Do you capitalise your name?

Kazooduck

Caps or Not?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. How do you write your name in informal conversation?

• uncapitalised (john doe)
    • Capitalised (John Doe)
    • oThER: See COMMenTs

odd question, but in informal conversation do you capitalize your own name? im not asking for people to dox themselves by saying it, but I write my name like john doe, not John Doe, it just seems friendlier to me.

check your cables!
samsung s10e | android enthusiast | Tech blogger | XC Athlete | Surface pro 4

If you're english speaking and you don't capitalize a proper name than you are just plain doing it wrong. Its an actual rule of the english language to capitalize proper nouns. Formal or informal conversation, if you send a message to me with a name not capitalized I wont view it as friendly, Ill look at it as an uncorrected error that you should have caught.

I rarely use the "chat language" as I like to call it, or if I do, I follow a good amount of grammar rules. It just makes stuff easier to read IMO.

I'm used to proper grammar for some reason; it's my tendency to capitalize 'i' every time whether the conversation be formal or informal. It takes more effort for me to not follow grammar rules than to actually follow them, lol.

So since names are a proper noun, it gets the first letter uppercase.

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

ooh looks like we have some major opinions.

1 hour ago, Niksa said:

Even if it’s informal why is so difficult to press that shift key?

sometimes I capitalize and then go back and intentionally change it, I want a specific tone when it comes to my messages

check your cables!

8 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

If you're english speaking and you don't capitalize a proper name than you are just plain doing it wrong. Its an actual rule of the english language to capitalize proper nouns. Formal or informal conversation, if you send a message to me with a name not capitalized I wont view it as friendly, Ill look at it as an uncorrected error that you should have caught.

100% agreed.

I will judge people who do this, even if I'm polite about it and don't mention it to them.

I will also judge people who don't capitalize at all (looking at you, OP...). Sentences can become annoying to read without capitalizations and punctuation.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

58 minutes ago, kamonanban said:

ooh looks like we have some major opinions.

sometimes I capitalize and then go back and intentionally change it, I want a specific tone when it comes to my messages

To me, it comes off as lazy or uneducated. 

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

100% agreed.

I will judge people who do this, even if I'm polite about it and don't mention it to them.

I will also judge people who don't capitalize at all (looking at you, OP...). Sentences can become annoying to read without capitalizations and punctuation.

A lot of time I’m typing in my phone, I changed my tone for this post specifically, but on my phone it’s just more convenient. Maybe it’s the instant messaging and texting that makes me break sentences, but I have become increasingly lazy with it

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

To me, it comes off as lazy or uneducated. 

Lazy is right… I agree.

check your cables!

3 minutes ago, kamonanban said:

A lot of time I’m typing in my phone, I changed my tone for this post specifically, but on my phone it’s just more convenient. Maybe it’s the instant messaging and texting that makes me break sentences, but I have become increasingly lazy with it

Personally I find that as an excuse at best. Especially since on Mobile, if your name is a relatively normal name (or you type it a lot), autocorrect should Capitalize the name for you.

But the fact that you'd go back and change it to be incorrect? Why? That doesn't 'change the tone', it just makes you look bad.

3 minutes ago, kamonanban said:

Lazy is right… I agree.

I'm lazy, so I can relate. But this is just next level.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Personally I find that as an excuse at best. Especially since on Mobile, if your name is a relatively normal name (or you type it a lot), autocorrect should Capitalize the name for you.

But the fact that you'd go back and change it to be incorrect? Why? That doesn't 'change the tone', it just makes you look bad.

I'm lazy, so I can relate. But this is just next level.

I think I lost something when I said informal writing. I meant discord, or texting. Not full post based platforms like a forum.

check your cables!

4 minutes ago, kamonanban said:

I think I lost something when I said informal writing. I meant discord, or texting. Not full post based platforms like a forum.

Yeah that's not an excuse in my opinion.

Discord, you're likely still typing on a keyboard.

But even with texting, instant messenger, etc? I still consider it an excuse. I understand with texting wanting to minimize effort, but there are smart ways to do that without making yourself look bad.

7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Yeah that's not an excuse in my opinion.

Discord, you're likely still typing on a keyboard.

But even with texting, instant messenger, etc? I still consider it an excuse. I understand with texting wanting to minimize effort, but there are smart ways to do that without making yourself look bad.

Usually it’s not professional at that level, and it’s chatting with a close group of friends. A lot of times we are aware that our text may be improper, and a lot of times annoying; but we help each other through tough times, and having to put extra effort to dress our text up in any way is unnecessary at that point.

check your cables!

Just now, kamonanban said:

Usually it’s not professional at that level, and it’s chatting with a close group of friends. A lot of times we are aware that our text may be improper, and a lot of times annoying; but we help each other through tough times, and having to put extra effort to dress our text up in any way is unnecessary at that point.

That's a personal choice - when I'm texting my friends, I'm still using *roughly* proper grammar. To me, the extra few milliseconds to do it proper is worth it.

Especially the capitalization of the names. It just makes no sense to me that you would go back and correct the properly capitalized name into an incorrectly capitalized name. That makes no sense at all.

I capitalize automatically. I also use punctuation and commas in casual conversation (Which some people think means i'm angry for some reason) 
I mean my pinkie spends 90% of its time on the shift key anyway. Might as well move it once in a while to limber it up.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

6 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Especially the capitalization of the names. It just makes no sense to me that you would go back and correct the properly capitalized name into an incorrectly capitalized name. That makes no sense at all.

It’s more of a fitting Into the discussion thing

check your cables!

I hate it when people don't capitalize their name or don't capitilize I. It's the simplest form of English grammar.

Due to my inability to think before I type, I frequently edit my posts. Please refresh before responding!

Tag me @drdrewnatic or quote me so I can see your response.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CPU: INTEL CORE I5-12600K GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GEFORCE RTX 2070 OC MB: GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 RAM: 2X8GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB 3200 CL16 BOOT: CRUCIAL P5 PLUS 1TB SSD: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500GB HDD: SEAGATE 2TB 7200RPM PSU: EVGA G3 650W COOLER: THERMALRIGHT PEERLESS ASSASSIN 120 SE ARGO

01101100 01110100 01110100 01110011 01110100 01101111 01110010 01100101 00101110 01100011 01101111 01101101

10 minutes ago, kamonanban said:

It’s more of a fitting Into the discussion thing

I'm not sure I follow.

How can intentionally not capitalizing your name fit into the discussion of anything?

Also, ironic that you capitalized "Into" 😛

18 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I'm not sure I follow.

How can intentionally not capitalizing your name fit into the discussion of anything?

Not just my name, sentences in general in casual environment, where people would give one word answers?

19 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Also, ironic that you capitalized "Into" 😛

Oh, things happen I guess, didn’t mean to

check your cables!

what kind of psychopath doesn't capitalize their name, or any name for that matter? Its proper grammar that you should've learned in primary school.

8 minutes ago, kamonanban said:

Not just my name, sentences in general in casual environment, where people would give one word answers?

Oh, things happen I guess, didn’t mean to

Ok, I could see a situation in a casual environment where that would be used. Personally, I wouldn't do that, but I would be more tolerant to that then not capitalizing names. That's just being lazy.

Due to my inability to think before I type, I frequently edit my posts. Please refresh before responding!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CPU: INTEL CORE I5-12600K GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GEFORCE RTX 2070 OC MB: GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 RAM: 2X8GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB 3200 CL16 BOOT: CRUCIAL P5 PLUS 1TB SSD: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500GB HDD: SEAGATE 2TB 7200RPM PSU: EVGA G3 650W COOLER: THERMALRIGHT PEERLESS ASSASSIN 120 SE ARGO

01101100 01110100 01110100 01110011 01110100 01101111 01110010 01100101 00101110 01100011 01101111 01101101

2 minutes ago, Caroline said:

I do capitalise it except in SMS like "ok tell brandon im omw" because it's not really important and my contacts aren't grammar nazis, my phone comes with the painfully terrible T9 autocorrect but I've never liked it, plus I'm used to just write things fast

Fair point.

11 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

Its an actual rule of the english language to capitalize proper nouns.

You forgot to capitalize the word English.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Since I type most of my texts in Swiss German, which is basically diet German, I capitalize all nouns, not just proper ones, just like I would when writing proper German. And it's not like there are any rules for writing in Swiss German, it's just a dialect so anything goes. But I'm also one of the few people I know who do it this way. Most of my friends, family and acquaintances type all lower case, though I do have a few people in my contacts, my dad among them, who start out every conversation in proper German and whenever I reply in Swiss German they tend to switch over immediately.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█