I Spent a THOUSAND Dollars on HDMI Cables.. for Science

ColinLTT

Thanks for testing the Belkin braided cable. I've been using it for more than 2 years, along with the 3.3ft one, to connect my Apple TV - soundbar - LG TV.

Does this mean all shield/gnd pins are connected together instead of being separate? What would be the impact of this; does it really matter since they are just shields?

image.png.4024a810e6bcef5f0a93a97f21bbc8bb.png

I picked this cable because I was having issues with CEC volume control failing from time to time, with many other cables.

I figured since this one is so expensive it shouldn't have any issues. After that I concluded it was a software bug later fixed by Apple, but I still have CEC issues once every few months.

Ironically Apple sells the cheaper non-braided variant in their store 😄

3 minutes ago, Steven9595 said:

Am i crazy, or is there no where that says what cable is which? No links, etc?

Some of them have links embedded in the brand name on the spreadsheet, most do not describe the specific model though. Im assuming they tested the most recent models at different cable lengths.

*Watches Video, then pulls up Amazon Order History, Closes window with Question Marks floating overhead*   Uh Linus, by any chance you have any Cable Matters brand HDMI cables on hand?  I have over a half dozen (various lengths) of these floating around my house and I'm left wondering whether or not I got screwed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XYSSTVQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was really hoping to see some Prime Cables brand on this list. To see if they were any good I just picked up some 2.1 "certified" cables. 

I'm sure there are plenty of "high-end" cable manufacturers that produce snake oil and sell it as better. Marketing is one thing and performance is another.
Reputable higher end companies like audioquest, which you featured as part snake oil, certainly has some awful marketing when we're getting into the subject. The higher end cables made by audioquest do show increased performance if, and only if, you're running on incredible equipment. Imagine $3k per tower speaker from a brand like Bowers&Wilkins, or MartinLogan, but they also would obviously need to be driven by equipment in the thousands as well like Anthem or a nicer Marantz. It could be a really cool video idea to reach out to Audioquest or one of these speaker brands as most will swear by Actually Reputable brands like Audioquest for their cables.

Anecdotally I've personally heard the performance of cables from insignia, to rocketfish(which you guys didn't even test as the main good cable brand of Best Buy) through the product stack of Audioquest, on Electrostatic MartinLogan speakers. Driven by a 2ch Marantz amp, utilizing very thick and again, high end speaker wire.

I think what you're doing as a whole is really important, but when you're not representing higher end devices that are much more sensitive you're doing your audience an injustice in not looking out for when we want to go baller on a theater room like someone else we know... Linus! xD

This worries me for when I eventually upgrade my displays from 1440p@~144hz to something higher bandwidth in the future.
As all my cables are 5m long in my setup. Could very much suck dealing with compatibility, assuming DP is no better than HDMI

You should try some DisplayPort cables. I have had issues with this really cheap one I bought being close to the power cord of my monitor. Separated the 2 and it works fine. 

4K DisplayPort Cable,KableRika DP Cable Braided 6.6Ft (4K@60Hz, 2K@165Hz) Display Port cable Gold-Plated Braided Ultra High Speed DisplayPort to DisplayPort Cord for Laptop PC TV etc-Gaming Monitor DP : Amazon.ca: Electronics

It's no longer available but it was $7.99CAD. I can send the 2 I have in for testing if needed.

You should check the cables that come included with game consoles.

Hmm looks like the Test Reports in the excel document point to an internal IP. Guess we now know the local IP of the internal data store at least.

13 minutes ago, DinoNuggets said:

Hmm looks like the Test Reports in the excel document point to an internal IP. Guess we now know the local IP of the internal data store at least.

The data packet is coming from INSIDE THE NETWORK

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

1 hour ago, Tan3l6 said:

I'm wondering if DP 2.0 cables are as bad.

I have had some awful luck with DP 2.0 cables, so I'm pretty sure it's the same if not worse.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

1 hour ago, Ninja_Commander said:

I just need to see the excel sheet, but don't wanna install a viewer. Anyway we can see this excel sheet easier?

go to google sheets, open the file.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Ninja_Commander said:

I just need to see the excel sheet, but don't wanna install a viewer. Anyway we can see this excel sheet easier?

Here you go buddy, saved it as a pdf for you

HDMI Cable Testing Results.pdf

My personal rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/139780-zalman-my-first-build/

I use it partially as a Hackintosh. Don't judge me.

literally made an account just to say i wish you guys could test the ones the company i work for sells, they have to be a scam and am sick of arguing with managers that people don't need £40 cables 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/sandstrom-hdmi-cables/home-accessories/home-cables-and-adapters/676_4851_32652_88806_ba00013951-bv00314346/xx-criteria.html

Currys are the worst for this in the uk

Has anyone else been unable to find that specific Amazon Basics cable when they search?

53 minutes ago, Connerq said:

I'm sure there are plenty of "high-end" cable manufacturers that produce snake oil and sell it as better. Marketing is one thing and performance is another.
Reputable higher end companies like audioquest, which you featured as part snake oil, certainly has some awful marketing when we're getting into the subject. The higher end cables made by audioquest do show increased performance if, and only if, you're running on incredible equipment. Imagine $3k per tower speaker from a brand like Bowers&Wilkins, or MartinLogan, but they also would obviously need to be driven by equipment in the thousands as well like Anthem or a nicer Marantz. It could be a really cool video idea to reach out to Audioquest or one of these speaker brands as most will swear by Actually Reputable brands like Audioquest for their cables.

Anecdotally I've personally heard the performance of cables from insignia, to rocketfish(which you guys didn't even test as the main good cable brand of Best Buy) through the product stack of Audioquest, on Electrostatic MartinLogan speakers. Driven by a 2ch Marantz amp, utilizing very thick and again, high end speaker wire.

I think what you're doing as a whole is really important, but when you're not representing higher end devices that are much more sensitive you're doing your audience an injustice in not looking out for when we want to go baller on a theater room like someone else we know... Linus! xD

If you can quantitatively show me that a "audiophile" HDMI cable performs better than any other compliant cable I will eat a LTT beanie. 

Anyone else remembering the 1000$ hdmi cable video after watching the Test video of all those HDMI cables?

Soo sad linus did not test this one
╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

When I first saw the video where he got the cable testing kit I was hoping I would see some longer cables tested. Of course most of the cables under 15ft are going to work. But there's a bunch of different options for fibre optic cables over 10m and I've heard they're very hit and miss. I've heard these are apparently the only option that actually pass but I've not got very good confirmation.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RUIPRO-Dynamic-Flexible-Projector-Theatre/dp/B081SHJJ3C/ref=mp_s_a_1_5

I want to hook up my PC in my office to my living room tv which supports 4k 120hz with hdr and VRR. But getting all those things working on a cable over 10m is apparently very difficult. I don't really want to drop £150 on a cable without being certain it's going to work.

Would absolutely love to see you guys test display port cables next, i have had HUGE problems getting my Spectrum Eve (yes i know kickstarters urgh) to run properly at 4k@144hz the original DP1.4 rated cable i bought just straight up didn't work, even caused my computer to freeze or restart, i think there's a whole another video in display port cables and the bullshit manufacturers say.

I'd also like to know for sure if its not the cables causing my issue but rather the monitor, so i can send it back and get a refund.

1 minute ago, Spicypeanut said:

Would absolutely love to see you guys test display port cables next, i have had HUGE problems getting my Spectrum Eve (yes i know kickstarters urgh) to run properly at 4k@144hz the original DP1.4 rated cable i bought just straight up didn't work, even caused my computer to freeze or restart, i think there's a whole another video in display port cables and the bullshit manufacturers say.

I'd also like to know for sure if its not the cables causing my issue but rather the monitor, so i can send it back and get a refund.

Yeah, that's just the Eve for you. Sorry. 

7 minutes ago, Cpt_Crunchy said:

When I first saw the video where he got the cable testing kit I was hoping I would see some longer cables tested. Of course most of the cables under 15ft are going to work. But there's a bunch of different options for fibre optic cables over 10m and I've heard they're very hit and miss. I've heard these are apparently the only option that actually pass but I've not got very good confirmation.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RUIPRO-Dynamic-Flexible-Projector-Theatre/dp/B081SHJJ3C/ref=mp_s_a_1_5

I want to hook up my PC in my office to my living room tv which supports 4k 120hz with hdr and VRR. But getting all those things working on a cable over 10m is apparently very difficult. I don't really want to drop £150 on a cable without being certain it's going to work.

Just order from Amazon and return it if it doesn't work. Active cables are not compatible with the TotalPhase Cable Tester unfortunately.