends on how aggressive AMD are with pricing. If RDNA2 is anything to go by, they're not pushing at all. So I wouldn't expect that to significantly alter pricing.

Who needs a 40 series? I'd argue it is most interesting in the short term to anyone who can't get a fast enough 30 series GPU. Only the highest of high end. Below top models is more a value question, and 30 series is still more than viable at the right price.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 hours ago, porina said:

Then what that adjustment might be depends on how aggressive AMD are with pricing. If RDNA2 is anything to go by, they're not pushing at all. So I wouldn't expect that to significantly alter pricing.

AMD not only needs aggressive pricing, but also stock. RDNA2 in theory should have been competitive, yet when you look at the number of cards sold Nvidia was the clear "winner" this generation, despite both companies being able to sell anything and everything they produced for over 12 months. Which means AMD just didn't produce as many cards as their competitor.

I think AMD stretched themselves too thin trying to supply Ryzen, Radeon and consoles all on the same process node. RDNA2 cards have been practically nonexistent in some regions - many European retailers reported recieving "zero stock" of Radeon products for launch - and as such people went Nvidia as they were more available.

Hopefully AMD has got more wafers this generation to increase supply, although at least by moving to a new node RDNA3/Zen4 won't be competing with the consoles anymore.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

22 hours ago, starsmine said:

As one gets NEW information, analysis must be redone, and the new information makes you draw new conclusions. As you get closer to a launch, more and more of that information is set in stone, less likely to change.

Like you can leak the goal specs of a next gen chip over a year in advanced, and you would be CORRECT on those being the goal specs, and often times, those are hit, but often they are changed as realities of engineering it are found out. Does that mean the leaked goal specs were false? no. 

Things get delayed to, things get pushed up, specs change, none of those by definition make previous leaks false, No, the situation changed. 

The way some people here treat information/intelligence analysis here boggles my mind. You have a thing called confidence intervals
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analytic_confidence

MLID is usually rather explicit on using those as well, but yes, its easy to take the missis on the moderate and low confidence and use that to discredit analysis even though that's honestly, more misleading then the person you are trying to discredit. 

Toootally not just taking the "I play on all sides, that was I always come out on top" and "random bullshit GO!!" to heart.

elephants

Even $500 is still too much for such 2 years old RTX3080. But of course, nGreedia won't lower the prices because they are in denial.

So Jensen can stick the RTX30 where RGB lights doesn't shine.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

meh, surprise surprise.

hold off on the value products so the suckers can stock up on the expensive parts.

I've been scooping up cheap 3000 series cards to add to my new mining fleet.  It was obvious that the rumors 2 months ago that the 4000 series was upon us wasn't going to happen and I'll happily load up on people panic selling and returning their cards.   I've got a solid 3 months more of churning profit.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)