I Spent a THOUSAND Dollars on HDMI Cables.. for Science

ColinLTT

We told you we’d do it, and here it is! Testing a whackload of HDMI 2.1 and 2.0 cables to find out if you’ve been wasting your money on cables for no good reason. 

Data from tests is attached to this post. If you are an educator or otherwise have a legitimate reason for wanting to look at the .json files from each test I will provide them, but shoot me a DM. For most people the PDF results will be more than enough. 

461598053_HDMICabletestingdata.7z HDMI Cable Testing Results.xlsx

20 hours ago, ColinLTT said:

We told you we’d do it, and here it is! Testing a whackload of HDMI 2.1 and 2.0 cables to find out if you’ve been wasting your money on cables for no good reason. 

Data from tests is attached to this post. If you are an educator or otherwise have a legitimate reason for wanting to look at the .json files from each test I will provide them, but shoot me a DM. For most people the PDF results will be more than enough. 

461598053_HDMICabletestingdata.7z 47.2 MB · 115 downloads HDMI Cable Testing Results.xlsx 74.33 kB · 384 downloads

tldr:

expensive ≠ better

don't spend >$1/m of cable

░█▀▀█ ▒█░░░ ▒█▀▀▄ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▀▀█   ▒█░░░ ░█▀▀█ ▒█░▄▀ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█▄▄█ ▒█░░░ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▄▄▀   ▒█░░░ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▀▄░ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▄▄▀ ▒█▄▄▄ ▒█░▒█   ▒█▄▄█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄▄

...and the TL;DR version is....?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Man. I'm so disappointed in Monoprice 😞 Most of the cables I have bought are from them since they're cheap. Guess I got what I paid for.

3 minutes ago, ILoveCheapStuff said:

Man. I'm so disappointed in Monoprice 😞 Most of the cables I have bought are from them since they're cheap. Guess I got what I paid for.

As a Canadian and Linus being Canadian, I'm surprised they didn't test PrimeCables.

Intel Core i5-10600KF @ 4.9Ghz @ 1.25V

MSI Z490 Gaming Edge Wi-Fi BIOS v17

XPG D50 32GB DDR4-3200 16-19-9-36 2T (Samsung M-Die)

XPG S11 Pro 1TB and Western Digital WD140EDFZ 14TB

ASUS TUF RTX 3070 OC

Corsair RM650x

Phantek P360A with Noctua Exhaust Fans

Looking at the spreadsheet all monoprice under 10 feet passed, it was just 10 and over where it got worse.

Was there any correlation,besides certified ment higher price, between certified hdmi cables and the results you got?

I just need to see the excel sheet, but don't wanna install a viewer. Anyway we can see this excel sheet easier?

CPU: 5900X   MOBO: MSI Tomahawk x570 
MEM: G.Skill 32gb (2 x 16gb) 3600
GPU: Asus tuf oc 3080

May add the other bits of my system later on

"if you're going anywhere over 10 feet with HDMI 2.1, you're asking for trouble." - Linus

This statement was based off of only testing 6 cables from a single manufacturer...…..? This is not how you science. That sample size is way too small to make such a conclusion. Very disappointing.

7 minutes ago, PawnYourHead said:

"if you're going anywhere over 10 feet with HDMI 2.1, you're asking for trouble." - Linus

This statement was based off of only testing 6 cables from a single manufacturer...…..? This is not how you science. That sample size is way too small to make such a conclusion. Very disappointing.

If you look at the excel, there are a lot more than 1 cable, and 1 manuf.  

I usually stick to monoprice for my cables because they're more about $1/foot when you get it from their site directly, unlike the $3.50+ price listed in the spreadsheet

https://www.monoprice.com/category/cables/hdmi-cables

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=42682

image.thumb.png.5ac8915ad3f8d16825d46bb98a0a5c05.png

Given the results though, I might look at other options moving forward. However it should be noted that a lot of this matters primarily fir higher resolutions. Most of my TV's are still 1080p for now. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

"I Spent a THOUSAND Dollars on HDMI Cables.. for Science"

OUCH.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

27 minutes ago, Ninja_Commander said:

I just need to see the excel sheet, but don't wanna install a viewer. Anyway we can see this excel sheet easier?

HDMITestingResults.thumb.PNG.f2618589055248a40be0391d9c5c17b9.PNG

This is a screenshot of the spreadsheet. I made a few adjustments to column width to clean things up, but all the data is untouched. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

26 minutes ago, Ninja_Commander said:

Just drag the file into google drive, it should open it automatically. If you want a free viewer get libre office or open office.

21 minutes ago, tkitch said:

If you look at the excel, there are a lot more than 1 cable, and 1 manuf.  

Look again. They only tested six 15 foot cables.

Would be nice if you could check out Hama. Don't know if you have them in de US/Canada but they're very prevalent in Western Europe.

Maybe check some other European brands for your overseas cousins? 😄

I dont come to the forum very often but for this... i had to.

DAM VIVIFY cables... all your ads thrown at me and still failed... i wonder if they will reduce the ads

Am i crazy, or is there no where that says what cable is which? No links, etc?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4.7GHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 | Motherboard: X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB | Case: NCase M1 v6.0 | SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB, 860 Evo 1TB | CPU Cooler: H100i ELITE CAPELLIX | MonitorsLG 27GN950-B 4K 165Hz |