I Spent a THOUSAND Dollars on HDMI Cables.. for Science

ColinLTT
10 minutes ago, darknessblade said:

Anyone else remembering the 1000$ hdmi cable video after watching the Test video of all those HDMI cables?

Soo sad linus did not test this one

We dont have it any more 😞

Just now, ColinLTT said:

We dont have it any more 😞

Did Linus drop it??? 😛

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, ColinLTT said:

Just order from Amazon and return it if it doesn't work. Active cables are not compatible with the TotalPhase Cable Tester unfortunately. 

Ah that's unfortunate. I guess I'll just go for it and hope for the best then. 

would it be possible to create a perma form link (similar to the PSU tier list) and then put a link to a google spreadsheet that LMG updates? maybe put a QR code on the machine that employees could use and if they test a cable, they scan the code, update the spreadsheet and the community can see the data. - may not be logistically feasible but would be a cool data source to reference. If i need to buy an HDMI i can just reference the sheet and compare based on prices.

id also love to see one on ethernet/cat ratings that would be cool

Hey, the monoprice prices are all wonky. Are they that expensive in the land named Canada? I just got 4 10 feet cables for $36 USD (there's a discount if you buy 3+). I was about to plug the trigger on the Infinite Cables, but the shipping costs did not make sense for an order as small as mine. Couldn't find them on Amazon either.

I'm curious about your test methodology. Did you only test each cable once or did you retest failures? #13 looks like the only legitimate cont. failure to me, and I wonder if it might be recovered on retest.

Did you by chance save any of the "Raw Unprocessed Data"? I'd be interested in seeing that particularly on #28 which looks like it has some funky stuff going on with the tester. #20 and #38 also look like they have a bit of weirdness going on.

I'll also just add to other people saying I would be interested in a similar video on DP.

2 minutes ago, ColinLTT said:

If you can quantitatively show me that a "audiophile" HDMI cable performs better than any other compliant cable I will eat a LTT beanie. 

=( you should get your fiber elsewhere =0 But thats kind of the thing, its in the listening that you'd be able to hear the difference. There isn't enough details or analysis present in the video to particularly see the difference on the "eye" part of it between the cables, and these are all cheaper cables anyways. I'd be interested to see what the difference is in that regard between an "audiophile" grade cable vs. a "passing 2.1 but only 2.0" insignia, are the lines more fine and more exact?. Grab just 1 of these
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/audioquest-ocean-5-4k-8k-10k-48gbps-in-wall-hdmi-cable-blue-black/6428201.p?skuId=6428201
I would under normal circumstances consider this better than insignia. Idea, the Klipsch Speaker set that was originally a part of the lounge for you guys is pretty OK. You could setup a limited test with short runs of this
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/audioquest-x-2-30-speaker-cable-white-gray/9511085.p?skuId=9511085

to a nicer receiver or amp, maybe borrow James' Anthem? You can test between a limited cable array of what you bought compared to one of the cheapest cables from Audioquest and run it all from something thats playing off of Tidal or Deezer.
I'm not saying that these cables make video better, just audio, and just audio on very very high end equipment. There's certainly diminishing returns here.
Found this video on youtube of someone from Audioquest defending their cables.

I for one am not advocating that people go out and buy the more expensive cables at $100s+, there still is a lot of markup here from them. But I am saying I work in this field of Home Theater and I'm saying I've heard the difference and its there, it exists.

13 minutes ago, Connerq said:

=( you should get your fiber elsewhere =0 But thats kind of the thing, its in the listening that you'd be able to hear the difference. There isn't enough details or analysis present in the video to particularly see the difference on the "eye" part of it between the cables, and these are all cheaper cables anyways. I'd be interested to see what the difference is in that regard between an "audiophile" grade cable vs. a "passing 2.1 but only 2.0" insignia, are the lines more fine and more exact?. Grab just 1 of these
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/audioquest-ocean-5-4k-8k-10k-48gbps-in-wall-hdmi-cable-blue-black/6428201.p?skuId=6428201
I would under normal circumstances consider this better than insignia. Idea, the Klipsch Speaker set that was originally a part of the lounge for you guys is pretty OK. You could setup a limited test with short runs of this
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/audioquest-x-2-30-speaker-cable-white-gray/9511085.p?skuId=9511085

to a nicer receiver or amp, maybe borrow James' Anthem? You can test between a limited cable array of what you bought compared to one of the cheapest cables from Audioquest and run it all from something thats playing off of Tidal or Deezer.
I'm not saying that these cables make video better, just audio, and just audio on very very high end equipment. There's certainly diminishing returns here.
Found this video on youtube of someone from Audioquest defending their cables.

I for one am not advocating that people go out and buy the more expensive cables at $100s+, there still is a lot of markup here from them. But I am saying I work in this field of Home Theater and I'm saying I've heard the difference and its there, it exists.

But if HDMI carries a digital signal, as long as the signal arrives in perfect condition at the other end of the cable, you shouldn't be able to hear any difference. Unless I'm missing something.

15 minutes ago, Louwii said:

But if HDMI carries a digital signal, as long as the signal arrives in perfect condition at the other end of the cable, you shouldn't be able to hear any difference. Unless I'm missing something.

if by perfect condition you mean no jitter too then theoretically yes

18 minutes ago, Louwii said:

If you have a local best buy near you with a Magnolia store in it, thats where I originally went to hear amazing equipment running on Not cheap cables =0 I just listened in there and later got a separate demo of the cables providing a difference. I couldn't explain the Why on that I didn't hear snake oil, I heard more in the track with better cables is all I can say

9 minutes ago, Qusai said:

if by perfect condition you mean no jitter too then theoretically yes

Well, if you watched the video, you saw that jitter in a digital signal will either be small enough to not modify the data at all (meaning small jitter won't change the quality in the end), or be too big and actually change the data. But the tests does check for signal integrity, meaning if it passes, it means you will never get degrading quality.

7 minutes ago, Connerq said:

If you have a local best buy near you with a Magnolia store in it, thats where I originally went to hear amazing equipment running on Not cheap cables =0 I just listened in there and later got a separate demo of the cables providing a difference. I couldn't explain the Why on that I didn't hear snake oil, I heard more in the track with better cables is all I can say

Wait, what kind of cables? I thought you were talking about HDMI.

so here is the next question: Which company should I buy from for DisplayPort? doing some google searches I am finding cables that are all-over-the-place (1.0 to 2.0).

there really needs to be a way to test these cables without getting some really expensive equipment... right now, I'm looking for 2.0 cable that is about 6feet for my needs. so I can be proactive for my next monitor upgrade. my current monitor port is 1.4. right now, I have no idea what version my current cable is. who knew that a company can fuck up a cable.

Do you know the definition of insanity?

I'm not sure cables failing just on continuity should be regarded as bad options, after all if they still carry the signal well then it's just reasonable to save some copper, especially if they are bundled with a monitor (meaning the manufacturer may be sending out thousands for "free").

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

23 minutes ago, GodAtum said:

The Monoprice are Ultra High Speed certified, according to their site. The Infinite Cable are rated for 48GBPS, but doesn't show that badge on their promotional images.

So I guess I might be in a pickle when it comes to what I would like setup.

Xbox Series X to a HDMI switch then have to run through the roof so a 10m cable required to my 4k projector. 

28 minutes ago, Louwii said:

Well, if you watched the video, you saw that jitter in a digital signal will either be small enough to not modify the data at all (meaning small jitter won't change the quality in the end), or be too big and actually change the data. But the tests does check for signal integrity, meaning if it passes, it means you will never get degrading quality.

Wait, what kind of cables? I thought you were talking about HDMI.

I still am. They run like crazy level digital library equipment with lossless songs on them and they utilize HDMI to the amp. Specifically when I was hearing the difference between HDMI cables, it was off of literally just an iphone using a lightning to HDMI adapter, you'd think this would affect the signal significantly if you've been following. But as with their video suggests, length is still a very large contributing factor, and for this demo they were using about 8ft hdmi cables. They started from Insignia->Rocketfish and then through 3 of the audioquest product stack that I don't remember the order since its been so long. Each time they swapped to a different HDMI, a little more detail from the song came from out of the background. Same track on Tidal each time, only difference was the HDMI cable running the majority of the digital leg of this race.

"Why didn't you test <obscure unknown brand i use> or <extremely niche cable>????!??!?!"

Basically if you're using a cable and it's working and you had no problems with it before you watched this video, there isn't anything wrong with your cable to any extent that actually matters.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

10 minutes ago, Connerq said:

I still am. They run like crazy level digital library equipment with lossless songs on them and they utilize HDMI to the amp. Specifically when I was hearing the difference between HDMI cables, it was off of literally just an iphone using a lightning to HDMI adapter, you'd think this would affect the signal significantly if you've been following. But as with their video suggests, length is still a very large contributing factor, and for this demo they were using about 8ft hdmi cables. They started from Insignia->Rocketfish and then through 3 of the audioquest product stack that I don't remember the order since its been so long. Each time they swapped to a different HDMI, a little more detail from the song came from out of the background. Same track on Tidal each time, only difference was the HDMI cable running the majority of the digital leg of this race.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not stating the difference was light and day. Each time we'd listen it sounded incredible! From the very beginning it was awesome! 6k in speakers with like a 3k amp and speaker wire that I would buy a graphics card for? It was amazing. But just changing out the HDMI was able to push the envelope just a little bit more until we got to diminishing returns. Thinking it over I think they started with at the time the Forrest cables -> Cinnamon -> Carbon. They made a big jump looking at the audioquest lineup now from Cinnamon to Carbon so we would still hear a difference and it didn't start to get muddied. After this I personally invested into some of their cheaper Ocean cables a little after this and I've not gotten a better picture. But my stereo equipment I'm fairly convinced is just a little bit cleaner. And its normally what I recommend to other people, just better than basic cables and stop there, you'll get a little more out of it and you don't need to empty the wallet to get tangible benefits.

The $1000 HDMI they tested years ago was the first video I was disappointed in personally since they didn't test it as I've outlined here. They're right, its not like its a faster cable. IMO, you're only gonna hear the difference. I'm pretty sure it was garbage anyways, the gauge on it was pretty pathetic for a $100 much less 10x.

@ColinLTT

If you guys investigated Fiber Command HDMI cables and USB Extender, that would be an AMAZING video.

Not to mention it could be a less expensive option for Linus's home gaming server...

Extending USB through almost obsolete coaxial cables seems like a novel idea, but no reviews to be seen anywhere.

13 minutes ago, WellsMethod said:

@ColinLTT

If you guys investigated Fiber Command HDMI cables and USB Extender, that would be an AMAZING video.

Not to mention it could be a less expensive option for Linus's home gaming server...

Extending USB through almost obsolete coaxial cables seems like a novel idea, but no reviews to be seen anywhere.

We already did a similar video in which I found a mummified squirrel in Linus' attic. 

Coax/Fiber/whathave you, the tech here is just fixing the USB distance problem by man-in-the-middle-ing with a better signal method. 

Hi, first post.
I just watch the video, I was actually looking for HDMI 2.1 yesterday.
I'm looking for a cable around 8-10m (Pc to my TV)

Unfortunately the video that seems promising didn't help me at all to know which one to buy, which direction to go.
I'm just lost like I was before watching the video.

What should I buy, something reliable.
ps: And why isn't there a excel spreadsheet share in this topic?
I see people making screen shot, isn't a bit ridiculous? (Sorry don't want to offend, it just... basic no?)

7 minutes ago, Scalion said:

Unfortunately the video that seems promising didn't help me at all to know which one to buy, which direction to go.

An Active HDMI cable like they said for those kinds of lengths. You'll need to look up your own reviews in terms of reliability since they are not covered in this video

ps: And why isn't there a excel spreadsheet share in this topic?

It's in the first post

image.png.bafc1dd1aec89adb5307659a640323b8.png

you can open it using google sheets or libreoffice you if you don't have MS Excel

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

This is perfect timing as I just got a new TV and needed a new HDMI cable. I'm a tad confused which of the AmazonBasics cables performed above spec though. The excel sheet lists these but the video has a screencap of a different cable for a comparison.