LTT Screwdriver

Imbadatnames

Is the screwdriver actually available? Or is it a waitlist thing?  It sounds useful to me.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

47 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Is the screwdriver actually available? Or is it a waitlist thing?  It sounds useful to me.

It's not shipping yet, the listing on lttstoredotcom is just a notification sign-up so you get an email when it does.

When Backpack launched, they did a pop-up shop first, then opened 'backorders' after a couple weeks. My guess is they're going to roll Screwdriver out the same way, since there's a pop-up shop scheduled for that now.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Has LTT released any information on the overall dimensions of their screwdriver? In particular I'm interested in the overall length (not including a bit inserted)

So screwdriver is going on sale in popup tomorrow and it's launching a couple days after that according to WAN show. Have they mentioned shipping dates tho? I'm trying to get the driver shipped with the backpack to reduce on shipping packages and also shipping cost hopefully.

On 8/25/2022 at 3:19 AM, volatus146 said:

*laughs in Australian* thats fucking cute

my TMB shirt was $45 usd.

That one is hard to figure out.  Best I could get is this

https://soundbible.com/tags-animal.html. There’s some laughing kookaburras in it.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

10 hours ago, Your_Stalker said:

So screwdriver is going on sale in popup tomorrow and it's launching a couple days after that according to WAN show. Have they mentioned shipping dates tho? I'm trying to get the driver shipped with the backpack to reduce on shipping packages and also shipping cost hopefully.

I dont think that is what they are aiming to do. Logistically going through and altering peoples backpack orders to add on other items might be a big undertaking. I dont work logistics so I am not sure. They did however say that anything ordered with a screwdriver would be held until the screwdriver was ready to ship to hopefully curb some of the confusion that happened with backpack orders where people paid to ship the back pack but then also paid for separate shipping on things like water bottles or tshirts that would be shipped out separate and earlier

Dear god the chat on youtube for the pop up shop is just pure cancer.

Just spammers calling linus all sorts of names etc.

May have missed it somewhere but does the screwdriver have a high engagement? Is servicing the mechanism a thing?

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

Please make a video only showing all the torque test contestants at the live event.  Some good editing/music could make it very entertaining.

1 hour ago, Aluminumhaste said:

You already said it's YouTube chat, no need to repeat yourself.

Tuned in on the stream, first torque test I saw and the driver broke at the tip of the shank due to tipping at an angle while torque testing it. Most are hitting 80 in-lb, some hitting 120ish. Which was about where I was expecting most people would get to going full gorilla on it. Seems to hold up well if you aren't hanging off it while doing a torque test lol.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

Catching up on the WAN show; the screwdriver will have a limited lifetime warranty, excluding bits. So what I expected after the backpack warranty. Also no limits for pre-orders/back-orders.

Linus was saying Tuesday/Wednesday for back-orders in the pop up stream.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2 hours ago, vetali said:

first torque test I saw and the driver broke at the tip of the shank

Really it broke? I didnt catch it on stream

3 minutes ago, crazzp said:

Really it broke? I didnt catch it on stream

timestamped link, if it doesn't work its 1:42:00 ish

2 minutes ago, vetali said:

Thanks, that's hilarious! Although I don't think anyone is going to use that much force on a screwdriver. 

I agree with the guy who mentioned that the bits could have a little reflective or silver in case anyone drops the bit in the pits of darkness to have an easier time finding.

3 minutes ago, crazzp said:

Thanks, that's hilarious! Although I don't think anyone is going to use that much force on a screwdriver. 

I agree with the guy who mentioned that the bits could have a little reflective or silver in case anyone drops the bit in the pits of darkness to have an easier time finding.

Or even make the standard bits color coded with a painted stripe, so you don't have to hunt for your bit. Rather just look for the color. I find silver bits harder to locate when they are dropped honestly, but thats me.

39 minutes ago, vetali said:

Or even make the standard bits color coded with a painted stripe

that would be cool too, perhaps LTT can have customized bits and monetize out of it xD
I think silver is good if you shine light on it. everything looks black without light

8 hours ago, Aluminumhaste said:

Dear god the chat on YouTube for_______________ is just pure cancer.

11 hours ago, vetali said:

And that's why the orange Snap-On SSDMR4B says "WARNING NOT A PRYBAR CHISEL OR PUNCH" on the handle. There's only about 1/4" of the bit actually in the shank, which itself is pretty thin around the bit hole.

That break was to be expected. 

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

And that's why the orange Snap-On SSDMR4B says "WARNING NOT A PRYBAR CHISEL OR PUNCH" on the handle. There's only about 1/4" of the bit actually in the shank, which itself is pretty thin around the bit hole.

That break was to be expected. 

I've used plenty of cheap interchangeable bit drivers (Pound/Dollar store specials) as chisels, and I don't think I've ever broken one.

I'm not sure if I'm making this up, but I seem to recall Linus saying that the shaft has been made thinner to allow for more clearance in heatsinks? 

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

Even so, the stress put on it here was far beyond any normal use whatsoever.

I heard a lot of positive things, and honestly the negative, while fair in some cases, just showed me why it's a great product. To tough to open it up the bit holder? Yeah I get it weak man, but another one was afraid it would open too easily while using it, so yeah obviously you can't do both without a completely different system. Which is fair if that's your thing, there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a different system, but that removes the quick bit changing aspect of it. Longer bits I get as well, at the same time Linus made clear they wanted the short bits to make the handle smaller, and make the magnet effect better.

So I didn't hear anything about bad manufacturing or flaws, but mostly just preferences. Personally I like that it holds 12 bits, 6 definitely isn't enough, 12 definitely feels like enough in 99% of the cases, and the cases where it's not, those would be instances where you will likely have the bits close to you anyway, because you are repairing stuff at like a shop or whatever.

Project Farm has 2 probably already there, so definitely looking forward to see what they can do with it, but so far it seems to be solid.

8 minutes ago, Neroon said:

I heard a lot of positive things, and honestly the negative, while fair in some cases, just showed me why it's a great product. To tough to open it up the bit holder? Yeah I get it weak man, but another one was afraid it would open too easily while using it, so yeah obviously you can't do both without a completely different system. Which is fair if that's your thing, there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a different system, but that removes the quick bit changing aspect of it. Longer bits I get as well, at the same time Linus made clear they wanted the short bits to make the handle smaller, and make the magnet effect better.

So I didn't hear anything about bad manufacturing or flaws, but mostly just preferences. Personally I like that it holds 12 bits, 6 definitely isn't enough, 12 definitely feels like enough in 99% of the cases, and the cases where it's not, those would be instances where you will likely have the bits close to you anyway, because you are repairing stuff at like a shop or whatever.

Project Farm has 2 probably already there, so definitely looking forward to see what they can do with it, but so far it seems to be solid.

If it was just 6 bits you go with a 6 in 1 screwdriver which is a totally different design.  That’s what I use now for building.  I could get away with a 5 in one as I don’t really use the big  hex for building.  Just the 1/4in hex.

Edited by Bombastinator

5 minutes ago, Neroon said:

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just that if the shaft was made thinner to allow better clearance in heatsinks, then that is probably a worthy compromise given the target market of the screwdriver.

I personally wouldn't use the integrated bit holder, I find them too much of a faff to use. I prefer to have my bits in a separate box so I can quickly grab them without having to disassemble the screwdriver. 

As for Project Farm, I'll have to wait until someone on here regurgitates his findings, I physically cannot watch his videos, they're just too shouty and American for my British tastes.

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

1 minute ago, yolosnail said:

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just that if the shaft was made thinner to allow better clearance in heatsinks, then that is probably a worthy compromise given the target market of the screwdriver.

I personally wouldn't use the integrated bit holder, I find them too much of a faff to use. I prefer to have my bits in a separate box so I can quickly grab them without having to disassemble the screwdriver. 

As for Project Farm, I'll have to wait until someone on here regurgitates his findings, I physically cannot watch his videos, they're just too shouty and American for my British tastes.

Lol.  I get that.  I constantly find sniperwolf at the top of my feed, but cannot stomach the woman.  Soooo annoying.  She curates other videos quite well but then ruins them by talking over them.  I  constantly find myself in a situation of  “oh that looks inter… oh.  Her.”