LTT Screwdriver

Imbadatnames
1 hour ago, yolosnail said:

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just that if the shaft was made thinner to allow better clearance in heatsinks, then that is probably a worthy compromise given the target market of the screwdriver.

I personally wouldn't use the integrated bit holder, I find them too much of a faff to use. I prefer to have my bits in a separate box so I can quickly grab them without having to disassemble the screwdriver. 

As for Project Farm, I'll have to wait until someone on here regurgitates his findings, I physically cannot watch his videos, they're just too shouty and American for my British tastes.

I'm definitely not a fan of the style of the videos, but it's great if you want to make up your mind what tool to get, and it's pretty much the only 1 that does these proper in depth videos.

Yeah the shaft is a compromise, for me the take away is that they made it really quite strong, and only breaks through serious abuse. That kind of abuse pretty much only happens when people don't own the product, and don't give a shit if their boss has to buy a new one every 6 months.

I'm mixed on the bits. I mean I like the system, looks really cool and usable, but I get your point. The biggest advantage here, is that you can just pocket the screwdriver, and you don't need extra bitcases etc on you.

I'm in the space where I like the product, but I don't know in how many instances I would use it. In my little shed I have all my tools, so I don't need it there. In my car I have a nice Makita case with all sorts of tools in it. So I would pretty much get it for my mancave, but I mostly use smaller stuff there. So it depends on what bits they will offer, will they offer the really small bits (like you have in products such as the iFixit cases), and do I think it's worth it or not.

That said, so far I like the product, so if I can find a good use for it, I will, because in my mancave I only have this crappy aliexpress set, and I would love to get something of a good quality.

4 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

And that's why the orange Snap-On SSDMR4B says "WARNING NOT A PRYBAR CHISEL OR PUNCH" on the handle. There's only about 1/4" of the bit actually in the shank, which itself is pretty thin around the bit hole.

That break was to be expected. 

The bit holder in the shank is more shallow and ground down thinner on the LTT driver. It wasn't even clearing the standard 1/4 inch holding mandrel on the torque tester.

I still would of liked to see a test of the ratchet mechanism after each torque test.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

27 minutes ago, Neroon said:

I'm definitely not a fan of the style of the videos, but it's great if you want to make up your mind what tool to get, and it's pretty much the only 1 that does these proper in depth videos.

Yeah the shaft is a compromise, for me the take away is that they made it really quite strong, and only breaks through serious abuse. That kind of abuse pretty much only happens when people don't own the product, and don't give a shit if their boss has to buy a new one every 6 months.

I'm mixed on the bits. I mean I like the system, looks really cool and usable, but I get your point. The biggest advantage here, is that you can just pocket the screwdriver, and you don't need extra bitcases etc on you.

I'm in the space where I like the product, but I don't know in how many instances I would use it. In my little shed I have all my tools, so I don't need it there. In my car I have a nice Makita case with all sorts of tools in it. So I would pretty much get it for my mancave, but I mostly use smaller stuff there. So it depends on what bits they will offer, will they offer the really small bits (like you have in products such as the iFixit cases), and do I think it's worth it or not.

That said, so far I like the product, so if I can find a good use for it, I will, because in my mancave I only have this crappy aliexpress set, and I would love to get something of a good quality.

Do people really carry a screwdriver in their pocket though? 

Mine stays in my backpack until I need it, I then use it, and put it straight back because I know I'll lose it (and by that I mean I just lose it because I never put it back)

The only thing that would really push me towards the LTT Screwdriver is the magnet, assuming it's as good as they say it is. But then again, half the screws I come across aren't even magnetic!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

9 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

Mine stays in my backpack until I need it, I then use it, and put it straight back because I know I'll lose it (and by that I mean I just lose it because I never put it back)

The only thing that would really push me towards the LTT Screwdriver is the magnet, assuming it's as good as they say it is. But then again, half the screws I come across aren't even magnetic!

I used to carry a multi tool that had a couple of screw drivers on it. They weren’t adequate for building computers though. Brass, copper, and titanium screws (well titanium a little) won’t gain anything from a magnetic screwdriver little steel Philips heads, of which there are many in a desktop, generally do though.  I’ve got a whole toolbox full of screwdrivers but rooting through it to find the size and head I need is a pain.  This one is apparently specifically designed to help with assembling desktops.  If that’s not what you do there’s a good chance you want a different one.  If you just want a magnetic screwdriver sometimes just take one or two of those rare earth magnets and stick them to the screwdriver shaft.  Boom.  Magnetic screwdriver. Plus you can turn it back again by removing the magnets.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 hours ago, yolosnail said:

I don't. I mean I would while I'm doing stuff, but I'm a social worker so I generally don't use tools. I do have, like I said, a toolbox in the car, and I got a toolcard in my wallet. I've been thinking about like a Leatherman, but I think they are too bulky. If I were using a backpack, I would definitely carry such stuff with me.

Carrying a screwdriver in your pocket is a good way to scratch a chair or car seat if you forget about it.

Do the bit kits come with their own holder or is it just contained in the cardboard package? Having an option for a "all the bits" package that comes with a container for all of the bits would be nice.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

I need it compared to a pb swiss ratchet like the

https://www.pbswisstools.com/en/tools/quality-hand-tools/mobile-sets/product/pb-6510r-100

or

https://www.pbswisstools.com/en/tools/quality-hand-tools/screwdrivers/product/pb-8510r-100-set

I have alot of their tools, and they are the highest quality i have tried out of any other manufacture (wiha, wera, stahlwille,gedore,filo, hazet)

They are about the same price, but LTT not available in EU and PB swiss not really available in NA

3 hours ago, Geneleco said:

I need it compared to a pb swiss ratchet like the

https://www.pbswisstools.com/en/tools/quality-hand-tools/mobile-sets/product/pb-6510r-100

or

https://www.pbswisstools.com/en/tools/quality-hand-tools/screwdrivers/product/pb-8510r-100-set

I have alot of their tools, and they are the highest quality i have tried out of any other manufacture (wiha, wera, stahlwille,gedore,filo, hazet)

They are about the same price, but LTT not available in EU and PB swiss not really available in NA

Working on it... not sure if PF will test the PB Swiss but I would imagine so. The ratchet feels exquisite on the thing, though some design aspects (like overmolded grip) might sway someone one way or the other depending on their needs.

I have to ask though, are you an engineer or mechanic? I don't see too many average folks using PB Swiss!

daily reminder you can get a similar screw driver for $10-$15.  even linus said he liked amazon basics kit lol

i guess we only buy this if we spiritually connect with the sound of that ratchet mechanism

My observations:

1) There is no screwdriver exactly like The Screwdriver. It's totally fine if it's not for YOU, but don't get mixed up thinking it's like other screwdrivers. The closest comparison is the Megapro, which is also expensive, but one big difference is that the Megapro isn't properly magnetic, so you'd need to magnetize the bits yourself regularly. Cheaper comparisons like the new Klein or Workpro/Husky are also very different for those people who don't care about the differences. But the differences remain there, regardless of whether you care or not. 

2) The destroyed screwdriver doesn't tell us anything. Some screwdrivers will break in half when bent like that, and some won't. Only a direct comparison by someone who wants to throw away a few hundred bucks (like Project Farm) will tell us if The Screwdriver snaps in half easier than any other ratcheting screwdriver. But it doesn't really matter because nobody will ever reproduce that scenario in real life -- putting a bolt driver over a long bolt and then using body weight to lever it in half.

3) You should expect reliability problems because they're new at this, but you should also expect them to remedy the situation eventually. Apple and Samsung both had devices that broke when dust got in, and some people did get screwed, but remedies were put in place. Just don't spend money you don't have, and don't rely on this to be your only screwdriver.

4) Priorities after launch should include A) killing the fragile black plated steel ASAP because there are better things to do with their time, B) more colored plastics starting with a girly one that's presumably pink, and C) a SKU with a nice case for $10+ and every bit included plus a bonus item like a thin cheap driver extension.

5) Everyone at LMG who knows the benefits of The Screwdriver are too busy launching it to write down a list of all its benefits, so it's not clear to everyone why you would buy The Screwdriver. Hopefully the launch marketing materials list everything in one place. Until then, I'll attempt it for them:

• It begins with the best multi-bit screwdriver storage mechanism in the world made by Megapro. It quickly and reliability opens and closes to store the most bits in the market. If you haven't heard of Megapro before, that's only because their screwdrivers are really expensive... because they're really good. This mechanism is NOT like the clones you can get on Amazon for $20. And unlike most tools of mysterious origin, Megapro is a Canadian company owned by a multi-billion dollar industrial tool, material, and construction conglomerate headquartered in France called Descours & Cabaud. The Screwdriver starts with solid bones.
  • The bit holders are reliable springy plastic that can hold both The Screwdriver bits and standard 1" long insert bits with 1/4" hex shank. Proprietary parts and planned obsolescence are common in the multi-bit screwdriver market. Many companies don't even sell replacement bits. 12 bits for The Screwdriver are $10.
  • When closed, the bit holder acts as a rotating end cap in your palm for turning the driver easier with just your fingertips or using a second hand for more torque.
  • The Screwdriver bits are coated S2 steel which is harder than stainless steel but still rust-resistant. Many multi-bit screwdrivers use soft mystery-steel.
  • The bit shanks are shorter than normal, allowing closer fixation to a larger than normal magnet in the driver shaft. No screwdriver in the world can pick up and retain ferrous fasteners better than The Screwdriver.
  • The large magnet in the shaft locks the bits in place without the need of a traditional ball bearing locking system that increases the driver and bit cost, size, and weight.
  • The passivated stainless steel shaft is thinner and stronger than an aluminum shaft, rust-resistant, and with knurling cut into the thinnest area to help you quickly spin the driver with 2 fingers.
  • The custom ratcheting mechanism is derived from the best in the world by Megapro. It's rust-resistant, overbuilt to never fail from hand torque, runs smoother and quieter than normal ratchets, and reverses with less force so it can be used on smaller screws that aren't yet held tightly in the target material.
  • The ratchet collar was designed to make more sense than normal ratcheting screwdrivers. You just turn the collar in the direction that you want to turn the screw.
  • The sensible ratchet collar operation and substantial neck of The Screwdriver body prevents accidental actuation of the collar changing the ratchet direction unintentionally.
  • Most of The Screwdriver body is one piece of smooth durable plastic with no bumps or ugly designs that can peel, crack, or leak. It's shaped to be roll-proof, and is balanced in the hand. The handle size is average, good for most people and most tasks.

There are likely problems to be found and improvements to be made, but overall, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship between LMG and high-end tools!

12 minutes ago, Luminair said:

My observations:

1) There is no screwdriver exactly like The Screwdriver. It's totally fine if it's not for YOU, but don't get mixed up thinking it's like other screwdrivers. The closest comparison is the Megapro, which is also expensive, but one big difference is that the Megapro isn't properly magnetic, so you'd need to magnetize the bits yourself regularly. Cheaper comparisons like the new Klein or Workpro/Husky are also very different for those people who don't care about the differences. But the differences remain there, regardless of whether you care or not. 

2) The destroyed screwdriver doesn't tell us anything. Some screwdrivers will break in half when bent like that, and some won't. Only a direct comparison by someone who wants to throw away a few hundred bucks (like Project Farm) will tell us if The Screwdriver snaps in half easier than any other ratcheting screwdriver. But it doesn't really matter because nobody will ever reproduce that scenario in real life -- putting a bolt driver over a long bolt and then using body weight to lever it in half.

3) You should expect reliability problems because they're new at this, but you should also expect them to remedy the situation eventually. Apple and Samsung both had devices that broke when dust got in, and some people did get screwed, but remedies were put in place. Just don't spend money you don't have, and don't rely on this to be your only screwdriver.

4) Priorities after launch should include A) killing the fragile black plated steel ASAP because there are better things to do with their time, B) more colored plastics starting with a girly one that's presumably pink, and C) a SKU with a nice case for $10+ and every bit included plus a bonus item like a thin cheap driver extension.

5) Everyone at LMG who knows the benefits of The Screwdriver are too busy launching it to write down a list of all its benefits, so it's not clear to everyone why you would buy The Screwdriver. Hopefully the launch marketing materials list everything in one place. Until then, I'll attempt it for them:

• It begins with the best multi-bit screwdriver storage mechanism in the world made by Megapro. It quickly and reliability opens and closes to store the most bits in the market. If you haven't heard of Megapro before, that's only because their screwdrivers are really expensive... because they're really good. This mechanism is NOT like the clones you can get on Amazon for $20. And unlike most tools of mysterious origin, Megapro is a Canadian company owned by a multi-billion dollar industrial tool, material, and construction conglomerate headquartered in France called Descours & Cabaud. The Screwdriver starts with solid bones.
  • The bit holders are reliable springy plastic that can hold both The Screwdriver bits and standard 1" long insert bits with 1/4" hex shank. Proprietary parts and planned obsolescence are common in the multi-bit screwdriver market. Many companies don't even sell replacement bits. 12 bits for The Screwdriver are $10.
  • When closed, the bit holder acts as a rotating end cap in your palm for turning the driver easier with just your fingertips or using a second hand for more torque.
  • The Screwdriver bits are coated S2 steel which is harder than stainless steel but still rust-resistant. Many multi-bit screwdrivers use soft mystery-steel.
  • The bit shanks are shorter than normal, allowing closer fixation to a larger than normal magnet in the driver shaft. No screwdriver in the world can pick up and retain ferrous fasteners better than The Screwdriver.
  • The large magnet in the shaft locks the bits in place without the need of a traditional ball bearing locking system that increases the driver and bit cost, size, and weight.
  • The passivated stainless steel shaft is thinner and stronger than an aluminum shaft, rust-resistant, and with knurling cut into the thinnest area to help you quickly spin the driver with 2 fingers.
  • The custom ratcheting mechanism is derived from the best in the world by Megapro. It's rust-resistant, overbuilt to never fail from hand torque, runs smoother and quieter than normal ratchets, and reverses with less force so it can be used on smaller screws that aren't yet held tightly in the target material.
  • The ratchet collar was designed to make more sense than normal ratcheting screwdrivers. You just turn the collar in the direction that you want to turn the screw.
  • The sensible ratchet collar operation and substantial neck of The Screwdriver body prevents accidental actuation of the collar changing the ratchet direction unintentionally.
  • Most of The Screwdriver body is one piece of smooth durable plastic with no bumps or ugly designs that can peel, crack, or leak. It's shaped to be roll-proof, and is balanced in the hand. The handle size is average, good for most people and most tasks.

There are likely problems to be found and improvements to be made, but overall, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship between LMG and high-end tools!

What about a mega pro with a couple of neodymium magnets stuck to the shaft?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

12 hours ago, geerlingguy said:

Working on it... not sure if PF will test the PB Swiss but I would imagine so. The ratchet feels exquisite on the thing, though some design aspects (like overmolded grip) might sway someone one way or the other depending on their needs.

I have to ask though, are you an engineer or mechanic? I don't see too many average folks using PB Swiss!

I'll chime in and say I am seriously considering the PB Swiss vs. the LTT driver for home use, because I can swing the purchase and have gotten my blood boiling over stupid little design decisions I hate about cheaper ratcheting drivers. I just moved house recently as well, so I have a lot of screwdriver use coming up.

9 hours ago, DaveMath said:

daily reminder you can get a similar screw driver for $10-$15.  even linus said he liked amazon basics kit lol

i guess we only buy this if we spiritually connect with the sound of that ratchet mechanism

Linus did say that, of course there was a guy who owns that one and told him it got really bad after a while, don't remember the complaint, but quality was the issue.

The quality of tools is an endless discussion, short versions ends up being that if you rarely use it, non battery powered tools can be fine for low prices (I would not recommend like the really cheap battery powered stuff). The higher you go, the better the product generally gets, and the improvements vs cost increase gets worse and worse the higher it goes. Depending on how often you use it, how wealthy you are and how anal you are about quality, a decision can be made what fits you best.

So if you want a screwdriver in your bag, that you rarely use, the amazon basics is probably fine for it's price. If you use it daily, that thing is gonna cost you way more than a quality product. Also the amount of time saved with a quality product, can easily pay itself back.

Does that mean this is the best product for everyone? No. But I do think it's gonna be best for some.

As someone with 20 years IT experience as well as pro audio, I understand why he developed this driver. Personally my #1 is a SpecTools ratcheting driver with an internal gearbox in the ratchet mechanism which I've used for 15 years. When you have a favorite driver, you get to know it very well, what you like, what you don't like, what you wish were different. 20 years worth of "I wish" was enough for Linus to invest in the development of a driver that encapsulates all of his wish list items. In the guitar world we call it a signature guitar, which is usually based on an existing production guitar, but with personal enhancements or changes of the artist promoting it. Linus is releasing his signature driver, whats the problem?

My #1 driver has plenty of flaws, a cap that you open in the handle by pressing your thumb on a hard but small piece of plastic, leaving an indentation in your thumb. No organization in the handle either. However, if you hold the ratchet mechanism, a 1/4 turn of the driver handle gives a full turn at the tip, but at a 1/4 of the torque. Great for backing out rack screws once I break them loose, I can back one out with 3 wrist flicks. The gearbox does add play to the driver shaft though. "I wish, I wish..." However, I'm almost 40 years old, my new electric Milwuakee hex driver with the clutch is all I need for rack screws, or most projects, rendering the SpecTools driver a nostalgic relic of my past. Now I just want a nice simple ratchet driver with some good organization in the handle, that I can use when power tools aren't appropriate.

I signed up for notification of the black shaft version, it's going to be light duty in my home for PC work or other pro audio projects using machine screws.

19 hours ago, geerlingguy said:

Yes i am in engineering. A friend in the automation industry recommended them. Great tools, price is decent if you buy them in CH

Hey guys not sure if this has been answered before but, I currently own a Pro Tech Toolkit from iFixit, will I be able to use all of its bits with the LTT Screwdriver? 

I'd appreciate any info.

1 hour ago, FFrye said:

Hey guys not sure if this has been answered before but, I currently own a Pro Tech Toolkit from iFixit, will I be able to use all of its bits with the LTT Screwdriver? 

I'd appreciate any info.

Nope, the ltt driver uses 1/4 bits, the iFix it kit is smaller, probably 1/8th?

On 8/29/2022 at 5:48 AM, DaveMath said:

Have you read the reviews for the amazon basic?

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

3 hours ago, FFrye said:

I'd appreciate any info.

2 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

There's probably an adapter for it somewhere

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

When is this version available

image.png.2e5c414cd4a16c5a364a192eb629f6b7.png

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Spoiler

Wow, more than half of Wave 1 are sold, they are dropping like 1000 units every few minutes. Glad I got my order in. Can't wait to see the ebay scalper prices.

28 minutes ago, castlev said:

Wow, more than half of Wave 1 are sold, they are dropping like 1000 units every few minutes. Glad I got my order in. Can't wait to see the ebay scalper prices.

With ship dates being every 10 days I can't imagine scalpers will get anything...

image.png.19f50a43db5f77196a029cbe9329bb78.png

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

3 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to tools, I'm currently at work but, looking the iFixit kit on their website, it says it comes with an 1/4 to 4 adapter.

1259094697_ScreenShot2022-08-30at3_14_59PM.thumb.jpg.efe998be92f099793fe80cc1f89f0148.jpg

Wouldn't that mean that the iFixit bits are already 1/4 and thus, already compatible with the LTT Screwdriver?

6 minutes ago, FFrye said:

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to tools, I'm currently at work but, looking the iFixit kit on their website, it says it comes with an 1/4 to 4 adapter.

1259094697_ScreenShot2022-08-30at3_14_59PM.thumb.jpg.efe998be92f099793fe80cc1f89f0148.jpg

Wouldn't that mean that the iFixit bits are already 1/4 and thus, already compatible with the LTT Screwdriver?

Just pulled out my ifixit kit they're 1/8"