LTT Screwdriver

Imbadatnames
8 minutes ago, Zomeguy said:

Just pulled out my ifixit kit they're 1/8"

Oh well, but hey... as someone pointed out there should be a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter somewhere!

17 minutes ago, FFrye said:

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to tools, I'm currently at work but, looking the iFixit kit on their website, it says it comes with an 1/4 to 4 adapter.

1259094697_ScreenShot2022-08-30at3_14_59PM.thumb.jpg.efe998be92f099793fe80cc1f89f0148.jpg

Wouldn't that mean that the iFixit bits are already 1/4 and thus, already compatible with the LTT Screwdriver?

My memory is ifixit bits are 1/8 not 1/4.  1/4 is a much more common standard, but I’ve seen 1/8 other places too.  1/8 is generally for really tiny stuff and can’t handle large screws.  1/4 is more generalized.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, FFrye said:

Oh well, but hey... as someone pointed out there should be a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter somewhere!

Don’t even need an adaptor.  Just use a 1/8 hex female.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

How do you know which wave you're in?

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Geforce RTX 3090 FE 

1 minute ago, AstroZombie1 said:

How do you know which wave you're in?

[interrupt trap halt error:  too May possible jokes]

2 hours ago, castlev said:

Wow, more than half of Wave 1 are sold, they are dropping like 1000 units every few minutes. Glad I got my order in. Can't wait to see the ebay scalper prices.

Same, probably gonna lose like 10 bucks per screwdriver if they try and resell them. Would definitely be enjoyable to watch!

Got my 2 pre-ordered, should be wave 1.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

3 hours ago, Neroon said:

Same, probably gonna lose like 10 bucks per screwdriver if they try and resell them. Would definitely be enjoyable to watch!

It certainly would. Wave 1 and 2 out of 7 are gone, in less than 8 hours. Afaik, black shaft is only a limited run? We'll see.

Wow about 66k sold now that means $4.65 million in sales so far on just the screwdrivers. Doesn't include stuff like extra bits and any other extras people ordered with them.

On 8/30/2022 at 3:02 PM, ChugDelirium said:

Could someone who has the screwdriver tell me how much it weighs with all twelve of the bits in it?

Something like 180g. I can't remember exact number but that was measured on a meh scale with about +/- 10g accuracy.

1 hour ago, jammer2001 said:

Would the screwdriver also fit iFixit bits?

My memory is that ifix it bits are smaller than 1/4”. One could use an adaptor though.

On 3/29/2022 at 4:33 PM, Ultraforce said:

There's not something inherently special with snap on it's just that they are made with good material and in the LMG Clips that talks a bit about the price of the screwdrivers and backpack(I will say his surprise about people asking why a screwdriver specializing in computer work would be that expensive is something that I don't understand since the video on LTTStore.com explicitly mentioned they were designed for computer work again and again, so it's reasonable to think oh it might not be using metals and plastics good for industrial work or for a boat.). The choice of price of Snap-On's is probably a combination of good materials having a lifetime warranty, being made in the USA and depending on the choice either having a bit that stays in the screwdriver well without being magnetic or having a good magnet for the magnetic one. Since Linus made a big deal about them having an excellent magnet. The bit holder included in the screwdriver also likely increases the price. Though I will say that I personally like looking at Lee Valley when it comes to tools that I don't know much about since they have kind of made their name on selling quality products and most of the screwdrivers that they sell don't have internal bit swapping so it's very possible that's a nice to have thing that people who are actually working in more normal jobs where screwdrivers come up a lot really don't care for that sort of mechanism.

It's better to say that it's tuned for computers, testing shoes it would easily handle most industrial and automotive work loads since it failed to fail with teh ammount of torque humans can generate without first adding in sheering forces.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got a shipping notification today of my two drivers. Should be here maybe Saturday or early next week.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

On 8/30/2022 at 3:16 PM, FFrye said:

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to tools, I'm currently at work but, looking the iFixit kit on their website, it says it comes with an 1/4 to 4 adapter.

1259094697_ScreenShot2022-08-30at3_14_59PM.thumb.jpg.efe998be92f099793fe80cc1f89f0148.jpg

Wouldn't that mean that the iFixit bits are already 1/4 and thus, already compatible with the LTT Screwdriver?

The opposite.  It does mean that the ifix it kits can use LTT bits with an adaptor though.  I suppose LTT could do a 1/4->4mm adaptor so it could use ifixit bits.  Then most standard replacable tip screwdrivers could use ifixit bit too.  All they would need is the adaptor.  There may already be one in which case an LTT screwdriver could use it just like any other 1/4” replacable tip screw driver.  1/4” is sort of the standard screwdriver tip.  The LTT tips are shorter so you can fit more of em in the handle but that’s it.  You can just take a standard tip and saw the back off to make an LTT tip.  You can even keep standard bits in an LTT screwdriver, you just can’t fit as many because they use up two slots.   Ifixit bits don’t work in standard screwdrivers without an adaptor though.   It’s sort of an argument for changing the length of the standard bit.  If standard bits were shorter all the standard screw drivers could fit a dozen bits in the handle just like the LTT screwdriver does and LTT wouldn’t have to have bits made special at all.   There are 4mm hex nuts and you could put one of those in a drill to use ifixit bits with a drill.  Wouldn’t be magnetic of course and the socket wouldn’t be very deep but you could do it.

a motherboard standoff is iirc 4.5mm so 4mm is just a bit smaller than that.  1/4” is 6.35mm so a fair amount larger.  They’re for different things really. 

I looked for a 1/4” male to 4mm female adaptor but I couldn’t find one

Edited by Bombastinator

My drivers have arrived. Not sure why I got mine so soon, someone I know has got a lower order number and it still hasn't shipped for him.

Anyway. Initial impressions. The packaging looks really good, though both drivers were dislodged from their spot in the packaging and one had the bit package dislodged. No damage or anything, and sure beats the impossible to open non biodegradable plastic packaging that tools normally come in.

Holding it unloaded its a pretty light driver. The plastic feels great in form and finish. Loaded it gains a good amount of heft but doesn't get back heavy. Ratchet selector feels good, very satisfying to switch through the directions. I do kinda wish it had an indicator in the handle to show which direction it is in at a glance. Knurling on the shaft is very aggressive. To the point where I wonder if it will catch and roll my nitrile gloves when using it. Shaft itself is pretty grippy with its finish (I got both in silver finishes). Bit magnet is strong but I can still easily remove a bit crab claw method one handed which was a big worry of mine. The shaft has quite a bit of fore and aft play, much more than I expected. Surprised it wasn't covered in any review. It was noticeable right away. Could be annoying when removing a bit, and letting the magnet pull in your new bit, then going to use the driver and having the shaft push in a bit. Will have to use it to decide if its annoying.

Drivers are very consistent between each other. Same backlash, same ratchet feel. Bit capsule and carousel feels the same. I'd pin the overall feel and quality right there with my snap on drivers, with the snap ons having a slight advantage with the rubberized grip and spot for a wrench on the shaft. With that considered, I don't see myself grabbing my snap ons over the LTT driver due the convenience of the interchangeable bits and bit holder preventing extra trips to the tool box which costs time and money.

44 minutes ago, vetali said:

My drivers have arrived. Not sure why I got mine so soon, someone I know has got a lower order number and it still hasn't shipped for him.

Anyway. Initial impressions. The packaging looks really good, though both drivers were dislodged from their spot in the packaging and one had the bit package dislodged. No damage or anything, and sure beats the impossible to open non biodegradable plastic packaging that tools normally come in.

Holding it unloaded its a pretty light driver. The plastic feels great in form and finish. Loaded it gains a good amount of heft but doesn't get back heavy. Ratchet selector feels good, very satisfying to switch through the directions. I do kinda wish it had an indicator in the handle to show which direction it is in at a glance. Knurling on the shaft is very aggressive. To the point where I wonder if it will catch and roll my nitrile gloves when using it. Shaft itself is pretty grippy with its finish (I got both in silver finishes). Bit magnet is strong but I can still easily remove a bit crab claw method one handed which was a big worry of mine. The shaft has quite a bit of fore and aft play, much more than I expected. Surprised it wasn't covered in any review. It was noticeable right away. Could be annoying when removing a bit, and letting the magnet pull in your new bit, then going to use the driver and having the shaft push in a bit. Will have to use it to decide if its annoying.

Drivers are very consistent between each other. Same backlash, same ratchet feel. Bit capsule and carousel feels the same. I'd pin the overall feel and quality right there with my snap on drivers, with the snap ons having a slight advantage with the rubberized grip and spot for a wrench on the shaft. With that considered, I don't see myself grabbing my snap ons over the LTT driver due the convenience of the interchangeable bits and bit holder preventing extra trips to the tool box which costs time and money.

Issue with the LTT driver is the durability. It won’t last as long as pretty much any brand name driver and is a downgrade on the megapro that it’s based off 

1 minute ago, Imbadatnames said:

Issue with the LTT driver is the durability. It won’t last as long as pretty much any brand name driver and is a downgrade on the megapro that it’s based off 

I'll let you know in a couple years. I've broken plenty of snap on drivers. 😉

29 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

What are you basing that on? I assume you arent basing that entire thing off of the one broken one from Jayz2cents but I havent seen any other testing showing that they have durability issues

2 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

What are you basing that on? I assume you arent basing that entire thing off of the one broken one from Jayz2cents but I havent seen any other testing showing that they have durability issues

I’m basing off of the design changes they made to the mechanism. They weakened the mechanism to make it feel better which obviously will impact durability over the long term. Obviously as they don’t offer a real warranty there’s no ill effects to LMG. 

4 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

I’m basing off of the design changes they made to the mechanism. They weakened the mechanism to make it feel better which obviously will impact durability over the long term. Obviously as they don’t offer a real warranty there’s no ill effects to LMG. 

Amazing, everything you said was false other than changing the mechanism.

You can watch the project farm video where he tests the mechanism. And no real warranty?

image.png.47d42876945034edfaa0c933b9afb7f3.png

Its about the same jargon as any other tool company puts on their lifetime warranty.

8 minutes ago, MrHaydenJr said:

So, just curious, what is this part ?

That's a screw (not included) being held on top of a bit in the shaft of the screwdriver.

Why did you screen record going to the website, clicking on the screwdriver, scrolling through the page, and then circling the image? You can take a screenshot by holding the power and volume down button, or you could just copy the image by hold pressing on the image and selecting copy image.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

That's a screw (not included) being held on top of a bit in the shaft of the screwdriver.

Why did you screen record going to the website, clicking on the screwdriver, scrolling through the page, and then circling the image? You can take a screenshot by holding the power and volume down button, or you could just copy the image by hold pressing on the image and selecting copy image.

It seems sunk in kinda deep to be a screw.  When I saw that I assumed it was a screw on a drywall bit or maybe a screw sleeve.  It may just be that way though. The bits are shorter after all.  If that is the case they might be difficult to change, though I haven’t heard they are.

Edited by Bombastinator