Newegg "Roll[s] a Critical Failure" - Tech Jesus Rants about "Scam"

15 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

I don't know, mate

If someone asked to come into my house with a camera crew, I'd refuse even if there's nothing to hide

A company that has just been accused of taking advantage of returns to make money and your own house are two different things. Not comparable imo.

Or you did something wrong that would give me a reason to show up at your door 🤔

I doubt you can just waltz into any company with a camera crew, even if you announced it on social media, and yes, refusing would make you sus especially after you committed something as stupid as Newegg did

Imo, this is pretty unprofessional for GN to do, but I guess it gets him drama and views, so it makes sense as an entertainer

GamersNexus would disagree pretty heavily with you viewing them as entertainers. While their videos do include some humor, they're mostly informative, not entertaining. I do enjoy Steve's "i don't take your shit" stance though. You could argue it's quite entertaining seeing scummy brands or companies getting their asses handed to them.

Let's all storm Newegg, they can't stop all of us

Just watch the local police get a panic attack expecting hundreds of people trying to tear down the Newegg building and in the end one car pulls up with Steve and a camera man getting out in front of 10 busses worth of riot police.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

2 hours ago, Jaxseven said:

Summary

Gamers Nexus recently announced on their Tweeter they will be flying out to Newegg’s headquarters to confront them about the recent RMA scandal amongst others.

This should be interesting.

2 hours ago, Jaxseven said:

Reason I bring this up is we know Steve doesn’t take BS and I’m sure Newegg knows this.

How many tech influencers exist? Probably more than 3. LTT is #11 in Tech, GN is under Games and is ranked #580. Maybe GN should move their category to Tech, since they seem to be mostly about tech news/reviews in the same way LTT is. (These are from SocialBlade, don't @  me.)

29 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

Didn't he do that already with that company he charged with improperly benchmarking Intel CPUs?

Yeah, "Principled Technologies."

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

6 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

A company that has just been accused of taking advantage of returns to make money and your own house are two different things. Not comparable imo.

It just puts Newegg in a really bad spot is all I'm saying

They have the right to refuse, but the impact of them refusing would be pretty bad, so they don't really have a choice

It's analogous to your boss asking if you can work extra hours on a busy weekend, even if you don't really want to, you can refuse but you'd probably reduce the "work reputation" that you have by doing so

10 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Or you did something wrong that would give me a reason to show up at your door 

🥺 Would this face ever harm a soul?

12 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

GamersNexus would disagree pretty heavily with you viewing them as entertainers. While their videos do include some humor, they're mostly informative, not entertaining.

In my eyes they are factual (though occasionally contains wrong info, rare, but happens because they're human) entertainers. In the same category as LTT except they are more dependable for info than LTT

I don't find them being serious enough to not be called an entertainer, the memes, and relentless salt rubbing into the wounds (ie, repeatedly showing H1 fire video every opportunity they have, even if they're reviewing a case from Nzxt that doesn't have a riser, or keep on showing the gigabyte exploding clip, even though at this point both are getting old imo)

I get that drama drives views, and clearly people like drama, bonus points to GN because those drama actually helps the consumer, rather than pointless drama.

But personally I just don't like the way they approach things, even though it's probably the most effective way to go about it, so I've no real complaints

18 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Just watch the local police get a panic attack expecting hundreds of people trying to tear down the Newegg building and in the end one car pulls up with Steve and a camera man getting out in front of 10 busses worth of riot police.

He'll just split the police apart like the red sea in the bible

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

7 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Yes, absolutely.

I don't trust cats.

/s

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

It just puts Newegg in a really bad spot is all I'm saying

They have the right to refuse, but the impact of them refusing would be pretty bad, so they don't really have a choice

I'd say that's the whole reason Steve actually bought the plane tickets. He knows he wins either way. Newegg fucked up beyond recovery at this point.

It's analogous to your boss asking if you can work extra hours on a busy weekend, even if you don't really want to, you can refuse but you'd probably reduce the "work reputation" that you have by doing so

Can't really relate to that. I know this exists and i know this is more common in the US, but if i say that i don't have time it wouldn't have any  consequence other than maybe a look of dissapointment.

The most innocent people commit the worst crimes.

In my eyes they are factual (though occasionally contains wrong info, rare, but happens because they're human) entertainers. In the same category as LTT except they are more dependable for info than LTT

The reason why their content is more dependable is because they rely almost exclusively on data, not subjective opinions to make their conclusions. There are a few "cases" where subjective opinions cannot be replaced by data, like in their case reviews.

I don't find them being serious enough to not be called an entertainer, the memes, and relentless salt rubbing into the wounds (ie, repeatedly showing H1 fire video every opportunity they have, even if they're reviewing a case from Nzxt that doesn't have a riser, or keep on showing the gigabyte exploding clip, even though at this point both are getting old imo)

Their salt rubbing is just the icing on the cake for me. Honestly, their content would just be boring without it. I think they found an excellent middle ground with their content and humor.

I get that drama drives views, and clearly people like drama, bonus points to GN because those drama actually helps the consumer, rather than pointless drama.

But personally I just don't like the way they approach things, even though it's probably the most effective way to go about it, so I've no real complaints

GN and Newegg replying to each others video posts and press releases would just make this unneccesarily long. Other media would've taken the chance and make this a series. GN takes the head on approach, hopefully concluding it in one more video. If anything, this strengthens their integrity imo.

He'll just split the police apart like the red sea in the bible

Or they'll be so afraid they instantly shoot him. You never know in the US.

/s

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

2 hours ago, SlidewaysZ said:

He will just be met at the door with lawyers telling him to get lost. Look Newegg has a monopoly on the computer market plain and simple. The computer parts industry is riddled with the graves of old companies trying to make it work but margins are so tight you have to be extremely cutthroat to make it. I'm not defending them I just don't see how it's going to change anything when ultimately the rage will be very short lived when Newegg will be the only place still selling you computer parts unless of course you would rather pay Bestbuy $200 a year for the privilege of buying a part or buy from Amazon who has their own issues (they will just terminate your account if they don't like how many returns you have done). 

that why people dont understand microcenter cant grow as a company. and has stay so dam small.

but at tthe same time. people think there everywhere do to not doing any research 

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

51 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Yeah, "Principled Technologies."

People be acting like this is out of character for Steve when he's done exactly this before! I'd expect nothing less

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

36 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

I'd say that's the whole reason Steve actually bought the plane tickets. He knows he wins either way. Newegg fucked up beyond recovery at this point.

Again, relentless salt rubbing

But hey, if someone can monetize the downfall of Newegg, go for it

The most innocent people commit the worst crimes.

44 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

Yes, absolutely.

I don't trust cats.

/s

Shit, my cover's blown, time to retaliate image.png.25e7898746a1aa4cc1577ce6c9d01ce2.png

Their salt rubbing is just the icing on the cake for me. Honestly, their content would just be boring without it. I think they found an excellent middle ground with their content and humor.

So, entertainer?

I find them too cynical, but, again, it helps the consumers, so I've no complaints

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

3 hours ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

Anyone want to make Steve siege Newegg HQ?

Anyone?

/s

Artillery strike them with the Gigabyte PSUs from their own GPU bundles - Karmic Justice!!

@Jaxseven I have merged your thread into the original thread surrounding the GN/Newegg story since its just an extension/continuation of this with new developments. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Buys 5 Samsung monitors each doa or awfull quality, total silence no one cares.

5 hours ago, SlidewaysZ said:

He will just be met at the door with lawyers telling him to get lost. Look Newegg has a monopoly on the computer market plain and simple. The computer parts industry is riddled with the graves of old companies trying to make it work but margins are so tight you have to be extremely cutthroat to make it. I'm not defending them I just don't see how it's going to change anything when ultimately the rage will be very short lived when Newegg will be the only place still selling you computer parts unless of course you would rather pay Bestbuy $200 a year for the privilege of buying a part or buy from Amazon who has their own issues (they will just terminate your account if they don't like how many returns you have done). 

If lawyers tell him to go away then I think it would the reputation of newegg even more.

But I disagree that newegg has a monopoly on the computer market, they're one of the few computer hardware retailers left, though they've gone downhill for a while and kinda ruined their specializing in computer parts by allowing in third party sellers and selling things besides computer parts. I think the only advantage newegg has is their search filtering, the only thing I use newegg for anymore is to find something then I usually buy it on Amazon, B&H is also a good option for computer parts.

I have no problem with buying from Bestbuy, I just won't buy a graphics card there if they paywall all of them. And newegg isn't any better since they put a lot of their GPU's behind the shuffle, you have to enter in a drawing every day at times that are only convenient for scalpers, to even have the privilege at "winning" the chance to buy a GPU newegg placed a significant price increase on.

3 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

Breaking news: Newegg HQ raided by Tech Jesus

3000+ comments

also

hvwn5dtuiqh81.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/ss2xo3/tech_jesus_giveth_and_tech_jesus_taketh_away/

Like, I hope the fallout of GN going there is that Steve and maybe a handful of other tech people back him up peacefully. If a mob shows up, things might turn negative, since a "mob of idiots" tends to be counter-productive.

But yeah, GN has a rather specific kind of "consumer reports" kind of activism, where he just tests things and reports on the findings. Occasionally there's some entertaining lead-in's on videos like with the MSI ones. But everyone has to remember that that certain companies have garbage reputations, precisely because they don't fix their transgressions, and sometimes double down on being evil. MSI is over-marketed for such poor build quality. It's like if they spent even half their marketing budget on QA, maybe they wouldn't keep getting so much flack for their products being on the poor end of the build quality scale.

This Newegg thing, is the precise "doubling down on being evil" kind of thing that we should literately not be giving business to.

6 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Like, I hope the fallout of GN going there is that Steve and maybe a handful of other tech people back him up peacefully. If a mob shows up, things might turn negative, since a "mob of idiots" tends to be counter-productive.

Personally I think this is best case scenario for Newegg, and it's in their court to make it happen. Steve shows up. No angry mob to cause unneeded tension. They do the normal PR "This won't happen again" thing. Then take Steve to show him how RMAs are handled. Mistakes happen. Show him how these can happen and allow him to give the advice that he will on how to repair your RMA process.

Even if Newegg doesn't listen, it makes it look like they are and that they are trying to fix the cause of this. 99% of people would see "nEw EgG gOoD. problem fixed" what does the other 1% matter to them or their bottom line.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

17 minutes ago, Kisai said:

3000+ comments

also

hvwn5dtuiqh81.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/ss2xo3/tech_jesus_giveth_and_tech_jesus_taketh_away/

But yeah, GN has a rather specific kind of "consumer reports" kind of activism, where he just tests things and reports on the findings. Occasionally there's some entertaining lead-in's on videos like with the MSI ones. But everyone has to remember that that certain companies have garbage reputations, precisely because they don't fix their transgressions, and sometimes double down on being evil. MSI is over-marketed for such poor build quality. It's like if they spent even half their marketing budget on QA, maybe they wouldn't keep getting so much flack for their products being on the poor end of the build quality scale.

This Newegg thing, is the precise "doubling down on being evil" kind of thing that we should literately not be giving business to.

There is a “thermal pate” on the item

pray to god, for now jesus is at your door.

Selling customer service as his god told him, giving you the 10 commandments of tech support.

The newegg twitter post sounds like PR damage control, also using the "very small number" claim with their mishandling returns, sounds a lot like apple with them trying to dismiss any problem.

I think its too late because newegg customer service has been terrible for years.

10 hours ago, Hybris5112 said:

When I saw Steve's announcement it feels really out of character for him and the professionalism that he has been really pushing hard to build for all of these years. I think this might actually somehow blow up in his face if he really is going to their doorstep.

Don't see how. It's not unprofessional to be pro-consumer, and it's not inherently unprofessional to seek out answers.

10 minutes ago, Jaesop said:

Don't see how. It's not unprofessional to be pro-consumer, and it's not inherently unprofessional to seek out answers.

It's unprofessional to try and force an answer by announcing on social media that they will be coming to your front door complete with camera crew. That's not how professionals get business done, its a type of gonzo journalism that I would expect out of Buzzfeed or perhaps The Verge instead of the email and phone call trails that Steve has used in the past to hunt down answers with other companies.

I had come to expect higher standards out of the GN team I will say again this feels extremely out of character for Steve but because its drama everyone is quick to blindly jump to his defense instead of asking "Why this way?".

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

On 2/10/2022 at 7:16 PM, wanderingfool2 said:

wow this just turned really bad for NewEgg.

🙂

They really got...

😎

Egg on their face.

Edited by Needfuldoer
This is a terrible page snipe and I am sorry

I sold my soul for ProSupport.