You don't get a warrantee because Linus might die at an inconvenient time

Wireless G-Spot
39 minutes ago, Fire_Burns_22 said:

That's not actually true. Most companies offer 'lifetime warranties' only as a gimmick. They either have caveats to exclude all of the ways it would fail other than straight up manufacturing defects, or they have made a calculated decision that their markup is enough to absorb the returns.

For instance, auto part stores offer parts with 'lifetime warranties' under the calculated risk that 50% of their buyers won't own the vehicle long enough to replace the part again, 25% will forget that they had a warranty and rebuy it anyway, and that they have enough markup to handle the 25% that do warranty out the parts. 
A similar example is with tools. However, more often it's focused more simply on the fact that it costs them far less than they sell it for to produce. 
The last example I will give you is with at Target with their 'Cat and Jack' children's clothing line. They offer a 'lifetime warranty' on these as well. And they're extremely generous with it. But that is because they have a large enough markup on the clothes that they can absorb the handful of people who actually take advantage of the available warranty.

I'm not arguing that warranties are useful, but the piece of paper saying it has a warranty doesn't mean the product is good, and it doesn't anything if the company behind it doesn't stand behind it. Just as there are companies like Costco that stand behind their products regardless of warranty. 

Basically this. A warranty is nice to have but only ever as useful as a company wants it to be.

I appreciate, other companies bad practises doesn't mean that you shouldn't have a warranty. Just that I'd be careful who I'd trust to honour one. 

I've had great experiences with companies who don't have a warranty / have a very basic one but have supported me with their products anyway. 

And I've had absolutely awful ones with companies trying to make it as hard as possible to make a warranty claim. 

And as for a lifetime warranty, well someone mentioned Targus earlier, who offer lifetime warranty on bags. 

Based on what they state they don't cover, this is basically only valid for manufacturing defects. It also looks like they don't replace a product more than once. So if you have a warranty issue due to a manufacturing defect shortly after purchase, your "lifetime warranty" suddenly looks a lot shorter. I know I've had bags from them in the past that lasted a year or two max before the "wear and tear" not covered made them unusable. 

I also know people who have bought windows covered under a 10 year warranty, only to find out later that this doesn't include the handles to open and close them 🤣

I'm not saying this in defence of the original stance. Genuinely don't have strong opinions on it. Just to bemoan some shitty warranty practices 😅. I can't justify the shipping costs anyway so have not bought anything from the LTTstore yet (not a complaint, shipping stuff across the world is expensive and probably should be or I'd have a mouse pad and bottle by now).

3 hours ago, yolosnail said:

For a backpack that's as great as they say it is, I honestly expect no less than a lifetime warranty.

Lifetime, means once a new model comes out and if the manufacturer is good: until warranty stock reserve of that model is empty.

It's Lifetime of the product, not your lifetime.

You want year's, ideally, as you know the exact time frame, and not a variable one (day 1 purchase has the longest warranty, last ones before new model comes out, have the shortest).

Going by years, ensures that if they are out of the model, they'll need to give your money back or send you, if you agree, the newer model (or repair your product)

7 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Lifetime, means once a new model comes out and if the manufacturer is good: until warranty stock reserve of that model is empty.

This is false.

"Lifetime warranty" is not a specific definition and it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, or even product to product.

SNAP-ON defines their "lifetime warranty" as "as long as you own the tool". Their lifetime warranty does not become null and void just because they release a new model. You can buy a SNAP-ON screwdriver today, they can discontinue that specific model and release 10 successors, and then in 50 years you could still claim a warranty replacement on your screwdriver (assuming the company is still in business). In that case, the warranty does not expire just because they stop making that model. It is in the contract.

TomTom on the other hand have (or used to have) a policy where you got "lifetime updates" to the GPS... Except in that case they did define it as the "lifetime of the product", which was usually just a couple of years before a new model made the old one "obsolete".

It all depends on what is written in the warranty. The same can be said for a time limited warranty as well. Just because it says "5 year warranty" does not mean it will cover everything that can happen with the product.

"Lifetime warranty" is more flexible because the seller can decide what they define "lifetime" as. It is not always "as long as well sell it", or "as long as we don't make a new version", but it could be those things.

A "X years warranty" is more rigid and well defined, but not necessarily better or worse. It 100% on the specific "lifetime warranty" you compare it to.

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

This is false.

"Lifetime warranty" is not a specific definition and it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, or even product to product.

SNAP-ON defines their "lifetime warranty" as "as long as you own the tool". Their lifetime warranty does not become null and void just because they release a new model. You can buy a SNAP-ON screwdriver today, they can discontinue that specific model and release 10 successors, and then in 50 years you could still claim a warranty replacement on your screwdriver (assuming the company is still in business). In that case, the warranty does not expire just because they stop making that model. It is in the contract.

TomTom on the other hand have (or used to have) a policy where you got "lifetime updates" to the GPS... Except in that case they did define it as the "lifetime of the product", which was usually just a couple of years before a new model made the old one "obsolete".

It all depends on what is written in the warranty. The same can be said for a time limited warranty as well. Just because it says "5 year warranty" does not mean it will cover everything that can happen with the product.

"Lifetime warranty" is more flexible because the seller can decide what they define "lifetime" as. It is not always "as long as well sell it", or "as long as we don't make a new version", but it could be those things.

A "X years warranty" is more rigid and well defined, but not necessarily better or worse. It 100% on the specific "lifetime warranty" you compare it to.

Yes, yes, on with the exceptions. Me too I can say how Logitech and Nintendo will gladly cover you, well pass the warranty period if you are nice on the phone, regardless of repair cost.

I can also point to wonderful examples of the reverse too, where the terms of conditions pretty much cover you for nothing, or they ask you to pay for the return shipping, and the shipping cost is more than the product new (PC optical drives, for example)

Typically, a lifetime warranty isn't as good as a precise time frame, assuming more than 1 year.

If you buy DDR3 memory today, and break 2 years down the road... good chance you won't get DDR3 module back, especially when you opt for the cheaper brands, like Kingston, despite "lifetime warranty".  If your Corsair 7-year warranty coverage PSU breaks, you'll get a new PSU or the same or better wattage/model.

No warranty, typically, offers accidental damage protection or "miss use".  This is standard, and should always be assumed unless specified.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Yes, yes, on with the exceptions. Me too I can say how Logitech and Nintendo will gladly cover you well pass the warranty period if you are nice on the phone, regardless of cost.

I can also point to wonderful examples of the reverse too, where the terms of conditions pretty much cover you for nothing, or they ask you to pay for the return shipping, and the shipping cost is more than the product new (PC optical drives, for example)

Honoring warranty in general is about how "good" or "bad" the company is. If company promises "lifetime warranty" and covers nothing, well that ain't a reason for saying "lifetime warranty" is bad, that company is bad and at that point even timed warranty means nothing. For good companies the warranty is the minimum bar, they promise that if in normal use their product breaks, they will cover it, be it for limited time or for lifetime. Then there are companies that go over that, they have internal policies that if the product breaks certain way be it misuse or not, they will cover it for the surprise of the customer or promises X year warranty but have internal policy to go over that jsut because they care for their customer.

What I have tried to argue is that without warranty, the company promises nothing, if their product breaks after a week, "that is sad, the person who promised to cover for the damage isn't at work today so tough luck, would you like to order a new one?". With warranty the company has a public, minimum, promise to cover product breakages that are caused by certain criteria. Warranty doesn't bind the company from delivering more and fixing products that broke from causes outside of the warranty promise, they can even cover product breakages completely caused by the user if they want to.

Of course there are companies that don't honor their warranty promise and will do their most to deny their customers from warranty. But that isn't because of a warranty, that is just that the company is complete garbage and treats their customers as even bigger garbage. If the company doesn't honor their warranty promise, why the **** are you even talking about them in positive way, ditch them and publicly humiliate them for being ****ing anti-consumer scum as they are.

1 hour ago, Thaldor said:

Honoring warranty in general is about how "good" or "bad" the company is. If company promises "lifetime warranty" and covers nothing, well that ain't a reason for saying "lifetime warranty" is bad, that company is bad and at that point even timed warranty means nothing. For good companies the warranty is the minimum bar, they promise that if in normal use their product breaks, they will cover it, be it for limited time or for lifetime. Then there are companies that go over that, they have internal policies that if the product breaks certain way be it misuse or not, they will cover it for the surprise of the customer or promises X year warranty but have internal policy to go over that jsut because they care for their customer.

Correct Absolutely.

I didn't convey what thoughts properly in my last post.

What I was trying to convey is don't just ask for a 'life-time warranty' on the product without going deeper into what you mean by 'life-time' and don't assume it means 'for life', as in, your life, as is typically not the case. Sure, it is better than the typical 1-year warranty, often times, but a 15-year warranty vs 'life time of the product', assuming the company is decent in its warranty coverage, is usually better. Now yes, the product might be the only model ever made, and always made. Sure, now life time is better, but typically, a company will try and sale a newer model after a few years, if not sooner.

Imo a written warranty is no better than a verbal commitment from the company. They can deny a warranty claim whenever they want and unless the customer is willing to spend more money going to court than just buying a new item, nothing will happen to the company. The customer can leave a bad review on reddit or twitter that very few people will ever see, but there will be no real consequences for a company that rejects a warranty claim. 

In this situation, whether LMG creates a formal warranty or not, this entire community is online and bad reviews and rumors spread like wildfire. The community holds LMG to a standard far above any commercial brand. IMO a warranty is not needed because the community will hold him to that standard anyways. Even if he wrote up a formal warranty that exactly replicated some commercial company warranties with all their outs and exclusions, this community will still hold him to a higher standard than those companies are held to. A written formal warranty would change nothing imo.

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Yes, yes, on with the exceptions. Me too I can say how Logitech and Nintendo will gladly cover you, well pass the warranty period if you are nice on the phone, regardless of repair cost.

That is my point...

You can't say "lifetime warranty means X" like you did because it depends on the warranty. You have to read the warranty to understand what a lifetime warranty entails. You can''t make assumptions, and you certainly can't make generalizations.

My objection was to you saying "lifetime warranties stops when a new model is released". It only does that for some lifetime warranties.

I don't have any numbers, but I wouldn't be surprised if what you are describing is actually fairly uncommon, yet you use that to generalize and say "this is how it is".

Just to clarify, my point is that we can't say "lifetime warranties means X" because it always depends on what the individual warranty claims. We can't make assumptions about a lifetime warranty because they are very flexible. A lifetime warranty can be worse than let's say a 5 year warranty, but it can also be far better.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Now yes, the product might be the only model ever made, and always made. Sure, now life time is better, but typically, a company will try and sale a newer model after a few years, if not sooner.

I agree with your second post a lot more, but this part still implies that if a company releases a new model then your old model is no longer covered by the warranty. This is not true in a lot of cases. It might be true in some, but not others. That is why you should stop saying it is the case without at the very least specifying it's "usually the case", or "for some companies, it is the case".

I don't see what the harm is in codifying their average support practices in writing. If anything, that lays their policy out in the open for us customers, and sets guidelines for customer service so they don't have to make a judgement call on every support ticket. It doesn't even need to be that complicated or restrictive. A boilerplate warranty covering material and manufacturing defects for X amount of time post-sale, excluding damage caused by abuse, neglect, or modification by the end user, should be fine.

If they're afraid they won't be able to altruistically bend this policy for edge cases, they could include a clause to the effect of "claims outside these warranty terms will be handled on a case-by-case basis at the sole discretion of Linus Media Group Inc". That would make the written warranty a baseline that "we gotcha, bro!" can go above and beyond from, rather than a ball and chain they're restricted to.

This would probably mean capital needs to be reserved to cover warranty claims (either money or a percentage of stock), and it might make logistics more complicated than "get money, send thing", but it's not like they're building these things to spontaneously combust three years and a day after they're sold. 

I don't think items like T-shirts and other light apparel, toques, notebooks, desk pads, lanyards, and cable ties need to be covered by a warranty. (When was the last time you warrantied a shirt?) A regular return policy is adequate to cover the occasional defect that didn't get caught by QC. But for items that are intended to last, like outerwear, water bottles, Backpack, and Screwdriver, I think it makes sense to offer one.

(I am not a lawyer, accountant, or an expert in warehousing and logistics.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

I don't see what the harm is in codifying their average support practices in writing. If anything, that lays their policy out in the open for us customers, and sets guidelines for customer service so they don't have to make a judgement call on every support ticket. It doesn't even need to be that complicated or restrictive. A boilerplate warranty covering material and manufacturing defects for X amount of time post-sale, excluding damage caused by abuse, neglect, or modification by the end user, should be fine.

The harm is that if somewhere along the line someone effed up and the backpack does have a flaw in it that makes most of the sold ones break in 1 - 2 years then LTT is on the hook for a potentially huge amount of money. With them them being very tight for money as of right now (at least according to Linus which is the reason why he hopes to sell plenty of backpacks and screwdrivers) this could potentially become a serious issue that could put LTT in a very tight spot.

I have no doubt in my mind that LTT will cover repairs for the average customer. But with no actual warranty in place I do have my doubts what they would do if the worst happens and there is a hidden flaw in the backpack that means a very large amount of backpacks (or screwdrivers) need to be fixed or repaired down the line. Because that is the classical 'Linus the Person' will clash with the 'Linus the Businessman' persona. What if the warranty claims actually threaten the company itself? Are you sure the 'Trust me bro' will still be a valid argument?

18 minutes ago, XWAUForceflow said:

The harm is that if somewhere along the line someone effed up and the backpack does have a flaw in it that makes most of the sold ones break in 1 - 2 years then LTT is on the hook for a potentially huge amount of money. With them them being very tight for money as of right now (at least according to Linus which is the reason why he hopes to sell plenty of backpacks and screwdrivers) this could potentially become a serious issue that could put LTT in a very tight spot.

That's a perfectly valid concern.

One thing they might be able to do is take out an insurance policy against that happening. That way they're 'just' out the premium, not left on the hook for the entire bill should every single Backpack disintegrate in the middle of year 2. (The laws might be different in Canada, but this might be possible.)

Jordan's Furniture in Massachusetts does this for their annual Red Sox sweepstakes.

https://www.wcvb.com/article/jordans-no-hitter-free-furniture-deal-making-insurance-company-nervous/36432739

(Again, not a lawyer, accountant, logistics person, blah blah blah)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

On 8/10/2022 at 11:10 PM, LIGISTX said:

Um…. No.

I am an engineer, I do actually understand how aero works. This is not at all correct, and vinyl will not alter any perceivable flow. If someone put a piece of vinyl across an intake, I don’t know what to tell you, they probably shouldn’t be working on cars. That is not a thing that happens, no one does that. I don’t want to say it’s never been done because mistakes obviously happen, but no, wrap shops don’t block heat exchanger openings, they don’t block vents, they don’t block naca ducts, etc. And putting a piece of thin film does not alter the aero of the car, or change how the flow over the body is. Most race cars actually have stickers all over them… 

And no, insulation is not at all a concern. If your car is doing any amount of cooling via radiating heat from body panels, your car is actively on fire. Production cars almost always actually have insulation under the hood and on the firewall specifically to not let engine heat get near you, the occupant.

Don’t make nonsensical arguments just to try and prove a point. Wrapping your car should not void your warranty, especially nothing beyond the paint itself (it shouldn’t void that either, but if someone really messes up and damages the clear cost, obviously there is potential grounds here for not covering the terms of the paint warranty).

Thankfully, as far as I know only Ferrari pulls crap like that and has issue with wraps and changing the look of their car - not because it actually changes anything in a negative way, they just AGGRESSIVELY go after people who “deface the Ferrari style”, which is massively anti consumer, which was the entire point I was trying to make here. Even though nothing was altered in a way that would legally void a warranty, some companies will still use their influence and relative immunity from a single persons complaints, and will void their warranty unjustly.

And trust me, I have a well developed understanding of how car cooling systems work. From experience, I can tell you putting a rather thick PPF over the entire car doesn’t alter cooling… that isn’t how aero works. Don’t let companies fool you like that, this is exactly why a company with solid believes and one which actually stand behind their products are worth buying from, and ones that will come

up with literal made up arguments to get out of warranty coverage are not ones I would support. That said, if I could afford a Ferrari, I’d likely still get one. Because if you can afford a Ferrari, your probably not all that worried about things being covered by warranty anyways… you sort of already understand what you signed up for. 

Debated posting an image, because I don’t want to be perceived as just trying to one up anyone or something. But, I promise, adding vinyl to your car does not do any of that, and letting companies wiggle out of warranty because consumers are not aware of how mechanical systems functions is bad, unfortunately it happens all the time. Besides the entire car having one massive sticker on it (more or less), compared to most track cars it only has number stickers on it, which is WAY less then normal. 

8E9A44E4-3AD8-4137-B714-2F30B446F5CB.jpeg

You really just just get it do you? You’re seeing one way of how something can be done and not seeing the countless other options both right and wrongly applied. For a start people can apply their own wrap and get it wrong and not all wraps are flat and resemble paint, for example you can get it wrapped to resemble crushed velvet, it’s not flat, it’s a fairly thick layer and it’s basically carpeting the car. Even when done correctly it’s not good for cooling. 

A muscle car isn’t the same as a super car dude. It’s nowhere near as highly strung, the cooling doesn’t work the same and the tolerances are completely different. 

1 hour ago, XWAUForceflow said:

And that is exactly how it should be!

I don't give a flying F if LMG is short of money, if they screwed up, they cover it, even if it means tanking the business.

The current stance gives them room to wriggle out of it, they should be on the hook.

Any stance other than that is just wrong, simple!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

3 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

You really just just get it do you? You’re seeing one way of how something can be done and not seeing the countless other options both right and wrongly applied. For a start people can apply their own wrap and get it wrong and not all wraps are flat and resemble paint, for example you can get it wrapped to resemble crushed velvet, it’s not flat, it’s a fairly thick layer and it’s basically carpeting the car. Even when done correctly it’s not good for cooling. 

A muscle car isn’t the same as a super car dude. It’s nowhere near as highly strung, the cooling doesn’t work the same and the tolerances are completely different. 

I’m sorry, but your incorrect. Saying putting vinyl on your car should void the warranty, while it would be something a company would attempt to say to get out of warranty repair, is absolutely not valid. This is why I am saying some companies, even with perfectly written warranties, are going to screw you anyways. 

The cooling in fact does work the same between my car and a supercar. The nice thing about cars is…. They are incredibly simple. And when you start getting serious about tracking them, they all run into the same issues, one of which is cooling. Thankfully, being simple machines, you work on ducting your airflow, and you add radiators. And actually, funny thing….. lots of people do add clear bra, mostly to more expensive exotic cars, specifically because they don’t want their paint damaged (same reason I did, cuz I quite like my car). This doesn’t alter anything about airflow… and no one is putting wraps over vents. 

Also, fun fact… last years NASA TT2 national champ, who drives an automatic mustang (long story why it’s an auto…) has had his trans fail literally countless times. His car is under warranty, and even though it is quite literally actually a race car, Ford keeps replacing it under warranty anyways. Could they weasel out of it? Yea probably… but some companies actually stand behind their product and believe in trying to improve things. Porsche is known to be pretty good about this as well for track folks - they actually intend for their cars to be track capable and stand behind them as such.

Speaking of Porsche, these poor IMSA GT3 cars… must be overheating left and right. Poor things are all wrapped and have stickers on them.

6AD2F7A0-3949-49A8-B9AF-F1625B27C818.thumb.jpeg.7683bf2ba03b032f3cc9aae8be5fbf5e.jpeg

But, maybe let’s not try and get off topic here… cars are a large passion of mine, and I compete in the sport as well. Trust me when I say, a wrap has no bearing on cooling, don’t let flawed logic cause you to believe companies using it as an excuse to blame the customer and void a warranty is valid. This is exactly what I don’t think LMG will do, I don’t believe they will make up reasons to try and screw a customer. But, time will tell I suppose. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

What makes any of you pro warranty people think your warranty with other companies mean anything at all? You buy a backpack from another company with a warranty and in 2 years it rips and you make a claim. They deny it... Then what? You make a tweet and a reddit post that nobody reads? Those big corporate brands don't have communities like LMG does that hold them accountable. With them, if they decline a warranty claim, the 3 people that hear a bout it and decide to never buy from them again have 0 impact on the bottom line. On the other hand with LMG, if LMG doesn't provide exceptional service, the whole community finds out and there is community outrage. LMG is held to a higher standard than corporations and they rely on a small community (relative to large corporate brands) for sales. If there is community outrage and boycotts, LMG feels the impacts immediately. LMG cannot afford not to provide exceptional support for an item like this... Whether there is a formal warranty or not.

7 minutes ago, Beerbuddy said:

What makes any of you pro warranty people think your warranty with other companies mean anything at all? You buy a backpack from another company with a warranty and in 2 years it rips and you make a claim. They deny it... Then what?

Because like I said a lot of times, this is a comment with malicious intent and whatabouism. If a company X deny a warranty this is a problem of company X, not LTT.

This kinda of argument just makes me think that Linus would deny warranties when he wanted just because he can, not because is written. There's a lot of companies who have an amazing warranty and support which you can trust

But speaking about lifetime warranties then:

My father has a victorinox backpack which has lifetime warranty, after 10 years the zipper of it broke so we went to a victorinox store to get a new one and instead of buying a new one, the representative there replaced the zipper for free, the same happens with the many snap-on tools that we have. If we break one we can get a new one from snap-on for free.

Why should I trust LTT and buy a backpack or screwdriver who doesn't have provide warranties where the CEO only says to trust him, when I can get one for about the same price on victorinox and snap-on who has lifetime warranties and they fulfill them?

3 minutes ago, kumicota said:

Because like I said a lot of times, this is a comment with malicious intent and whatabouism. If a company X deny a warranty this is a problem of company X, not LTT.

This kinda of argument just makes me think that Linus would deny warranties when he wanted just because he can, not because is written. There's a lot of companies who have an amazing warranty and support which you can trust

But speaking about lifetime warranties then:

My father has a victorinox backpack which has lifetime warranty, after 10 years the zipper of it broke so we went to a victorinox store to get a new one and instead of buying a new one, the representative there replaced the zipper for free, the same happens with the many snap-on tools that we have. If we break one we can get a new one from snap-on for free.

Why should I trust LTT and buy a backpack or screwdriver who doesn't have provide warranties where the CEO only says to trust him, when I can get one for about the same price on victorinox and snap-on who has lifetime warranties and they fulfill them?

The company replaced your father's zipper because they are a good company with good intentions... Not because they had to. They could have denied his claim and no body ever would have known about it. It would have very little to no impact on their bottom line. The warranty really had nothing to do with it.

1 hour ago, Beerbuddy said:

What makes any of you pro warranty people think your warranty with other companies mean anything at all? You buy a backpack from another company with a warranty and in 2 years it rips and you make a claim. They deny it... Then what? You make a tweet and a reddit post that nobody reads? Those big corporate brands don't have communities like LMG does that hold them accountable. With them, if they decline a warranty claim, the 3 people that hear a bout it and decide to never buy from them again have 0 impact on the bottom line. On the other hand with LMG, if LMG doesn't provide exceptional service, the whole community finds out and there is community outrage. LMG is held to a higher standard than corporations and they rely on a small community (relative to large corporate brands) for sales. If there is community outrage and boycotts, LMG feels the impacts immediately. LMG cannot afford not to provide exceptional support for an item like this... Whether there is a formal warranty or not.

In any developed country that has actual consumer protections, if a company doesn't honour the warranty, then there are places that you can report them to, and they'll step in.

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

15 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

In any developed country that has actual consumer protections, if a company doesn't honour the warranty, then there are places that you can report them to, and they'll step in.

I've been on both sides of those consumer protection agencies. Most of them are absolutely useless and have no power whatsoever. And unless there is widespread reports of issues, the Attorney General office of Consumer Protection won't do shit either. Not for a $250 product. They wouldn't even talk to me over $1000 issue with widespread reports of abuse by the company.

Additionally, going back to my original point. If LMG ever got to a point that was so bad that customers were so unhappy and reporting them to agencies like that. This community is so small and they rely so heavily on sales from this community that they would probably go out of business anyways and no one would be getting a refund... Warranty or not.

Just now, Beerbuddy said:

Additionally, going back to my original point. If LMG ever got to a point that was so bad that customers were so unhappy and reporting them to agencies like that. This community is so small and they rely so heavily on sales from this community that they would probably go out of business anyways and no one would be getting a refund... Warranty or not.

So then what's the harm in offering a warranty then?

Laptop:

Spoiler

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

Just now, yolosnail said:

So then what's the harm in offering a warranty then?

You're right. There is no harm. But imo it means nothing and people are getting their panties in a bunch over a non issue. And it sounds like they are going to write up something formal. But I understand his view and why they didn't bother writing one to begin with. Though his explanation was poor on the wan show. I'll agree with that. 

On 8/7/2022 at 8:28 PM, Middcore said:

why insist on pretending to be offended at being called pirates?

I don't have anything else to be offended by.

That's an outright anti-consumer move.

And because of that i will not buy LTT products until it gives warranty on expensive products like this!

Not giving warranty to a $100+ item is not only unacceptable but also possibly violates consumer protection laws in many countries.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

7 minutes ago, Vishera said:

but also possibly violates consumer protection laws in many countries.

Doesnt matter. LTT operates in Canada and thats the only laws they have to follow. Of course other countries can stop the importation of their products, those consumer protection laws dont do anything as LTT is not in those countries. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

12 minutes ago, Vishera said:

That's an outright anti-consumer move.

And because of that i will not buy LTT products until it gives warranty on expensive products like this!

Not giving warranty to a $100+ item is not only unacceptable but also possibly violates consumer protection laws in many countries.

They already announced on Twitter that there will be a written warranty on Backpack before it ships, hopefully everyone can calm down now

EDIT I should have been more specific, Nick Light tweeted that