I Spent a THOUSAND Dollars on HDMI Cables.. for Science

ColinLTT
13 hours ago, ColinLTT said:

We dont have it any more 😞

AAH, too bad, wondered how that overpriced cable would hold up to the 5$ cheapest cable on the market

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
β•‘__________________β•‘ hardware_____________________________________________________ β•‘
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
β•‘ cpu ______________β•‘ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ β•‘
β•‘ GPU______________β•‘ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _β•‘
β•‘ motherboard_______ β•‘ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________β•‘
β•‘ memory___________β•‘ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________β•‘
β•‘ SSD______________β•‘ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ β•‘
β•‘ PSU______________β•‘ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________β•‘
β•‘ CPU cooler _______ β•‘ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________β•‘
β•‘ Case_____________ β•‘ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________β•‘
β•‘ HDD_____________ β•‘ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________β•‘
β•‘ Front IO__________   β•‘ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5Β bay]__________β•‘
β•‘ OS_______________ β•‘ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________β•‘
β•šβ•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•©β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•

Β 

4 hours ago, Trodan99 said:

Would it be possible for you guys to test brands like Ugreen and Baseus? Cause these are the 2 "most relevant" recommendation when I shop online and I am planning to buy one in the near future. Thanks.Β Also, will there be a testing on DP in the future as well?

Please add Ugreen and Baseus.

Both are quite popular brand in South east Asia region.

Btw, I have a ton of Ugreen cable in my house.Β πŸ˜…

14 hours ago, Connerq said:

If you have a local best buy near you with a Magnolia store in it, thats where I originally went to hear amazing equipment running on Not cheap cables =0 I just listened in there and later got a separate demo of the cables providing a difference. I couldn't explain the Why on that I didn't hear snake oil, I heard more in the track with better cables is all I can say

100% placebo effect or sales tricks. Cables rarely make a difference, and when they do it’s only on unshielded analog signals in a highly noisy environment.Β 
Β 

Digital cables will all sound the same. And if you’re that concerned about it, just go optical because there’s zero chance of signal interference. Anybody who tells you otherwise is trying to get you to spend your hard earned money on crap you don’t need.

Β 

I’ve worked with electronics salesmen before I became a computer engineer. Cables have massive margins, even the cheap ones. They are always going to push more expensive cables on you through any means necessary because they make good money doing so.Β 

My takeaway from this is that I should pretty much look for companies that have proven 25' (or even 50') HDMI 2.1 cables; because if they are quality at 25', their shorter 2.1 cables will likely be up to snuff as well.Β  (i.e. company is unlikely to use 2 different specs of cable to make different lengths of HDMI).

Β 

On that note, anyone know if the maximum length for non-active 2.1 cables has changed from previous specs?

18 hours ago, ConanWolf said:

go for the onn brand HDMI cables, they are a cheap Walmart brand that seems really good but i would love to know for sure
https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-Premium-HDMI-HDTVs-Cable-6-feet/635464487

6 feet for about 10 USD, its an amazing deal as long as it is what it claims to be

Was about to suggest this myself, Have a few of those here and (So far) nothing to complain about but at the same time I'm sure they aren't top-notch either. Woudn't suprise me after watching the vid if these actually do better than some of the "Name Brand" stuff out there.
Since these are commonly found in virtually every Wal-Mart these would be a good candidate to test as well since so many probrably just buy these and call it a day to get things going.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

Β 

I'd really like the same video with optical 8m+ HDMI 2.1 cables. There are many cables that claim HDMI 2.1 support, but fail miserably, basically offering HDMI 2.0b speeds or less. But as they were sold long before any HDMI 2.1 device was actually available many people couldn't test them.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Already mentioned by 5 others so I am simply echoing their sentiments: Is it possible to test Displayport? Level1techs had a whole video about how some DP cables are causing all kinds of problems. He specifically mentioned how people tended to get good results from Club3d.

Β 

Imo debunking audiophile snake oil is not as important right now. We have people struggling to get their gaming to work normally on DP and it's only going to get a lot worse when next gen DP is the norm.

Β 

Also uh, somehow Monoprice has a dp2.0 cable for sale already.

In Placebo We Trust -Β Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) -Β Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking GuideΒ |Β Skylake Overclocking Guide |Β Can my amp power my headphones?

21 hours ago, Mao_Zedong01 said:

You should try some DisplayPort cables. I have had issues with this really cheap one I bought being close to the power cord of my monitor. Separated the 2 and it works fine.Β 

4K DisplayPort Cable,KableRika DP Cable Braided 6.6Ft (4K@60Hz, 2K@165Hz) Display Port cable Gold-Plated Braided Ultra High Speed DisplayPort to DisplayPort Cord for Laptop PC TV etc-Gaming Monitor DP : Amazon.ca: Electronics

It's no longer available but it was $7.99CAD. I can send the 2 I have in for testing if needed.

Β 

Yea, I'd like to see some stats for displayport cables as well.

Β 

[edit] come to think of it... Linus certified HDMI and Displayport cables would sell great on the LTT store IMHO.

Edited by jkr4m3r

Don't spend thousands on audiophile crap, it won't change a thing, doesn't matter how many videos you'll make. We all know the results, and they'll just run away with your money, while the cognitive dissonance of the audiophiles won't allow them to get this. The propaganda machine works brutally well, even after they fail blind tests, they say things like "the test setup is not advanced enough to show cable differences", "the cable is not long enough", or "my ears got tired, but I heard it in the beginning".Β 

23 hours ago, Ninja_Commander said:

I just need to see the excel sheet, but don't wanna install a viewer. Anyway we can see this excel sheet easier?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VrRvhNYX-qO1aPZIwcyO6fhjMrns94DVJrpByMpO_SY/edit#gid=581440861

Β 

i7-8700K lΒ MSI RX 580 8GB ARMOR MK2 lΒ MSI - Z370 KRAIT GAMING lΒ G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR4-3200 lΒ Inland 120GB SSD + 1TB HDDΒ lΒ Scythe FUMA Rev. B lΒ EVGA 600W 80+ Bronze Certified lΒ Asus VG248QE 144Hz lΒ Zowie FK2 lΒ Audio-Technica ATH-AD500XΒ lΒ Phanteks P300 Tempered GlassΒ lΒ Corsair Gaming K70 RAPIDFIRE lΒ windows 10.

Β 

Question , if im wanna install a hdmi cable to my 4k projector from my pc that is 4 meters away, what your advice what cable or method i should use?
ps: can u guys test some UGREEN cables? they are quite affordable and very reputable in asia.

Timely. Β Just upgraded my 55" B6 OLED to a 65" C1 OLED... Β Never worried about HDMI 2.1 features before since my TV didn't support them but the cable that comes with the PS5 is only labeled High-Speed vs. Ultra High Speed though most people seem to do OK with that one (it passes the PS5 tests for features and DF has said it works well) and I haven't had any issues so far with it and the PS5 and C1 - though PS5 still doesn't support VRR but it can do 4K 120 on some games I believe (CoD Warzone... maybe its only 1440p 120?).

Β 

That said I find its eARC to my soundbar (Sonos Arc which supports eARC) seems to be worse than using the same bar with plain audio return on the B6. Β Not bad quality, just the TV sometimes forgets eARC is enabled and I get no sound if I switch between inputs if I am using LPCM, though its not consistent. Β Most times it works, though sometimes it loses the ARC signal and I get no audio unless I go into settings and force DD5.1 on the PS5/ATV4K. Β On my B6 never had any issues with audio wonkiness switching between inputs on it but it only did DD5.1 passthrough so I was always forcing DD5.1 anyway.

Β 

On my ATV I use an old Blue Jeans HDMI cable I have used forever (it passed all the ATV4K resolution tests - it only needs a 18Gbps 2.0 cable) and I use the Sonos supplied cable on the Arc. Β 

Β 

I've ordered 3 Monoprice Braided 2.1 cables, though only 6' length which seemed to do fine on the test (it was only the 10-15' monoprices that failed). Β Hopefully that fixes the issues eARC seems to be causing but I am unsure if it is an issue with the cables or perhaps the TV itself.

Β 

Β 

hm maybe some wire extensions for use with VR headsets. from my exp, those are SUPER pickyΒ 

WAY too much shade thrown at Monoprice in the video.

How many 15' cables did you test from someone OTHER than Monoprice?Β  ZERO!

How many of their 6' cables failed?Β  None.

How many of their 10' cables failed?Β  One out of six.

Β 

Only Infinite Cables had all 3 of their 10' cables pass.Β  Amazon did not have all 3 of their 10' cables pass.

Β 

But nobody else even had a 15' cable in the mix.Β  So, yeah, don't expect a 15' HDMI 2.1 cable to deliver 48Gb/s.

Β 

Really would love to see more testing from the slim cables which are out there.Β  The Monoprice HDMI 2.0 Slim cables are amazing in a 4K world.Β  Up to 8' in length, super easy to hide, really small form factor to tuck away behind things.Β  Having a nice thick braided cable SUCKS.Β  Period.Β  Those who have gone to slim cabling really understand how bad the thick cables are.

Β 

Finally...Β  BUY FROM MONOPRICE DIRECTLY!!!Β  The braided Monoprice cable, for $30 on Amazon is $13 from Monoprice directly.Β  Seriously, the price seemed way off on those cables, and it is.Β  Most cabling from MP is right about $1/ft. or $3/m give or take a few pesos.

9 hours ago, AV_Integrated said:

WAY too much shade thrown at Monoprice in the video.

Β 

Curious... Are you an employee of Monoprice? Coincidence this is your first post?

On 11/10/2021 at 4:40 AM, IPD said:

Ah yes, all the tired audiophile arguments I've heard defending MONSTER cable.

When ever anyone brings up monster cables, i always send them this

Β 

https://gizmodo.com/audiophile-deathmatch-monster-cables-vs-a-coat-hanger-363154

Β 

🌲🌲🌲

Β 

Β 

Β 

β—’Β β—’Β 

Hmm a cable company I would like to see is Cable Matters, not to say that they are bad or anything I would just like to see what their cables look like.

In search of the future,Β new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Lets say for sake of argument that I'm a cable hoarder because if a cable works why throw it out...

Β 

Lets say that I'm one of those people that has 20 different USBA->microB cables just because of the above

Β 

Is there a service somewhere that I can batch them all up and ship them to to get them all tested and have them come back with "works"/passed and "broken"/failed cables?

I've got an 11 year old, supposedly high quality Blue Jeans Cable brand 15' HDMI cable I had made with a heavier than necessary guage just... Because. I saw a link on the HDMI testing video description to Blue Jeans Cable, which I thought was cool... But no Blue Jeans cables were tested? You're advertising for a brand you didn't test under a video about testing cables? Lol

I mean, I love my Blue Jeans cable, but I'd love to know how their standard fare measures up.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Yeah.Β  Blue Jeans was like the one brand I was expecting, especially considering their history with the shite that is Monster.

Can you do a second episode with HDMI cables we can buy in Europe? I'll make a list:

1. Hama
  2. Club-3D
  3. Ugreen
  4. Baseus
  5. Startech
  6. Cable Matters
  7. KabelDirekt
  8. deleyCON
  9. Delock
  10. Spigen
  11. Moshi

8 hours ago, quad_bx said:

Can you do a second episode with HDMI cables we can buy in Europe? I'll make a list:

1. Hama
  2. Club-3D
  3. Ugreen
  4. Baseus
  5. Startech
  6. Cable Matters
  7. KabelDirekt
  8. deleyCON
  9. Delock
  10. Spigen
  11. Moshi

Is one of those Saturn's in-house brand?Β  Because I'd definitely recommend covering that.Β  Not sure if it's ISY, PEAQ, KOENIC or OK; been a while since I was in Europe.Β 

12 hours ago, IPD said:

Is one of those Saturn's in-house brand?Β  Because I'd definitely recommend covering that.Β  Not sure if it's ISY, PEAQ, KOENIC or OK; been a while since I was in Europe.Β 

Possibly they do sell some OEM cables branded for them, but I don't know which brand.