Samsung aims to release 34" OLED ultrawide monitors in 2022

Stahlmann

Summary

OLED displays already conquered the high-end TV market because of their inherited technological advantages compared to their LCD counterparts. Samsung seems to be the first brand trying to get gaming monitors to the people using their new QD-OLED (Quantum Dot Organic Light Emitting Diode) display technology.

Quotes

QD Display will mass-produce 65- and 55-inch TVs and 34-inch monitors, see market reactions, and decide whether to increase production, next year's sales target is minimal, but we're looking forward to five years. - Choi Joo-sun (CEO of Samsung Display)

Small and medium-sized displays have taken all-time sales, sales, and utilization rates this time," and "AR· OLED is not yet very important in the vr (augmented reality, virtual reality), gaming, and laptop markets. That's how much potential the display has. - Choi Joo-sun (CEO of Samsung Display)

My thoughts

Samsung wants to take the initiative and bring OLED to monitors, which makes me personally very happy. Ever since i have had my C9 OLED i have been looking forward to see this technology in monitors. OLED's inherently fast pixel response times and superb picture quality can help Samsung to release some currently unrivaled products.

As there are no displays using Samsungs QD-OLED technology currently on the market there is no information about how susceptible they are to burn-in. And because of this we also don't have any context for how pricing may play out.

Another problem is that Samsung has had a lot of issues with recent monitor releases. The original G7 and G9, plus the newer Neo G9 models have been plagued with issues since their original launch. Some of these issues are solved while others still linger around.

I'm very interested in how this plays out. Maybe we'll see other brands like LG jumping on the band wagon.

Sources

CHOI JOO-SUN'S FUTURE STRATEGY...'QD COMMERCIALIZATION· OLED TRANSITION' (edaily.co.kr)

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

This definitely has potential so long as they can cure the OLED burn-in. That will be very problematic for gaming since HUD's are generally static and a lot of people have a favorite game they ALWAYS play. Also, this would essentially force to have a revolving/changing background in windows and hiding the taskbar to prevent that from burning in as well. However, it definitely has possibilities. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Huh, Samsung selling OLED panels after vehemently refusing to do so. Nice. Shows that maybe OLED has something.

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Confidence that these will be any good is low since their current ultrawides are just a big bag of crap unless you get lucky. That and burn in.

6 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Confidence that these will be any good is low since their current ultrawides are just a big bag of crap unless you get lucky. That and burn in.

I'd argue that OLED displays are easier to do because they have less parts, like not having to introduce complicated FALD backlights. But yes, seeing how the Neo G9 went my hopes aren't that high. I'll definetly not pre-order anything from them. But who knows, maybe they turn out great. I'm sure Hardware Unboxed will be all over it when it finally comes.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

A 34 inch ultrawide OLED would finally be something worthy of replacing my PG348Q...

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

4 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

A 34 inch ultrawide OLED would finally be something worthy of replacing my PG348Q...

I just hope it's not a 1000R curve again...

Lets hope they first improve their monitor and TV QA because its horrible. 

While it sounds awesome, I'm still rather skeptical using OLED for a monitor. I doubt a company would create problems for them selves with them getting burn-in issues and returns within a year. Then on the other hand, since it seems they're actually doing this, maybe they found some way to improve upon the issue? I guess we will have to see, also over time how it turns out. Even on top of that, price for sure will be very high and when you also include the risk, yeah really not sure how it will go.

Definitely glad that we may finally start moving away from LCD in monitor space, but it will be very slow sadly. Even these are not here yet, can't even imagine MicroLED when.

Personally not fan of ultra-wide a bit odd choice they're going really. Though I guess maybe better than LG with their 48" even 42" it's just huge. I'd like to see Samsung do a 32" 4k 240Hz OLED though, that would be way more appealing to see. Also in time I'd expect someone to make an 1080p 1000Hz OLED esports monitor.

So in short, main issue, burn-in, how sure are they about that not being an issue since they're giving it a go for a monitor? Another is price, even todays top monitors are insanely priced, while being LCD and first gen OLED ones, can expect quite insane price.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

47 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Personally not fan of ultra-wide a bit odd choice they're going really. Though I guess maybe better than LG with their 48" even 42" it's just huge. I'd like to see Samsung do a 32" 4k 240Hz OLED though, that would be way more appealing to see. Also in time I'd expect someone to make an 1080p 1000Hz OLED esports monitor.

To be fair most of Samsungs recent higher end offerings have been odd choices. 1000R curve, 32:9 aspect ratio, etc. But i do appreciate them trying new things instead of offering the same monitors as their competitors.

4K 240Hz would actually be possible with current DP 1.4 DSC capable GPUs. At least in terms of bandwidth capabilities, not performance of course (other than CS:GO, Valorant, Rainbow Six Siege, the usual)

And thanks to OLED actually having >1ms pixel response time without any marketing mumbo jumbo a 1000Hz panel would even be possible for hardcore e-sport people.

Dang, I just bought that new Gigabyte IPS ultrawide on Newegg! Well, at least there'll be more upgrade options for 34" ultrawides when the time comes I suppose... Hopefully they'll add high refresh rates later on if they don't directly release with them.

Intel i7 3770 | ASUS P8Z77-V | 32GB Kingstorn HyperX Fury | ASUS Dual Radeon RX 480 (4GB)

512GB Samsung 840 Pro | 3TB WD Green | Corsair CX500 | Corsair Carbide 500R

Ultrawide monitors.... Ugh, why not 16:9 and 16:10 monitors. What is Samsung thinking to not release the latter?

But Samsung have a bad reputation regarding G9/Neo and other G series monitors so they better gotta improve their quality-control. But the prices will probably too high. If only ultrawide OLED monitors, then LG 42C2 it is.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

price +++++

durability issues and cheap design like their other wide monitors?

thanks samsung, and for multi-monitor, one side of the monitor will be used more and have more static images?

I'm curious how a QD version will compare to a normal one. It will probably be expensive, but it's good to see some serious offers coming in. Personally I'm still not sure I'd dare use an OLED as monitor with all the static elements.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

24 minutes ago, tikker said:

I'm curious how a QD version will compare to a normal one. It will probably be expensive, but it's good to see some serious offers coming in. Personally I'm still not sure I'd dare use an OLED as monitor with all the static elements.

Afaik QD OLEDs are significantly different from LG's OLED panels. They don't use a WRGB subpixel structure, which will improve color volume and text clarity for PC users. LG OLEDs currently cannot cover the brighter colors as well because they need the 4th white subpixel to boost brightness, which results in less color saturation at higher brightness. I'm very interested how this newer OLED technology from Samsung will stack up.

30 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

price +++++

durability issues and cheap design like their other wide monitors?

thanks samsung, and for multi-monitor, one side of the monitor will be used more and have more static images?

Like i said above, we don't know yet how susceptible these panels will be to burn in. For all we know it might be a non-issue, or it might be worse. Time will tell.

Pricing will likely be several thousand $ for this one. It's going to serve the ultra-high-end market with the usual early-adopter tax.

1 hour ago, IPD said:

Another prison-window display offering.  Le Sigh.

21:9 Ultrawide is not really "prison window" imo. It adds a lot of immersion without being ridiculous like the 32:9 super-ultrawides.

I had an ultrawide several years ago, then went back to 16:9 and ultimately ended up at 21:9 again because it's just better for a computer monitor imo. The wider screen helps me with multitasking and like i said it adds some more immersion to your games. But you have to be willing to tinker a bit though to make some games work perfectly.

5 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

I had an ultrawide several years ago, then went back to 16:9 and ultimately ended up at 21:9 again because it's just better for a computer monitor imo. The wider screen helps me with multitasking and like i said it adds some more immersion to your games. But you have to be willing to tinker a bit though to make some games work perfectly.

until its all in VR

5 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

21:9 Ultrawide is not really "prison window" imo. It adds a lot of immersion without being ridiculous like the 32:9 super-ultrawides.

http://www.displaywars.com/34-inch-21x9-vs-40-inch-16x9

I'll keep 16:9

7 hours ago, IPD said:

Your choice, but for me personally 40"+ 16:9 displays are out of the question. They're just too damn big for the distance i'm sitting at. Plus the PPI is not as good anymore, resulting in roughly the same sharpness as a 27" 1440p monitor.

7 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

until its all in VR

No i tried it several times, VR is not something worth investing into atm. Until we can figure out a way to freely move in VR without needing a joystick or ingame teleporting. Plus the VR space is heavily lacking good games. Most of them are just short games or simple concepts like a shooting range, etc.

How fast does OLED degrade? Does the color dull after a year if I crank up the brightness? (I do game at high brightness for lower reaction time)

I want OLED for their response time, but not if that means I have to change my monitor yearly

Also, Samsung display, they've been having issues lately (some blame DSC too, idk)

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

19 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

How fast does OLED degrade? Does the color dull after a year if I crank up the brightness? (I do game at high brightness for lower reaction time)

So far i've used my C9 OLED for two years, probably about 2-4 hours each day if i'd have to guess the average. Most of the time i play HDR games when using the TV, so it mostly runs at higher brightness. So far there is absolutely no sign of image degradation, worse colors, lower brightness or burn in. I just calibrated it again 1 week ago, so i don't just know from a subjective point of view, but also the measurement values that haven't changed since my first calibration when the TV was a bout 2 weeks old.

I want OLED for their response time, but not if that means I have to change my monitor yearly

Samsung's QD OLED is very different from LG's current WRGB OLED panels. So anything we currently know about LG's OLED longevity or picture quality (color gamut, accuracity, text sharpness etc.) does not apply. And right now there is no QD OLED panel on the market, so we have absolutely no context to make any claims about that kind of stuff.

Also, Samsung display, they've been having issues lately (some blame DSC too, idk)

Yeah the blame on DSC is BS. There are plenty of brands using it nowadays, and i've not seen any signs of it introducing problems. Samsung's bad firmware is on Samsung alone.