Discussion Question - How long have you been watching LTT and what's the biggest change you've seen in their videos in that time?

mod3rnnightmar3

I've noticed some big changes in LTT and their content in the time I've been watching since 2013, what have you noticed yourself?

8 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

They no longer make videos about RC fire trucks

ah yes, a true tragedy indeed!

Idk, since 2018 I think

100% more beard

about all the merch that they mention now weren’t in their wildest dreams back then

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Been watching for 10+ years. Joined the forum in the early days, like within half a month of the forum launching. (Linus's account dates back 1st of January 2013. I signed up on the 16 of january 2013)

Biggest change? The clickbait and useless titles.

Videos no longer having titles that represent what's in the video and instead have things like "I hate this..." (or whatever other crappy title like that).

Basically not saying what the video is really about. In the beginning, when NCIX was still a thing, the videos at least had the product name in the title so you'd know what it was about before having to click on it. Now you have to click, maybe check the description or skip through a bit of the video before closing the tab because you're entirely uninterested by whatever the subject matter is.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Linus isn’t in a scrappy backroom like setting and doesn’t look 14, and onto you, next caller?

I can remember watching him unbox shit on a bench in the parking lot. They handled the change from unboxing to full product reviews and showcases so well though I hardly noticed it at the time though.

Also checked my account creation date and I guess I've been here since Jan 5th 2013, so I think that makes me a fairly senior member.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

Didn't there used to be another guy who did videos with Linus? "Lou" or something? I miss him. He was way better than Linus at everything. I hope he's the CEO of his own company or something, and that's why he left.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

I started watching in the house era, although I think because I was watching old content LTT already moved into the dedicated space at that point. IMO while production quality has gone up, the fun and charm has gone away. I miss Berkel annoying Taran. That was peak content. Luke's mum was also a great visitor to much content.

I hardly watch now. Linus was better than much of the cringe out there, but maybe YouTube has forced him to follow and it is often painful to watch since beard era. For some reason I'm still on this forum. 

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

36 minutes ago, Helpful Tech Wiard said:

Idk, since 2018 I think

100% more beard

about all the merch that they mention now weren’t in their wildest dreams back then

Well seemed like his balls finally dropped like his jaw in thumbnails. But ngl I kinda liked the "lesbian" Linus

I've been following LTT since Linus was at NCIX and he segregated into his own channel, before eventually starting LanglyHome. 

I remember the kitchen videos, I remember content going live at 4am because Lukes rendering rig would crash multiple times and it would go up late.

I remember Luke+Linus going to the local coffee shop to do an upload because someone knocked out the node on their street.

I watched the Firetruck video within days of it going live. 

Notable changes are they no longer have their server room in a bathroom. No more file backup in the sink and switch in the tub. It's incredible to look back and see how far they've come to be honest. Linus is the true definition of "started from the bottom now we're here" lol

My rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 3.6Ghz, OC'ed to 4.2Ghz all core @ 1.25v + Corsair H60 120mm AIO

MB: Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi

RAM: Kingston Fury Beast RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3600mhz CL16 (1-to-1 Infinity Fabric enabled)

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super

*bought for $200 CAD off a friend who needed an RTX 3080, price was my reward.

CASE: InWinn A1 Plus in White with included 600w gold sfx PSU and included custom length cables

DISPLAY: 3x 20" AOC 1080p 60hz 4ms ,  32" RCA 1080p/60hz TV mounted above, all on a single arm.

Storage: C : 1TB WD Blue NVMe      D : 2TB Barracuda      E: 240GB Kingston V300 (scratch drive)

NAS: 240GB Kingston A400 + 6x 10+ year old 700GB Barracuda drives in my old FX8350+8GB DDR3 system

Logitech G15 1st Gen + Logitech G602 Wireless

Steam Controller +  Elite Series 2 controller + Logitech G29 Racing Wheel + Wingman Extreme Digital 3D Flight Stick

Sennheiser HD 4.40 Headphones + Pixel Buds 2 + Logitech Z213 2.1 Speakers

My Girlfriends Weeb-Ass Rig:

Razer Blade Pro 17 2020

10th Gen i7 10875H 8c/16t @5.1ghz 

17.3" 1080p 300Hz 100% sRGB, factory calibrated, 6mm bezel

RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB

512GB generic NVMe

16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz

Wireless-AX201 (802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax), Bluetooth® 5.1, 2.5Gbit Ethernet

70.5 Whr Battery

Razer Huntsman Quartz, Razer Balistic Quartz, Razer Kraken Quartz Kitty Heaphones

*deep breath*

Razer Raptor 27" monitor, IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

I found the channel a few of years ago after doing a search for information on threadripper.

LTT doesn't feature a lot of workstation oriented stuff, and that's fine because there's not much to say about workstations. Hard to get sponsors excited about workstations which in many cases is basically a boring, graphically challenged, gaming computer anyway.

The merchandise thing is obnoxious, but that's what works.

Unboxing and content related to gaming is not for me.

I thought the recent Linux challenge was good content.

I discovered LTT back in 2014 when I was researching the then novel ultra wide monitors.

I actually just looked up and watched a few videos from 6-7 years ago to contrast against their latest content. I noted many differences in their videos and find myself often not entertained anymore by the new stuff. The horrible click bait titles certainly don't help as they don't say anything about the content of the video itself.

Linus himself seems to have become just a meme. Besides LTT Store callouts, he is always parroting phrases like "Here we go boys" and generally appears non-genuine. He doesn't appear vested or knowledgable in the topic of the video anymore and is just there as a host to act and behave like a monkey on energy drinks. I think part of this is because Linus no longer does the majority of the leg work behind the video, so he really isn't actually presenting his own work, and it shows. The last videos where I remember seeing a genuine Linus was when he did those more freestyle presentations in his office with the test bench and wall TV.

As for video content, everything now is a formulaic "lets build a PC with this brand's part" or "lets react to this thing" or "lets put together this thing and pretend things are going wrong." There are no more, or very few, true ambitious or novel projects. There have been a few, but their presentation style doesn't change so they just blend in.

Of course their production quality has greatly improved but it doesn't match their image. I enjoyed the scrappiness of the old kitchen set days more. Now they have all the gear, and staff, and a real studio but their production still pretends they are a startup in the house. Contrast this to MKBHD whose videos have a much more serious tone which matches their production. Not saying LTT needs to change their tone to be like MKBHD, but that it's hard/impossible to fake being scrappy. 

All in all, I think LTT has become a machine to feed the algorithm. Look up any advice for starting a Youtube channel and it says to make videos you're enthusiastic about and the viewers will come. LTT has done the opposite and only makes videos which are metrically successful. Linus even said so himself in a recent WAN show, that each upload needs to achieve 1M+ views to simply break even. 

I started watching Linus back in 2013 when a college friend of mine introduced him to me. Since then I would watch his videos regularly for about 4 years but around that time I found myself gravitating towards other tech youtubers content as I found LTT not as in depth which to some extent I think is intentional as not everyone has the attention span to go through an indepth review with complicated and confusing vocabulary at times. I personally don't watch LTT very often anymore but I think the reason is I am not the target audience anymore. Granted I still enjoy their reviews laptops and other devices and they still do a solid job imo. Personally I think the most important thing to note is that it isn't realistic for LTT to stay the same as everyone changes over time I know I have changed so to expect LTT to stay the same is simply unrealistic. Honestly what Linus has done with LTT is pretty incredible and he deserves alot of credit for that especially now that his operation is do big it sorta makes sense that with them putting out so much content it might not have as much charm as some use to feel. Personally I think that might be nostalgia more so than actually reality as I find this is the case for alot of things when things change people will miss the way things used to be. 

I've watched since 2009 I think. I started watching while looking for new case. I've watched the Friday show almost from beginning (Linus with crappy webcam was not my gist, but as soon as he got capture card, it was all good). 

From what I see, most people bring up sentimental things about persons. I don't get attached to such. Persons change, quite often even. 

The bigger changes for me are styles. Video and audio quality overall has gone to better to a point where it doesn't matter. Content has gone worse to a point where I'm not really interested about 70% of videos made. I don't like scripted content that much. Be it scripted reviews, or worse, scripted BTS and vlogs. I have stopped watching any channel with such crap. LMG has made two videos in that manner. One made me hate Riley, and other made me hate any content made by Madison. Good thing neither makes the main content I like to watch (and one no longer being employed). So maybe you guess what kind of content I do like? Non-scripted videos made with vlog-style. ShortCircuit videos are mainly good. ChannelSuperFun is mainly good. From main channel videos where core is given, but rest happens naturally are good. Like Intel Extreme Upgrade ones. There's premise, plan of action and expected results, but how things proceed through out, interactions, issues, solving problems, that still reminds of the old days when review/unboxing was just box of something, without any teleprompter read-out.

Commercializing was inevitable. And it is in some way part of most channels I watch. Be it with b-roll ads, baked-in merch plugs or half of content being sponsored. Not gonna be hater, thats just how business works. If you want to hate and wish for something else, there are still smaller channels doing pure content to get into.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 3/17/2022 at 2:15 PM, porina said:

IMO while production quality has gone up, the fun and charm has gone away.

This is the issue that happens with A LOT of things.

It happened to videogames too.

I LOVE Chrono Trigger for example (see avatar). It had a lot of charm to it.
Newer games cost 100x as much to make and market. They also are WAY more polished and way better thought out. But the smoothed edges make things worse. Think Final Fantasy 15.

I think charm is a function of quirks. If you focus group EVERYTHING most of the quirks get ironed out and that individual segment of a game gets a little bit better. But the overall whole is worse for people who value some level of quirkiness.

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

Been watching since Paul did his first new egg video, biggest ltt change 🤔 video quality and Linus isn't as pastey skinned or squeaky

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

cant really remember the fist video but i remember noctua fans,fire truck,  and stopped watching after dyson vacuum video/ car rad thing.

the reviews didn't seem all that good any more and was hard to find what was manufacturers notes and his notes and way to much ads. the wan show is ok here and there.

probably the turning point was switching to non tech sponsors and gn review of ltt

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

I've been watching since around the "tools for building a pc" video. I didn't really know about them (NCIX or Linus, I mean) before then, but I was definitely building and upgrading computers before then, with help from a relative.

Biggest change(s)? They're able to do a series like the Intel $5,000 Extreme Tech Upgrade.

Edited by GeorgeMKane

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

Scripting and planning 

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

My first video was watching the Core-i7-980x unboxing. I was in between classes in college when I happened across it.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

For me, Linus grew a beard. I still like the clean shave Linus better because he kinda look good.

Anyway, other than that, the content is technically having ups and downs. For starter, the contents are much well easier to follow and clean, but of course promoting LTT store dot com way too often in my opinion.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

On 3/18/2022 at 2:44 PM, LogicalDrm said:

One made me hate Riley, and other made me hate any content made by Madison. Good thing neither makes the main content I like to watch (and one no longer being employed). 

Whoa whoa! What happened? Was it Riley or Madison who got the axe? My guess is Madison, because Riley is just too good of a Tech Linked host to get the boot, but why?

OT: I started watching around the time the whole room watercooling was a thing. I was a kid back then who had learned for the first time that water can be used to cool components. It just blew my mind what Linus was doing at the time.

For me, I got pulled in due to content like this. The whole room water coolng project, the moving vlog, I loved the tech vlog concept and I just miss those kind of videos.

The scripted ones are good, maybe 2 out of 7 in a week are the ones that entice me, but I loved Linus figuring stuff out on camera, along with Luke who used to chime in. Fun times.

These days, the vlogs also seem somewhat scripted and cut short, but I still watch those, don't know of any other tech tuber doing these anyway.