LTT Screwdriver

Imbadatnames
10 minutes ago, DeltaBruggemann said:

If you want a backpack as well it might be worth it. They said that have the last of the air shipped one’s available at the pop up shop.

Definitely don't.  Backpack doesn't help me much in my everyday life and my everki bag is still my go to travel bag, from once upon a time in the NCIX days.  Talking about a lifetime premium bag the similarities are striking

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

On 3/31/2022 at 7:53 AM, Thaldor said:

I would hope it had some kind of "wow" feature that would clearly set it aside from the cheap market, like it was 1000V insulated or the shaft was coated to lessen the risk of it damaging anything or something. 

This is something I wish was addressed, but hasn’t been. Not necessarily “wow” features, but the little things matter. A screw driver is just a screw driver until you look at how the little things compare to one another. Sure, both ratchet and get the job done. But how well do they resist rust if water gets in the mechanism? How much dust, dirt, and grime does it take to gum up the bit slot, ratchet, and bit selector for each? How easy are they to clean? What kind of torque does it take to cause premature ratchet wear, or outright break the ratchet mechanism?

So far, only you bringing up resistance to current and the chemical resistance concerns were brought up. Out of those, only the chemical resistance was said to be addressed, though no results from those purported tests have come about yet.

The more little things a screwdriver, or any tool really, has in its favour compared to competing tools, the more a price difference can be justified. 

On 6/19/2022 at 3:27 PM, Imbadatnames said:

I’ve worked with them? They’re also the second choice after DU for armour piercing rounds, if it survives hitting armour plates upon impact at Mach 2 I think it’ll do fine against the floor at Mach 0.03

Disagree.

Generally APFSDS/sabot rounds don’t survive impact. If they did, you missed!

Having handled (and occasionally dropped) tungsten sabot rounds, I can promise you they are quite brittle. They are only strong against forces along their length. Any sort of perpendicular forces, such as landing at an angle when dropped 3 feet, can break a tungsten sabot round. That’s why tungsten works great for things like hammer drills; most of the impact force travels through the body of the bit, not across it.

So yes, it seems counter-intuitive that a material can be fired at super sonic speeds to take out a tank, while being unable to handle torsional forces or being dropped from a desk. But that’s the way it is.

On 8/19/2022 at 7:42 AM, NastyFlytrap said:

It says outright that it doesnt cover wear and tear, which is what warranties are for in the first fucking place! What is the point of a warranty that only covers damage that's from the factory? Its not supposed to have any in the first fucking place!

Warranties are for actually providing hard statements on what will be warrantied, and what wont. 

First fucking place.

First fucking place.

First fucking place.

Now that I’ve established we’re communicating In the same language, perhaps I could share a “knowledge bomb” with you.

A “warranty” is called a “warranty” because you “warrant” that your product, as delivered, will function as advertised when used as specified for the designated tasks. In short, you promise it works as sold, and will provide a product that meets this promise if the first one doesn’t work as advertised. 

But that’s it. Replacing something broken due to accident or misuse? That’s insurance, not a warranty.

As for normal wear and tear, everything wears out with use. That’s literally baked into how our universe works. It’s called entropy. You’re not a God that can prevent entropy, so you can’t make the promise it won’t happen. You can’t promise it, you can’t warrant it, you don’t have to offer a warranty against it.

So yea, a product or service slipping past quality control really is all a warranty is meant for. Anything else is extra.

First fucking place.

On 8/20/2022 at 12:49 PM, NastyFlytrap said:

Apply that to anything else. You're the kind of person who'd excuse shit like diablo immoral cuz 'well, i you dont HAVE to pay for it...!'
ITS STILL FUCKING AWFUL, DUDE. Us buying LTT shit, or paying or diablo immoral is IRRELEVANT. Its in the fking name, its IMMORAL! Just because 'well, you can buy something else then' doesnt solve the problem of this being immoral and frankly, trashy. 

Difference is Diablo Immortal was reviewed, tested, and the criticisms were found to be justified. This screwdriver hasn’t been released yet, nor has it been reviewed by 3rd parties. You can’t call the pricing/existence of a good immoral when the product hasn’t yet been put to use or otherwise assessed.

And really, why are you so mad about this? Being this unhinged over a screwdriver (& all the other shit you managed to rant about) on a tech forum makes you come across as deranged. If you aren’t currently seeking help, maybe you should be? There are better ways to overcome emotional & psychological difficulties than equating people you don’t even know to gum on a shoe.

Its happening, after Linus made the comment about project farm on the WAN show, i commemted on youtube on his screwdriver video as he did ask for suggestions for future videos and its about to go down.....(in my best kevin hart voice) i really hope @LinusTechgets to provide a driver for this! Would be cool to alsi see him test other merch as he has done water bottles in the past..... i just hope linus sends him two drivers as i know hes going to destroy one, that way he has a keepsake if he really likes it...

Screenshot_20220822-221343_YouTube.jpg

Spoiler
56 minutes ago, MrHaydenJr said:

Its happening, after Linus made the comment about project farm on the WAN show, i commemted on youtube on his screwdriver video as he did ask for suggestions for future videos and its about to go down.....(in my best kevin hart voice) i really hope @LinusTechgets to provide a driver for this! Would be cool to alsi see him test other merch as he has done water bottles in the past..... i just hope linus sends him two drivers as i know hes going to destroy one, that way he has a keepsake if he really likes it...

Screenshot_20220822-221343_YouTube.jpg

Not sure how he ordered the screwdriver when it's not out yet. 🤨

1 hour ago, crazzp said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Im guessing he contacted LTT and worked out a deal to get a couple for review purposes. Even if he paid for them outright its not uncommon practice for companies to give advanced/first wave stock to reviewers. Helps potential customers make buying decisions when there are reviews of the product out there from multiple sources, especially if they are independant. 

On 8/21/2022 at 10:13 PM, DeltaBruggemann said:

It's starting to sound like you haven't even watched the video on the screwdriver.

They licenced MegaPro IP for the ratchet and the Bit Loader and they are working with a canadian mold maker for the handle.

They are using a Chinese factory but from what has been said on WAN show the Chinese factory is producing better ratchets then what Megapros recommended Taiwan factory could produce. You can watch for yourself here.

They have also said previously that the screwdriver qualifies for assembled in Canada branding. (Maybe it's made in canada but I can't find the WAN where that was said at this time.)

So I’m right then. They’re rebranding an existing product and having it produced in China because they say it’s “better quality” (cheaper). 

Assembles in Canada means FA it’s made in China. That’s like taking apples “designed in California” branding as making a difference. 

3 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

So I’m right then. They’re rebranding an existing product and having it produced in China because they say it’s “better quality” (cheaper). 

Assembles in Canada means FA it’s made in China. That’s like taking apples “designed in California” branding as making a difference. 

No you are wrong, they started with licensing IP then altered it, then they designed their own handle and bit loader. Its a unique driver to them, not a "rebranded" driver. Im not sure why you have such a hard on for hating a product that hasnt even launched yet. And if you have been paying attention to LTT videos at all over the last 2 years you would have seen constant updates talking about design changes they made to the handle and the ratchet mechanism.

5 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

They haven’t rebranded any products it’s a completely new product. If it was just a generic screwdriver with LTT silkscreened on it then why would it be 2 years of development with qualified engineers working on the project?

1 hour ago, Imbadatnames said:

Yes you're right! Ain't you awesome? You wow me with your knowledge and foresight, with all that expertise regarding magnetism and screwdriver design. You must really have a lot of experience, compared to the product engineers they have at LTT. 

It's also so amazing that you can tell whether a product is good or not before you even see it or use it! WOW! 

You know what, you should start a tech company! Any product that you design will be magical and what's more, you don't even need testing and prototyping! Just a theoretical analysis will make the product superior to anything in the market!

8 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

Not really. We do this at my work all the time. We license an existing patent and then modify it -- usually quite heavily -- for our intended purposes. It's definitely not the same product once the modifications have been completed. Much cheaper than a ground up build. 

Server - 10850K   |   Daily - 12700k  |  Gaming - Steam Deck

I'm debating going for the LTT screwdriver or this (because it's a stubby and I've found my cheapo Stanley bit-holding ratcheting screwdriver is too long or long enough to get annoying in lots of cases.

https://www.kctool.com/wera-008884-kraftform-kompakt-ra-2-ratcheting-stubby-screwdriver-with-bit-storage-6-pieces/

or

https://www.pbswisstools.com/en/tools/quality-hand-tools/screwdrivers/product/pb-8453r-30

13 hours ago, crazzp said:
  Reveal hidden contents

he probably order some ratcheting drivers.... im sure he didnt immediately call linus for a screwdriver and interupt his evening, i just hope he gets a chance to review it, i think itd be great for LTT and for his channel...

2 hours ago, Hypnotoad said:

I'm debating going for the LTT screwdriver or this (because it's a stubby and I've found my cheapo Stanley bit-holding ratcheting screwdriver is too long or long enough to get annoying in lots of cases.

https://www.kctool.com/wera-008884-kraftform-kompakt-ra-2-ratcheting-stubby-screwdriver-with-bit-storage-6-pieces/

or

https://www.pbswisstools.com/en/tools/quality-hand-tools/screwdrivers/product/pb-8453r-30

My concern with that Wera is the fact that the driver gets fat immediately after the bit. I could see that becoming an issue quickly when using it in a tight place.

Just now, Ravendarat said:

My concern with that Wera is the fact that the driver gets fat immediately after the bit. I could see that becoming an issue quickly when using it in a tight place.

seems like you could still just use a longer driver/bit if you needed that kind of clearance, i think LTT needs to made a stubby driver next...

Just now, MrHaydenJr said:

seems like you could still just use a longer driver/bit if you needed that kind of clearance, i think LTT needs to made a stubby driver next...

For sure you can, it just means having to have one in your tool box/drawer as it doesnt have storage for one. IF the ltt driver holds up to the hype than I absolutely hope they do a stubby, id add them to my tool box.

2 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

For sure you can, it just means having to have one in your tool box/drawer as it doesnt have storage for one. IF the ltt driver holds up to the hype than I absolutely hope they do a stubby, id add them to my tool box.

not neccessarily look like their using the short bits, even a standard bit from the regular sized driver would fit... and give more clearance, i dont think one little stubby is going to be the last screwdriver you ever use, the stubby is a specialty tool that wouldnt see much use...

5 minutes ago, MrHaydenJr said:

not neccessarily look like their using the short bits, even a standard bit from the regular sized driver would fit... and give more clearance, i dont think one little stubby is going to be the last screwdriver you ever use, the stubby is a specialty tool that wouldnt see much use...

........... I dont think we are disagreeing on anything. I agree a regular bit would still give some extra clearance, but the handle still isnt supporting a longer bit either so youd still need to have storage outside the standard driver itself. But I dont think you are disagreeing on that?

On 8/19/2022 at 9:10 PM, Pitboy64 said:

Personally ... I'm not buying a screwdriver, and for just one reason.
The bit size is not standard, but fairly proprietary, at the very least it may be available from other makers/retailers ... but it is unusual compared to replacement bits available at hardware stores.  Linus saying that at some point having bit packs available ... means little. If I break a bit and I need a bit, I'll go to Home Depot and get a bit ... waiting for an online order is not an option.
For that reason alone ... I'll pass.
On day one ... its dated.
Shame, would have been cool.

I believe he stated that it supports regular bits as well. It just ships with a smaller form factor bit with the sole reason to fit in the butt of the screwdriver and the shorter bit allows the magnet to be 'stronger'. You should just be able to grab a pack of no.2 philips bits from home Depot and stick them in. 

Iirc

figures

On 3/29/2022 at 2:51 PM, Imbadatnames said:

Honestly $70 is a bit expensive. I can get a full Makita 227 piece kit for just a little bit more?

I'd buy Makita over LTT any day, unless the LTT is backed by a manufacturer like Snap On?  Who's going to honor the lifetime warranty?

Honestly, 99% of LTT buyers are using it to screw in PC parts, not something to test anything above a dollar store screw kit.   So why people are buying the LTT screw kit is painfully obvious.

I'd take advantage of you all too, it's a huge market of fans that will buy anything Linus touches.  All day every day 🙂

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

1 hour ago, Dedayog said:

I'd buy Makita over LTT any day, unless the LTT is backed by a manufacturer like Snap On?  Who's going to honor the lifetime warranty?

Honestly, 99% of LTT buyers are using it to screw in PC parts, not something to test anything above a dollar store screw kit.   So why people are buying the LTT screw kit is painfully obvious.

I'd take advantage of you all too, it's a huge market of fans that will buy anything Linus touches.  All day every day 🙂

Personally i work on anything from a xbox to a motor and have been building a ratchet screw driver collection trying to find something that is as good as my pistol grip stanley. so  I'm buying because i like quality ratcheting screw drivers and i will beat it within an inch of its life to make sure it is everything they say it is and more. we will see where it stands but I'm optimistic.

My name chef

9 minutes ago, Bi0 said:

Personally i work on anything from a xbox to a motor and have been building a ratchet screw driver collection trying to find something that is as good as my pistol grip stanley. so  I'm buying because i like quality ratcheting screw drivers and i will beat it within an inch of its life to make sure it is everything they say it is and more. we will see where it stands but I'm optimistic.

Same, I use my tools to build PCs, install appliances, brake jobs, engine work, etc.  Any decent tool set is fine, but my contention is LTT (a Tech Tuber) selling an expensive tool set to mostly nerds, cuz LTT. 

People aren't buying it because they need a top end tool set that blue collar workers pride themselves on (my old man was a skilled assembly worker).  When Mac and Snap On tool trucks CAME TO your business to sell or swap out tools, that's a big deal.

These are, IMO, to capitalize on his popularity and fan base.  Not to be used by the majority as heavy duty tools.

That's my argument.  Which I would do as well.  I'd fleece ALL the sheep, as many ways as I could.  I know LTT won't come out and say it but reading a lot of these posts just shows the blind fanaticism.  Quite interesting.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

12 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

Same, I use my tools to build PCs, install appliances, brake jobs, engine work, etc.  Any decent tool set is fine, but my contention is LTT (a Tech Tuber) selling an expensive tool set to mostly nerds, cuz LTT. 

People aren't buying it because they need a top end tool set that blue collar workers pride themselves on (my old man was a skilled assembly worker).  When Mac and Snap On tool trucks CAME TO your business to sell or swap out tools, that's a big deal.

These are, IMO, to capitalize on his popularity and fan base.  Not to be used by the majority as heavy duty tools.

That's my argument.  Which I would do as well.  I'd fleece ALL the sheep, as many ways as I could.  I know LTT won't come out and say it but reading a lot of these posts just shows the blind fanaticism.  Quite interesting.

I'll be holding any judgement until after i can review the product, I've been a long time viewer and would hope this was a "we can do this better" not "we can make money with this". From what i followed it seems to not be the latter from the care and development put into this but ultimately we will see.

My name chef

2 hours ago, Dedayog said:

I mean, it's always possible for someone "famous" to fleece their followers.

But if Linus had wanted to fleece people, he would have had some shop in china make a new ratcheting driver handle in his colors, with a logo, and called it a day.  Bought the 3-8$ Driver and sold it for 25-40$ and walked to the bank laughing.

The fact he's literally gone through a dozen revisions, to me, says he's actually trying to get a /really/ good product made.

8 hours ago, tkitch said:

I mean, it's always possible for someone "famous" to fleece their followers.

But if Linus had wanted to fleece people, he would have had some shop in china make a new ratcheting driver handle in his colors, with a logo, and called it a day.  Bought the 3-8$ Driver and sold it for 25-40$ and walked to the bank laughing.

The fact he's literally gone through a dozen revisions, to me, says he's actually trying to get a /really/ good product made.

your not wrong

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

On 8/21/2022 at 2:49 AM, NastyFlytrap said:

Yea... I agree, especially since im in europe.... Imagine stripping a bit like a philips size 2, and having to wait 3-5 weeks AND be delayed for another week while customs handle my VAT and tariff papers. 

*laughs in Australian* thats fucking cute

my TMB shirt was $45 usd.